Things that cancel/prevent/resist Natural Healomancy(?)

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Things that cancel/prevent/resist Natural Healomancy(?)

Postby Berserkas » Wed May 14, 2014 2:55 pm

Not sure healing at the start of turn/dawn? is natural healomancy, but it seems best to call it that, considering what I know of Erfworld's mechanics.

Now then, at first, we have been shown that start of turn is supposed to heal you to full hp, no exceptions; unless you're incapacitated, of course. But otherwise, you can have an arrow in your side, be chopped to near pieces, but if you have at least 1 hp remaining, you'll get healed to 100%. Caesar recovered from exactly that in one text update. http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/ ... mission_47

However, we have later been shown several things that ignored the "heal at dawn" rule: First was Olive's heroine buds. The addiction didn't go away, if you used them, you'd eventually croak, if you stopped using them, you'd croak even faster. They were a product of a link-up, containing a whole mash of disciplines, and we know things like that are usually powerful. Was that the reason? Or is it because they were poison? does being poisoned not allow you to heal at dawn?

Second thing was one we learned about, very recently, from Digdoug: the never before mentioned branch of magic, Winemancy. :D His hangover persisted after dawn aswell, despite the healing that was supposed to happen. This brings credence to the "poison/poison damage does not get healed if you're still poisoned" theory, since getting really, really wasted is alcohol poisoning, even if it's not lethal. And here I thought you could drink all you want in Erfworld and not have hangovers, since everything should just get healed at dawn.

Third thing could be something else: way back in book 1, it took Wanda more than one day and help from a Thinkamancer to recover from her mental trauma caused by the backlash from Jillian breaking Wanda's control. Since heroine buds also had thinkamancy in them (Charlie removed the addiction via a Thinkamancy/healomancy process), it may be possible that only physical damage is healed, and damage caused by thinkamancy might be irreversible without another thinkamancer's help, which makes that branch of magic extra-scary.

So, thoughts? I can see why Thinkamancy-inflicted damage wouldn't be healed - it's physical healing, and what makes a "right" state of mind, anyway? But why wouldn't a purely physical damage poison be healed? Is this a "special" poisons have - you can't be healed until poison is removed, even if the poison itself is non-lethal?

Edit: also, as per topic name, are there any other things that I missed that appear to mess with the heal at dawn mechanics?
Berserkas

Re: Things that cancel/prevent/resist Natural Healomancy(?)

Postby Silversought » Wed May 14, 2014 3:06 pm

"The final stage of the wine’s power over Digdoug was a dark and painful one. Apparently, the joy it had given him needed to be repaid immediately, in the currency of headaches, nausea, and exhaustion.

An hour or so before dawn,"

Digdoug didn't suffer his hangover after dawn. It was before the start of Homekey's turn / dawn that he was dealing with it.
Silversought

Postby Berserkas » Wed May 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Silversought wrote:"The final stage of the wine’s power over Digdoug was a dark and painful one. Apparently, the joy it had given him needed to be repaid immediately, in the currency of headaches, nausea, and exhaustion.

An hour or so before dawn,"

Digdoug didn't suffer his hangover after dawn. It was before the start of Homekey's turn / dawn that he was dealing with it.

Read more of it:
“Are you ready?”

Digdoug nodded. The tower was full of juice, even if he wasn’t. His head still hurt, but this was his fight to lead.

"Sire?" asked Peck.

http://www.erfworld.com/page/5/

That was well after dawn, when they were already in the tower, getting ready to repel the Archons.

I guess the question is: do you get healed at the start of turn, or at dawn?
Edit: this page seems to imply food pops only when your turn starts, so maybe you get healed only on your turn aswell. http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F104.jpg so DigDoug might have healed when his turn started. But that still leaves Olive's poison flowers/Thinkamancy.
Last edited by Berserkas on Wed May 14, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Berserkas

Postby Silversought » Wed May 14, 2014 3:14 pm

Healing happens at start of turn. My mistake about the dawn / start of turn thing, since Numlock invaded. XD

(Healing example is Word of Titans about Jillian recooping her injuries when Wanda's turn starts. Prisoners share turn with captors.)
Silversought

Postby SNfinity » Wed May 14, 2014 4:29 pm

Notably, Jillian is still in pain after her wounds heal from Wanda's torture session in Book 1. Maybe damage is healed, but pain remains?
SNfinity

Postby Silversought » Wed May 14, 2014 4:34 pm

SNfinity wrote:Notably, Jillian is still in pain after her wounds heal from Wanda's torture session in Book 1. Maybe damage is healed, but pain remains?

Hm. When I read that, I suspected it may have been because (entirely an assumption) Wanda used some kind of spell to loosen Jillian's lips, and with the end of the spell, Jillian was suffering the anguish of having given away that much information. Or possibly some kind of anguish related to a loyalty stat issue, to go out on a limb.

I doubt pain itself remains, but it's also possible that the long-term suggestion spell Wanda cast on Jillian had some harsh effects?
Silversought

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Wed May 14, 2014 10:08 pm

Well, what Wanda got from the thinkamancy backlash was incapacitation, just like Jack got from breaking the tri link. Incapacitation seems to have a verity of possible effects, ranging from 'disables, but goes away at start of turn' to 'disables, and kills at start of turn'. I'm guessing that the thinkamancy backlash is something like 'partially disables, and has a chance of going away at start of turn'.

As for the hero buds, that's a more curious case. It could be a variant of the thinkamancy backlash, only instead of having a chance to go away each turn, it has a chance to kill. Jojo did something similar it seems, with keeping Sylvia alive after being incapacitated in a fire. That's left fairly vague, but it was the sort that resulted in death at start of turn, but Jojo prevented that (why he didn't hire a healomancer, I'm not sure) and eventually revived her. Perhaps he changed it to something similar to the thinkamancy backlash incapcitation where it goes away eventually.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Return to Everything Else Erfworld