Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Page 38

Postby balder » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:48 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Page 38

Postby Pointyleaf » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:54 am

Yay! A new comic!

No real insights into what Parson's plan is.

Is Charlie eavesdropping on Parson-Wanda's call?
Pointyleaf

Postby justamessenger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:58 am

Wow! Long time lurker, first time poster!

I must say that I love the artwork, and while I do feel that some of the recent updates have been a bit slow on moving the current plotline forward, this update has me on edge with anticipation.

It seems to me that this is the final breath before the plunge, when Parson will unveil his stratagem against Jetstone. I am wondering if it will be initiated while Tramennis and Jillian are on the conference call with Charlie. Surely it will be interesting regardless.

Given the dire predictions of losses, I am wondering whether this victory will be Pyrrhic in nature. Although, obversely, it could be quite successful. I am certain that any chance to save troops and flying units is worth pursuing, given any other outcome should such a gambit not be undertaken.

Alea iacta est... Now let's see which number comes up.
"Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
- G.K. Chesterton

Special thanks to BLANDCorporatio for the awesome avatar!!
justamessenger

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:01 am

Non-wiged Wanda is much much better.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby badninja » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:01 am

Nice it looks like Charlie may of hacked GK's thinkagram now he has an idea of what Parson has planed. Why do I get the feeling that even if he did not hack the message that he will be providing some key information to the RCC 2 about their enemy. Good update and Xin did a knock out job on the artwork.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby enthar » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:03 am

So Charlie can listen in on other thinkagrams too! Or, so it is heavily implied there. Dangerous and powerful is the Arkendish... The Hammer needs some further study, its shockamancy and minor flight and dragon taming are starting to look a bit dated and weak ;) Power creep ftw!

Also, yay for hot Wanda back. Love her hair.

Enthar
enthar
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:05 am

What does it mean, "proved" they can't parley with Jetstone?

Nice building of tension. Also "emo optimist" would be a good t-shirt, I suppose. Not my taste, but some people would like it, probably.

Another question: What is Parson aiming for? Surely, his goal at this point is extricating Wanda, then extricating the rest of the troops over Spacerock. But will his plan's success mean that the RCC2 won't be able to attack or to inflict enough damage, will the RCC2 lose a significant number of troops in Spacerock, or will Slately croak and Spacerock fall?

This suggests thinkagram-tapping, but I would find that rather disappointing.
Last edited by DevilDan on Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby justamessenger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:10 am

It is an intriguing notion that Charlie can eavesdrop on thinkagrams not originating with his archons. This would definitely provide him with an edge in aiding Jetstone and Jillian.

Having said that, given the timing and the way things work on Erf, will gaining information regarding Parson's plan make a difference? If Parson can act immediately, he is the type to do so. I am not sure that Tramennis will have any ability to react to Parson's newly-introduced tactic. In fact, there is a distinct possibility that neither Charlie nor his erstwhile allies can even comprehend all of its implications if it is a cheat, though I imagine Tramennis would be the most likely to do so. I see him as Parson's greatest challenge, as he is far and away the most thoughtful, intelligent and adaptive player on the board, other than Parson himself. Even Charlie cannot foresee the implications of all of Parson's plans, despite having ideas as to what Parson is up to.

So, now we just have to wait and see...
"Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
- G.K. Chesterton

justamessenger

Postby Jay » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:10 am

Ooh, wiretapping. Sweet.
Jay

Postby TheMutant » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:16 am

I agree that listening in on Parson and Wanda's Thinkagram is a very possible interpretation of the scene, but think about it- how ridiculously overpowered is that? That Charlie, who is currently in his own capital, can listen in on a Thinkagram between two wildly different locations that he had no way of knowing would happen. I mean hell, he can't even know that Parson is Chief Warlord right now, let alone that he'd be making a call to Wanda. And he doesn't even have any of his Archons in either hex to act as a proxy. If that's the case, that means that the Arkendish lets him monitor all Thinkagrams anywhere ever, which is a pretty terrifying prospect.

I certainly HOPE he can't, anyways, because that means Parson's plan is a flop, since Charlie will likely spill the details straight to Tramennis, who seems more than willing to listen.
Last edited by TheMutant on Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby oslecamo2 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:18 am

I wonder if Hamster predicted this and is doing a double-move in order to cheat Charlie as well.

He knows that the arkendish can mess up with any kind of magic communications.

On the other hand, he's kinda cornered against the wall.

But if Hamster's plan involves Charlie eavesdroping it so he'll give orders to Jillian and Trems and make them all dance to this music in order to win this impossible situation, it will be BEATIFULL! :mrgreen:
oslecamo2

Postby Dr Quest DFA » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:20 am

I'd just like to say that Xin is really coming into her own with these characters and settings. I think this is her best page yet and rivals some of the better pages from Book 1. I really like how she handles the GK flying stack as well as panel 2.

As far a plot goes, it looks like Charlie is on another call, just not participating in it :mrgreen:

I think Charlie knows Parson is a wild card in terms of Erf World thinking and is trying to learn as much about his thought process as possible before trying to convert Parson over to his side or detemrining if it might not be better to just kill Parson outright.

worst Case Scenario: Charlie hijacked the thinkagram both ways and sent false feeds to both Wanda and Parson, altering Parson's plan a bit while making Parson think he was speaking with Wanda. I don't think it is likely but it would be rather scary.
Dr Quest DFA
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby justamessenger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:24 am

Dr Quest DFA wrote:
worst Case Scenario: Charlie hijacked the thinkagram both ways and sent false feeds to both Wanda and Parson, altering Parson's plan a bit while making Parson think he was speaking with Wanda. I don't think it is likely but it would be rather scary.

I don't believe that Charlie has the ability to do this. I am quite certain that Maggie, at least, would know if there were any kind of interference. Eavesdropping is passive in nature but actually manipulating, jamming or otherwise affecting the thinkagram would likely set off some sort of alarm. That would be my guess, at least.
- G.K. Chesterton

justamessenger

Postby Smoker » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:33 am

Those first three panels read to me as if Charlie answered one of the calls, but it wouldn't show which one. So we dont know if Trammenis or Jillian gets his attention first, although I'm not really certain how much difference it would make either way..
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
Smoker

Postby Guurzak » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:34 am

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:Non-wiged Wanda is much much better.

x2. Hated the wig every single page.
Guurzak

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:35 am

Heh, I love how "we'll lose most of you" is juxtaposed to a line-up of Jack, Ossomer, and Obvious Cannon Fodder.

But I resent the implication that Charlie is eavesdropping on Parson's thinkagram.

It makes sense- that's one reason Charlie put Jillian's fliers and the Turnamancer at Jetstone, because Ansom's veiled fliers ruse wasn't, for Charlie.

But on the other hand, it again confirms that Charlie can do ANYTHING. Which makes it more glaring when Charlescomm DOESN'T. Charlie had the abilities and resources to crush GK, in full view of any royal, at any time now.

In fact, it's becoming less believable that GK was ever a threat! Why, their expedition at Jetstone was made up of a ground column, easily mopped up, while the Dwagon fleet was always assumed doomed under Jetstone. And with Charlie capable to stop turns, and read minds, GK should never have got off the ground.

Ahem.

Fuck. Charlie.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Ansan Gotti » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:37 am

Hmm. Stay alive by any means pretty much implies that Wanda will have free rein to turn, if necessary.

AMAZING artwork!

Hope Charlie didn't hack the call (agree with BLAND on that), and that if he did, that Parson was using code or something.
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby justamessenger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:46 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:But on the other hand, it again confirms that Charlie can do ANYTHING. Which makes it more glaring when Charlescomm DOESN'T. Charlie had the abilities and resources to crush GK, in full view of any royal, at any time now.

Could you expound on this a bit? I am far from convinced that Charlie is a) omniscient, b) omnipotent or c) omnipresent.

First, even listening in on Thinkagrams doesn't always provide you with useful information, i.e.- the hermit with a lightbulb.

Second, where would Charlie get the forces to take on GK (or any other side) on his own? Sure, he can hire mercs, but it seems more his style to manipulate events to his advantage while others take the risks. In terms of investing resources himself, I don't think Charlie is the all or nothing type...yet.

Third, assuming for the sake of argument, that Charlie can eavesdrop on Thinkagrams, that doesn't mean he has the ability to listen in on *all* Thinkagrams. It is likely that he would have to personally channel the Arkendish to enable such eavesdropping, and as he is the only one that can do this it is limited by his ability to actually listen in and process the information. Unless there is an Erf-version of a recording device.

Further, Charlie may suffer from the lack of perspective that all other Erf-worlders seem to have. He is so wrapped up in the 'way-things-are-done' that he might not be able to appreciate Parson's alien take on things. Charlie is unlikely to see the same cheats and tweaks that Parson does. Parson, after all, is the Perfect Warlord.

I agree with your F Charlie sentiment. I am not enjoying the way we are continuously discovering ever-new and different abilities. At this rate he will be rivaling the Titans of Ark by the end of Book 2.
- G.K. Chesterton

justamessenger

Postby Ansan Gotti » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:49 am

DevilDan wrote:What does it mean, "proved" they can't parley with Jetstone?

Probably referring to King World, which happened under the auspices of Jetstone, even though it was Jillian who executed on it.
Ansan Gotti

Postby Vorteks » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am

Awesome update, as always. Art is really top-notch. I note that although Parson's clothes changed to a Roger-Wilco-esque uniform when he spoke to Charlie in book 1, the royals don't seem to have to endure that indignity. Makes me wonder if the uniform Parson was deposited in to was some deliberate jab from Charlie. Or maybe royals just get better treatment due to their status.

It certainly seems possible that Charlie is listening to Gobwin Knob's thinkagrams. If that it the case, it wouldn't necessarily mean that Charlie could listen in to any thinkagram in the world, anywhere. He may have placed a "bug" on Parson in specific, so that he would be notified of any thinkagrams *Parson* participates in, and would have the opportunity to listen in to them. Also, if that were the case, there may be some maintenance cost to keep the bug active (juice, schmuckers, a limitation on his other activities, whatever).

Of course, there are other possible interpretations as well. Charlie might just be talking to someone else. Haggar? Gobwin tribes near Gobwin Knob, as part of his undermining efforts? His own archons, giving them orders? Don of Transylvito? Ya never know.

At the very least, we know that Charlie's mind isn't so incredibly overpowered that he can take 2 calls at once.

Actually, that kinda surprises me. Given the fluid nature of time in Erfworld, as established in the summer updates, and the fact that Tramennis, Jillian, and Charlie are all in different hexes, I would have thought that time would have just rearranged itself so that the calls were back to back instead of simultaneous. *shrug*
Vorteks
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Next

Return to Reactions