Book 2 – Page 40

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 40

Postby Ansan Gotti » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:09 pm

ParsonIsOP wrote:And he can get to GK by dragon-relay.

Off-turn.

Garrison unit.

I don't think Parson is going anywhere at the moment. Maybe soon, though.
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby ftl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:18 pm

Ansan Gotti wrote:
ParsonIsOP wrote:And he can get to GK by dragon-relay.

Off-turn.

Garrison unit.

I don't think Parson is going anywhere at the moment. Maybe soon, though.

Also, a heavy, as per the summer updates, couldn't ride a dwagon then. (Did that change? Are they going to use a net?)
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby DoctorJest » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:30 pm

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:Whoa, butchering your own troops, get them into the larder as provisions, then send them to the air column and then decrypt them. That'd be evil. Really. Evil.

I don't think it works like that. We have no evidence that food in the larder is physically sent to troops in the field. Our previous experience with seeing how rations are distributed is they simply pop as part of that unit's upkeep for the turn. There isn't necessarily any direct connection between food in the larder and the food that pops for unit upkeep. Its probably just a requirement that there be food in the larder, or that the food in the larder gives a reduction in upkeep cost rather than it be the actual food eaten by the troops. It would be discordant for that to be the case, given everything else we've seen.
DoctorJest

Postby Terah » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:15 pm

Terah

Postby Radagast » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:27 pm

Could they pull something sneaky like send an "offering" to Jetstone of say 100 croaked Spidews?

Money transfers seem to be instant and magical, so why not food transfers?

I don't imagine that the Spacerock larder is terribly well defended either :)
Radagast

Postby throwingrocks » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:29 pm

Raza wrote:Lol @ rampant speculation. This page will never be as funny again as it is right now to those who've been keeping up with the reactions forum.

And Charlie flat-out lies for the first time in conversation. Apparently he's not quite lawful, just polite.

He didn't lie, per se; he didn't deny that he was helping, that he was doing it at his own expense. He implied that he was offended by the accusations, but did not deny that it was true. It's like answering the question "Do these pants make my butt look fat?" with "I love your butt in those pants.".
throwingrocks

Postby dannom » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:15 pm

I got the impression that Parson, after looking at his "miniature" had the idea to visit the Armory.
One thing that it has that he's lacking is a helm. Maybe he thought of something to
improve his appearance for the parley.
dannom

Postby Decorus » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:28 am

Charlie is actively trying to recruit Parson as such he can not appear to be involved hence Jillian.
Charlie wants to destroy Toolism he doesn't care about Jetstone or the RCC its the concept of Toolism he wanted to end by killing Wanda.
The fact that the RCC assumed he was on Stanley's side since he has a tool complicated matters.
There is nothing Charlie can do to save Jetstone nor will he.
Charlie's pay off was killing Wanda and destroying the concept of Toolism.
Decorus

Postby Dr Pepper » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:49 am

ParsonIsOP wrote:
The strip is probably trying to imply that Parson will personally take the field. He's telling Maggie that he feels uncomfortable with playing the rear-echelon commander and is putting down his own piece to represent his presence in the battle. Hence, he's going to the armory to get suited-up for battle.

And he can get to GK by dragon-relay.

1. He cannot ride even 1 dragon, let alone a relay
2. He cannot leave the Garrison
3. It is not Gobwin Knob's turn, none of their units can move between hexes, other than the possible use of teleportation.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby splintermute » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:01 am

Dr Pepper wrote:2. He cannot leave the Garrison

There is a non-teleportation way for a garrison unit to move off-turn, but it's not going to happen.
splintermute

Postby I<3ChocolateMilk » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:47 am

zilfallon wrote:[And uhm...What's the deal with lots of posts arguing about a small typo which doesn't make a difference in what we understand at all? Waivered or wavered, i'm pretty sure everyone here understood what Charlie meant there...

4 posts = lots (7 including the retcon one from effatagius, yours and this one of mine)? The same could be said about speculating about Parson's plans or discussions about how broken certain things are. It's a discussion forum. Emphasis on "discussion". If grammar isn't your scene, just skip over those posts. I do when it comes to battle plan speculations, certain broken items or when I see specific people have posted something.

In any event, Rob's retcon'd it, so it would appear that, to the author at least, it has made a difference.
Even though we all knew what Charlie was saying, there might be readers who don't have English as a first language, and it's worth getting everything as close to perfect as possible before sending the material off to the printers.
I<3ChocolateMilk

Postby Krennson » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:25 pm

effataigus wrote:No sooner had I posted than I thought of a counter to what I had just said:

The only reason I could see that Parson would need to go to the armory to put this plan in motion that Maggie wouldn't have anticipated is if Parson decided that he would croak the units being transported as "food" (i.e. dead spidews or something edible). This would be something I can imagine him thinking he has the responsibility to do now that he is recognizing the moral implications of butchering (and serving) his own troops. Also, he would have a chance of leveling from it, and, if he leveled, it would give his troops on the front line a +1 (assuming CW bonus is 1/3rd round down instead of 1/3rd round up (or to nearest)).

This could be part of a plan to use dead meat as a "brick" weapon, as decryption fodder, or both.

The foreshadowing of him treating himself like a unit would apply equally well to a line of thought about him making himself level as it would to him putting himself in harm's way.

I don't think that croaking your own troops counts for leveling purposes; otherwise there would be all sorts of methods for abuse that we would have heard of by now. probably.

and we know that there aren't any prisoners currently in gobwin knob, what with wanda and all.
Krennson

Postby atalex » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:30 pm

ftl wrote:
chanman wrote:.
Stanley wouldn't have it. Remember, we're told that Stanley has an irrational hatred of Charlie. That may very well be a lot more relevant than the Charlie-Parson dynamic - you're right, I wouldn't expect Charlie to take it personally. I'm still maintaining that he hasn't.

A sudden thought: we (and Parson) were told that Stanley has an irrational hatred of Charlie such that an alliance would be impossible, but do we have any reason to believe that to be true other than the statement of Wanda back in Book 1? If Wanda and Charlie conspired to manipulate Stanley into the Faq attack and/or the assassination of Saline IV, then both of them would have a strong motive to keep Stanley from approaching Charlie regardless of Stanley's own feelings on the matter.
atalex

Postby the_tick_rules » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:07 pm

Yeah but Charlie did say he wants GK defeated to create a more client-friendly enviroment. I dunno if he'll want to switch now.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby atteSmythe » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:48 pm

chanman wrote:What interests me is whether Charlie knows that the uncroaking of the volcano has greatly enriched GK's treasury. He seems to be the type that would keep track of Parson's turn expenditures. It's probably not the kind of information he would let slip.

Interesting. Anyone doing so would have to massively overestimate spending, too, since no one outside of GK knows (or should know) that the Decrypted don't cost upkeep. That will change at the beginning of FAQ's next turn, since they'll be responsible for paying the (0-shmucker) upkeep for their captive.
atteSmythe

Postby build6 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:49 pm

chanman wrote:What interests me is whether Charlie knows that the uncroaking of the volcano has greatly enriched GK's treasury. He seems to be the type that would keep track of Parson's turn expenditures. It's probably not the kind of information he would let slip.

atteSmythe wrote:Interesting. Anyone doing so would have to massively overestimate spending, too, since no one outside of GK knows (or should know) that the Decrypted don't cost upkeep. That will change at the beginning of FAQ's next turn, since they'll be responsible for paying the (0-shmucker) upkeep for their captive.

The economics of GK is definitely something GK's enemies - at least those with any strategic thinkers - would have to think about. And that the decrypted have no upkeep is a really game-imbalancing factor since that means there's no upper limit to the forces you can field.

I'd think that Charlie and the RCC2 would at least suspect there's no upkeep requirement for the decrypted anyway - I mean, the "rules" clearly don't apply to GK/Wanda anymore considering decryption is such an "impossible" thing anyway
build6

Postby throwingrocks » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:08 pm

atteSmythe wrote:

Interesting. Anyone doing so would have to massively overestimate spending, too, since no one outside of GK knows (or should know) that the Decrypted don't cost upkeep. That will change at the beginning of FAQ's next turn, since they'll be responsible for paying the (0-shmucker) upkeep for their captive.

We know Parson can't see stats, and that this is supposed to be an inherent ability of Erfworld (hence the 3-D glasses for Parson), but has it been said yet definitively whether or not units can see the stats of enemy or non-allied units?
throwingrocks

Postby Chris Goodwin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:29 pm

throwingrocks wrote:
atteSmythe wrote:

We know Parson can't see stats, and that this is supposed to be an inherent ability of Erfworld (hence the 3-D glasses for Parson), but has it been said yet definitively whether or not units can see the stats of enemy or non-allied units?

I believe it was made explicit that only rulers, warlords, and some casters of the unit's own side can see unit stats.
Chris Goodwin

Postby Meiji_man » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:42 pm

Spoiler: show
I think the "food-fight" is not going to involve food. I think the plan it to turn the whole thing into the biggest messiest grand melee possible. And attempting to pick off the Slately in the process. Disbanding Jetstone.

Parson is going down to armor up, then he will pass though the magic kingdom to Spacerock. He will then be a unit inside the tower. This might start the battle right there. But he will want to parley with Slately. who will of course accept. Bogroll got an attack on Ansom. Wanda got an attack on Jillian, Parson will get his shot.
Meiji_man

Postby chanman » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:13 am

build6 wrote:

atteSmythe wrote:Interesting. Anyone doing so would have to massively overestimate spending, too, since no one outside of GK knows (or should know) that the Decrypted don't cost upkeep. That will change at the beginning of FAQ's next turn, since they'll be responsible for paying the (0-shmucker) upkeep for their captive.

The economics of GK is definitely something GK's enemies - at least those with any strategic thinkers - would have to think about. And that the decrypted have no upkeep is a really game-imbalancing factor since that means there's no upper limit to the forces you can field.

I'd think that Charlie and the RCC2 would at least suspect there's no upkeep requirement for the decrypted anyway - I mean, the "rules" clearly don't apply to GK/Wanda anymore considering decryption is such an "impossible" thing anyway

If Charlie is aware of GK's treasury boon, he has every incentive to hide this from the RCC and negotiate a way for himself to take custody of the shinies - preferably without anyone knowing why exactly he wants the land GK sits on.
chanman

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions