Prehendo Victoria

Words in a line. All fanfic goes here, Erfworld or otherwise.

Re: Prehendo Victoria

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon May 19, 2014 12:40 am

The four ICEY 130s flew in a tight formation, soaring over the thinning forest hexes. Though he couldn't see them through the small windows, Tyrin knew the other three were out there, as well as GroundRunner's starfighter. "Entering enemy hex now." The pilot called back. Immediately the plane shook as it began firing. Tyrin concentrated, focusing on his units. Without real sight outside the plane, he couldn't tell exactly what was going on, but the slowly dropping hits of the four ICEYs was clear enough there was ground fire.

General GroundRunner appeared in his mind. "We are taking heavy fire. The tower is heavily fortified and has many heavy ranged units. I will draw their fire."

Tyrin moved to the cockpit of the plane. Out of the front window he could see the hell of the battlefield play out. The city's tower was being bombarded by the ICEYs, but the planes were taking just as many hits. As if the ground fire was attracted by his thoughts, the plane shook hard.

"Left engine is hit." The pilot said. "Sir, we're going to have to turn back, we're leaking a lot of fuel."

"Hold your course, pilot." Tyrin said. "We need all these troops here."

"With respect, sir, if we get shot down then there won't be any troops surviving on this craft." An alarm sounded in the cockpit. "Left engine is on fire. Sir, if we don't leave we are going to go down."

"Drop the ramp." Tyrin said, and the gunner hit a switch to drop the ramp. "Land this thing, use the guns to keep enemy forces away from it. When we take the city we can repair the plane."

"Aye, sir." The pilot frantically hit some switches.

"Stay safe." Tyrin said, heading for the back. The ramp was down, and five tinuit soldiers with kieshus strapped to them were standing on its edge. "See you at the bottom." He said, and they began to leap off the edge. Tyrin stood at the edge of the ramp. He felt the plane begin to tilt, and jumped. Looking back, he saw the engine burning fiercely, and there were a lot of holes in the wings and hull. He saw GroundRunner's fighter fly tightly around the tower, then the General leapt out of the craft before it landed hard on the parapet. A bright beam of blue light leapt from his hand, the weapon on his hip was some sort of light-powered sword. He bisected enemy archers, kicking and cutting left and right. The Jade Eyes were surely a powerful lot. At least they were on his side....for now.
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:59 am

Rime sent a spray of blood into the air as Tyrin slashed a throat out of an Espagnian soldier. This city was far more fortified than his reconnaissance had led him to believe. Two of the ICEY-130s were downed, and the other two would have to retreat soon or face the same fate. GroundRunner had done a number on the heavy archers on the tower, but a seemingly endless stream of shockamancy was still firing from it. A few more ICEY hits, and the tower would fall, but it was all up to fate now.

A mental check on his units showed of the forty mixed troops dropped, ten kieshus and eight tinuit infantry were alive. GroundRunner had disappeared, but Tyrin was sure the mighty Jade Eye was still alive. Tyrin himself had several stinging wounds, but he would be fine. He couldn't see any other enemies nearby, so he made a sprint for the tower. Several near misses by arrows indicated that there were still some archers around, but he left his troops to handle them. He felt pulled into the tower, like someone had a string attached to him and was reeling it in. This feeling pulled him down the steps into the dungeons below. It was dank and musty. He was slowly pulled down the hallway to the third cell on the left. He carefully opened the door, and saw GroundRunner, suspended in the air by some sort of blue energy, barely conscious.

"Don't....." He said as Tyrin approached. "...trap...."

A familiar laugh from behind made Tyrin turn, Rime at the ready. In the doorway was the carnymancer he had faced off against all those turns ago. This time, his gaudy clothes were replaced with a black robe, similar in most ways to the Jade Eye's garb.

"This is too much of a prize. First, the chosen one, and now the real prize walks into my trap."

"Surrender now and I won't cut you apart bit by bit." Tyrin said, levelling Rime at the carnymancer.

"Oh, my dear Regus, why would I surrender to you?" His eyes glowed red. "Its my duty as a deletionist to remove you from existence. And I will delete you." He raised his hands and lightning shot from them. Tyrin intercepted it with Rime, the mighty sword absorbing the energy.

"My name is Tyrin." Tyrin sent the energy back at the carnymancer. The force of the blast sent him through the doorway and broke the door across the hallway.

"I see you have found a useful trick..." he said, slowly climbing to his feet. "Tricks are my department." He threw his cloak at Tyrin, blinding him momentarily. As he threw the cloak to the ground, the carnymancer was running down the hallway towards a masonry wall.

"Wrong way, carnymancer." Tyrin said, following him. "There is no way out there."

"For me, there is always a way out." He reached into his pocket and threw something at the wall. Black paint appeared all over the wall in the size of a tunnel. The carnymancer disappeared into the paint, like it had been a real tunnel instead of a drawing. Tyrin reached the wall seconds later, but it was indeed solid stone. He cursed, and as if on queue, the city became an IceVale city.

Tyrin returned to the cell and released GroundRunner from his restraints. He would survive, and be good as new in the morning. For now, they had to regroup and rearm. The carnymancer knowing that he was here meant a lot of bad things would be coming their way. Jackson approached leading a handful of Espangian archers he had captured. "Sir, does the general need assistance?"

"No, he will be fine." Tyrin sat down heavily on a bench in the cell, the weight of the near future weighing heavily on him. "What is the status of the city?"

"Banged up, but not horrible. The air assault means the outer walls are more or less intact, they took some stray ICEY shots. The Dungeons are untouched..." He looked at the broken door across the hall. "Almost untouched, and the tower is damaged but still intact and at full juice."

"How is it at full juice, its been shooting all day."

"One of the prisoners said the carnymancer changed the rules so that one particular air defense spell didn't cost any juice. That's the only spell that was being fired."

"I'm not sure it works like that, but we have a tower with full charge, so I won't question it. Casualties?"

"Twelve dead kieshus, three badly wounded, five lightly wounded. Twelve dead stabbers, four critically wounded, four badly wounded, including myself. Two ICEYs were shot down, but one may be recoverable. Crew survived on both. The two left in the air are badly damaged, one lost its pilot, the other lost its chief gunner. GroundRunner's fighter and golem are both okay."

"Very good, Jackson. Get the defenses ready for a counter-attack."

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:00 pm

Five turns of heavy attacks and bombardment had left Barabon only a city in name. They had cannibalized two of the downed ICEY's guns for defensive emplacements, and GroundRunner and Tyrin made frequent raids into the enemy camp to wreck as much siege as possible. They met more and more resistance each time, this last turn not even making it to the siege, but slaughtering a stack of heavies instead. More and more of the enemy troops were metal golems, bipedal and almost human but with odd cylinder heads, and an annoying grating voice when they spoke. A few even had command abilities, surely this was more carnymancy. Rime and the Jade Eye's weapon had little trouble cutting through them, but their sheer numbers were astonishing.

"Where do these keep coming from?" GroundRunner asked, cutting one of the attacking golems in half. "There's no way they have enough cities to keep popping these."

"My guess is the carnymancer has something to do with it." Tyrin said, launching lightning from Rime. He was strong enough now to channel the spell directly into Rime each morning, with a little juice left over, but he felt it best to keep people thinking the sword was casting the few spells he used. "Down!" He threw himself to the ground as the area erupted with an explosion. The enemy siege was firing indiscriminately, not caring if their own units were hit as long as they inflicted damage on the defenders. "We can't hold this." He fled back to the gun emplacements, GroundRunner close behind.

"Suppressing Fire!" Jackson yelled, and the handful of remaining units fired at the golems following Tyrin. The Tinuit soldiers had quickly commandeered the enemy's weapons, which fired a modified Hoboken. They didn't have much charge, but discarded blasters were in ready supply on this battlefield.

"Status, Jackson?" Tyrin asked, sheathing Rime in a fluid motion. It was not nearly the convenience of GroundRunner's energy sword, which could be turned off and clipped to his belt, but even when magic failed, Rime was still a sword.

"These three and one in each turret are it, sir. We have ten rounds for each turret. We had a couple ICEYs raid the enemy camp on our turn, but it doesn't look like they did enough."

"Kieshus?" He asked, but the lack of a stack bonus on any of the soldiers told him the truth as sure as Jackson's head shaking. "Okay, keep everyone down and keep the golems at bay as best you can. GroundRunner and I will go out for another diversion shortly." Tyrin sat down hard against the defensive pile of rubble. The math said that they should be winning this war easily simply because of the power of the ICEYs and Rime. The massive amount of enemy troops told another story. He closed his eyes for a moment before the scream of more incoming rounds woke him. The sky had darkened a lot, and he wondered how long he had slept. Looking around, there were now only Jackson and one other Tinuit firing. The rest were huddled in heaps where they had been standing. Looking over the parapet, GroundRunner was cutting a swath through the enemy troops, and then disappeared into their mass. The glowing blue of his blade disappeared.

Tyrin stood slowly. The rage of the battle around him thundered in his head as well, as if the entire battlefield was just a projection of his own mind. Jackson's face boiled away as two blaster shots connected between his eyes. The other tinuit raised his hands in surrender, but was gunner down too. He felt the chill of Rime in his hands.

"No, sire, you aren't ready..." The crown on his head spoke softly. The few times she spoke to him lately she grew fainter and fainter, as if her hold on the real world was fading. Tyrin didn't care. This battlefield was wrong and he would right it. First was GroundRunner's sword. It didn't belong on the ground, but instead in Tyrin's hand. As if the thought summoned it, it flew from the mass of enemies and into his outstretched hand. He ignited it, holding the blue beam in a reverse grip, and swinging Rime with one hand. He was a whirlwind of death, scattering golem parts to the winds. Rime spewed lightning and fire readily, as if charged from thousands of spells. The golems kept coming, and Tyrin and Rime kept slaying them. A mountain of golem parts was growing around the city.

Tyrin felt himself start to slip away. It began with dimming of his vision, everything went gray. Another explosion of fire, and the edges began to black out of his site. Lightning arced across the battlefield, and the world sounded like it was miles away. A dozen golems ripped apart by sheer telepathy, and he stumbled to one knee. An explosion of energy and force to send the gathering golems away, and he couldn't get up. He stumbled again, and crashed to the ground. Rime and the energy sword flying from his grasp and the world fading completely to black.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:39 am

Chapter 6: The Great War

Tyrin woke. His whole body was numb, and he felt weightless. The world around him was blue and bubbly, as if he was in some sort of weird champagne. Outside the blue, there were figures watching him. He touched his face, and found some sort of mask. He was suspended in some sort of liquid, and the mask was allowing him to breathe. He felt a tug on the mask, and looked up. There was an opening with another figure standing there. He swam up, ready to spring on the figure if it was hostile.

"Are you feeling better, Lord Tyrin?" The figure asked. Blinking the blue liquid out of his eyes, he recognized Binowa from the thinkagram. If a Jade Eye was here that meant the city had held, somehow. "We saw the remnants of the fight. You managed to destroy all the enemy forces that could reach the city before succumbing to your injuries. Had we not arrived at the start of the turn, you would not have made it." The memory of the fight was hazy at best. Tyrin touched his head, and found something missing.

"Where is my crown?" He asked. The odd sensations of the liquid had dulled his mind to the missing sensations of flame and ice around his temples. "And Rime and my other gear?"

"Lost, the ice crown was. Melted it has." A small, hunched figure said. The cloak he wore and energy sword at his belt showed his status as a Jade Eye. "Safe, your weapon is."

"Lord, Tyrin, this is Master Doay, he is the eldest of our order, and our most powerful Jade Eye Master." Tyrin nodded to the small Jade Eye. He finally took the opportunity to look around. Dozens of soldiers in silver armor milled about. More airships, similar to his ICEYs but with lighter turrets, flew around the area, dropping off supplies and troops. There were also a dozen Jade Eyes performing various tasks.

"Master Binowa, I thought you said the Republic had no army. This appears to be a well equipped one."

"These are mercenaries from Nikoma. When I was investigating the assassination, we came across the Nikomans who happened to have a well equipped army ready to sell us. Apparently one of our Jade Eye Masters visited them many turns ago and commissioned the army. Very strange, but fortunate that we had them."

"Fortunate indeed for young Lord Tyrin it is. Without the chrome troopers help, certainly dead would he be."

"How is General GroundRunner? Did he survive?"

"My apprentice was only knocked out by the enemy. They wanted to take him prisoner it seems. His pride is injured, but it deserved a good knocking around to trim it to size. He will survive."

"I'm glad to here it." He mentally ordered Melody and the Doctor to head to the city as quickly as possible. "I'll have a dirtamancer here before the end of the turn. We can fortify the city and begin making plans for another offensive."

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Previous

Return to Fiction, Poetry and Essays