Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Parson's Klog 001

Postby balder » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:31 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Parson's Klog 001

Postby Zeal » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:44 am

Interesting.

I wonder if the arrows stuck in a hex boundary continue their on flight at the start of your turn or just drop to the ground.
Zeal

Postby Sixty » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:47 am

So they can counter attack with dwagon breath attacks across the border if attacked then? I wonder if they have to be hit for it to count as being attacked or just having an enemy arrow/other projectile enter their hex.
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby RusVal » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:59 am

Zeal wrote:Interesting.

I wonder if the arrows stuck in a hex boundary continue their on flight at the start of your turn or just drop to the ground.

Good question, but then again, there is something else that I got from this...

Line up as many archers as you can, and have them fire all their arrows into a hex wall, taking care to group all the "hits" close as you can to leave little space to go between, but far enough apart to cover enough of an area to matter, and boom, a wall of spikes! While it might not be much, it would at least be an option for someone in a jam, say as a delaying action to set up traps (or in some cases, the only way to set traps).
RusVal

Postby splintermute » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:03 am

Sixty wrote:So they can counter attack with dwagon breath attacks across the border if attacked then? I wonder if they have to be hit for it to count as being attacked or just having an enemy arrow/other projectile enter their hex.

No, he specifically said breath attacks are blocked at the hex/zone border, presumably regardless of whether they're being attacked. The only attacks that can cross borders are on-turn archers and city ballistic weapons (and zombie-canos!).
splintermute

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:07 am

So, uhm ... breath weapons stop at hex boundaries? Does this mean we may yet see the Flying Poop and Chewing Gum Armour?

(A: no, that would be totally crazy. But it would be awesome- or cool- or anyway, waaay outside the box).
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby KiltedNinja » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:21 am

w00

*demands Situation Room Notes 1-6* :P

Ahhh good ol' Parson's Klog, oh how I've missed thy sight,
Your information given free, with tasty new insights,
The gasp and "oh!" when you are seen, your words devoured with glee,
New understanding has been reached - at least, inside of me..

..or something.

So yeah. \o/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:35 am

In answer to your question *Parson's klog*

I'm happy to see that, should cut down some of the off turn rules/mechanics conflict in future - especially casting and doing stuff across hex boundaries.

Now I'm quite curious about what the other situation room notes prior to this were on. I bet magic would have come up a lot.

Zeal wrote:Interesting.

I think they might just disappear, like the gum covering Trem disappeared when the Jetstone turn began (and we didn't see any of the arrows Jetstone had fired on that turn afterwards.

RusVal wrote:Line up as many archers as you can, and have them fire all their arrows into a hex wall, taking care to group all the "hits" close as you can to leave little space to go between, but far enough apart to cover enough of an area to matter, and boom, a wall of spikes! While it might not be much, it would at least be an option for someone in a jam, say as a delaying action to set up traps (or in some cases, the only way to set traps).

And if the arrows were strong enough you could have units climb them... I'm not sure why, but it would be cool to see someone climbing up a hex boundary (well, to me at least).

BLANDCorporatio wrote:So, uhm ... breath weapons stop at hex boundaries? Does this mean we may yet see the Flying Poop and Chewing Gum Armour?

I wonder if dwagons have a limit on how many times they can use their breath weapons in a turn (like archers eventually run out of arrows). They might not have enough in them to poop/gum up enough of the boundary (I guess the archers can move to a new firing position). ;)
Last edited by Dancing Cthulhu on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:46 am

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:I wonder if dwagons have a limit on how many times they can use their breath weapons in a turn (like archers eventually run out of arrows). They might not have enough in them to poop/gum up enough of the boundary (I guess the archers can move to a new firing position). ;)

But of course! If the FPACG Armour were 100% effective it would be too good. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to tilt the odds of Wanda getting croaked firmly into slim territory.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Menlo Marseilles » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:46 am

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:I wonder if dwagons have a limit on how many times they can use their breath weapons in a turn (like archers eventually run out of arrows). They might not have enough in them to poop/gum up enough of the boundary (I guess the archers can move to a new firing position). ;)
But this is where Jack comes in - given enough *real* battlecrap gumming up the hex boundary, you can hide them in plain sight among lots of *illusory* battlecrap. Presto, instant minefield.
and in despair i bowed my head
"there is no peace on erf," i said
for fate is strong and mocks the song
of peace on erf, good will to men
Menlo Marseilles

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:12 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:But of course! If the FPACG Armour were 100% effective it would be too good. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to tilt the odds of Wanda getting croaked firmly into slim territory.

Menlo Marseilles wrote:But this is where Jack comes in - given enough *real* battlecrap gumming up the hex boundary, you can hide them in plain sight among lots of *illusory* battlecrap. Presto, instant minefield.

Hmmm, it all sounds rather good. I suspect Parson would have the best memoirs of any military commander ever if he had a chapter on snatching slightly less painful defeat out of the jaws of very painful defeat through creative use of battlecrap and gum.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby Snowtitan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:31 am

Hmm, I thought the whole idea of not using the I-books is because Charlie could hack them

does this mean he's using a different (non magical) book to write his klog, or is Charlie (Potentially) listening in to the conversation?

PS, Would LOVE to see a great wall of gummed up battlecrap !

[Edit] Also looking at the Title - 'it's raining men' Maybe they use use human shields
Dead units, not decrypted, otherwise they'll just dust when they die again, and they can always be decrypted later, after they've stopped a few arrows
Last edited by Snowtitan on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oh no.. not again.
Snowtitan

Postby raphfrk » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:34 am

Anyone else think the cross bow bolt looks like a missile :)? My initial reaction was Parson was going to bring rocketry to Erfworld and was thinking it was a pretty big spoiler :).
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Snowtitan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:38 am

raphfrk wrote:Anyone else think the cross bow bolt looks like a missile :)? My initial reaction was Parson was going to bring rocketry to Erfworld and was thinking it was a pretty big spoiler :).

Think it's just the thick line art use in the panel
Oh no.. not again.
Snowtitan

Postby Squishalot » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:47 am

Does anyone else interpret this as "on turn, Archers can fire at units in another hex without fear of retribution"?

That makes archery units hopelessly overpowered in this world, especially if they get leadership bonuses, augmented by dittomancers, ....
Squishalot

Postby raphfrk » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:02 am

Squishalot wrote:Does anyone else interpret this as "on turn, Archers can fire at units in another hex without fear of retribution"?

That makes archery units hopelessly overpowered in this world, especially if they get leadership bonuses, augmented by dittomancers, ....

It would have to be linked with a maximum number of arrows (which does seem to be the case).

In the later versions of Civilisation, there are units with the bombardment ability. These units can fire at a target without the target being able to fire back.

However, unlike normal combat, it isn't a fight to the death. Also, the rule is that you can only reduce the target unit's health to 50%.

In any case, it doesn't make those units overpowered. They could have limits like max number of arrows and low movement rates.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby davesnothere » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:35 am

We've seen arrows in the hex boundary during the initial skirmish to capture Ossomer.

Lets see if I can find and edit in a link: Book 2, page 9, last panel.
http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/?px=%2F2009-11-28.jpg
Last edited by davesnothere on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
davesnothere
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Ditto » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:43 am

So, uhm ... breath weapons stop at hex boundaries? Does this mean we may yet see the Flying Poop and Chewing Gum Armour?

Flying Poop is not a breath weapon. (Cuz... ew.) Clearly, battlecrap is an exception to the rule and one may tactically defecate anywhere anytime. :D

The klog is internal to the eyebook, for Parson's notes only. Charlie only hacked the IMing feature, which uses thinkamancy to communicate.
Ditto

Postby badninja » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:55 am

Nice klog, I feel that there are many hints at what may happen in this next arc are given away. Although the one I kinda like is that either Parson gets some move because we see him commanding troops on a wall or the battle is going to be brought to GK. All this information that we where given makes my head spin from all the possibilities that Parson could think up. Could the title refer to the coming of Parson's Earth friends, as help or adversaries? I've got a good feeling about how cool this chapter is going to be!
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Balance » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:01 am

davesnothere wrote:We've seen arrows in the hex boundary during the initial skirmish to capture Ossomer.

Lets see if I can find and edit in a link: Book 2, page 9, last panel.
http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/?px=%2F2009-11-28.jpg

It looks like some of the arrows in the river are beyond the hex boundary. I would guess that means the boundary can make the distinction between "arrow-as-attack" and "arrow-as-object". If the arrow expends its force and falls into the water before reaching the hex boundary, the current can carry it across. I'm not sure if that could be useful in any way, but it's mildly interesting.

badninja wrote:Although the one I kinda like is that either Parson gets some move because we see him commanding troops on a wall or the battle is going to be brought to GK.

I think he was just up there to get one of the archers to demonstrate the arrow-stuck-in-the-boundary phenomenon. It's not a battle, it's a science experiment.
Balance
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Next

Return to Reactions