Book 2 – Page 31

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Page 31

Postby balder » Thu May 06, 2010 11:32 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Page 31

Postby michaelcoyote » Thu May 06, 2010 11:41 am

"...like to hope I'd be half the queen she is" HAH!
michaelcoyote

Postby Rosa Vernal » Thu May 06, 2010 11:45 am

Bahaha.

She's totally the Barbarian Queen. "Every sentence out of his mouth could fill a chamber pot", indeed.
RIP, Grandma. <3
Mar '29 - Oct '10
Rosa Vernal

Postby name lips » Thu May 06, 2010 11:51 am

Interesting to say Wanda's not a Toolist...

I suppose she's probably a "Fate-ist," with total confidence in the destiny that Fate has in store for her. The fact that this involves the Arkentools makes her look like a Toolist, but if her Fate led her elsewhere, then she would go elsewhere.

But at the moment, since her goal is to gather together all the Arkentools, the distinction is pretty trivial.
name lips

Postby koga305 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:58 am

Nice! Love Jillian eating an apple - that just adds the touch of hilarity that I haven't seen from this comic in a long time. Drama, sure, and I like that. Tactics, yes, I enjoy that. But humor...
This post just made my day.
koga305

Postby Ansan Gotti » Thu May 06, 2010 12:00 pm

Nope. Still don't like her. And I'm a bit underwhelmed by my impression that the author is going to try to drag everyone, kicking and screaming if necessary, into liking her.

He's certainly making sure all of the main characters like her!
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Urf » Thu May 06, 2010 12:01 pm

If the Arkentools are meant to rebuild Erfworld, the last Tool should be in the hands of Jillian. Each Tool is going to a class type, and is changing how that class behaves.

Jillian is Royal, and is changing what Royal means in Erfworld.
Urf

Postby effataigus » Thu May 06, 2010 12:02 pm

"Shut up, prisioner"

Jillian has such functional relationships.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby kriss » Thu May 06, 2010 12:05 pm

Well now thats a revelation for the RCC2 to digest, that Charley is up for hire and wants to DESTROY Gobwin Knob. Verry interesting, I wonder if they'll believe it, or if Faq will come under suspision of being a Royal side that's capitulated to Toolism. I know what side Stately (and probably Ceaser) will take on that. The real quastion is, what about Don?
I think therefore I am. This leaves you in a bad spot.

Army inteligence is sadly an oximoron these days. And no General, I did not just call you a cow.

I cut myself shaving with Occam's razor.
kriss

Postby Dr Pepper » Thu May 06, 2010 12:07 pm

heh! Weal woyalty gon'kalk wigga mouf ful-- weal barbarian gon'k wase kime kwewing!
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby oslecamo2 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:07 pm

Ansan Gotti wrote:Nope. Still don't like her. And I'm a bit underwhelmed by my impression that the author is going to try to drag everyone, kicking and screaming if necessary, into liking her.

Well, that's Jillian's personality right there. She will drag down everything on her way kicking and screaming untill she gets what she wants. She should by all means be dead if her personal charms didn't make her get so many important friends on pretty much all sides.

Ansan Gotti wrote:He's certainly making sure all of the main characters like her!

Altough there's no doubt Jillian's one of the favorite characters of the author, this will probably come back to bite Jillian anyway.

In particular when Wanda escapes to fight another day because Tremessis wasted too much anti-air troops trying to destroy the rest of GK's column.

Go go warlord Ford! Hope you can take down a mancer withyou at least!

Also, it's just me or Tremessis just went from a smartass to a drooling idiot in a few pages? He should know that Wanda is THE target to take down now.
oslecamo2

Postby build6 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:16 pm

michaelcoyote wrote:"...like to hope I'd be half the queen she is" HAH!

i logged on to the forum wanting to quote that bit too :-) Trammenis is AWESOME

effataigus wrote:"Shut up, prisioner"

Jillian has such functional relationships.

heh :-)
build6

Postby Ansan Gotti » Thu May 06, 2010 12:30 pm

oslecamo2 wrote:Well, that's Jillian's personality right there. She will drag down everything on her way kicking and screaming untill she gets what she wants. She should by all means be dead if her personal charms didn't make her get so many important friends on pretty much all sides.

Heh. Yup.

oslecamo2 wrote:Altough there's no doubt Jillian's one of the favorite characters of the author,

In a story of such rich depth and subtlety, I agree, the above is unfortunately painfully obvious.

oslecamo2 wrote:this will probably come back to bite Jillian anyway.
In particular when Wanda escapes to fight another day because Tremessis wasted too much anti-air troops trying to destroy the rest of GK's column.
Go go warlord Ford! Hope you can take down a mancer withyou at least!
Also, it's just me or Tremessis just went from a smartass to a drooling idiot in a few pages? He should know that Wanda is THE target to take down now.

It's entirely possible Jillian gave this advice specifically to increase the chances of Wanda surviving. Of course, this would continue the volte-face from Book 1 to Book 2 with respect to this character's competence and subtlety, but I'm sure it will be chalked up to her new Queenness or something. I do think there is a reasonable explanation for this course of action from the "smartest tactics" point-of-view, however (I made this point in the most recent text update discussion thread), which I would find slightly more palatable as a motivation for Jillian's advice. After all, we know she's good in battle, albeit rather unimaginative. Or at least, that was at one time one of her weaknesses. I'm just not so sure any more.
Ansan Gotti

Postby joosy » Thu May 06, 2010 12:35 pm

michaelcoyote wrote:"...like to hope I'd be half the queen she is" HAH!

unless signamancy changes his height, he probably already is :)
joosy

Postby Dancingrage » Thu May 06, 2010 12:36 pm

*snrk* Says such wonderful and entertaining things about Tramennis. The good thing about being so long lived compared to the lantern-jawed Princes who came before him is he's gotten to see what Jetstone needs as opposed to what it wants (i.e. lantern-jawed Princes who look masculine and mighty and have very little going on in their brains).

This should be fun.
Dancingrage

Postby gameboy1234 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:37 pm

Uh oh. Tremennis is now a ... Jillianist. This is gettin' compel-cated.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby SteveMB » Thu May 06, 2010 12:39 pm

Ansan Gotti wrote:It's entirely possible Jillian gave this advice specifically to increase the chances of Wanda surviving. Of course, this would continue the volte-face from Book 1 to Book 2 with respect to this character's competence and subtlety, but I'm sure it will be chalked up to her new Queenness or something.

Which makes sense, actually -- in Erfworld, royal units really are different.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu May 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Ansan Gotti wrote:Nope. Still don't like her. And I'm a bit underwhelmed by my impression that the author is going to try to drag everyone, kicking and screaming if necessary, into liking her.

He's certainly making sure all of the main characters like her!

Quoted for truth.

The only thing I find redeeming in this particular instance of Jillian-praising is that it's Tremmennis doing it. Since he's not one of my favourites, whatever, I'm starting not to care anymore (which btw is BAD).

But when Maggie starts going teawwy eyed for Jillian, my rage will be ... well nerdy or something.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Ansan Gotti » Thu May 06, 2010 12:44 pm

SteveMB wrote:
Ansan Gotti wrote:It's entirely possible Jillian gave this advice specifically to increase the chances of Wanda surviving. Of course, this would continue the volte-face from Book 1 to Book 2 with respect to this character's competence and subtlety, but I'm sure it will be chalked up to her new Queenness or something.

Which makes sense, actually -- in Erfworld, royal units really are different.

Yes, but more setup and exposition would have been far preferable in any such case, IMO. It's one thing to know that Royals are different in this new, different, bizarre world. It's another thing to walk readers through it in a way that does not seem abrupt and jarring and ultimately dissatisfying.
Ansan Gotti

Postby spriteless » Thu May 06, 2010 12:47 pm

She is grating on my nerves, and I usually like her! The other characters are divided between liking her because ... idunno... and hating her because they are Jerks like Ceasar, Stanly, and Slately. Well, like Slately, I guess Ceasar might buy Don's bluff about it being part of the plan. Except now she's pissed off Don, too. Certainly she's pissed off Charlie, but he's too in control to loose it to anyone but Parson. Parson doesn't love her at least, he doesn't seem to care either way. At least she's hopefully exited for awhile so y'all can stop screaming "Mary Sue" every time she talks. Not every author's darling character deserves that.

Sooo, Tramenis is getting more screen time. Yay!
T'was a splendidly speedy defection.
spriteless

Next

Return to Reactions