Re: Book 2 – Page 40

Postby Midas » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:57 pm

First post?

Does this mean Parson will fight?

Love the NBC PSA rainbow!
Midas

Postby Ansan Gotti » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:58 pm

Wonder what that thing in the foreground (lower right) of panel 6 is? Is that the figure he was holding? Maybe so. Angle makes it seem really big.
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby LogicsFate » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:00 pm

Gay

....I am very sorry for this post, I love all people. ;)

Edit: The last frame says rainbow, It's on the UN symbol.... It's over my head.
Last edited by LogicsFate on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LogicsFate

Postby Chris Goodwin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:02 pm

The rainbows. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

And... Hello Slately. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

And... And... Charlie... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Shout out to us! Woohoo! "Myth and legend, wild speculation, paranoid suspicions..." AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chris Goodwin

Postby jabbersocky » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:06 pm

I hope Parson's just arming himself to become fully immersed in his new role, because the alternative would be suicide.
My life for Jetstone!
Her vorpal blade went snicker-snack! as she croaked every dwagon in the stack.
jabbersocky

Postby NoDesignation » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:07 pm

LogicsFate wrote:Gay

That's just what I was thinking, and quite happy for it. Not just gay, but fagtastic! It's magically gaylicious.

This seems to be a hat tip toward the culturally queer ways Tramennis has been acting. It makes me wonder if his queerness will ever become an issue within the plot rather than just an element of his persona (a la the criticism of Dumbledore).
NoDesignation

Postby Lor » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:11 pm

I particularly like the rainbow reflection off Trem's armor. A very nice touch.

I do wonder:
How is the reflection getting on the backplate in frame 10?

Why does Trem look disappointed at Charlie's emphasis of familiarity?
Last edited by Lor on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Cedric: Delayed? How so?
Wamba: Well, when I heard Normans were approaching I ran to lock up my wife. But, she'd also heard they were approaching, and locked me up instead.
Lor
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby oslecamo2 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:13 pm

Woot, who needs drugs in Erfworld when you have thinkmancy? Is Charlie doing that just for the lulz or actualy trying to confuse Trems?

Anyway, it seems like we'll finally be seeing Trems diplomatic skillz, woot!
oslecamo2

Postby BCCroaker » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:13 pm

"Charlescomm's neutrality has never waived".
Surely that should "wavered".
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Athiesh » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:14 pm

The figurine looks to be one of the war room guards from the last panel of the Parson section of the comic.
I like the pun on "The More You Know".

Major Telecommunications Corp. slogan: Check
Used for PSA: Check
Rainbow Inspired: Double-Check

Anyways what could he want with the Armory? The one where Ace Hardware is located or the one in GK? Pumped, keep em comin!!!

:D
Athiesh

Postby Raza » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Lol @ rampant speculation. This page will never be as funny again as it is right now to those who've been keeping up with the reactions forum.

And Charlie flat-out lies for the first time in conversation. Apparently he's not quite lawful, just polite.

Somebody wanna explain everything they get about the various symbols? I feel like I'm missing most of it.
Last edited by Raza on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raza

Postby Guppy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:30 pm

jabbersocky wrote:I hope Parson's just arming himself to become fully immersed in his new role, because the alternative would be suicide.

There's no way Parson could actually participate in the current battle, is there? No sort of Flyer-chain transport zzero-move cheat could get him there (even if a chain was set-up ahead of time) until next turn resumption -- are we expecting combat to last multiple turns?

Or maybe he just needs a sword to symbolically represent his ruthlessness again, since he chucked his special artifact.
Guppy

Postby Hyudra » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:31 pm

Raza, the majority of them are from Lucky Charms.

And I registered to comment: It's interesting that the figurine Parson chose is one with a sword, considering the end of Book 1.
Hyudra

Postby BCCroaker » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:36 pm

He may not get to the current battle, but from where he put his representative manikin, Parson is definitely looking for a way to get on the road. How is he going to break the engarrisoned thing?
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Raza » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:36 pm

Hyudra wrote:Raza, the majority of them are from Lucky Charms.

Are they, on this page? I wouldn't expect Lucky Charms to have more than one rainbow. I know for a fact that the one with slately, the UN symbol and the slogan thingy aren't.

Guppy wrote:Or maybe he just needs a sword to symbolically represent his ruthlessness again, since he chucked his special artifact.

Hyudra wrote:And I registered to comment: It's interesting that the figurine Parson chose is one with a sword, considering the end of Book 1.

I think you two are on to something.
Raza

Postby Zeku » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:42 pm

The figure in the foreground panel 6 is the one he's playing with in previous panels, the one representing himself.

This page is kind of interesting, because I wasn't really expecting there to be more development in this direction. It's fairly clear to see that Charlie is nervously defending his neutrality in order to convince Tram that he really is on the Royal side. Manipulation like this is part and parcel for Charlie, and would help him lower operating expenses on any operation. I'm very curious to see what he is actually going to use that leverage for, however. We still don't know what Charlie is attempting to accomplish here, though we can assume it has something to do with stopping GK's expansion. I speculated that he wants to maintain a power balance to maximize his own profit, and that still seems plausible to me.

I was randomly reminded that it was Stanley who invented the notion of the 3-way caster link, at least from the perspective of the story. I would be curious if that was really an invention or suggestion of Wanda's, in order to reduce the number of casters bumping around in the office.
Zeku

Postby jabbersocky » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:46 pm

Guppy wrote:
jabbersocky wrote:I hope Parson's just arming himself to become fully immersed in his new role, because the alternative would be suicide.

There's no way Parson could actually participate in the current battle, is there? No sort of Flyer-chain transport zzero-move cheat could get him there (even if a chain was set-up ahead of time) until next turn resumption -- are we expecting combat to last multiple turns?

Or maybe he just needs a sword to symbolically represent his ruthlessness again, since he chucked his special artifact.

Well i was thinking a trip through the magic kingdom possibly could get him to the battle site but thats where the suicide part comes in. And it could last multiple turns as even if they get out of Spacerock GK forces are still cut off in enemy territory.
My life for Jetstone!
Her vorpal blade went snicker-snack! as she croaked every dwagon in the stack.
jabbersocky

Postby SteveMB » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:53 pm

NoDesignation wrote:This seems to be a hat tip toward the culturally queer ways Tramennis has been acting. It makes me wonder if his queerness will ever become an issue within the plot rather than just an element of his persona (a la the criticism of Dumbledore).

On the one hand, sex has nothing to do with reproduction in Erfworld, so there's less reason for the distinction to matter to anybody. On the other hand, there are all sorts of parallels to Parson's real world... just because (one could rationalize it as a selection effect -- Wanda locked on to him instead of somebody else because of the coincidental parallels). On the gripping hand, Tramennis being an intellectual type is a facet of the stereotype, and it seems pretty clear that his cleverness is going to be important (if he survives the current battle).
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Ambug666 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:58 pm

OK, the UN Logo. Most other things I can let slide, but I can't imagine how Charlie would come up with the UN Logo unless he is from our world, like Parson.
Ambug666

Next

Return to Reactions