Book 2 – Page 27

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 27

Postby mhangman » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:38 am

It was bad movement for Haggar. Running to a duel with someone higher level than you? And he has pikers near him? What the hell he was thinking when he did this? Does he had any chance aganist ansom? Maybe if he didnt face him, kill pikers first than attack the strongest unit on the field and do it with your men not alone!

So all haggar forces will going to retreat i think. but still GK will going to loose ansom and his troops and many dwagons. wanda will survive and parson going to be chief warlord again. than he will march an attack and gain some xp!
mhangman

Postby Dunham » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:11 pm

Rocking out may have been what could have tipped the scale in Sammy's favor, though. Jillian interrupted it, so the fight was suddenly one-sided again, and he lost his head.
Dunham

Postby Neko » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:29 pm

Dunham wrote:Rocking out may have been what could have tipped the scale in Sammy's favor, though. Jillian interrupted it, so the fight was suddenly one-sided again, and he lost his head.

I hadn't thought about it that way...great point! ;)
Neko
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby shadowdemon_lord » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Now the question is, will Ansom attempt to bring down Jillian? Jillian seems amazingly vulnerable right now. It seems likely that Ansom brought up archers to defend against an air stack. Does Ansom order all archers to attack Jillian and/or her Megalogwiff? If Ansom manages to croak Jillian here, the Frequently Asked Questions all vaporize. This probably wont happen for dramatic purposes (although it looks unlikely that Jillian will continue fighting against GK whether or not she gets Ansom at this point). Still, it would really be a master stroke by Ansom, which would seriously injure the RCC2. His fight with Haggars forces seems all but over now that Haggar has gone down, and they no longer have his leadership bonus, or likely the rock out bonus. It'll either be a route or a slaughter.
shadowdemon_lord

Postby theseus2x » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:02 pm

I agree : We don't know what level Sammy is (was?), but I see nothing to suggest he intentionally tried to off himself. Maybe he was doing the responsible/noble thing : wait around until half your force is dead, or go and risk yourself to croak Ansom now?
theseus2x

Postby effataigus » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:28 pm

shadowdemon_lord wrote:Now the question is, will Ansom attempt to bring down Jillian? Jillian seems amazingly vulnerable right now. It seems likely that Ansom brought up archers to defend against an air stack. Does Ansom order all archers to attack Jillian and/or her Megalogwiff? If Ansom manages to croak Jillian here, the Frequently Asked Questions all vaporize. This probably wont happen for dramatic purposes (although it looks unlikely that Jillian will continue fighting against GK whether or not she gets Ansom at this point). Still, it would really be a master stroke by Ansom, which would seriously injure the RCC2. His fight with Haggars forces seems all but over now that Haggar has gone down, and they no longer have his leadership bonus, or likely the rock out bonus. It'll either be a route or a slaughter.

Definitely a good idea and possibly feasible if it weren't for her 5" thick plot armor. She is too integral to the story to die by a stray arrow at this point, sadly. Her Megalogwiff is big enough to roll over and protect her anyway.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Dunham » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:32 pm

effataigus wrote:Her Megalogwiff is big enough to roll over and protect her anyway.

Interesting notion. Can the larger units be used for cover when they die? Physically, yeah, of course, but mechanically, in the game?
Dunham

Postby Dancingrage » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:02 pm

Well, whatever Charlie's intention, he's left himself wide open for big trouble if somehow Wanda gets out of the neck-deep boop by Jetstone and gets over to the infantry stack. Even if Ansom is captured and turned (this is more likley now that his front is held up by nothing but very very angry Haggar units thanks to the frontal charge by the late Sammy) this will simply net the RCC2 the information that Parson is the mastermind of all of GK's current string of mighty successes, something I think Charlie was loath to divulge, since he's wanting Parson for himself.

On the other hand, should Wanda get back to that stack and find Sammy's corpse, boom, now Parson has more than just suspicion, but PROOF of Charlie being up to no good and trying to manipulate behind the scenes, and topping it off, not only will he know, this info will wind up in the hands of none other than Stanley, who will simply retaliate by going over and roflstomping Charlie at his earliest opportunity.

Strategically, this went south for Charlie in a hurry, GK's position in the AREA might be compromised but they're still the richest side and the new RCC is nowhere near as strong as its previous incarnation by far, most of that strength now engaged in the Decrypted ranks they face now. Parson has Stanley raking in a few Dwagons every few turns just from scouting trips with the Arkenhammer, and most importantly they still have Parson to fall back on should just about every unit die on this field.

My bet: Jillian goes to Smash-n-Grab Ansom and drags him back to attempt to turn him, regardless of if that works the RCC will be pumping him for all the information they can, and Tramennis will finally learn the might and power of this Twoll-sized warlord known to all as Lord Hamster. Sammy gets Decrypted (he really seems a great fit with GK and Stanley's brand of ROCK!!!) and Charlie wears a lot of egg on his face from all sides on this one.
Dancingrage

Postby Dunham » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:38 am

I'm not so sure Charlie's in it as deep as it seems. He's smart, kind of has to be, and he's had a good enough run of getting booped by Parson. Hard to say what, likely involving information we've yet to receive, but I don't think he's out of it yet. His actions have a motive, and it's like to be a good one.

And I really don't see Stanley going after Charlie. He might want to, but through a mix of Parson talking him down and just regulating the information that gets back to him as much as they can, they'll likely be able to prevent that nasty boop. Charlie would be an ill advised venture for GK.
Dunham

Postby Kalirren » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:46 am

Maybe dancefighting and rocking out have a synergy of some sort? I'm thinking of Stanley's little "performance" with the Arkenhammer at the secret pass in TBfGK. I was thinking that Wanda would get a new rocking out bonus if she managed to decrypt Sammy, but maybe she can already do that (Wo-PAH! HISSSSSSSS...)

Edit: Never mind. Stanley claimed the Rocking Out bonus is bigger than the Dance-Fight bonus. I'll bet that -was- the reason why Sammy thought he had a chance.

Assuming Decrypted units can be turned at all. They aren't just Loyal to Wanda - she is their whole world.

QFT. All indications have been given that the Decrypted have Duty to Wanda, not to Stanley. None have been given to the contrary.
Kalirren
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lord Kasavin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:16 am

Dancingrage wrote:...Parson is the mastermind of all of GK's current string of mighty successes, something I think Charlie was loath to divulge, since he's wanting Parson for himself.

I disagree with this. Ansom is the one currently planning the military tactics, Wanda is the one vetting them and giving out no small amount of order herself, and all this is done with the consent of Stanley. Parson's job is to rubber stamp Ansom and Wanda's plans. At best, he's the secret weapon and a mathamancy resource. That could change, but Parson does not want to be out on the frontlines leading the destruction of enemy nations for a concept he holds in contempt (Toolism).
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby build6 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:51 am

shadowdemon_lord wrote:Now the question is, will Ansom attempt to bring down Jillian? Jillian seems amazingly vulnerable right now.

no chance. Ansom'll try to TALK her into conversion first :-P
build6

Postby Zerohour » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:09 am

I think that Sammy's death might screw Charlie over. If any of the soldiers who saw the "Diplomacy" between Charlie and Sammy survive, they'll probably tell other people about it. Given some time, the fact that Charlie has the power to obliterate an entire side, essentially at will, will make people even more distrustful of Charlie's Side. I could see this leading to a new coalition to strike at the Isolated Attuned before he gets the chance to start wiping them out.

It is easy to perceive this as an internal power struggle between the Tool Wielders. They waited until Wanda was separated from her Army of Doom, and instead of aiming for the head (Wanda,) Charlie has them attack the body. This implies that he doesn't want to eliminate the threat Wanda poses, but weaken her. The fact that he hasn't formally allied with a side implies that he doesn't want his involvement known to anyone. Keeping his own troops out of the conflict means that he doesn't suffer any direct losses. Putting these together, and factoring the general dislike royals have for non-royals, it's a recipe for a forced Alliance after Charlie's machinations backfire.

Of course, if none of the soldiers survive the retreat, then that reduces the chances of this happening, but Tremennis is already suspicious of Charlie's strong arming tactics, so it could happen even if they all die.
Zerohour

Postby Cyanshine » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:41 am

Wow what an awesome update! Cool references, as always :D Thought Sammy would last longer, but maybe Wanda will decrypt him? Looking forward to seeing what Charlie's orders to Sammy are going to do to Jillian. Mixed up situation! Great art btw :)
Cyanshine

Postby Lamech » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:31 pm

This is gonna look really bad for Charlie if Wanda gets out alive, it will appear as if Charlie handed GK a bunch of units, mainly because he well... did.
Lamech

Postby The Black Hand » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Lamech wrote:This is gonna look really bad for Charlie if Wanda gets out alive, it will appear as if Charlie handed GK a bunch of units, mainly because he well... did.

Not only that, but they'll also have a(nother?) front-line Warlord capable of Rocking Out - provided Wanda gets to him in time.

If she can, with that bonus plus the Dance-Fighting abilities of herself and Ansom (and whatever bonus-granting abilities the Decrypted Archons have), Gobwin Knob would likely be unstoppable unless someone pulled off a major piece of TPK akin to what Maggie, Sizemore and Wanda did under Parson's direction towards the end of Book One.
The strength of our future lies in our past.
-VNV Nation

There is no instance of a nation benefiting from prolonged warfare.
-Sun-tzu, The Art of War
The Black Hand

Postby Dunham » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:52 pm

Perhaps Sammy, if Decrypted, won't retain his ability to rock out? It seems unlikely, if for flavor reasons alone, but they weren't sure if Casters could still cast when Decrypted, so he may just have a leadership bonus.
Dunham

Postby Lamech » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:15 pm

The plan was to use dance fight, specifically chorus rock to take the garrison. So Sammy rocking out, while good, is just one more small bit of power for GK. I bet even the hatamancer allowing for what seems to be limitless comunication between hats would be more valuable. Certainly it will be nothing compared to what the dittomancer would do if Jetstone converts.
Lamech

Postby Magothys » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Zerohour wrote:I think that Sammy's death might screw Charlie over. If any of the soldiers who saw the "Diplomacy" between Charlie and Sammy survive, they'll probably tell other people about it. Given some time, the fact that Charlie has the power to obliterate an entire side, essentially at will, will make people even more distrustful of Charlie's Side. I could see this leading to a new coalition to strike at the Isolated Attuned before he gets the chance to start wiping them out.

It is easy to perceive this as an internal power struggle between the Tool Wielders. They waited until Wanda was separated from her Army of Doom, and instead of aiming for the head (Wanda,) Charlie has them attack the body. This implies that he doesn't want to eliminate the threat Wanda poses, but weaken her. The fact that he hasn't formally allied with a side implies that he doesn't want his involvement known to anyone. Keeping his own troops out of the conflict means that he doesn't suffer any direct losses. Putting these together, and factoring the general dislike royals have for non-royals, it's a recipe for a forced Alliance after Charlie's machinations backfire.

Sammy was an enemy coerced into being an ally for the coalition. Everyone knew they would probably attack the capital instead of acting as an "actual ally" if they had the chance. Sammy's capital is exceptionally weak at this point in time, so being able to take it at will probably isn't remarkable. Strong-arming Sammy doesn't seem like something that would cheese off the RCC2. Charlie DID want to eliminate Wanda, via Jillian, but that plan failed when she buggered off. Charlie is keeping his own forces out of the conflict to keep Parson from knowing he's there, not to avoid losses.

Dancingrage wrote:My bet: Jillian goes to Smash-n-Grab Ansom and drags him back to attempt to turn him, regardless of if that works the RCC will be pumping him for all the information they can, and Tramennis will finally learn the might and power of this Twoll-sized warlord known to all as Lord Hamster. Sammy gets Decrypted (he really seems a great fit with GK and Stanley's brand of ROCK!!!) and Charlie wears a lot of egg on his face from all sides on this one.

My guess: I agree with the Ansom bit. Personally I think Wanda is going to be captured (edit - rescued?) by Charlescomm somehow and convinced to work for Charlie. Since Parson is likely to become Chief Warlord after this, Ossomer probably isn't available, meaning he either croaks (again) or joins Wanda at Charlescomm.
Magothys

Postby Goshen » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:00 pm

Good art! That is one scary multiple getting stabbed scene for Sammy, not that I feel much pity for him. His dance-fighting was lame, anyway.
Goshen

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions