Book 2 – Page 32

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 32

Postby Raza » Mon May 17, 2010 6:03 pm

I think Maggie's actions here have more to do with Duty than with Loyalty. I also enjoyed the sheer amount of condescension she placed in that one sentence that she knew would be accepted no matter what.

timh wrote:- If Stanley DOES break the suggestion, I wonder who gets the backlash. Maggy should be able to protect herself, but if she does Stanley might croak and the whole side is done for.

Interesting thought. I think the same duty that made her do this in the first place would induce her to take the backlash on herself, which makes the decision to pull something like this that much heavier. In that light, I think she deliberately played it as an instantaneous effect rather than an ongoing one, to minimize chances of a successful saving throw.

Still, Stanley is in absolutely no position to resist suggestions like this. He's not capable of admitting that anything he wants might be wrong. He always defines his positions on the fly to rationalize the whim of the moment; internal consistency went out the window a long time ago, so there's nothing to tip him off.

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:And it's not an illuminati sign, it's the all knowing eye, the sign of god.

It gets used a lot in connection to the Illuminati. Symbolism is inherently subjective; I think it's fair to say it's both.
Raza

Postby doran » Mon May 17, 2010 6:24 pm

badninja wrote:
effataigus wrote:Come to think of it, I'm not sure Parson hasn't already been jumped... she does seem to have an excess of that dust.

Uhh, Rob... if this comes to pass, text updates only plz...

What is it with you sick people I need another 60 gallons of brain bleach. So Rob please say no to these sick people. I dislike people who ship like this, put any reference in a new thread, like a crack pairings thread. This is starting to go off topic.

Heheheh.... considering the British rep of Thatcher....
MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Trotsky » Mon May 17, 2010 8:36 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Tomman wrote:I still think it would be interesting to see what would happen with 2 artifact wielders working together.

Meh. Until the Arkensickle appears don't expect anything revolutionary.

Psshhh. References to Soviet Russia. Only silly people make those.
BLANDCorporatio wrote:
DoctorJest wrote:"Wolves are like dogs, but dogs are like dogs, so therefore: kittens".

DoctorJest, if I weren't referentially married to my sig I'd use that instead.
Trotsky
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Oberon » Mon May 17, 2010 8:46 pm

effataigus wrote:Hahah... loved the update!

Want to say that I especially love Maggie's expression in the last panel. That is a complex set of emotions playing across her face there. Looks mostly smug with traces of defiance and vulnerability to me.
So, a 3-v with a hint of 7-y?
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Oberon » Mon May 17, 2010 8:51 pm

gazes_also wrote:You make some good points, but if you substitute Charlie for Parson in your first sentence I think it would be closer to the truth. Charlie is the master negotiator on Erfworld and I think we see him Flynning Parson while keeping his longterm objectives in sight.
Um, this would be the same Charlie who, rather than taking the GK garrison out and capturing Parson and his bracer, ended turn and lost about 80ish Archons? Who flinned who?
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby gazes_also » Mon May 17, 2010 9:27 pm

Oberon wrote:
gazes_also wrote:You make some good points, but if you substitute Charlie for Parson in your first sentence I think it would be closer to the truth. Charlie is the master negotiator on Erfworld and I think we see him Flynning Parson while keeping his longterm objectives in sight.
Um, this would be the same Charlie who, rather than taking the GK garrison out and capturing Parson and his bracer, ended turn and lost about 80ish Archons? Who flinned who?

As I also pointed out Parson was an unknown quantity, Charlie took a larger than expected loss but got the measure of his opponent. Longterm that price may prove to have been acceptable based on the knowledge gained. I still maintain Parson is no great shakes as a negotiator and speculation about him working a deal with any royal is laughable.
gazes_also
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Oberon » Mon May 17, 2010 9:42 pm

gazes_also wrote:As I also pointed out Parson was an unknown quantity, Charlie took a larger than expected loss but got the measure of his opponent. Longterm that price may prove to have been acceptable based on the knowledge gained. I still maintain Parson is no great shakes as a negotiator and speculation about him working a deal with any royal is laughable.
Yeah, laughable. Because the one deal he worked out with a royal previously, something about surrendering, really didn't play out for Parson very well. [/sarcasm]
Oberon

Postby Alexei P » Mon May 17, 2010 10:08 pm

effataigus wrote:
CelebrenIthil wrote:Oh well. Go Maggie! :D
(also, I secretely want her to jump Parson. Screw the Archons dude, you gotta give yourself to une femme d'expérience. <_<
Come on, she's the only gal around there you could have a non totally one-sided and awkward pillow talk either. >_>)
*get shot*

Yeah, c'mon Parson... you found someone that likes you for how good you are at turn-based strategy games. That's the dream, man!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OK, I swear I double-checked the forum rules before posting this.
Alexei P

Postby Aquillion » Mon May 17, 2010 10:13 pm

Fortunately, that dust doubles as brain-bleach.
Aquillion

Postby CelebrenIthil » Mon May 17, 2010 10:50 pm

Alexei P wrote:
effataigus wrote:
(also, I secretely want her to jump Parson. Screw the Archons dude, you gotta give yourself to une femme d'expérience. <_<
Come on, she's the only gal around there you could have a non totally one-sided and awkward pillow talk either. >_>)
*get shot*

Yeah, c'mon Parson... you found someone that likes you for how good you are at turn-based strategy games. That's the dream, man!

LOLLERSKATES! :lol:
Awesome! Did you draw this?! You're good! XD

I feel through the Force this will cause a bunch of funny aneurysms...
In any case, I'm fairly sure much more risqué stuff has been posted about Wanda or Jill.
*clap clap*

Now all it needs is the total priceless reaction of Parson! ...Whatever it is. ( :shock:? .... :o? ... :| ? )
My Dwagons!
Red: Kelvin Yellow: Newton Green: Langmuir Blue: Ampere Purple: Decibel Pink: Pascal
build6 wrote:It's true, we're all gay for Tramennis, even if we're straight :-)
CelebrenIthil
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby the_tick_rules » Mon May 17, 2010 11:34 pm

Holy crap, way to work the tool.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby MKBG » Mon May 17, 2010 11:37 pm

Parson's initial reaction:

Lolwut?

But on the other hand, this would be clearly her idea, therefore that which is keeping him from taking advantage of the Archons is not present here...

BTW I find this entire conversation to be HI-larious.
MKBG

Postby kwotski » Tue May 18, 2010 3:09 am

Lord Kasavin wrote:The elephant is not a symbol of a "republican," its the symbol of "Republicans."

Notice the capital difference? It as big a difference as "waste" and "waist."

Heh. Not really.

The party's founding members chose the name "Republican Party" in the mid-1850s in part as homage to Thomas Jefferson (it was the name initially used by his party). The name echoed the 1776 republican values of civic virtue and opposition to aristocracy and corruption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican ... 29#History
kwotski

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue May 18, 2010 3:23 am

AlexeiP, you ROCK, as usual.

Incidentally, all this outpour of love and devotion for Maggie makes me think that dark times are ahead. I can't think of any other character ... I said character ... with a bigger bullseye on them than Maggie right now. First Misty, then Bogroll, now the Parson Curse strikes again.

But hopefully not, and that's just my paranoia tingling.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Altima » Tue May 18, 2010 3:44 am

CelebrenIthil wrote:
Altima wrote:Kreia must be your poster child!

Well, not just her at all but let's say that if you take KOTOR and the other Bioware RPGs out of the lot, I lose a bunch of kickass elderly females on my list, indeed.

Kreia was in KotOR2, which was not made by BioWare. Obsidian and its former incarnations have their fair share of badass grannies. Mmm, Ravel. So sexy!

Alexei P wrote:

OK, I swear I double-checked the forum rules before posting this

I hate you more than life itself.
Altima

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Tue May 18, 2010 5:19 am

Oberon wrote:I think you're overlooking some of Parson's strengths. First, he doesn't necessarily negotiate assuming that he'll be successful. He negotiates because he may be successful, and that chance is worth his time and some Thinkagram juice. And he is well aware that negotiation is a double edged sword: His negotiation with Charlie that you correctly note that he is still in debt for saved his side, after all. And allowed him to convince Wanda not to fly off with their only flying units to go save Stanley. A pair of huge benefits, even taking into consideration the negative of being on the hook for about 9 more calculations...

A good point, although in this situation I'm not sure he'd even think it worth the juice (or the time). He should have very little reason to believe he could ever convince Slately to agree to spare Wanda, and he has no way of knowing about Trem and Jillian's conversation or that Trem might have questions about the decrypted though. And even if he did I guess he could contact Trem, but that would be weird, hoping to convince the prince to go over the kings head (well weird because Parson doesn't know what we do - that Trem isn't your average royal).

Haggar... I've already said how it seems to me. Still, he might fish and come up with something useful.

Still, I'm wondering if the fact Slately will offer a surrender (as Oss said he would do as part of the whole process) will somehow play a part. They're obviously expecting them to refuse...

gazes_also wrote:How aware of Parson are the RCC leaders really? Some of them saw his projection talking to Ansom, but that was all. They may presume he died at GK as only casters could survive the volcano and the decrypted Ansom was appointed CWL. I don't recall Charlie discussing him with Jillian so it maybe a piece of information he's keeping for himself as a bargaining tool.

I don't think they are really aware of him at all. I guess it is possible Ansom wrote his father about the strange Chief Warlord GK had, or one of the other warlord representatives contacted their royal. Only Charlie seems to have any real knowledge. Vinnie might know a little. And Jillian should as well - Wanda was telling her all about the spell (we don't know how much she told her), so unless she got mind wiped she should know GK cast a spell to get something special.

Plus Ansom was out being Chief Warlord as soon as GK got back on its feet, so they probably aren't thinking about whoever was Chief Warlord when the Volcano exploded (well Slately wouldn't be, Don might).

I still don't buy the Archons compromising Charlie's secrets beyond basic operational intel. He has a compartmentalized organization and it is most likely that field Archons operate on a Need to Know basis. Now, Parson maybe able to deduce some things from the Archons SOP, but Charlie has probably changed his protocols since then.

I don't either. Certainly nothing in the strip seems to indicate it is so yet.

Alexei P wrote:
effataigus wrote:
*get shot*

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Impressive work (I managed to avoid spitting tea everywhere, but only just) - heh, today we've gone all Carry On Erfworld.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby Angband » Tue May 18, 2010 8:34 am

Alexei P wrote:
effataigus wrote:

Clearly we need new forum rules.

:shock:
Angband
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby effataigus » Tue May 18, 2010 11:37 am

:shock: :o :lol:

... and the battle map minis rain to the floor. It's a good thing Parson closed that eyebook... I'm guessing nobody wants to read what he's about to sub-vocalize.

Oh man... thank you for that, Alexei. Awesome artwork too!

Oberon, I fail at references... what are 3-v and 7-y? ...besides IMF codes for Canada and Europe according to some random website.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby gazes_also » Tue May 18, 2010 12:32 pm

Oberon wrote:
gazes_also wrote:As I also pointed out Parson was an unknown quantity, Charlie took a larger than expected loss but got the measure of his opponent. Longterm that price may prove to have been acceptable based on the knowledge gained. I still maintain Parson is no great shakes as a negotiator and speculation about him working a deal with any royal is laughable.
Yeah, laughable. Because the one deal he worked out with a royal previously, something about surrendering, really didn't play out for Parson very well. [/sarcasm]

The "deal" you referring to would be the flat out deception of Ansom and croaking him under a flag of truce? One would definitely want to do business with that guy again, wouldn't you?
Funny how Charlie gets ripped for being a smart negotiator and going by the letter on his contracts, but Parson is a good guy so it's ok for him to lie and negotiate in bad faith.
gazes_also
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Alexei P » Tue May 18, 2010 12:48 pm

gazes_also wrote:Funny how Charlie gets ripped for being a smart negotiator and going by the letter on his contracts, but Parson is a good guy so it's ok for him to lie and negotiate in bad faith.

Funny indeed, and also the basis of the whole comic: a protagonist who is a good guy and a total monster. To be fair, Parson was under a mind-control compulsion at the time, so he was forced to try out every thinkable option to win, no matter how vile or underhanded. And there's the point: Parson doesn't win by being nobler than his opponents, but by being sneakier and more ruthless.

Which means the story can now unfold in one of 2 ways: Parson assumes command and is the "ruthless genius" again (whereupon GK wins) or he backs out of that mindset and tries to avoid unnecessary casualties (whereupon GK loses).
Alexei P

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions