Book 2 – Text Updates 017

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Text Updates 017

Postby balder » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:13 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 017

Postby Pyrates » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:20 am

That DOES look like a well-defended capital :shock: Great stuff, thanks Rob&Xin!
" ... and the Vogon will do things to you that you wish you'd never been born, or, if you're a clearer minded thinker, that the Vogon had never been born."
Pyrates

Postby Ninjaguineapig » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:29 am

Looks like Charlie is keeping Parson's existence a secret. More importantly, he's trying not to let Parson know he's against them. This means Charlie doesn't know that Parson knows who's behind the missing gobwins. If Charlie knew Parson knew he was working against GK, he (Charlie) wouldn't mind letting his archons rip into Ansom's column.
Also, Wanda's going to be getting a thinkagram from Charlie soon enough. If he could get her to his side, he'd become unquestionably the most powerful force in this area of Erf.
Ninjaguineapig

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:44 am

:lol: Always trust Jillian to find the wrong spot to break agreements in.

So she was in a non-disclosure-agreement with Charlie, so she didn't tell Wanda the one thing that may have immediately turned her, but then goes amock and disrespects phase 2 of the plan anyway by leaving Wanda alone. Poor Jillian, what would she be without other tactical minds to help.

So ... thar will be blood! Or dust, as the case may be.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Gilthans » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:49 am

That is very interesting. Why doesn't Charlie want Parson to know he's against him there? Does he have some secret agreement with him we don't know about? Very interesting. What was he stressed about near the end? Did he just receive information about something he doesn't know about? Very, very interesting.

Also, I was pretty sure she was going to try and turn Ansom, not croak him. Does she really intend to kill Gobwin Knob's chief warlord, or did she just tell Charlie that's what she wanted to do?

Can't wait for the next one. :D
Gilthans

Postby tez » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:10 am

The Erfworld team have got the cliffhangers down to a science at this point. I read the update and am immediately jonesing for the next one. ARGH.
tez

Postby Davre » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:12 am

That tower is ominous. Ominous, I tell you! :shock:
Davre

Postby Rekov » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:14 am

The artwork on the tower is interesting. Are those the wings that pilots wear? Also, that thing that looks like a series of concentric volumetric flasks as a halo feel to it architecturally.
Rekov
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Lawd » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:16 am

Did Charlie ever seemed stressed or anxious? In one of the summer updates he seemed a bit... well, more emotional, I guess. But he always gave the impression of coolheadedness. And a "developing situation"? That could sound like that Gobwin Knob has some tricks in their infantry regiment, but we have not received a single clue in that direction, so I'm crossing that off as a possibility. Other possibilities are: Charlie spoke to Parson/ Wanda/ the RCCII. Parson seems a obvious one, as they have spoken on several occasions. The RCCII doesn't really trust Charlie. And Wanda? Those two forces combined (or three, with Faq) are a bonechilling accumalation of power.
Lawd

Postby robak » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:22 am

Well Charlie could definitely help pulling GKs keister out of the fire, so it might have been Parson or Wanda contacting him for help (Thinkamancer-Foolamancer linkup for example? Good luck finding that force that should be somewhere in your airspace), or it might have been his hidden gobwin allies? Or something else just happened that he didn't expect. The tension!!!
robak

Postby Megaduck » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:08 am

Wow, Charlescomm looks creepy. I LIKE it!

It's also interesting that No one but Charlie knows about the Eldrich Abomination that Stanely had Wanda summon. I'm trying to imaging how that conversation will eventually go.

"Well, remember how the attack on Gobwin Knob was going fine and then it all went to boop in a handbasket? Stanely summoned something... something ... Horrible."

The question I'm having is who's going to tell Jillian? Charlie... or Ansom?

*Edit* I was actually thinking the Tower had a Tron feel to it rather then a Halo feel.
Megaduck

Postby -D- » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:28 am

The plot thickens. I think things are finally starting to move more rapidly. Also, as mentioned, Rob has outdone himself. I can't wait for three more days. I WANT IT NAO!!! ;)

Xin's drawing of Charlescomm reminds me of a computer case. Which is appropriate seeing Charlie is an Evil CEO (NDA and EULA's) like IBM and MSFT.
-D-
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby valce » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:33 am

I don't think Charlie wants to keep GK in the dark because he wants Parson to work for him...

It seems like he's just up to his old tricks, playing both sides of the board. Except this time it seems like he's more intent on helping the Royals than helping GK. On the other hand, if he accepted GK's employment and backstabbed them it would be very bad for their reputation.

Hmm.... Maybe he just wants to prevent GK from knowing what else he's up to?

Wonder why he got stressed when Jillian mentioned that Wanda might work for him. Perhaps Charlie had already set plans in motion that would make Wanda no longer want to/no longer able to work for him, and he's stressed that he may lose a golden opportunity to pick up Wanda and a buttload of decrypted units?
valce

Postby CnSvnc » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:52 am

What could possibly stress Charlie? Coupled with his capital pictured, I'm inclined to think something's going on over there. Maybe some stray RCII army is attacking him? Archons finally revolted and are demanding better working conditions? Parson somehow sent some little surprise? We'll see.

And yes, we need moar updates. Can Rob and Xin make a time machine and come back to now after they finish Erf or go back some months and have it finished by now so we can have it all at once?
CnSvnc

Postby fjolnir » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:19 am

So now we know charlie wants parson BAD, bad enough to duck out of the fight with GK to maintain an aura of neutrality for this fight. Now the question is "is this where we find out the answer to 'whatever happened to the gobwins?' ?"
fjolnir

Postby Lord Kasavin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:20 am

So many thoughts flowing through my head...

1) "Developing situation..." is that Hagar? Or Tramennis? Or something else entirely? Hagar strikes me as most likely.

2) Parson has been oddly in absent in RCCII thought so far. I wonder if whatever reports they recieved of his existence (Vinnie knows, for one) have been reinterpretted as Parson being an average Warlord who was little more than a mouth piece for Toolism while Wanda came up with the strategy. Jillian herself is so focused on Stanley and Wanda that it apears she hadn't considered who else might be behind GK's ascension.

3) Charlie is apparently playing a different game here than what we've expected. Why is it so important to not work openly with the RCCII? That'd mean more good will, probably income, all things Charlies likes. Is he so fearful of Parson now that he feels he can only even the odds by keeping the Earthling in the dark? I'll have to think more on that.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby menge101 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:24 am

CnSvnc wrote:What could possibly stress Charlie?

My read of the text update was that what Jillian was thinking was read out of her mind by Charlie, and the idea that Wanda would work for him was stressing to him. IMO, because having Wanda's powers on his side would make a LOT of people fear him, and possibly cause an alliance to form around removing him from power/existence.
menge101

Postby Fixer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:35 am

Ansom is still GK's chief warlord.

If Jillian turns (or re-croaks) GK's chief warlord, wouldn't that have a pretty significant impact on KG's army's morale bonus?

Wouldn't a new chief warlord have to be assigned?
Fixer

Postby WarFAN » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:38 am

I think the "developing situation" is... that Charlie have decided to try to convince Wanda to join Charlescomm.
WarFAN

Postby build6 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:40 am

Ninjaguineapig wrote:Looks like Charlie is keeping Parson's existence a secret. More importantly, he's trying not to let Parson know he's against them. This means Charlie doesn't know that Parson knows who's behind the missing gobwins. If Charlie knew Parson knew he was working against GK, he (Charlie) wouldn't mind letting his archons rip into Ansom's column.
Also, Wanda's going to be getting a thinkagram from Charlie soon enough. If he could get her to his side, he'd become unquestionably the most powerful force in this area of Erf.

actually, i'm not so sure about that. it may be that Charlie doesn't know that Parson knows the missing gobwins are his fault, but Charlie strikes me as the kind of guy who'd factor in the possibility that Parson would find out. What I read from this is that Charlie thinks of Parson as enough of an unknown entity, and a threat, that he's not prepared to have open hostilities declared against Parson, which is actually kinda flattering to Parson I think :-)

BLANDCorporatio wrote::lol: Always trust Jillian to find the wrong spot to break agreements in.

So she was in a non-disclosure-agreement with Charlie, so she didn't tell Wanda the one thing that may have immediately turned her, but then goes amock and disrespects phase 2 of the plan anyway by leaving Wanda alone. Poor Jillian, what would she be without other tactical minds to help.

So ... thar will be blood! Or dust, as the case may be.

heh, I'm wondering about the ramifications for Jillian of ... demonstrating unreliability w.r.t. Charlie. He doesn't strike me as someone who'd "forget".

tez wrote:The Erfworld team have got the cliffhangers down to a science at this point. I read the update and am immediately jonesing for the next one. ARGH.

damn straight. I cannot wait for what all this business with Charlie having to go off is about, now!!
build6

Next

Return to Reactions