Maggie's personality change

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Maggie's personality change

Postby Caliphbubba » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:34 pm

Hello all.

Long time reader, first time poster...blahblahblah. I searched the archive and didn't see a topic about this so...here it goes.

I was just reading through the summer updates again last night when I had a thought. Thinkamancers are the 'hub' of the link so to speak when casters are linked together as I understand it. And when they are broken they usually sheild themselves from most of the backlash. But recently personality quirks have been showing up in Maggie's behavior. I was thinking maybe some of Misty bleed through the buffer and is responsible in part for here changes.

what do you all think?
Caliphbubba

Re: Maggie's personality change

Postby SteveMB » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:35 pm

We haven't seen all that much of Maggie's personality until recently, so how do you figure that it's any different, really?
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Caliphbubba » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:46 pm

She seemed very stilited in Book 1. Since then she has gradually lightened up. Maybe it was just the initial reaction to breaking the Link and fear that Parson was going to take out his ire on her for Misty's death.

I don't really have any good evidence, now that I think about it more. It was just a feeling I got when re-reading...like all of a sudden it "clicked".

I suppose it might have to do with the idea I have in my mind about Margaret Thatcher, who I assume she is based on.
Caliphbubba

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:57 pm

We didn't really get much of a read on Misty's personality in Book 1, so it's hard to say whether it leaked into Maggie.

The only personality trait I personally picked up on was 'curiosity', which I kinda assumed would be a standard Lookamancer trait. :D
MarbitChow

Postby atteSmythe » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:46 pm

I think any change in Maggie has to do more with her finding an intelligent, competent, caring leader to follow than with any bleed-through from the links.
atteSmythe

Postby DevilDan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Part of what we're seeing is her warming to Parson, getting to know him better.

And Parson, of course, engenders a different atmosphere than might normally exist between warlords and casters.
Last edited by DevilDan on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Caliphbubba » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:06 pm

you guys are probably right. Thanks for sharing your views! I'm sort of new to this forum thing, so thanks for bearing with me.
Caliphbubba

Postby Raza » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:59 pm

atteSmythe wrote:I think any change in Maggie has to do more with her finding an intelligent, competent, caring leader to follow than with any bleed-through from the links.

This seems to be the simpler explanation.

Also, we really don't know enough about Misty's personality to recognise it anywhere. From a realistic perspetive it 'might be true', but from a storytelling perspective if they'd wanted this to be revealed in the future we should have been shown more of Misty before she croaked.
Raza

Postby Lord Kasavin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:48 am

I like to view Maggie as a stereotypical Brit.

Sure she seems all former and proper on the outside. However, do a little digging and you'll find a dirty, filthy mind that revels in absurdity.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Return to Everything Else Erfworld