ReccaSquirrel's Irrelvant Writing Thread

Words in a line. All fanfic goes here, Erfworld or otherwise.

Re: ReccaSquirrel's Irrelvant Writing Thread

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:14 am

Oh dear God. "Don't start a sentence with a conjunction"?!

There is a whole blog of PROFESSIONAL Linguists hammering, over and over, the point that such rules ("avoid the passive", "don't split infintives") are complete and utter crap by any reasonable standard other than a curmudgeon's whim. Usually the curmudgeon in question being one of Strunk or White.

They also have other interesting stuff. You can find them here.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby myrddin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:56 pm

I'm working on two books at the moment(not that they'll ever get published, but still), one is an incredibly cliched fantasy story called the heart of dragons that I cannot seem to come up with an original storyline for; the other is an entirely created by norse saga which is in the traditional 8-line stanza format.
myrddin

Postby ReccaSquirrel » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Finished my second draft yesterday. I'm taking a break before I go back to it.

“The rule which forbids ending a sentence with a preposition is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put.” - Attributed to Winston Churchill
ReccaSquirrel

Postby PhoenixTalion » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:20 pm

I'm a 'writer' in the loosest sense of the word. I like doing it, but I don't know whether I have the attention span to stick with anything of real length. I write fanfic, and I'm working on an original (for a given value of the term...) fantasy story, which is more 'worldsetting notes and disconnected junk' than actual writing at the moment. I'm fond of babbling about it to anyone interested, because it helps me suss out my own ideas.
|Icons|Art|Fanfic|

"The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa."
~Robert Heinlein
PhoenixTalion

Previous

Return to Fiction, Poetry and Essays