Book 2 – Page 45

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 45

Postby Dr Pepper » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:16 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:So we know it's the MK wormhole being used, and the tunnel is a nice touch- here's how Parson can cross the MK, unnoticed, while wearing enough to equip Monaco's army.

What I don't get is why he's swearing at the cape or whatever in the panel before last- what's going on there?

He tangled his foot in it and almost tripped. It's a slapstick counterpoint to the idea of him charging full tilt into Jetstone, and perhaps a foreshadowing of how he's going to take out Ace "Lord of War" Hardware.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby DevilDan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:22 pm

I had always thought he'd have Sizemore build walls rather than tunnels, but I guess we really haven't seen Sizemore do walls.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Dr Pepper » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:23 pm

badninja wrote:OK I did not want to believe that Parson was planning on short cutting through MK but that seems to be his plan. I do not know what to think of how this comic went yet because it hinges off things that we do not know like how Parson is going to actually get in the MK, I thought that they had the portal guarded and I do not think that the guards would be that dumb about the tunnel. This whole plan seems to hinge off some unknown factor that happened between book 1 and 2 that was not even eluded to yet.

<grammar nazi>Actually, "elude" means to avoid. It's "allude" that means to refer to.</grammar nazi>

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Dr Pepper

Postby DevilDan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:24 pm

About the cape: I don't think he tripped. I think he tried to sit on the desk, catching the cape tautly under his butt which prevents him from sitting comfortably. Surely, if the cape is underfoot he'd either resize it or ditch it considering that his plans include some flat-out running.

Dr Pepper wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:So we know it's the MK wormhole being used, and the tunnel is a nice touch- here's how Parson can cross the MK, unnoticed, while wearing enough to equip Monaco's army.

What I don't get is why he's swearing at the cape or whatever in the panel before last- what's going on there?

He tangled his foot in it and almost tripped. It's a slapstick counterpoint to the idea of him charging full tilt into Jetstone, and perhaps a foreshadowing of how he's going to take out Ace "Lord of War" Hardware.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Dr Pepper » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:26 pm

The Shadow wrote:What's the deal with Sizemore's Nehru jacket? The only things that come to mind pop-culture-wise are Dr. No and Dr. Evil (especially with the way he arches his brow in panel 9), but neither seems like a good fit.

Nehru jackets were very big among hippies in the 60s.

edit: spelling correction
Last edited by Dr Pepper on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Dr Pepper

Postby gameboy1234 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:33 pm

Dr Pepper wrote:
The Shadow wrote:What's the deal with Sizemore's Nehru jacket? The only things that come to mind pop-culture-wise are Dr. No and Dr. Evil (especially with the way he arches his brow in panel 9), but neither seems like a good fit.

Nehru jackets were very bif among hippies in the 60s.

Yeah, I think it's just the whole "Sizemore is a (dirt(y)?) hippie shtick. Looks good, could have been a bit more fancy, but then I'm just happy he can afford pants now.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Dr Pepper » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:37 pm

DevilDan wrote:About the cape: I don't think he tripped. I think he tried to sit on the desk, catching the cape tautly under his butt which prevents him from sitting comfortably. Surely, if the cape is underfoot he'd either resize it or ditch it considering that his plans include some flat-out running.

Dr Pepper wrote:

Yeah, that actually makes more sense. I've definitely got to study the images again.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Dr Pepper

Postby danhaas » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:44 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Speculations on the plan- it seems to involve dropping stuff on the archers and casters, that much we knew. "Raining troops" in the courtyard perhaps, as others have suggested? There must be more to it than that, it seems a bit unwise to send troops at 1/3 chance of fall-survival straight into a place where the enemy has a strong presence already.

2/3 chance of survival. http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Fall

And wanda will decrypt the dwagons that die, either from fall or combat.

If you consider that the fall itself will kill some enemies, which will be decrypted as well, and that dwagons are quite strong in melee combat, the Raining troops move sure beats just standing mid air.

Also, the enemy casters will be priority. We will certainly find out if casters can be decrypted and retain power.
danhaas

Postby sleepymancer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:12 pm

DevilDan wrote:I had always thought he'd have Sizemore build walls rather than tunnels, but I guess we really haven't seen Sizemore do walls.

Apart from the new Gobwin Knob...

Anyhow, in the infinite expanse of Erfworld puns and possibilities, do we reckon there could be some lookamancer-sheep-units out there? 'cos if there are they could at least have EweTube...

sorry :p
I tend to witter on, produce copious typos and run off on nonsensical tangents. If I've done this here, please forgive me :D
I also get a bit obstinate and argumentative. If I'm not budging or understanding your counterargument call me on my manners
sleepymancer

Postby fjolnir » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:20 pm

now the only question is "Do sizemore or parson meet the mysterious predictamancer on the run from gk to jetstone?"
fjolnir

Postby BCCroaker » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:27 pm

joosy wrote:I am curious about the Eyebook. Could Parson be about to do a little misinformation to Charlie? Or is he just checking his 'rulebook' on Combat in the Magic Kingdom? Hopefully we will find out soon.

Could just mean that the next text update is going to be from Parson's Eyebook.
As for the tunnel and upsetting the MK, this is a "real ugly idea", remember.
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby joosy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:32 pm

Still waiting for someone to post a link from Youtube of a big fat guy doing a fifty yard dash in armor underground.

Maybe an Erfworld fan contest to make one is in order..

all I have is John Candy dressed as a man/dog running through a corridor in outer space:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwV61t_Tec8
Last edited by joosy on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joosy

Postby fjolnir » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:54 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeXEmrovv-k
here's a video that meets PART of the requirements...
fjolnir

Postby mortissimus » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:14 pm

danhaas wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:Speculations on the plan- it seems to involve dropping stuff on the archers and casters, that much we knew. "Raining troops" in the courtyard perhaps, as others have suggested? There must be more to it than that, it seems a bit unwise to send troops at 1/3 chance of fall-survival straight into a place where the enemy has a strong presence already.

2/3 chance of survival. http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Fall

Only if the three possibilities has equal chance. Which - afaik - has never been stated.
mortissimus

Postby Ansan Gotti » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:36 pm

mortissimus wrote:Only if the three possibilities has equal chance. Which - afaik - has never been stated.

And I think we can infer the opposite, as I think Parson said something about how height did seem to make a bit of a difference.
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby effataigus » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Hmm... it does seem odd that portal guards would see Sizemore tunneling at their feet and not get curious where the tunnel goes. I hope Sizemore has the good sense to wander off into the forest and then tunnel beneath the two portals... then come back through the gate to pick up Parson and finally, after emerging, just connect the surface to the tunnel itself....

Unless... unless Sizemore could tunnel while running at full tilt. That would be rad :shock:

Also curious about the Erf-cape and the need for a eye-book.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Lamech » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:45 pm

Tram was doing so well with his unwittingly countering the GK plans. Then he ordered GK into attack position above the garrison. Well you win some, you lose some... and unsurprisingly Parson is attacking Spacerock directly.

You know if the pliers has a power like say... "autodecrypt" or "feather-fall" things could go very badly very quickly.
Lamech

Postby shadowdemon_lord » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:01 pm

Wow, SIzemore is going to have to sacrifice everything: his disdain for killing, his friends in the magic kingdom, all his socialization on what it means to be a caster, Jannis. He's about to lose everything he holds dear in one fell swoop, in service to possibly the most innovatory-ruthless warlord ever to grace the face of Erfworld. In this comic Sizemore looks like a pacifist who has found himself playing the role of colonel in General Sherman's army, as he marches to the sea.
shadowdemon_lord

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:07 pm

I don't think the Pliers have fetherfall. The Arkenhammer OTH very well might.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby fractal » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:44 pm

In Panel 11, I think Parson was starting to say something like, "Erfworld needs YouTube." when he was interrupted by sitting on his cape.
fractal
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions