Art change

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Art change

Postby Didgin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:44 pm

While the new artist, Xin Ye, is meeting the awosome standards of his predessessor, I couldn't help but notice a change in something I thought as plot related and not just an artistic style. On page 3 you can clearly see that Ansom, Ossomer and Tramennis all have a relatively "earth-human" head, instead of the huge head erfworlders tended to have on the last book (I think Parson noticed that there). Ansom used to have such a head. For me, that was one of the things that made erfworlders feel "cute". I think once you change that you loose something important.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not flaming anyone, and the rest is great. It's just that I feel like something is missing there.
You're not your character class.
You're not how much GP you have in the bank.
You're not the airship you fly.
You're not the contents of your item list.
You're not you fuggin' armor.
You are the all-fighting, all-spellcasting heroes of the world.
Didgin

Re: Art change

Postby Lady Nerevar » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:01 pm

the huge heads went away after about 20 pages of book 1 - by the end they were proportioned correctly (or close enough to it).

personally, i attribute the shrinking heads to signamancy (or a sort). Parson is viewing the world as real now (as opposed to when he was first summoned, when everything was foreign and gamy), so it makes sense that the people look real to him - and therefore us as well.
Lady Nerevar

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:02 pm

It's an old and gradual change, visible from the first book. Changing the artist had nothing to do about it.

It is so old, and so visible, that it has been commented upon, a favourite theory being that Erfworld is changing to reflect how Parson sees it. The more real the Erfworlders feel to him, the "realer" they look.

That, or simply the authors wishing for a new direction :P

PS: ninjaed.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby gaiaswill » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Ninja'd here too:
Your observation is valid, but Xin is really just following the "trend" Jamie started. Even with Jamie, I think I read somewhere that the shrinking head thing was mostly him getting used to drawing Erfworld--it's something just that happened as he got more comfortable portraying Erfworld.

Personally, I just ignore it and try not to take the art too literally, particularly for taking measurements; it's the relative values that matter more. (How tall is Wanda? "Taller than Stanley, shorter than Ansom, much shorter than Parson," is a good enough answer.) It's like reading Garfield. In the beginning, he really was as fat and lazy as his reputation. Now he's a bipedal cartoon cat with a round belly that's "only" as large as his equally round head. It's just style.
gaiaswill
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Sable Phoenix » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:44 am

I like the new art.

Just sayin'.
Sable Phoenix

Postby Sintar07 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:16 am

I don't think there's really any canonical reason for the heads getting smaller. It's just a trend in the art.
Beware the Borg Tribbles!!
Sintar07

Postby Darkside007 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:42 am

And, really, there is a greater difference between the beginning and end of Book 1 then there is between the end of Jamie's work and the start of Xin's.

Quite frankly, I don't see any serious differences at all.
Darkside007

Postby huskeonkel » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:29 am

I think the new artist manages to capture the style and feel of erfworld quite well. We must remember that it's a new artist and we can and should expect the style to evolve in new ways as we progress deeper into the story.

One thing that struck me is that the new artist captures the "cutesy" look of erfworld better than the previous one did (not bashing him, as I liked his art too). Parson mentioned this in book one, and now I really see it. The cuteness factor just got upped a notch :)
huskeonkel

Return to Everything Else Erfworld