Book 2 – Page 44

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby Smoker » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:51 am

fractal wrote:
Smittaugh wrote:That sword, my friend, is none other than Glamdring, the Foe-Hammer. Otherwise known as Gandalf's sword.

Interesting. Combined with the staff, does that mean that Parson is going to pretend to be a caster in battle gear? Seems unlikely that the Magic Kingdom would fall for it.

Not to kick the "is parson a caster" debate into life, but I've been wondering - as much as the MK dont like the fact he is (also?) a warlord, if the portals let him in, isn't he entitled to be there?

It looks like the MK was built by the titans (I certainly cant imagine a side building it, or even a group of barbarians) so if he satisfies the game mechanic, then they shouldn't block his way.

Plus, Casters are commanders anyway, and can lead stacks, so I feel they're drawing too fine a distinction.
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
Smoker

Postby paint » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:04 am

oohhh bad asssedness SQUEEEEEEEE
paint

Postby wykstrad » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:14 am

Nice! I wonder when Parson upgrades to the mirror shield? :D
wykstrad

Postby spriteless » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:15 am

Smoker wrote:
fractal wrote:
Smittaugh wrote:That sword, my friend, is none other than Glamdring, the Foe-Hammer. Otherwise known as Gandalf's sword.

Interesting. Combined with the staff, does that mean that Parson is going to pretend to be a caster in battle gear? Seems unlikely that the Magic Kingdom would fall for it.

Not to kick the "is parson a caster" debate into life, but I've been wondering - as much as the MK dont like the fact he is (also?) a warlord, if the portals let him in, isn't he entitled to be there?

It looks like the MK was built by the titans (I certainly cant imagine a side building it, or even a group of barbarians) so if he satisfies the game mechanic, then they shouldn't block his way.

Plus, Casters are commanders anyway, and can lead stacks, so I feel they're drawing too fine a distinction.

It is a cultural distinction to be sure. What do casters know about leadership? (to echo Ansom) Warlords only care about battles, not magic or physics. (to echo Sizemore) Indeed, the portals may be fooled because of his curiosity.
T'was a splendidly speedy defection.
spriteless

Postby Sihoiba » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:46 am

One thing it's not Wanda's staff, if you go ahead a couple of comics from the one linked to earlier in the thread, you'll see the remains of Wanda's staff shattered on the ground.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0134.html Second to last panel.
Sihoiba

Postby Rizban » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:06 am

I loved the Shredder armor, piece of heart, the Hylian shield and the power button clasp on his cloak. Very nice.
Rizban

Postby build6 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:18 am

hrm, Parson definitely looks "ready to kill"

(actually, what is that he's wearing on top of his head? I'd thought at first it was a hamster ("Lord Hamster" after all), but (1) hamsters aren't that large (2) don't know if hamsters exist in Erfworld, and (3) hamsters don't look that deadly).

won't Tramennis' thinkagram/parley with Parson mess up Parson's momentum? It'd be ironic if that's what stops Parson from killing everything in Jetstone...
build6

Postby Smittaugh » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 am

build6 wrote:It'd be ironic if that's what stops Parson from killing everything in Jetstone...

Sorry, but nice use of irony, there.
Smittaugh

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 am

Smittaugh wrote:
build6 wrote:It'd be ironic if that's what stops Parson from killing everything in Jetstone...

Sorry, but nice use of irony, there.

Why apologize for praising a pretty good instance of situational irony*? After all, Tremennis' overeagerness to contact Parson is known to be dangerous and assumed by everyone to be unwise at best, yet if it does in fact result in Jetstone being saved- situational irony, textbook case.

Oh wait, you were not praising it, were you? You were instead being merely verbally ironic. :geek:

==========

Anyway. Nice page! And you know, it's a good setup for a big event, but right now we have so many pages of buildup and rather few pages that show what's being built up to, so the overall reaction from me is "mmkay". I reserve enthusiasm for when Hamsterlord jumps through the Portal and in a spectacular display of cunning manages to save Wanda's group. Or spectacularly fails to do so.

==========

*Edit: if you need links about situational irony that are not wikipedia, google it and you may find stuff like this. It is a legitimate concept of literary theory (as far as I, not an expert in it, true, can tell).

To explain further, rain on your wedding day is not situationally ironic. A free ride for which you've already paid is arguably not such a thing either, but is most definitely a scam.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Crisis21 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:25 am

Wow. Parson is loaded for beaw.
Crisis21

Postby Morak » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:27 am

build6 wrote:(actually, what is that he's wearing on top of his head? I'd thought at first it was a hamster ("Lord Hamster" after all), but (1) hamsters aren't that large (2) don't know if hamsters exist in Erfworld, and (3) hamsters don't look that deadly).

It appears to be the same helm that he wore at the end of Book1. I believe Bogroll made it for him.
Morak

Postby davidbrawley » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:45 am

Crisis21 wrote:Wow. Parson is loaded for beaw.

I believe you mean Barr!

This is such an awesome comic. I think that is the armory of my dreams!
http://towerofthearchmage.blogspot.com Old School? New School? It's all cool on my blog!
davidbrawley

Postby oslecamo2 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:31 am

Ok, Tramenis must have some "double personality" flaw.

Because he just keeps changing from tactical genius to complete retard.

We should carefully analyze the current situation in order to make a decision that grants maximum benefit to our side from the current situation...

change

...Herp derp let's begin by parleying face to face with the warlord who killed both my brothers trough cunning tricks we culdn't see coming from a mile away herp derp!

Really, it is painfull to see Trams snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Jillian's CW was right, jetstone deserves to be wiped out bywhatever master plan Hamster pulls next.
oslecamo2

Postby technojunkie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:59 am

Hmm... I'm thinking that when Ace sees a fully accessorized perfect warlord materialize within the keep he might begin to question his loyalty.
technojunkie
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby KiltedNinja » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:01 am

Once more into the breach! Goan yersel hamsterboy!

Brilliant, lovely art - really nice colours and detail.

Interesting to see Tram acting the way he is infront of Slately, all "herp derp duurrrr" (as oslecamo2 mentioned) - I'm *really* hoping that this is just the way he acts infront of Slately in a "can I have a puppy mom? huh? huh? can I? mommm" kinda way, while really he's as sharp as a reaper's scythe.

I have the distinct impression that he 'plays' Slately in the same way that Wanda 'plays' Stanley. Although saying that, I really hope there isn't sex involved... Fabulous Multicoloured Midget Pr0n! (..and Rule 34 in 3... 2... 1...)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Marshalle Ney » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:03 am

Sword of Gandalf - Check.
Staff of Skeletor - Check.
Bracer of Shredder - Check.
Helm of Bogroll - Check.
Clasp of Power - Check.
Badass Cloak - Check

Famous Last Words - Check.

Badass One Liner - Missing in Action.

Oh and as to his eyes changing - Parson is, slowly but surely, becoming more and more like the other denizens of Erfworld. His eyes are becoming like them, in an almost dune-esque fashion - The more they shift towards pupiless flat color, the more he thinks and acts like an Erfworld denizen (Although one with the superpower of Genre Savviness that so far no one but Charlie seems to possess)

All in all, good update. Of course, now we need to see just how much Deus Ex Machina that Parson has equipped himself with. He has no fewer than five at least potentially magical items (Six if you believe Bogroll's helmet, by virtue of being in so close proximity to parson's Genius, that it has begun to attain levels of natural thinkamancy) and one guaranteed magical item (His Bracer of Mathamancy)

We have so far only seen warlords with as much as one magical item - The Blasting Bracer, the Arkenpliers, the Napsterphones....

But Five? Maybe six? This is the equivalent of Harry Dresden taking every one of his magical foci into a fight - Parson has offically attained status of a fully equipped modern battle tank (He is a heavy after all...) With all of the implied asskicking that suggests.

I cant WAIT to see what comes next!

Vive L'emperor Parson!
Marshalle Ney

Postby Trotsky » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:03 am

Glory of Arioch wrote:Poor Slately has to use a hook on a pole to retrieve his finery from the coat rack. I bet that isn't demeaning at all.

Edit: The clasp on Parson's cloak is a power button. It probably indicates the magical nature of the cloak.

And that is even with the platform boots he's wearing.
BLANDCorporatio wrote:
DoctorJest wrote:"Wolves are like dogs, but dogs are like dogs, so therefore: kittens".

DoctorJest, if I weren't referentially married to my sig I'd use that instead.
Trotsky

Postby Sieggy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:13 am

I think the guards at the MK end of the Portal would be VERY upset to see anyone in the kind of gear that Parson has on him coming through. I don't recall any instance of a caster bearing arms (Wanda had her Skeletor staff, but that's not a military style weapon) or wearing non-kinky armor (Wanda's was TRES CHAUD!!!). Unless Parson is establishing a new precedent in Erfworld, that of a multi-class Warlord/Caster. Once again, though, I can't recall any instances of multi-class at all . . .

Even if the simple fact that he survives the passage means he's by definition a caster, I can't see the MK authorities (whoever they are, they must be VERY powerful casters) allowing attacks to be made through the portals, as that would set a TERRIBLE precedent and call into doubt their neutrality. Not to mention exposing them to retaliation or pre-emptive strikes, or even reducing the tourist traffic (it is, after all, The Magic Kingdom . . .). I doubt if veiling is an option, as all it takes is one unit seeing through it to raise all kinds of hell.

In any event, Rob, get better. If you need to move, come to Florida - there's LOTS of very cheap housing available (oh, yeah . . .), it has the singular advantage of never snowing (don't bother bringing your winter wardrobe), and no state income taxes.
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby Magentawolf » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:16 am

I want to know what Parson is holding up in the fourth panel... instructions for using the staff, or what? o.o;
Magentawolf

Postby SteveMB » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:20 am

Magil wrote:He actually asked "What's the worst that could happen?"

Don't ask that question if you don't want to see the answer.... :shock:
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions