Book 2 – Text Updates 028

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Text Updates 028

Postby balder » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:12 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 028

Postby LogicsFate » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:29 pm

Awesome, Being shifting through marshmallow fluff.

Doesn't seem much new, 'cept Daughter or son! The New(old) Debate!

I was surprised at the lack of zeal I thought Ansom would be spewing and at the concern of Charlies actions that Jillian had, both good changes.
Last edited by LogicsFate on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LogicsFate

Postby ftl » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:35 pm

And we get a look into Jillian's mind.

I like the tone. She sounds like half of a petulant youngester. (It's really nice how appropriately the text updates convey the character who's saying them.)

She still sees herself and Ansom as together, as evidenced by the fact that she's treating their arguments like a lovers quibble or something. "They had their first argument..." Whereas Ansom almost certainly has a different view. He's gathering intelligence in case of a rescue, or trying to.

Is Charlie a thinkamancer? Really a thinkamancer himself? Maybe. Jillian either thinks so and slipped up in letting it out, or she really did mean the "or, at least, he does thinkamancy."
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby mindsword » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Does it matter? thew overall effect show that he does thinkamancy amazingly well. when all is said and done, that's all that matters. If he's a caster, then we can guess what type of thinkamancer he was. if he wasn't then nothing really changes.

I'm more interested in what she's going to say to Charlie. Also makes me wonder how much money she must be spending. she's got help from 2 sides and can barely afford to hold on to Vanna? of course, Charlie would be giving her the absolute minimum, but heh.
Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life.
mindsword

Postby gameboy1234 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:05 pm

Dun dun DUUUNNN!

Ok I got nothing. Interesting update, but I think we have guessed as much. Jillian's in love, and Ansom's dense; no new information. Still the potential foreshadowing is fun. A good many things pivot around Charlie, I can't help but feel he will play a central role in this story 'till the end.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Ninjaguineapig » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Poor Ansom, caught in the megalogwiff's goo. I hope his loyalty is high, 'cause I look forward to seeing him getting rescued, and laying some heavy hurt on FAQ (and Jillian)
Ninjaguineapig

Postby spriteless » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:27 pm

My, but Jillian is sharing a lot of info with Ansom.
T'was a splendidly speedy defection.
spriteless

Postby Sieggy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:30 pm

I sure hope she didn't name that Megalogwiff 'Fluffer' . . . I have to wonder if Ansom even recalls his previous love for Jillian, or whether the decryption process simply refocuses devotion to the decyptor. I mean, even if you break up with a GF you've loved, there are still some feelings left. It doesn't seem like there are any, and you can see Ansom trying to comprehend Jillian's feelings. Unsuccessfuly.

It may be a good thing that Vanna is out of juice right now, as I doubt VERY seriously that Jillian's conversation with Charley is going to go well, and Vanna is both there and accessible by Charley via the Arkendish. I don't know what Vanna is capable of, but Charley does . . .

But now I don't know what I want to see resolved first - - - Jillian / Charley, Parson / Trem, or the battle.
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby the_tick_rules » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:48 pm

Boy, Jillian is complex, and maybe a little bi to.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby DevilDan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:53 am

Breaking Ansom will be easy compared to getting him to relax.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby ParsonIsOP » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:02 am

Anson is not completely unsympathetic to Jillian. But they're much like the feelings he has with Ossomer. He cares enough about Ossomer to try and persuade him, rather than Decrypting him. It's the same with Jillian. He remembers his past with her and is willing to treat her as well as he can, circumstances permitting.
ParsonIsOP

Postby DunkelMentat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:03 am

I had to go back and read the pages with Sammy to make sure I was getting everything right. So worth it.

Excited to see Charlie deal with the tactical implications of all these calls at once? I wonder if Parson gets in on the act?
DunkelMentat

Postby DunkelMentat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:04 am

the_tick_rules wrote:Boy, Jillian is complex, and maybe a little bi to.

Just now picking up on the bisexual overtones?
DunkelMentat

Postby ParsonIsOP » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:05 am

DunkelMentat wrote:I had to go back and read the pages with Sammy to make sure I was getting everything right. So worth it.

Excited to see Charlie deal with the tactical implications of all these calls at once? I wonder if Parson gets in on the act?

Charlie only has a nigh-infinite amount of time to field those calls.

So yes, I'd say that he can handle them adroitly.
ParsonIsOP

Postby yuffiek » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:30 am

ParsonIsOP wrote:Charlie only has a nigh-infinite amount of time to field those calls.

So yes, I'd say that he can handle them adroitly.

I don't think it's "nigh-infinite", but I seem to recall that Charlescomm's natural spot in Erfworld's turn order is first among all the sides (only Barbarians go before Charlie, we know that CC and Transylvito naturally go before GK if they're in the battlespace). Since Thinkamancy is one of the things you can do off-turn, it doesn't really matter how much time is needed to handle all the calls Charlie gets each day, the time physics of Erfworld would make sure he has "exactly enough". It also probably means he's more out of his gourd than everyone thinks too. Imagine if every waking moment of your day was spent handling all the various communications between not only all your units (since Charlie has no warlords to delegate with), but everyone else who feels a need to give him a ring. Combined with his apparent paranoia (Only a select few Archons have even SEEN Charlie face-to-face), the driving need to build up and pay upkeep on an apparently overwhelming force of Archons (Charlie's Rule #15: Some things are more important than money. COROLLARY: Most things are not more important than money.)...

Most likely he's nuttier than a doombat.

No wonder Wanda says CC is the last side GK should attack.
yuffiek

Postby Hoax » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:15 am

After reading this klog I just signed up to post this comment, which is a reiteration of a comment I originally posted on the giantitp forums the day that Ansom was decrypted.

Rob: Do not, under any circumstances, turn this into a love conquers all, Ansom gets free from Wanda and comes back to Jillian because of love. It's cliche. It's trite. It's overused. It's lazy. It's terrible writing. Don't do it. Don't even think of doing it.

I hope I am overreacting and you are not even dreaming of inflicting such a horrendous 'plot twist' on your readers.
Hoax

Postby Ansan Gotti » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:27 am

DunkelMentat wrote:
the_tick_rules wrote:Boy, Jillian is complex, and maybe a little bi to.

Just now picking up on the bisexual overtones?

Maybe he meant bipolar?
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby cdrcjsn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:13 am

Was this post the first indication that we had that there were weather conditions on erfworld?

With regards to Jillian though, sounds like it's not gonna take much convincing to get her to return to the fight, and now she's contacting Charlie...

What if Charlie asks her to go back and grab Wanda for him (or offer her a chance to turn to Charlie)? After all, she's only 3 hexes away at the moment and I don't think she's technically broken alliance with the coalition yet. With another Tool holder making the offer, would Wanda see that as a sign from fate?
Visit my webcomic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Epic Fantasy Comedy. Familiar Point of View.
cdrcjsn

Postby Evil Jedi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:10 am

I was just thinking back to one of Parson's thoughts about the Decrypted. He worried that Wanda could see through the eyes of her Decrypted, or something like that. He wasn't sure. Now I'm wondering if that is somehow true, what might Wanda gain while the Queen is trying to turn Ansom back? But of course I'm just assuming Parson was on the right track.
A lifelong member of PA, Procrastinators Anonymous. "Hello, my name is ____ and I'm a Procrastinator."
Evil Jedi
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby KiltedNinja » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:32 am

<Tinfoil Hat>
At some point soonly, there will be some exchange between Jillian and Ansom, resulting in Ansom "remembering his old feelings" and convincing Jillian that he's "back to normal"...

meanwhile..

He's secretly not back to normal at all - He lulls Jillian into a false sense of security and one evening they sit by a campfire and reminisce about old times, Ansom recounts "a fiesty young barbarian woman who captured his heart", Jillian says "I remember that girl.." She looks at Ansom and quietly whispers "'I love you"... Ansom leans in close and whispers back "That's what she said." And, * S T A B * - Hidden dagger - side of the neck - ultimate-shocked-response-from-Jillian - End of Book 2...
</Tinfoil Hat>

>.>

<.<

Ahem.
So yeah. Nice work as usual :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Next

Return to Reactions