Book 2 – Text Updates 031

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Text Updates 031

Postby balder » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:55 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 031

Postby Ansan Gotti » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:14 pm

Hmm. I'm thinking dirtamancy traps in the armory are looking more likely. Not sure how they'll get them to the battle, though.
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Swodaems » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:19 pm

So bad things come in the Fibbonaci sequence.
Swodaems

Postby Chris Goodwin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:36 pm

"There you are. Thinkamancer, I want you and the Dirtamancer to link up and unmelt the Sword of Ruthlessness. See if we can't figure out a way to link the Croakamancer in at range and get her to uncroak it. I don't care, I just need the sword."
Chris Goodwin

Postby justamessenger » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:40 pm

Very interesting!

So, Hippiemancers are all about 'free love.'

Janis is worried enough that she wants a Predictamancer to get involved and give some indication of what the outcome of the upcoming battle might be... We know that she is bucking for Parson to game the system and break Erfworld, is the desire for knowledge for her own sake, or is it sought to be passed along to Parson in the hopes of increasing his chances?

The sudden order for Sizemore to return: Not unexpected. Can he be relayed to the battle before things get started? Can his Dirtamancy extend beyond the airspace? Are there any Dirtamancy traps that can be deployed by the flying units under the 'gravity still works' principle? Do we know if there are any Dirtamancy-created golems on hand, and if so, can they be transported by air via dragon relay?

This post just created a host of questions for me... Yikes...
"Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
- G.K. Chesterton

Special thanks to BLANDCorporatio for the awesome avatar!!
justamessenger

Postby yuffiek » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:49 pm

One of the things a side can do off turn is spend money.
One of the things a caster can do off turn is convert gems to Schmuckers (at a small juice cost)
Sizemore has all of his daily juice allotment available.
Most of GK's treasury is probably in the form of gems.

Whatever Parson has in mind... I think he's going to be shelling out beaucoup bucks on it...
yuffiek

Postby Thalnawr » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:50 pm

And that battle was to happen this morning, wasn't it? But it was so far from the capital, even by dwagon relay he would not have been able to reach it. If it had gone very well, it would still be a strange moment to end the turn early...

So we get confirmation that dwagon relay for anything to affect the battle within a turn is pretty much out of the question... Interesting.
Thalnawr

Postby Morgaln » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Well, that answers the question on whether Erfers have sex or not, if not what purpose it accomplishes... :lol:

I really wonder what Sizemore was ordered back for. The update outright states the GK capital is too far away to get him there by dragon relay, even if that could be done off-turn. Which I am almost sure also rules out any conventional spells reaching there, I just can't imagine any spells with physical effects could. Otherwise people would just sit in their capitals and have their casters screw around with enemy capitals. But he could reach it through the magic kingdom, which means Parson could try to send him there under the guise of diplomacy; complete with all kinds of dirtamancy traps/bombs/whatever he could hide on his body. Unless Parson wants him as an advisor, I don't see what else he could need him for...
Morgaln

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:00 pm

Sizemore, yay! Is back! And there was much rejoicing. More Sizemore is always welcome!

And even apart from that, a nice, if not particularly meaty, update.

Yes, not meaty. We are teased with orders from Parson, the purpose of which we don't know, with a mention of Predictamancy, that we don't get to see, with a Fibonacci sequence of ill news that haven't yet occurred ...

This is a text update, and it's (sort of) ok for it to not actually move the story forward much. However, the regular comic updates are taking their damn sweet time to get anywhere.

Enough. I want to know what that Prediction is. I want to see that Titan damned battle happen already. And if there's bad news they better show up.
Last edited by BLANDCorporatio on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby DoctorJest » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:01 pm

Morgaln wrote:Well, that answers the question on whether Erfers have sex or not

That was a question?
DoctorJest

Postby ftl » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:08 pm

justamessenger wrote:Janis is worried enough that she wants a Predictamancer to get involved and give some indication of what the outcome of the upcoming battle might be... We know that she is bucking for Parson to game the system and break Erfworld, is the desire for knowledge for her own sake, or is it sought to be passed along to Parson in the hopes of increasing his chances?

Janis has some motives here. We don't know them. Janis and a Predictamancer are planning something. They were planning it before, when she urged Sizemore that Parson must lead.

I doubt it's knowledge to be passed along to Parson to increase his chances. Janis hasn't done things like that in the past, and besides - if she wanted to help GK militarily, there were earlier opportunities for that. (Though that's tentative - but again, she's a hippiemancer, I can't see her wanting to get involved in a war without higher motives.)I doubt it's knowledge for its own sake. She seemed far too rushed for that. And she told Sizemore that he should wait there - so the predictamancer could talk to him about something?

That doesn't leave me with any theories I like, though. We don't know much about what Janis is planning.

Also, the repeated reference to "A predictamancer" keeps making me wonder whether it's gonna be FAQ's predictamancer. And, if so, why everything seems to be coming down to FAQ.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby badninja » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:12 pm

I love when Sizemore realizes that Parson is back in charge, he knows that it cannot be good. I get a feeling that Sizemore not talking to that predictamancer will have serious ramifications, like him not knowing about a possibility. Over all super update, I enjoyed the Star Trek reference now what is Parson's twisted mind is coming up with.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Morgaln » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:13 pm

DoctorJest wrote:

That was a question?

To me, yes. Considering the purpose of sex is procreation, which it can't be on Erfworld, I wasn't sure if they were even able to. Although now that I think of it, one of the summer updates already answered the question, so ignore my rambling...
Morgaln

Postby ftl » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:19 pm

badninja wrote:I love when Sizemore realizes that Parson is back in charge, he knows that it cannot be good. I get a feeling that Sizemore not talking to that predictamancer will have serious ramifications, like him not knowing about a possibility. Over all super update, I enjoyed the Star Trek reference now what is Parson's twisted mind is coming up with.

Again, it's a text update. I doubt it'll have serious ramifications. It will perhaps add flavor, since we'll know that something is up that Sizemore doesn't, but it won't be too significant otherwise. Text updates don't work like that.

Morgaln wrote:
DoctorJest wrote:

That was a question?

To me, yes. Considering the purpose of sex is procreation, which it can't be on Erfworld, I wasn't sure if they were even able to. Although now that I think of it, one of the summer updates already answered the question, so ignore my rambling...

Eh, besides, Erfworld is chock full of things which have some purpose on Earth, but on Erf are just empty replicas. Houses in the city that nobody lives in, because there aren't any civilians in the first place.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Chris Goodwin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Morgaln wrote:
DoctorJest wrote:

That was a question?

All the way back in book 1, even.
Chris Goodwin

Postby Lamech » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:54 pm

Lets see, there was a klog about bombs. Having sizemore make said bombs. They are going to the armoury. And calling Sizemore.

Hmm...

Clearly the plan is to: Hire a turnamancer and have the dwagons descend and attack while Stanley leads them rocking out, wielding the reforged Sword of Ruthlessness.
Lamech

Postby gameboy1234 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:05 pm

Yay Sizemore! So that's why we haven't seen him so far this book.

Lamech wrote:Lets see, there was a klog about bombs. Having sizemore make said bombs. They are going to the armoury. And calling Sizemore.

Hmm...

Hmm, indeed. GK isn't well liked in the Magic Kingdom, but Sizemore is. Carry some bombs from the armory to Spacerock? And bad news comes in 3, 5, 8... this could be very bad news for Sizemore if he is banished from the MK as a result.

Also, Janis mentioned breaking Erfworld. I wonder if convincing every Overlord to wall off their magic portal because it's now a point of attack would constitute "breaking Erfworld."
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Megaduck » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:08 pm

I love the raw feeling of doom that they get when they see that Parson is now GK's CW.
Megaduck

Postby Dr Pepper » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:18 pm

Bad news comes in fibonacci terms?
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby atalex » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:19 pm

I just love the fact that for months we've had all this increasingly frenzied speculation on where Sizemore was and what he was doing, and all this time, he's been on sabbatical because there was nothing for him to do.
atalex

Next

Return to Reactions