Book 2 – Page 44

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby ftl » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:26 pm

build6 wrote:what happens when, because Parson is Parson, his side doesn't use underlings for sex etc. - doesn't basically do the things erfworld "expects" to be done/is normal, and the various other sides decide this is an aberration that needs to be exterminated because it's making their own people unhappy ("I'd rather automatically disband than live this way. Heck, there's a side down south where their overlord DOES allow them to live like this!" We do know, that erf-lings do question what life is all about - Janis, Tramennis etc. - everybody with any introspection, basically), and there's an anti-Parson coalition as a result? Then the only way for Parson to live the way he does is to win over the entire world so he can establish his rules everywhere :-)


Disagree, still. We know of at least two sides that are complete abberations. Charlie, and FAQ. Neither got huge coalitions against them. Stanley managed to get a huge coalition against him... by lashing out, attacking everyone within striking distance, and declaring himself to have a Titanic mandate that superceded royalty.

Do you really think that based on vague rumors that some other overlord somewhere is treating his underlings weirdly that you'll get mass suicides and self-disbandings? Really? Have you seen *anything* in the behavior of Zhopa, Bogroll, Wrigley that makes you think that that's remotely plausible?
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: tragedy approaches?

Postby coyo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:40 pm

It sounds like from previous strips that Parson would rather have done a parley if he thought it could have a positive outcome. With the council he's given, he dismisses it as useless. Tramennis is the first Jetstone we've seen that would actually use the parley for real negotiations.

That being said, Parson will probably be the first one to realize just how useful a decypted Tram could be.
. o O (we're just approximations of ourselves)
. o O (imagination is)
User avatar
coyo
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: The Bay Area

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby joosy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:55 pm

build6 wrote:what happens when, because Parson is Parson, his side doesn't use underlings for sex etc. - doesn't basically do the things erfworld "expects" to be done/is normal, and the various other sides decide this is an aberration that needs to be exterminated because it's making their own people unhappy ("I'd rather automatically disband than live this way. Heck, there's a side down south where their overlord DOES allow them to live like this!" We do know, that erf-lings do question what life is all about - Janis, Tramennis etc. - everybody with any introspection, basically), and there's an anti-Parson coalition as a result? Then the only way for Parson to live the way he does is to win over the entire world so he can establish his rules everywhere :-)


That only makes sense if you apply our social norms and taboos regarding sex to Erfworld. As I stated in a previous post: There are no physical consequences from sex save from croaking that can't be healed the next turn. Sex does not produce children, you do not marry, you do not own 'property' save your own equipment, you do not get STI's, etc. Taboos on sexual intercourse on Erf probably only fall in categores of the 'cast system' (spelling intentional - they are forever stuck in the role or purpose they are popped/cast in at creation). Also, orders are orders. You follow them and thus fulfill your duty. If its making a sandwich, throwing yourself on a spear, or enacting the Kama Sutra, orders are orders. The one aberration in this world regarding sex is love. Love is a mystery/battlefield/yadda yadda yadda as is brought up time and again as an underlying theme.

The one thing that strikes me as being 'disruptive' is the fact that Stanley broke free from his 'cast' and went from a piker to an Overlord. Yes, that might inspire other lowly pikers with delusions of grandeur but it probably upsets popped Nobility/Royals more. They resent a lowly piker comparing themselves, nay, claiming greater status then them. its akin to fundamentalists of any religion having to accept that others believe just as fervently as they do about completely different things. Having to accept that concept means accepting the slightest hint that their own beliefs may be wrong and well.. you just cant have that. To the Holy Crusade mobile! And if that fails, well then they just stick their noses in the air and say "We'll pray for them" - the religious euphemism for "f*ck you". But I digress.. My evidence: As was explained in Book 1, (then) Prince Ansom's motives to organize the RCC were mainly because Stanley wasn't Royal.
joosy
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:30 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby multilis » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:55 pm

joosy wrote:its akin to fundamentalists of any religion having to accept that others believe just as fervently as they do about completely different things. Having to accept that concept means accepting the slightest hint that their own beliefs may be wrong and well.. you just cant have that. To the Holy Crusade mobile! And if that fails, well then they just stick their noses in the air and say "We'll pray for them" - the religious euphemism for "f*ck you".


I think the description could also apply to "fundementalist athiests" or "fundamentist politics", example the reactions to last few presidents of the united states, when their policies/actions when in power are actually pretty similar. (Clinton bombed iraq for WMD, Bush negotiated bigger % reduction in nukes, Ted Kennedy dreams "No Child left behind"(Bush) "Medicare". Withdrawl from Iraq followed time table negotiated by Bush, Obama has increasing surge, drone attacks in Pakistan, first millitary tribunal cases under Obama are in news today.

Erfworld may similarly have the different factions who believe their own propoganda.

...

"We'll pray for them" - I am not sure your assessment always is fair on this... we do in our world have concept of "good samaritan", caring about people from other sides/factions including helpful to others often hated, just as a samaritan was helpful to a jew when normally both sides couldn't stand each other, and "fundamentalists" sometimes are able to do this.

Does erfworld even have this concept? Perhaps that is part of Hippymancy. Perhaps world needs to be "broken" for hippymancy to be effective.
multilis
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby joosy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:16 pm

multilis wrote:
"We'll pray for them" - I am not sure your assessment always is fair on this.


To be fair, I was raised fundamentalist but I was freed when I grew a spine and a brain. I always heard that phrase "We'll pray for you" used as a parting shot or last word in any debate or confrontation with those who disagreed with us and I eventually came to realize what it really meant.
joosy
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:30 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby gd1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:55 am

Not sure if anyone noticed this, but the shredder gauntlet and staff on and in one of his hands are red whereas his mathamancy bracer and the sword (andumaril from lord of the rings?) scabbard/hilt on his other side are blue. Is it a balance between something?
gd1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:48 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby zilfallon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:58 am

gd1 wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed this, but the shredder gauntlet and staff on and in one of his hands are red whereas his mathamancy bracer and the sword (andumaril from lord of the rings?) scabbard/hilt on his other side are blue. Is it a balance between something?


Maybe it's Signamancy :)
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

Image
User avatar
zilfallon
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:47 am
Location: Magic Kingdom

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby build6 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:34 am

ftl wrote:Do you really think that based on vague rumors that some other overlord somewhere is treating his underlings weirdly that you'll get mass suicides and self-disbandings? Really? Have you seen *anything* in the behavior of Zhopa, Bogroll, Wrigley that makes you think that that's remotely plausible?


I was thinking more in terms of something similar to, say, the Russian revolution/communist uprisings. What is possible to tell from the musings of various characters (e.g. Tramennis with his adjutant) is that the "rank and file" in erfworld do think about their purpose in life/existence etc. - just that there's really no alternative for them really, such that it's more "theoretical" than anything they can take action upon. Likewise, peasants slaved for a long, long time, until changes in society, communications etc. and some ... agitators? (what's a better word here?) came up with this idea called communism, and then for the next hundred years or so you've got marxist/leninist/maoist (shining path still exists?) "movements" all over), many of which obtained power.

the situation's gonna be much trickier for the uprising-peons of Erfworld because if the ruler can just disband you with a thought, it's ... not gonna be as easy (feasible?) to initiate a regime-change from within, unless the heir is on your side. but, y'know, there's such a thing as people who are not prepared to do anything to live, and will not concede on principle ("give me liberty or give me death"). Perhaps a ruler could be forced to negotiate either allowing (by "ordering") certain practices, or be faced with a need to mass-disband large masses (or perhaps virtually all?) - and leaving the side highly vulnerable to (virtually doomed against, if you have to disband enough troops you've already paid your schmuckers for?) enemies (which are basically everywhere/everyone else, in Erfworld).
build6
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby ftl » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:21 pm

build6 wrote:I was thinking more in terms of something similar to, say, the Russian revolution/communist uprisings. What is possible to tell from the musings of various characters (e.g. Tramennis with his adjutant) is that the "rank and file" in erfworld do think about their purpose in life/existence etc. - just that there's really no alternative for them really, such that it's more "theoretical" than anything they can take action upon. Likewise, peasants slaved for a long, long time, until changes in society, communications etc. and some ... agitators? (what's a better word here?) came up with this idea called communism, and then for the next hundred years or so you've got marxist/leninist/maoist (shining path still exists?) "movements" all over), many of which obtained power.

the situation's gonna be much trickier for the uprising-peons of Erfworld because if the ruler can just disband you with a thought, it's ... not gonna be as easy (feasible?) to initiate a regime-change from within, unless the heir is on your side. but, y'know, there's such a thing as people who are not prepared to do anything to live, and will not concede on principle ("give me liberty or give me death"). Perhaps a ruler could be forced to negotiate either allowing (by "ordering") certain practices, or be faced with a need to mass-disband large masses (or perhaps virtually all?) - and leaving the side highly vulnerable to (virtually doomed against, if you have to disband enough troops you've already paid your schmuckers for?) enemies (which are basically everywhere/everyone else, in Erfworld).


I think you're missing the point. All wrigley *wanted* was to stab someone. He would have hated living in a peaceful utopia where he doesn't fight anyone and doesn't get any orders. Following orders is his purpose in life, the reason why he popped.

Remember Bogroll? http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_85 . THAT'S the mindset of an erfworlder. What's his greatest ambition? To serve his side, to save his Chief Warlord.

These aren't people who are "doing anything to live". These are people who want to live this way.

Remember the conversation between Maggie and Parson? When it turned out he'd never had sexual contact with the Archons, Maggie didn't think this was noble or high-minded of him; no, it was just weird.

If he ran a side like that, that's the reaction he'd get. "How strange." And that's it. You are mistakenly assuming that for some reason, the units in his side would he happier than the units in other sides. I think you're wrong about that; Erf units don't think like Earth people in many ways, *especially* ways relating to morality and authority. The logistics of planning a revolution or a disbandment strike are pointless when the units won't even *want* to get to where you think they want to get to.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby gd1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:28 pm

zilfallon wrote:
gd1 wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed this, but the shredder gauntlet and staff on and in one of his hands are red whereas his mathamancy bracer and the sword (andumaril from lord of the rings?) scabbard/hilt on his other side are blue. Is it a balance between something?


Maybe it's Signamancy :)


Actually, his plate armor is white, so it could be Red, White, and Blue. Patriotism FTW!
gd1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:48 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby danhaas » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:57 pm

The red glow probably just means it is has some offensive enchantment.
Patriotism FTW!

/irony Do you mean France?
Seriously, how could we drive this discussion into politics. Godwin's law incoming in 3, 2, 1...
danhaas
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby Twoy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Royal Nazis!
Twoy
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby Nihila » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:19 pm

danhaas wrote:The red glow probably just means it is has some offensive enchantment.
Patriotism FTW!

/irony Do you mean France?
Seriously, how could we drive this discussion into politics. Godwin's law incoming in 3, 2, 1...
Twoy wrote:Royal Nazis!
5 minutes, 4 seconds. Congratulations, Twoy. :D

Gobwin Knob Bolsheviks!
Royalist Scum!
Charlescomm Capitalism!
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:09 pm
Location: Probably totally lost.

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby build6 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:26 pm

ftl wrote:I think you're missing the point. All wrigley *wanted* was to stab someone. He would have hated living in a peaceful utopia where he doesn't fight anyone and doesn't get any orders. Following orders is his purpose in life, the reason why he popped.

Remember Bogroll? http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_85 . THAT'S the mindset of an erfworlder. What's his greatest ambition? To serve his side, to save his Chief Warlord.


well, if everyone in Erfworld thought like that then yeah there'd be no room for that. But I dunno, is Wrigley really representative? Maybe in their line up waiting to get executed plenty of Wrigley's comrades were thinking ("i didn't even want to be a stabber"). And insofar as Bogroll was chosen by Wanda to be Parson's aide - one presumes she knows what she's doing, before she "got religion" - maybe he's not representative.

And, I dunno, there's such a thing as new ideas spreading. Maybe as it gets widely known they'd start thinking "this sounds pretty good". Peasant uprisings happened semi-often in the feudal world, regularly getting put down, if not by their particular lord, then some neighbouring noble who couldn't believe his luck (good if his own peasants weren't restless, bad if his were "infected"), but it wasn't until there was an idealogy behind them that things got really dangerous for the status quo.
build6
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Re: tragedy approaches?

Postby HailGreen28 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:32 pm

coyo wrote:It sounds like from previous strips that Parson would rather have done a parley if he thought it could have a positive outcome. With the council he's given, he dismisses it as useless. Tramennis is the first Jetstone we've seen that would actually use the parley for real negotiations.

That being said, Parson will probably be the first one to realize just how useful a decypted Tram could be.
I think Parson had betrayal in mind with a parley. Maybe not an assasination aka Ansom. But immobilizing Tram, or hitting Slately while Tram is unable to defend him, or some trick while Tram is away from his main forces.

And attacking during parley circumstances isn't unheard of. Queen Bea had her CW kill her decrypted daughter under parley. But Charlie definitely made Tram more cautious. I really wonder if that affects Parson's REAL plan at all.
HailGreen28
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:17 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby Hiai » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:00 pm

joosy wrote:
multilis wrote:
"We'll pray for them" - I am not sure your assessment always is fair on this.


To be fair, I was raised fundamentalist but I was freed when I grew a spine and a brain. I always heard that phrase "We'll pray for you" used as a parting shot or last word in any debate or confrontation with those who disagreed with us and I eventually came to realize what it really meant.




I think the point he was making is that you are making some sweeping judgments based on personal experiences to generalize certain groups of people and cast them in a negative light, thus bringing a flavor of prejudice (which is usually considered negative) into a discussion that does not warrant it. In other words, a gentle reminder that any politics and/or religion discussed here would more appropriately be confined to Erfworld topics, rather than bringing up controversial Earth subjects.

Also along the politics line, there's nothing wrong in saying that Red, White and Blue are patriotic colors. After all, they are the flag colors for at least 26 nations. 29, if you count foreign-held territories that retain their own national flag. Inviting a Godwin in response seems a bit of an overreaction...

That being said, the signamancy idea would COMPLETELY warrant the use of "patriotic" colors, considering that nations choose their flag colors based on Earth's own, more mundane signamancy. There is a great deal of significance attached to color choices on Earth, with long traditions of certain colors standing for certain emotions or traits. For example, Western tradition considers blue to stand for trustworthiness, red to stand for passion (more specifically nationalism or courage, in flag contexts) and white for purity. If Erfworlders ascribe Signamancy to certain colors, as do Earthworlders, then the colors Parson arrives in could have a great deal of meaning to Jetstone. From all in-comic indications we've had so far, it seems Erfworlders are actually MORE likely to ascribe Signamancy than we are, so if this avenue is actually exlored further along in the plot, we could see some very interesting developments in Parson's wardrobe.
Hiai
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby Oberon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Darkmantle wrote:Occam's Razor is a useful tool but isn't a cure all. In Parson's case we know casters can enter the MK, we no non caster die when they enter the MK, he doesn't have caster in his goggles view but he has "special", since we don't have any real further information we can decide that he is most likely a caster or special counts him a caster for MK check. This doesn't prove anything and hence the endless speculation that has gone with his status.
True, but...

[The following seems like bad information to me, but it comes from the wikki. If it has been embellished then it should be restored to its canon state until real facts provide real cause for an update. That said, I'm too lazy to hunt for the specific comics where Parson's glasses or the Stupid Meal showed his own stats and those of Jack. I do think that the wikki entries for Parson and the 3d Glasses need some factual updates and corrections to rampant speculation (i.e.: "Since then, he has also considered croaking Stanley, though perhaps only as a thought experiment.", which is completely made up. He asked if he could hit Stanley with a thrown brick, as an example (thought experiment) when attempting to assay the efficacy of missile weapons used by units without bows. Interpreting this as Parson actually considering croaking Stanley is a complete fabrication and should be removed from the wikki page.]

Parson Gotti
Race: Earth human
Faction: Gobwin Knob
Class: Chief Warlord
Level: 2
Move: Unknown (Field Unit)
Special: Leadership, Heavy, Special,

Jack Snipe
Race: Men
Faction: Gobwin Knob
Class: Caster (Foolamancer)
Move: 8
Hits: 6
Combat: 2
Defense: 2

Assuming the above is accurate, and I've already touched on why it is highly suspect, then Parson's "special" should have nothing to do with his escape from croaking via portal. If portals croak those who do not have the class "caster", Parson does not have the class "caster", and having a "special" is no indication that this rule should be ignored.

Darkmantle wrote:For House you have an entirely different problem. Patient has symptoms A, B, C, D and ineviatably E, F and G appear later in the episode. Generally when they get to House himself the usual explanations for A,B,C have been tried but don't fit. The main problem is that there are a huge set of different conditions(lets call them v,x,y,z) that might cause A,B,C,D but they must be discarded when E appears, then they test their new hypothesis(generally by bullying patient or breaking into their home). When new explanation doesn't work they cast the net further afield.

So your standard House scene goes:[snipped for brevity]
Meh. I've seen too many episodes where the standard diagnosis fit the symptoms and the standard treatment was having the anticipated positive effect. And then House decides to keep the patient due to some 6th sense (I see zebras!) and finds zebras anyway. The show has jumped the shark, for me at least.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby Oberon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:42 pm

Lamech wrote:
Oberon wrote:I believe that Stanley knows the disbanding rules quite well.
Stanley thought Parson should have disbanded. So either Stanley doesn't understand disbanding all that well, Parson has some trick to avoid disbandment or both.
Um, no. I explained both why Parson escaped disbanding and why Stanley was flabbergasted that he hadn't disband. Neither involved either Stanley being ignorant of the disbanding rules, or Parson having "some trick" to avoid disbanding due to disobedience. You just chose to snip those portions of my post away and then ignore the position I represented via those portions. Shame, shame.
oslecamo2 wrote:
Oberon wrote:I'm not in either camp. I dislike the idea that Parson is a hippymancer, and there is enough "Special" about Parson that just about any exception to any rule can be reasonably theorized. But I can't say that there isn't ample evidence which would allow someone to reasonably arrive at the conclusion that Janice called it correctly and that the portal therefore acted correctly.

Hamster is "special". So far, this included:
-Nobody can see his stats besides his level. Why would the portal security system fare any better?
-Erfworld's built-in global censorship collapsed when Hamster got really pissed off.
-He can interpret orders in multiple ways.
You are assuming quite a lot here. Parson has the word "special" attached to his stats, as relayed via a Stupid Meal. That is a fact, and we have no reason to doubt the Stupid Meals as being a source of reliable canon. It is not a supportable fact that this "special" is the reason for any of the three bullet points you listed after citing that fact. You are free to speculate as to exactly what the "special" provides to Parson by way of exceptions to rules, etc. But this is you speculating, and is not canon.

- The causes behind the unseeable stats is unknown, and is not tied to the "special" the Stupid Meal shared with us by anything at all within canon. Also remember that Stanley shouted at Wanda "I can't even see his points!", and not "I can't see all of his points!" The only record of Parson's "points" that we have comes from the Stupid Meal. There is no evidence that anything at all about Parson is visible to anyone else. Parson can't see his stats (points) in a mirror. It's a shame that Parson never said that he can or can't see other unit's stats in a mirror, but this is a web comic and the amount of text is less than that of a novel as enforced by the format.

- The reason for the failure of the "boop" censure seems to be tied to the destruction of the Sword of Ruthlessness. Not to Parson being "really pissed off." Parson being Parson, I would expect that he would quickly figure out that "being pissed off" allowed him to break the rules. After that, we might reasonably expect to see a "really pissed off" Parson crowned king of all Erfworld. :lol:

- Here we agree. Parson can interpret orders in clever ways. He can, when told to not speak until ordered to, ask another unit other than Stanley to order him to speak. Any other Erf unit would probably be mute until Stanley rescinded that order. But I'm afraid that I don't see where this must be due to the "special" in his stats... It seems rather to be an innate capability which he has had his entire life, and has employed to make interesting gaming scenarios for himself and his friends, and lately to survive and prosper within the strange environs of Erfworld. In short, I do not see any tie between this aspect of Parson's personality and the "special" the Stupid Meal showed us.
ftl wrote:Remember the conversation between Maggie and Parson? When it turned out he'd never had sexual contact with the Archons, Maggie didn't think this was noble or high-minded of him; no, it was just weird.

If he ran a side like that, that's the reaction he'd get. "How strange." And that's it. You are mistakenly assuming that for some reason, the units in his side would he happier than the units in other sides. I think you're wrong about that; Erf units don't think like Earth people in many ways, *especially* ways relating to morality and authority. The logistics of planning a revolution or a disbandment strike are pointless when the units won't even *want* to get to where you think they want to get to.
I think that I unfortunately must agree. It is quite sad, but the Warlords in a "Don't abuse your position for sex" Side run by Parson would be rather naturally bummed out by this seemingly unnecessary restriction upon their privileges of rank.

Think about it:

On Earth, casual sex can cause pregnancy (including teen pregnancy, which is unknown on Erf since there are no teens, and otherwise possibly unwanted pregnancies) and STDs. Abusive sex can cause physical injury. Customs such as man/woman relations have real and biological support due to the reproductive aspects of sex, which has made homosexuality taboo in many cultures, and in some cultures any non-procreative sexual act (oral,etc) is similarly taboo.

On Erfworld, sex cannot cause pregnancy or STDs. There is no pregnancy. No teen pregnancy, no pregnancy which impedes a career, no pregnancy which is inconvenient, no child rearing, no rearing costs. Simply. No. Pregnancy. This cannot be overstated as a significant difference between the two worlds. The more extreme sexual behavior (i.e. The BDSM between Wanda and Jillian which included beatings and whippings which drew blood) is completely healed at dawn. Since there is no reproductive function for sex, homosexual and/or non-reproductive sex acts should be viewed in the same light as any other sex act: Just for fun.
(disclaimer: I have nothing at all against our human childbearing biology. I am simply capable of imagining the ramifications of a universe which has different rules/biology.)

With this as the status queue, it is pretty easily understandable that a Ruler who ordered against such behavior would have units of low loyalty, as these would, in this world, be considered to be the perks of the job.

That said, it appears that Stanley does not order Wanda to drop to her knees and pleasure him every turn. And we haven't actually seen such behavior at all, from any unit. It is only Maggie who remarked on Parson's abstinence which gives us any view into the typical prerogatives of leadership.
build6 wrote:well, if everyone in Erfworld thought like that then yeah there'd be no room for that. But I dunno, is Wrigley really representative? Maybe in their line up waiting to get executed plenty of Wrigley's comrades were thinking ("i didn't even want to be a stabber").
While I feel that this is a valid line of questioning, I also believe that the limitations of the format would prevent the author from presenting to we, the readers, the odd case or the unusual individual without also providing us with some indication that these persons were indeed unusual in their thoughts and values. If Wrigley or Bea were not typical in their thoughts and actions, then this should be represented to the reader in some fashion. As an example, we have such representation in spades with Jillian, as plenty of other cast members have called her behavior and actions into question.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby kreszantas » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:29 am

The solid running theory on the 'boop' involves the restriction put on Erfworld during book 1 for its run on giantitp. It is a known fact that Rich does not put any colorful language into his books and other website materials and it is strictly enforced on his website as a 'vulgarity free' webcomic. There have been many commments on this before and this was Parson's expression of breaking free of that restriction. Made for a good gag through out the book on why the erfworldians understood the 'concept' of the boop but not its meaning. - Do not take this for canon but a huge tinfoil hat therom :0
Huh? What was that sound, oh nevermind it was nothing.
User avatar
kreszantas
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby ftl » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:42 am

kreszantas wrote:The solid running theory on the 'boop' involves the restriction put on Erfworld during book 1 for its run on giantitp. It is a known fact that Rich does not put any colorful language into his books and other website materials and it is strictly enforced on his website as a 'vulgarity free' webcomic. There have been many commments on this before and this was Parson's expression of breaking free of that restriction. Made for a good gag through out the book on why the erfworldians understood the 'concept' of the boop but not its meaning. - Do not take this for canon but a huge tinfoil hat therom :0


Well, yeah, that's obviously the out-of-story reason for why the boop filter was there and why it was only broken at the end.

But it was worked in as part of the story - so there's also an in-story reason and mechanic for how and why it works the way it does.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests