Book 2 - Text Updates 016

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 - Text Updates 016

Postby balder » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:28 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 016

Postby Salvage » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:34 am

Good Update,simplee and to the point, I like the Don.I really enjoyed it. Is Benjimin a moneymancer? I just think that would be funny and I had not heard the name before. Poor Caesar. I also really like the way Don runs his operation very fair.
Salvage
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby spriteless » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:47 am

Apparently subtlety is the art of running with what you don't know and looking good doing so. I'm glad he never meant to croak Ceaser, though.
T'was a splendidly speedy defection.
spriteless

Postby Davre » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:52 am

spriteless wrote:Apparently subtlety is the art of running with what you don't know and looking good doing so. I'm glad he never meant to croak Ceaser, though.

Yeah, I didn't really buy that. Although, I don't know if theory is completely disproved by this update, or at least not thoroughly enough for anyone who is very attached to it. ;)
Davre

Postby Neuromancer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:06 am

I think "courtesans" should be "courtiers", there. Given that the city is guarded by Dolls, Molls, Guard Goyles, and Skanks, Don King obviously can't object too much to the former. ;)
Neuromancer

Postby Lothmar » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:09 am

Ahh, a little insight into the Economics and Logistics of Tran ^^
So there are particular units you can have/pop to maintain cities if you dont have a warlord or caster around, eh? Interesting.
Lothmar

Postby name lips » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:35 am

So far, these "courtiers" sound like the closest thing Erfworld has to "civilians." They're popped for the purpose of managing cities, advising rulers, and wandering around court.
name lips

Postby Dark Arbiter » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:37 am

Oh I am a fan of this one. Cheers for intra-side political intrigue!
"Well. You know."

"When life gives you crap, make Crap Golems, right?"
Dark Arbiter
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Sonic Screwdriver » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:37 am

Hmm, courtesans acting as an alternative to warlords for making the rounds through a city to reduce upkeep costs. They're very likely cheaper to pop and maintain than warlords with this more specialized function, or at the very least provide a greater benefit. They're obviously a sign of nobility, which is likely why we've yet to see Stanley use them, assuming that non-noble overlords can pop them. The fact they can maintain independent cities strongly hints that courtesans are Commanders (able to lead stacks, but give no bonus, like casters).
Sonic Screwdriver
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:13 am

A most enjoyable, informative update. Don's set up is interesting and really is quite different from the other sides.

So it seems there is actually "adviser" units and they are useful in managing cities... I like how WHILE Don has no time for them Slately has them around and accepts their lying and so forth as part of the whole royal thing. And no wonder TV has so many warlords, Don has a bit of a meritocracy going there, and you need lots of units competing to bring out the best. Heh I bet some of those advisers who were turned ended up with Carpool...

I'm happy he wasn't trying to get Caesar croaked and I guess this goes some way to explaining the Don heir - situations being what they are Don doesn't think Caesar is suitable for the throne and is trying the heir thing again, not that he has gone all royal mad.

Also nice to see Don is on top of things. He isn't blind to the situation he has with Caesar and recognizes Caesar has support from the warlords of TV. Also interesting to see how mishandling a popular warlord can have a recognizable impact on the loyalty of the rest of the forces.

I guess Benjamin is TV's moneymancer, I wonder what he looks like.

name lips wrote:So far, these "courtiers" sound like the closest thing Erfworld has to "civilians." They're popped for the purpose of managing cities, advising rulers, and wandering around court.

Indeed, I'm really interested in them now. I was curious when Slately updates talked about advisers and such, because we hadn't seen any sign of units that seemed to do that kind of thing outside of warlords and casters. Plus there were the guys in robes.

So a side can pop units that are just meant to talk/advise and run cities. GK doesn't seem to have any, Charlie doesn't and nor does Jillian. TV did and the Don got rid of them all. Poor guys don't seem high on pop lists, although I guess it is possible non-royal sides can't pop them and Don and Jillian are just different enough royalty. I wonder if Bea had any...

I wonder if the ones Don inherited backed his son or something like that and he made a play for the throne. He'd never trusted them, "but after his son's mistake"... hmmm.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:36 am

And here I thought it was Ansom's turn to have a spot in the text update lime-light.

But this one was nice!

And I guess Benjamin looks like Bennie Frank.

There may even be more of them.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby KiltedNinja » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:40 am

It was well worth the wait :D

And Bennie Frank? ...Benjamin Franklin perhaps..?
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Pyrates » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:29 am

But after his son's mistake, ...

Anybody knows what's up with that? I didn't realize Donnie has/had a son :!: :?:
" ... and the Vogon will do things to you that you wish you'd never been born, or, if you're a clearer minded thinker, that the Vogon had never been born."
Pyrates

Postby Dr Pepper » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:50 am

Oops. The word "courtesan" should have been "Courtier". Likewise "assignation" should have been "assignment".

Albeit, if Caesar were to go off and have an assignation with a courtesan, he'd be a lot less trouble. Otoh, Bunny would be spending a lot of juice on headache spells.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby warriortribble » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:20 am

Pyrates wrote:Anybody knows what's up with that? I didn't realize Donnie has/had a son :!: :?:

The Don had a son and daughter. From the sound of things the son was probably executed.
warriortribble
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby balder » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:02 am

Neuromancer wrote:I think "courtesans" should be "courtiers", there. Given that the city is guarded by Dolls, Molls, Guard Goyles, and Skanks, Don King obviously can't object too much to the former. ;)

Yeah you were right. Fixed. :oops:
balder

Postby Krennson » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:40 am

Huh. so warlords stats of loyalty and duty are not very helpful when what you need is altruism or philosophy.... but apparently units that DO have some sort of 'altruism' stat, like Royals and courtiers, are more easily capable of turning against a sitting Monarch.

Maybe warlords can't turn against their side without an external source to turn TO, but courtiers and Royals CAN start civil wars within their own faction?

if courtiers aren't combat-capable leaders, I wonder how they level? can you promote line infantry to courtier once they've leveled a few times in combat?
Krennson

Postby joosy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:31 am

KiltedNinja wrote:It was well worth the wait :D

And Bennie Frank? ...Benjamin Franklin perhaps..?

If not there's always the cheapest man in the world, Jack Benny ;)
joosy

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:07 am

It should be courtesans. I may be not a real court without courtiers, but it is definitely no court without courtesans. ;)

And a new unit type.... so many possibilities for speculation. How can they be popped? Only in capitals? Only by royals? Are they a subclass of warlords? Are they commanders?
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:43 am

Krennson wrote:Maybe warlords can't turn against their side without an external source to turn TO, but courtiers and Royals CAN start civil wars within their own faction?

The summer update that first featured Oss mentioned the possibility of him taking Haggar's capital and starting a new side. I'm thinking since royal heirs (or maybe just heirs in general) are one of the more flexible units in terms of choice and loyalty they might, in addition to starting kind of new sides, also be able to turn on sitting rulers, try to dethrone them. Though whether they'd succeed would depend on whether they could support or could get rid of their "parent" fast enough to avoid a disbanding.

Unless they might be able temp turn to themselves or something (like briefly becoming a barbarian by choice), so they aren't in danger of being disbanded/being ordered and supporters might turn to them as well becoming a king of rebel/barbarian force. Then a brief civil war ensures until one side is the victor - it would likely be quick since the sitting ruler would have the cities/treasury, but if someone like Caesar rebelled with the support of a large number of warlords they might be able to overcome such a challenge... heh, speculating is fun.

if courtiers aren't combat-capable leaders, I wonder how they level? can you promote line infantry to courtier once they've leveled a few times in combat?

I guess if they were capable of lvling it might be however casters lvl... or maybe they don't level at all. Though your idea might work as well, I guess warlords can be promoted out of infantry so courtiers might as well, although Don does say after he disposed of the last lot he hadn't had anymore popped.

Although now I'm also thinking of DnD NPCs (commoners and aristocrats mainly). I remember Jillian talking about how Faq was under her father in that the few warlords they had were more like clerks... maybe Welf von Ehrwald's on to something with that subclass of warlords.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Next

Return to Reactions