Book 2 – Text Updates 034

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 034

Postby John Campbell » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:40 am

Transylvitan vamps don't seem to be undead in any technical sense, anyway, but I'd say it's close enough for memetic work.
John Campbell

Postby sleepymancer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:36 am

John Campbell wrote:Wait, Bennie's a Transylvitan vampire? That makes at least three webcomics that have Undead Benjamin Franklin in them...

Its the lightning, makes you go all Adamesque. Then, before you know it you're undead, trying to be helpful and, you know, liked. Next thing you're and railing against your creator. Well, if they expect you to act like a monster just because you look like one...

Incidentally, The amazing A Girl and Her Fed simply must be one of the other two you are talking about (although, perhaps not as he's not really undead there, just a cultural-perception-thing). What's the third?

All best,
Thom
I tend to witter on, produce copious typos and run off on nonsensical tangents. If I've done this here, please forgive me :D
I also get a bit obstinate and argumentative. If I'm not budging or understanding your counterargument call me on my manners
sleepymancer

Postby fjolnir » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:09 am

Dr McNinja had both a clone of Ben Franklin, a zombie Ben Franklin, AND a headless horseman Ben Franklin. Unfortunately there are no Ben Franklin's in the comic anymore
fjolnir

Postby joosy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:42 am

I don't think Benjamin is an original Transylvitian based on his skin tone. First time we see him up close and in color is:
Book 2 – Page 34 panel 5

I believe he may have been captured/turned or is a permanent hire. Or it could just be artistic license. or maybe he is a remnant of an embarressing experiment by the Transylvitian empire to create a genetically superior race based on Dr. Soong's formula... they don't like to talk about it.
joosy

Postby Yoonel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:54 pm

Bunny, when the battle starts, I want you to send that bat's view to everybody in here. Should be good.

Poor, poor Don. :twisted:
Yoonel

Postby Althernai » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:44 pm

joosy wrote:I don't think Benjamin is an original Transylvitian based on his skin tone. First time we see him up close and in color is:
Book 2 – Page 34 panel 5

Wow, you have good eyes. And yes, he doesn't look like he's from Transylvito.
Althernai
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Smoker » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:35 pm

the_tick_rules wrote:We're all assuming this poem was actually a spell and had an effect. How do we know it just wasn't just a poem? Could be it's considered natural rhyme-o-mancy and just words on a scroll.

To me it totally does not look like a spell. Just Ben blowing off steam in his own head.

Forumites (myself included) love to look for mechanics, but sometimes its just plot.
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
Smoker

Postby paint » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:49 pm

ftl wrote:
John Campbell wrote:Wait, Bennie's a Transylvitan vampire? That makes at least three webcomics that have Undead Benjamin Franklin in them...

Well, he's Transylvitian. It's unclear whether he's a vampire or not. He's been shown to have a different skin tone and eyes than the rest of the Transylvito vampires. So he might not be undead.

proply more likely hired caster ......
paint

Postby ftl » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:54 pm

paint wrote:proply more likely hired caster ......

Why do you think that's more likely?

He's been around for a while. When talking about the fight against Carpool, we had a Transylvitian warlord talk about Benjamin - he's not a temporary addition, he's around permanently. The sides we've seen using hired casters were only sides that had no casters of their own - FAQ, Charlie. So I don't think it's likely that Ben is just a hired caster.

Capture is possible. Both Jetstone and GK have captured casters from other sides.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby paint » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:18 am

ftl wrote:

He's been around for a while. When talking about the fight against Carpool, we had a Transylvitian warlord talk about Benjamin - he's not a temporary addition, he's around permanently. The sides we've seen using hired casters were only sides that had no casters of their own - FAQ, Charlie. So I don't think it's likely that Ben is just a hired caster.

Capture is possible. Both Jetstone and GK have captured casters from other sides.

just becuse he has been around doesn't mean he was popped there.
paint

Postby kagato23 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:35 am

paint wrote:
ftl wrote:

just becuse he has been around doesn't mean he was popped there.

I think he means that Bennie is part of the side. Either as a caster, or somebody who was contracted through the portal, but on a more permanent basis. However it went down, Ben isn't saying "Yeah, you guys are running low on cash, I"m breaking." I could see him as possbily being part of the coup, but he's sticking around for it. He's not native, but he's a Transyvitian when you look at his unit's allegiance.
Portal X Parson OTP!
kagato23
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:45 am

Maybe he was popped in a city they control that doesn't use the same Unit menu as the Capital? I mean flying Warlords? It's not exactly typical.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby effataigus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:25 pm

fjolnir wrote:Dr McNinja had both a clone of Ben Franklin, a zombie Ben Franklin, AND a headless horseman Ben Franklin. Unfortunately there are no Ben Franklin's in the comic anymore

Not a webcomic, but Scud: the Disposable Assassin also had "Voodoo Ben Franklin" -- who both created zombies with a key-kite and, in the course of the comic, was sent to, and returned from, hell.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby robak » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:55 pm

And in "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" by H.P.Lovecraft one of the Bad Guy Necromancers want to obtain the remains of B. F. to reanimate him. Quite likely old Ben as well.
robak

Postby the_tick_rules » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:04 pm

Or get Kabuto to use his thing to bring him back. If anyone hear is reading Naruto manga knows he's going zombie crazy.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby atalex » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Pulling a coup d'état in Erfworld is perilous to be sure. But Caesar has a secret weapon of sorts: his influence over Don King's trusty thinkamancer. Having an ally who can read and control minds must be an awesome advantage. Will the little Cesare Borgia-wannabe prove shrewd enough to exploit it, I wonder.

I know most everyone else just accepts that Bunny is Caesar's "secret weapon," but I've always been suspicious about Bunny. We have never heard her thoughts on the matter. To my recollection, we have never even been privy to a conversation between Caesar and Bunny. We have only heard Caesar's thoughts on how much he "luurrves" Bunny and how much of a relief it is to be able to tell her every damn thought in his head about how much he disagrees with their joint sovereign. I would not be the least bit surprised to learn that Bunny has always been completely loyal to Don Vito and that this love affair (which seems primarily long distance and via thinkagram) is just a means to spy on Don Vito's least trustworthy underling. I could be wrong, of course, but I think we'll soon see one way or another.

BTW, what would the repercussions be for the Magic Kingdom if two of the casters working for a side participated in a coup to overthrow that side's ruler?
atalex

Postby ftl » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:23 pm

atalex wrote:I know most everyone else just accepts that Bunny is Caesar's "secret weapon," but I've always been suspicious about Bunny. We have never heard her thoughts on the matter. To my recollection, we have never even been privy to a conversation between Caesar and Bunny. We have only heard Caesar's thoughts on how much he "luurrves" Bunny and how much of a relief it is to be able to tell her every damn thought in his head about how much he disagrees with their joint sovereign. I would not be the least bit surprised to learn that Bunny has always been completely loyal to Don Vito and that this love affair (which seems primarily long distance and via thinkagram) is just a means to spy on Don Vito's least trustworthy underling. I could be wrong, of course, but I think we'll soon see one way or another.

You're not alone! Caesar/Bunny was going on even when Don King was in control of everything, and when we had a text update from Don's point of view saying how transparent Caesar was.

BTW, what would the repercussions be for the Magic Kingdom if two of the casters working for a side participated in a coup to overthrow that side's ruler?

None, I think. Why would it have repercussions for the Magic Kingdom? It's not like the casters are taking orders from someone in the MK, they're just Transylvito units like all the warlords are.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Althernai » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:26 am

atalex wrote:We have only heard Caesar's thoughts on how much he "luurrves" Bunny and how much of a relief it is to be able to tell her every damn thought in his head about how much he disagrees with their joint sovereign. I would not be the least bit surprised to learn that Bunny has always been completely loyal to Don Vito and that this love affair (which seems primarily long distance and via thinkagram) is just a means to spy on Don Vito's least trustworthy underling.

I don't know about that. First, the affair appears to have been going on since before Don King went all Royalist on them and at that time, Caesar was completely loyal ("He used to have long talks with his Ruler, and count himself lucky to be working for a guy like that."). Second, Caesar does not trust Bunny with everything, particularly when it comes to Don King ("He was left with his own thoughts now. A little meaner and a little darker than what he was willing to share with his secret lover."). Both quotes are from Summer09 Update 47.
Althernai

Previous

Return to Reactions