Book 2 – Page 17

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 17

Postby Raza » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:24 pm

BCCroaker wrote:
Raza wrote:But why shouldn't she?

Rules are just stuff people make up, not actually part of reality. Doing anything but picking, choosing, rejecting and inventing what you like is going to result in a boring, unfulfilling life lived by other people's standards.

And hanging around webcomic forums.

True, if you're of the "I'm here because I have a boring full time office job" visitor variety, a la Keenspot's slogan. Having your own projects definitely beats passive, vicarious entertainment. But I do have those, and I'm still here 'cause Erfworld is just freaking good.
Raza

Postby dan2178 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Uh, where is Jillian not monogamous?

When she lived in FAQ, it appears that she had a relationship with Wanda. There is no evidence that she cheated on her. When FAQ fell, Jillian must have assumed that Wanda got croaked. She didn't realize Wanda was still alive until the first time she was captured by GK.

When she was a mercenary she occasionally hooked up with clients but not in a long-term fashion. There is no evidence that she was in two relationships at the same time.

When she agreed to join the RCC as a mercenary she had romantic tension with Ansom but she held off getting into a relationship even though there was mutual attraction between the two. She was involved with Wanda when she got captured but that wasn't voluntary. Plus, she wasn't in a relationship at the time as she didn't begin her relationship with Ansom until after she broke free of Wanda's influence. Later, she tried to turn Wanda but that wasn't to rekindle a relationship. It was because she still cared about her even though she preferred Ansom.

After she heard that Ansom got croaked, she and Vinny got into a relationship. This makes perfect sense on both sides. Jillian was Ansom's lover and Vinny was his best friend (Vinny also may have had a crush on Ansom). They bonded from mutual sorrow. It appears that the news of Ansom being decrypted may have ended the relationship.

At no point was Jillian in a relationship with two different people at the same time. It is unfair to criticize Jillian over that and her love life isn't exactly abnormal. Plus, I can't see how Jillian can be seen as "betraying" Wanda. Wanda sold out FAQ (of course, Jillian doesn't know that) and tried to control Jillian via spells. Despite Wanda trying to mind control Jillian, Jillian still was willing to risk her life to save Wanda. I can't see any reason how Jillian is in the wrong here.
dan2178

Postby Sinrus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:06 pm

Someone said that Wanda seems to have come to life, and I know exactly where it happened: First panel bottom row. That's the first time I saw any real emotion from her in this book.

Anyway, I love the mounts' expressions in panel 1. That's the kind of detail that Jamie always used, and the kind of thing that brought erfworld to life. Wanda is especially great in panel 6, those eyes are amazing. Hate Jillian in panels 10 and 12.

About the story itself, meh. Boring update. Jillian's charm... real or 'fiction'? I'm siding with real. Jack's doing poorly? Maybe more foreshadowing for him turning, though I myself don't think he will. The way Jillian's talking here makes me think. She seems to be likely to pick Ansom over Wanda if the situation arises. But how do Vinny and maybe even Jack fit into the hierarchy of her love?
Sinrus

Postby Joe Falco » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:19 pm

Maybe we'll see something as to why those two are attracted to one another. I don't think that has ever been explored really. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.
Joe Falco

Postby Winged » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:04 am

The best part of the whole page was the dwagon and megalogwiffin stairing each other down.
Winged

Postby fractal » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:11 am

Random crazy theory - Wanda actually wanted to decrypt Jack in order to repair him and make him happy again, secure in the new belief that his cause is just and content with his love for Wanda! It wasn't to gain control of Jack, or to save a healomancy scroll, or anything selfish like that; instead, Wanda had only an altruistic objective!
fractal

Postby Joe22c. » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:15 am

Shush. Monogamy is a product of our culture, not a universal one-true-moral-code to intimacy.

*cough* many species of birds practice monogamy. It is, therefore, not uniquely a product of human culture as you would so falsely claim.
Joe22c.

Postby Kaed » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:26 am

What's going on here with both Wanda and Jillian is toeing the line very close to outright betrayal of their alliances/own side. Sure, Wanda says she's loyal to Fate magic, but she is still technically a GK unit.

I think.

If she screws up this battle because of this convoluted tryst with Jillian, I hope Stanley disbands her =| Yes, this chapter is called "Love is a Battlefield" so I guess it's to be expected that love and loyalty will be a centerpiece to the storyline, but there has GOT to be repercussions for behaving with this amount of poor logic in a battle situation.

Wanda is, almost singlehandedly, the reason that GK is winning again. And instead of taking her own holy quest seriously she becomes tight-lipped to the former chief warlord, scraps every battle plan she had, and flies off to go chat with Jillian.

Jillian is no better, either. Jetstone is depending on her right now to defend them from the air, and the only reason she's here is to have a talk with Wanda, Jack, and Ansom.

There's supposed to no children in Erfworld, but there sure is immaturity. <.<
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby CecilThoreau » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:28 am

I love the expressions on the dwagon and megalogwiff. Made me chuckle.
CecilThoreau

Postby the_tick_rules » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:31 am

Man, Wanda and Jillian are complicated with each other.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby SteveMB » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:31 am

Kaed wrote:Sure, Wanda says she's loyal to Fate magic, but she is still technically a GK unit.

Is she? Parson concludes that she's not technically loyal to Stanley at all, and she doesn't dispute the statement.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Zeku » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:39 am

I want to help by clicking on ads, but I'm super paranoid about browsing, and noscript is having a fit with that art institute ad banner, even after scripting is activated. The others work fine.
Zeku

Postby ftl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:41 am

Kaed wrote:What's going on here with both Wanda and Jillian is toeing the line very close to outright betrayal of their alliances/own side. Sure, Wanda says she's loyal to Fate magic, but she is still technically a GK unit.

I think.

If she screws up this battle because of this convoluted tryst with Jillian, I hope Stanley disbands her =| Yes, this chapter is called "Love is a Battlefield" so I guess it's to be expected that love and loyalty will be a centerpiece to the storyline, but there has GOT to be repercussions for behaving with this amount of poor logic in a battle situation.

Wanda is, almost singlehandedly, the reason that GK is winning again. And instead of taking her own holy quest seriously she becomes tight-lipped to the former chief warlord, scraps every battle plan she had, and flies off to go chat with Jillian.

Jillian is no better, either. Jetstone is depending on her right now to defend them from the air, and the only reason she's here is to have a talk with Wanda, Jack, and Ansom.

There's supposed to no children in Erfworld, but there sure is immaturity. <.<

I think you're missing the point. Erfworld is NOT a game, it's a world with game-like physics. I remember having the same thoughts back earlier "why are the characters bothering with this messy relationship and life business when they could focus on just the strategy and WIN"! But it's not like that. Wanda's relationship with Jillian seems like it's more important to her than just winning, and that's quite normal, really - just look at real life, are there really that many people for whom their day job and their career is more important than their loved ones? How is that "immaturity"?
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby badninja » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:51 am

I get a feeling that Jillian is just leading Wanda away to capture her or kill her or something else I will cover later. Jillian is just talking to either as stated above kill or capture Wanda or separate her from the stack so that Charlie or RCC II can attack GK. I feel that this is one bad idea that is going to end badly for GK. I want to see what Stanly and arson think of this parlay, I feel that they do not approve because it breaks with the plan.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Jatopian » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:01 am

Maybe it's just late, but I don't really get what Wanda's saying in the last panel.
Jatopian

Postby AllPurposeNerd » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:03 am

I want an apology from all you haters who said crap about Xin's Wanda being ugly and unexpressive.

If looks could croak, the war would be over.
Takeoff every Sig. You know what you do.
AllPurposeNerd
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby the_tick_rules » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:22 am

Jatopian wrote:Maybe it's just late, but I don't really get what Wanda's saying in the last panel.

I believe she's saying when Jillian attcked her at the tower she spared Jillian intentionally to kill more of the other flyer units so she could use them later. Which is kinda silly to say. Like a level 9 warlord wouldn't have been a more valuable target.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby theseus2x » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:44 am

The shadowing in Panel 6 : Good shit.
theseus2x

Postby Moik » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:25 am

AllPurposeNerd wrote:I want an apology from all you haters who said crap about Xin's Wanda being ugly and unexpressive.

If looks could croak, the war would be over.

I now have a new macro for the 'chans.

Moik

Postby Cyanshine » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:45 am

Oh wow, awesome new comic :D I was surprise this was held for an anticlimax, depends on the viewpoint, I for one felt the tension rising :D While I am a hardcore fan of Jamie's artwork, the new stuff is awesome as well! Now it's the same as every time: can't wait for the next one :o
Not quite sure if Jillian really realises what is going so, so I will ascribe myself to the 'have her cake and eat it too' faction :D
Cyanshine

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions