Book 2 – Text Updates 022

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Text Updates 022

Postby balder » Sat May 01, 2010 4:35 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 022

Postby The Game » Sat May 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Wow. I guess the loyalty of the decrypted is something quite out of the ordinary, eh? And this will probably spawn even greater discussions whether the decrypted are mind-raped by the pliers, or if they just really care about Wanda.
The Game
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby splintermute » Sat May 01, 2010 4:50 pm

I like that Ford (ranger) actually looks and talks like Gerald Ford, but what's Captain Twenty a reference to?
splintermute

Postby Malanthyus » Sat May 01, 2010 5:04 pm

I really like this one. Even if they've been brainwashed, or mind controlled, or are nothing more than some variant of reanimated puppet...
For this brief, shining moment, they really shine through as people that you'd want at your side if the whole world went to hell.
Malanthyus

Postby Nihila » Sat May 01, 2010 5:17 pm

Malanthyus wrote:For this brief, shining moment, they really shine through as people that you'd want at your side if the whole world went to hell.

Well, yes. The decrypted are people you'd want on your side if the world went to hell what because they are brainwashed, and because their primary goal is Gobwin Knob's current primary goal, i.e., preserving Wanda. And, in this update, they are revealed to be almost as good as Parson at planning ways to accomplish this singular goal.
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby Dunham » Sat May 01, 2010 5:25 pm

I wouldn't say almost as good as Parson. He's not making a huge leap from "we have to protect Wanda" to "This is how"
But regardless, I really liked this post, in that he did acknowledge how to spend their lives best. I dunno, it's just fun seeing the average joe in the army gettin ready for an ass-kicking. Good update. Doesn't cover a whole lot, but good update.
Dunham

Postby Radagast » Sat May 01, 2010 5:31 pm

splintermute wrote:I like that Ford (ranger) actually looks and talks like Gerald Ford, but what's Captain Twenty a reference to?

I'm not American... which president is on your $20 bill? Could that be it?
Radagast

Postby Vordrax » Sat May 01, 2010 5:40 pm

Captain 20 is explained in the news section of the main page.
Vordrax

Postby Fiendishrabbit » Sat May 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Vordrax wrote:Captain 20 is explained in the news section of the main page.

Although his more famous characters were a bit more greased than the captain we see in the comic...

Well, you do see the resemblance though...
Fiendishrabbit

Postby cdrcjsn » Sat May 01, 2010 5:52 pm

Hmm...does Parson's influence extend to all units in GK? This seems very much like the "kill the siege weapons first" maneuver that he used in the first book.

Are all units actually learning from him?
Visit my webcomic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Epic Fantasy Comedy. Familiar Point of View.
cdrcjsn

Postby gazes_also » Sat May 01, 2010 5:53 pm

I dunno, does anyone really think Tramennis is going to waste his time finishing off this group while the big prize is hovering over JS?

The only force I could see attacking this group is Haggar, out for payback for Sammy. Now that Ansom in out of the picture they should wipe the floor with them. It would make sense for Haggar's remaining warlords to do that just to make sure Charlie is fully appeased.

I think the brainwashed decrypted are fooling themselves that the sacrifice they will make could in any way help their leader, or have any value at all. The delusions of members of a death-cult.
gazes_also
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Fiendishrabbit » Sat May 01, 2010 5:58 pm

gazes_also wrote:I dunno, does anyone really think Tramennis is going to waste his time finishing off this group while the big prize is hovering over JS?

The only force I could see attacking this group is Haggar, out for payback for Sammy. Now that Ansom in out of the picture they should wipe the floor with them. It would make sense for Haggar's remaining warlords to do that just to make sure Charlie is fully appeased.

I think the brainwashed decrypted are fooling themselves that the sacrifice they will make could in any way help their leader, or have any value at all. The delusions of members of a death-cult.

Well. They probably won't help. But they have to be prepared if their opponent picks up the idiotball and sends in anything but infantry (units useless against the flyers in the capital) to mop up before the big fight is done.
So in theory it's a good move, of course if the opponent knows about it there are ways to exploit something that...tactically narrow. If I was Tramennis though I would have skipped attacking that column and gone straight for Wanda hoping that the croaked will be dusted as soon as she loses control of the Arkenpliers.
Fiendishrabbit

Postby badninja » Sat May 01, 2010 6:39 pm

Huh that was interesting but I feel that they will not be attacked. Is Captain Ford a Stargate reference, I know that there was a Ford in Atlantis? Over all I liked the scout outfit that was Ford's uniform. Good update for what GK is going to due next, at least from a common warlords point of view.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Suitesned » Sat May 01, 2010 6:49 pm

I liked this update and how Ford used the word "repopped". Everyone is talking how Wanda's troops are all brainwashed, but I feel every unit is brainwashed to follow whomever they're popped under and tend to follow the philosophies of their leader. (There are notable exceptions of course.) I could see a warlord on any side making a similar speech believing it their duty and fulfilling the Titans wishes.
Suitesned

Postby Fug » Sat May 01, 2010 7:03 pm

I think that is makes sense that they will be attacked. Its a relatively large group but much smaller than their opponent so should get wiped out without too much effort. If they are not destroyed they can retreat, although it would make more sense to get rid of Wanda, see if they depop and then attack them if they don't.
Fug

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:13 pm

I really like how Captain Ford's shield is drawn. Very nice.

Also, I don't feel the repopped have ever been different than other Erfworlders. They're just on a different side now. "Puppet" is what the other side calls them. They themselves seem to have the same personalities, and the same mental capability, and the same free will (little to none) as they did before. It's just a matter of which side your on, much like how Ducan has been turned, just not repopped. Ducan has no more choice about his loyalty than the decrypted do.

We've always been at war with Eastasia.

"There is no "Good" or "Evil" side, smart guy. That is a myth. That's propaganda. Ansom and people like him like to put on airs. Nobility. Like they're not ruling by fear and violence. Psheh."
-- Stanley
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Sat May 01, 2010 7:18 pm

Nihila wrote:Well, yes. The decrypted are people you'd want on your side if the world went to hell what because they are brainwashed, and because their primary goal is Gobwin Knob's current primary goal, i.e., preserving Wanda. And, in this update, they are revealed to be almost as good as Parson at planning ways to accomplish this singular goal.

Or perhaps they are willing to throw way their "lives" without accomplishing anything at all.

Once the Jetstone pikers clear space in front of the bridge the Jetstone archers and casters can enter the hex without entering range of the decrypted archers.

Tremenis should understand maneuvers. An envelopment would allow Jetstone to leverage offense. If the archers follow Ford's orders precisely they will not fire at the flanking pikes and will get killed without shooting. Jetstone can pick up the unused bows and arrows and take them back to use on Wanda.

If they fought at the bridge the pikers would be on even terms and would last for awhile. The archers would give GK the advantage unless Tremenis advanced his archers, warlords, and casters. When the valuable troops entered the hex they would still be in range of the archers.
pSycHOtic chICkeN

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:19 pm

Fug wrote:I think that is makes sense that they will be attacked. Its a relatively large group but much smaller than their opponent so should get wiped out without too much effort.

I see what you're saying, but it really doesn't make sense to attack. At least until Jetstone destroys Wanda and her force, then everything else is too big of a risk. Always conserve your own forces until you're certain the true threat has been eliminated.

I bet Tremennis will feel the same way, although King Slately, who doesn't seem as sensible, might order an attack anyway, believing victory is at hand regardless.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Magothys » Sat May 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Nihila wrote:And, in this update, they are revealed to be almost as good as Parson at planning ways to accomplish this singular goal.

I disagree. Attacking the archery seems like an additive effect; Parson would probably go for the leadership before them.
Magothys

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Sat May 01, 2010 7:44 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:
Fug wrote:I think that is makes sense that they will be attacked. Its a relatively large group but much smaller than their opponent so should get wiped out without too much effort.

I see what you're saying, but it really doesn't make sense to attack. At least until Jetstone destroys Wanda and her force, then everything else is too big of a risk. Always conserve your own forces until you're certain the true threat has been eliminated.

I bet Tremennis will feel the same way, although King Slately, who doesn't seem as sensible, might order an attack anyway, believing victory is at hand regardless.

You would increase the possibility of failure. By leaving Gobwin Knob with intact forces they can be a threat when it is Gobwin Knob's turn. The 650 infantry are lacking high leadership bonuses and they can be enveloped. Jillian is also clearing out the fortifications where Wanda might be able to run. It also might be prudent to do something with the Haggar bodies and all of the weapons. Clearing the hex will deny Wanda and Ossomer reinforcements.

There is a high chance that Wanda will somehow survive. Especially with a masterclass foolamancer who already veiled the entire dwagon force on the march in. If Jetstone kills most of the dwagons, archons, heavies, unaroyal infantry, all of the siege engines, and removes most of the bodies then Spacerock will not fall anytime soon.

Killing the infantry should have little effect on Tremenis's attack on Wanda. If Jetstone clears the hex they can pick up the arrows from both armies. If Wanda's group can counter attack while Jetstone is shooting then the infantry and archers will be a liability. Jetstone might be better off feeding in arrows to a small numbers of archers.
pSycHOtic chICkeN

Next

Return to Reactions