Book 2 – Text Updates 029

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Text Updates 029

Postby balder » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:08 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 029

Postby Ambug666 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:23 pm

Very well written. Poetic even. Too bad Ossimer doesn't seem to have poetry in his soul....

...if the Decrypted even have souls.
Ambug666

Postby ftl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:31 pm

I took a little break from the forums but this update drew me back. Very poetic!

I like the description of Parson with an idea. Very terrifying - as it should be. And definitely very poetic, as is appropriate for Sylvia. She likes her poetry.

Ossomer is quite new to the side, and hasn't picked up the reverence towards Parson that Wanda has (and all the decrypted who are around Wanda). He'll learn. Or he'll dust trying.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby justamessenger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:38 pm

Sweet!

I find it interesting that Sylvia was picking up on something just prior to the volcano being uncroaked. The question is: did she actually sense Hamster or did she sense the linked casters working on the volcano? Either way, her description of the feeling is interesting, as is her description of the Arkenpliers. I believe this is the first time we have heard a first person experience regarding them.

And, finally, the complete and total confidence Sylvia, Wanda and Jack have in Hamster is amazing. Wanda was there, Jack has some glimmering of the way Hamster's mind works, or maybe he understands that he does *not* understand... Sylvia, though, is her belief and trust derived from Wanda or is it independent?
"Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
- G.K. Chesterton

Special thanks to BLANDCorporatio for the awesome avatar!!
justamessenger

Postby ftl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Sylvia was also there at TBfGK, and watched her own side go from outnumbering Stanley 25 to 1 to having Stanley escape, Ansom (wielder of the Arkenpliers, no less) croak, and her entire army and the armies of all their allies wiped out. While I have no doubt that Wanda also contributed to the faith after decrypting her, she has plenty of reason to come to that faith on her own as well, once she learned that the turning point in the battle was the summoning of Parson.

Also... Ossomer stood with "three of his brothers"? Is that a typo, or did we just learn there used to be more Jetstone princes? I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if there were more, Jetstone seems like the sort of side to have more, but we hadn't heard of any others before, had we?
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby justamessenger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:48 pm

ftl wrote:Also... Ossomer stood with "three of his brothers"? Is that a typo, or did we just learn there used to be more Jetstone princes? I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if there were more, Jetstone seems like the sort of side to have more, but we hadn't heard of any others before, had we?

Darn, forgot to mention that... Perhaps there is another brother that was killed? Or not mentioned? If there *is* another brother, why did he not inherit the title of Chief Warlord, given Slately's distaste at appointing Tramennis to that position?
"Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
- G.K. Chesterton

justamessenger

Postby Lord Kasavin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:48 pm

I like to think I'd know Parson's response to this description of him, "Wanda, GTFO!"

He is smart, good and min-maxing, and creative. However, he is also very, very human. Yet, those around him seem to building him up to be a Messianic figure. While Christ figures are quite common in the arts, the idea of a reluctant savior in denial is less common (Life of Brian is an obvious exception).

Also, I find it interesting that Ansom and Lady Lazarus have such different opinions of Parson. Ansom has grown to think of Parson as "a Pretender in the service of the Titans," a rival for Wanda's approval, an interloper, and a blasphemer.

On a final note, it appears Jetstone is not aware of Parson, or Ossomer would surely have recognized the name of the Warlord who defeated his brother's grand coalition.

Edit: Also, the talk of ideas made me think of the movie Inception. I wonder if it influenced this text update any.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby Chris Goodwin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:04 pm

I just went back and checked, but Sylvia croaked with the 'pliers in hand. I wonder if that means anything. Very cool and yes, slightly creepy, her description thereof.
Chris Goodwin

Postby gameboy1234 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:08 pm

OK, scared of Sylvia now.

Rob writes chicks who are really intense.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby build6 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:22 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:OK, scared of Sylvia now.

hrm! I actually came into the thread specifically to post that "Sylvia freaks me out" ...

anyways I doubt Hamster/Parson knows the kind of effect he's really having on the world.

And Ossomer - heh, makes it nicely clear that he IS a "lunkhead" with not much introspection

also - when did Sylvia hold the arkenpliers?
build6

Postby Ninjaguineapig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:27 pm

Sylvia had the pliers in between Ansom's croaking by Bogroll and the eruption.

If she really felt Parson thinking, what could that mean? Is he unknowingly telepathic or something? Or is there something more Fate-y involved?
Ninjaguineapig

Postby yuffiek » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:32 pm

build6 wrote:when did Sylvia hold the arkenpliers?

Sylvia recovered them after Ansom and Bogroll were croaked. She's also holding them as the volcano erupts (which is interesting, it means Wanda probably found Sylvia all Pompeii'ed when she got the Arkenpliers)

No wonder Sylvia's turned from hot-blooded Unaroyal Warlord into a dissociative nihilist pyromanic Decrypted.... :twisted:
yuffiek

Postby Chevalier » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:47 pm

This was brilliant, and worth the wait. No need for that stage fright!
Chevalier

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:50 pm

Thank you, Rob and Xin! Keep up the great work!
MarbitChow

Postby Dr Pepper » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Sylvia Scarlet's fellow commander is Ossomer-- but she is the ossomest!
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby cdrcjsn » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:57 pm

justamessenger wrote:
ftl wrote:Also... Ossomer stood with "three of his brothers"? Is that a typo, or did we just learn there used to be more Jetstone princes? I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if there were more, Jetstone seems like the sort of side to have more, but we hadn't heard of any others before, had we?

Darn, forgot to mention that... Perhaps there is another brother that was killed? Or not mentioned? If there *is* another brother, why did he not inherit the title of Chief Warlord, given Slately's distaste at appointing Tramennis to that position?

Might be something as simple as Trammenis is right there and the brother was out of reach at the old capital? Might've wanted to stack as many multipliers as possible in the upcoming fight.
Visit my webcomic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Epic Fantasy Comedy. Familiar Point of View.
cdrcjsn

Postby shadowdemon_lord » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:03 pm

This was a great update. A look into Sylvias mind and her trust in Parson and respect of Parson. It seems she is a deeply introspective character, with little arrogance. Her displayed trust in Parson is based on what he did at TbfGK, where through guile, unorthodox tactics, and pure brilliance he managed to take a situation outnumbered 25 to 1 and almost stop it in its tracks before the main assault started. To appreciate brilliance like that when it ends in your own misforturne, humiliation, and ultimate defeat requires one to be very humbled by said events, as opposed to outraged.
shadowdemon_lord

Postby justamessenger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:10 pm

cdrcjsn wrote:
justamessenger wrote:

Might be something as simple as Trammenis is right there and the brother was out of reach at the old capital? Might've wanted to stack as many multipliers as possible in the upcoming fight.

I went back a few strips, http://www.erfworld.com/page/8/ , Slately very clearly refers to Tramennis as his 'remaining son.' So... My vote is that Tramennis isthe sole surviving son, given the 'we haven't the schmuckers to designate him' comment made by Slately in the same strip
- G.K. Chesterton

justamessenger

Postby Sieggy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:14 pm

Whoaaa . . . that was . . . impressive. Excellent writing. Didn't advance the plot very much, but it certainly gave some depth to Sylvia's personality. And I wonder if there's a connection between the reaction one has to the arkentool and the depth of one's soul. Oh, wait. Stanley. Well, THAT theory is shot to hell . . .
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby Dancingrage » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:27 pm

I'm very impressed with this post, and am not as worried about the timing of how long it takes for you to get the pages out, given such excellent work on each page, get them done as you can and we'll bask in their glory when they get here.

The description of Parson as being another Power with a Capital P is a very interesting one, and this post both illustrates the earlier description from Jack about Ossomer (someone went into the larder and promoted a side of beef) as well as putting an even keener insight into Lady Sylvia and how she views Parson. Indeed, if you got croaked by someone who you set out to curbstomp at the above mentioned odds and wind up getting smeared all over the side of a now-active volcano, you'd gain realms of respect (assuming you came back) for that commander that would fall short of any attempt bar a poet's to describe.

That said, it occurs to me that this battle is nowhere near as lop-sided as TBfGK was, I wonder if despite the archery this is something Parson is planning on winning?

RE: the sons of Slately; It's not uncommon for sons to pop and then get killed, Don Vito is an excellent reminder of how popped royalty can get themselves croaked in a hurry. Ansom fell at TBfGK, and Ossomer just earlier that turn, so with the tides of war fluctuating about, it's likely there could have been another son lost to the sands of war and time all those turns ago.
Dancingrage

Next

Return to Reactions