Book 2 – Text Updates 026

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 026

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Here another theory why Stanley hates Charley:
Stanley's driven by the need to prove that he's special. His main argument is that he is an attuned wielder of an arkentool. Charley's existence proves that this is not an unique attribute. And that is something Stanley doesn't like. The fact that Charley is more or less accepted by the royals while the threat him like dirt probably doesn't help either.

On the Gowbin revolution, it's pretty certain that the sacking of Faq wasn't the special mission during the uprising. From Wanda's story we know that she contacted him not long after he found the arkentool. Thus he didn't have the time to win all those battles that persuaded Saline to make him heir. And if he already had won all these battles, Wanda didn't assume he would easily die in an attack on a weakly defended city.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby DevilDan » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:07 pm

Why should anyone like Charlie?

At best, they might respect his mercenary spirit. But why would you like someone who charges you an arm and a leg while you're in battle and who will be fighting on the other side next time if you can't scrape together enough shmuckers?

I will say this: Charlie's apparent obsession with amassing archons, quite possibly even past the point of diminishing returns (don't forget what just a couple dozen archons are capable of) does support the theory that he has a byzantine agenda of far wider scope and complexity. (I mean, plotmancy always pointed to that, but we've had relatively little actual evidence.)
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby gazes_also » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:12 pm

DevilDan wrote:Why should anyone like Charlie?

At best, they might respect his mercenary spirit. But why would you like someone who charges you an arm and a leg while you're in battle and who will be fighting on the other side next time if you can't scrape together enough shmuckers?

I will say this: Charlie's apparent obsession with amassing archons, quite possibly even past the point of diminishing returns (don't forget what just a couple dozen archons are capable of) does support the theory that he has a byzantine agenda of far wider scope and complexity. (I mean, plotmancy always pointed to that, but we've had relatively little actual evidence.)

TMK casters like him. Good boss, pays well.
It may be misleading exactly how many Archons Charlie has, it is in his interest to have potential employers think his resources are unlimited.
gazes_also
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby DevilDan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:48 am

We know from Parson's interviews of decrypted archons that Charlie has around 600 archons, I believe. Anyway you slice it, that's a serious number of flying troops with various casting abilities.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby effataigus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:20 am

This is a reaction to the news-update... wrong place?

Feel better, Xin!

And sorry to hear of the writer's block. It seems like that would be especially hard for webcomic authors because the standard strategies of "write junk and fix it later" or "skip ahead to where you want to go and work backwards" aren't really options.

There are a handful of authors (of books, movies, and video games) that I hold on a pedestal as infallible. The only common element between them is that they release(d) content only when it's ready... which always felt too slow at the time!

Normally I'm way more excited about picture-updates, but I'm pretty fired up to hear Stanley's version of Faq... I'm betting we'll learn a lot from it... even if it is just exactly what Wanda said...
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Kender Wizard » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:46 pm

Just wanted to log on to say to Rob and Xin: Thanks guys for this excellent webcomic. This really is my favorite webcomic, and the first one I have ever bought anything from. I, along with what I'm sure is most of your readership, really appreciates the depth, quality, and uniqueness of erfworld, though it probably doesn't feel like it most of the time. So, by all means, take the time you need to get better, and get over the writers block. For a story this good, I am willing to wait. Godspeed,

KW
Kender Wizard

Postby Dr Pepper » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Likewise.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby gazes_also » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:02 am

I think I may have the answer to Parson getting into the Magic Kingdom.

Clarke's Third Law.

Parson is alien to Erfworld, he comes from a science-based world, his 'magic-object' is actually a scientific object.
Erfworld is a mathematically-based world (Hexes, turns, juice, force multipliers) that thinks it's a magic-based world.
Parson's mathematical skill, computational tools and scientific thinking are sufficiently advanced so as to be indistinguishable from magic on Erfworld.
gazes_also
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby DevilDan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:25 pm

gazes_also wrote:I think I may have the answer to Parson getting into the Magic Kingdom.

Clarke's Third Law.

Parson is alien to Erfworld, he comes from a science-based world, his 'magic-object' is actually a scientific object.
Erfworld is a mathematically-based world (Hexes, turns, juice, force multipliers) that thinks it's a magic-based world.
Parson's mathematical skill, computational tools and scientific thinking are sufficiently advanced so as to be indistinguishable from magic on Erfworld.

I might just buy, for the sake of (a very tenuous) argument, scientific thinking, but his mathematical skill? And why his computational tools? By that argument, anyone wearing honest-to-goodness magic items would have half a chance.
DevilDan

Postby The Black Hand » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:33 am

DevilDan wrote:
gazes_also wrote:I think I may have the answer to Parson getting into the Magic Kingdom.

Clarke's Third Law.

I might just buy, for the sake of (a very tenuous) argument, scientific thinking, but his mathematical skill? And why his computational tools? By that argument, anyone wearing honest-to-goodness magic items would have half a chance.

I'd say the answer to that is fairly simple.

Parson's Mathamancy bracer didn't work until he'd plugged his calculator-watch into it.

Given the following, that:

A) a calculator is used for mathematical calculations (or, in Erfworld terms, Mathamancy), and
B) he brought the calculator-watch with him,

It is therefore logical to assume that:

C) because of this "Mathamancy item" which was in his possession, Erfworld itself considers him to be a Master-class Mathamancer, and the one who created the calculator-watch.
The strength of our future lies in our past.
-VNV Nation

There is no instance of a nation benefiting from prolonged warfare.
-Sun-tzu, The Art of War
The Black Hand

Postby DevilDan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:18 pm

Guess whoever wrote the portal spells has a lot of debugging to do.
DevilDan

Postby joosy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:41 pm

DevilDan wrote:Guess whoever wrote the portal spells has a lot of debugging to do.

Naw, the answer is easy. 'A Wizard (caster) did it.' End of speculation.
joosy

Previous

Return to Reactions