Book 2 – Page 46

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby Dr Pepper » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:54 pm

A `convention'. Aha, that's ingame for `house rule'. Meaning it is not enforced by the game rules, it's just an agreement among the players.

Also: Oh snap! Tram said something campy again.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
User avatar
Dr Pepper
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:41 pm
Location: santa maria, ca

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby Dr Pepper » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Another possible ending for this scenario.

Parson is dangling Slately over his own balcony.

Parson: If i drop you, your Side ends and everyone dies. Swear allegience to Stanley and no one else will die.

A few minutes later.

Stanley: (munch munch) Did i miss something? I got this weird feeling like i get when i take a city.

Maggie: My lord, you have a vassal now.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
User avatar
Dr Pepper
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:41 pm
Location: santa maria, ca

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby Nihila » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:25 pm

Dr Pepper wrote:Another possible ending for this scenario.

Parson is dangling Slately over his own balcony.

Parson: If i drop you, your Side ends and everyone dies. Swear allegience to Stanley and no one else will die.

A few minutes later.

Stanley: (munch munch) Did i miss something? I got this weird feeling like i get when i take a city.

Maggie: My lord, you have a vassal now.
Or, Parson wearing a jetpack dangles Slately out over open air, and a similar conversation follows.
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:09 pm
Location: Probably totally lost.

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby ftl » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:38 pm

First thing that might go wrong for Parson: Ossomer. Ossomer doesn't look like he has the cleverness to stall Tramennis in a negotiation. Tram might be able to see that Ossomer is stalling within a few panels of conversation.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby kaylasdad99 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:40 pm

Hmmm. I hadn't thought about what the MK might do to compromise Parson's ability to use a portal-to-portal attack a second time. Under the circs, I think I'd like to see him succeed with something else v. Spacerock and save this maneuver for a different target of opportunity.

Does Charlescomm have a portal? Really, the next time Parson gets two minutes to think on his own, he's going to have to start viewing Charlie as being as much of a wild card as Charlie views him. Were I him, I'd really want to force a face-to-face with Charlie, and this seems like the best way of accomplishing that objective. Hence my question.

Does Charlie's side even pop casters? If it doesn't, is Charlescomm somehow unique in this respect? And if so, did Charlie somehow Kobayashi Maru that state of affairs into existence?
kaylasdad99
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby omgitsgene » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:41 pm

ftl wrote:First thing that might go wrong for Parson: Ossomer. Ossomer doesn't look like he has the cleverness to stall Tramennis in a negotiation. Tram might be able to see that Ossomer is stalling within a few panels of conversation.

Hopefully Ossomer can think well enough to just play dumb. I'm sure that Tramennis already thinks that way of his brother as it stands.
omgitsgene
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:55 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby Trost » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:57 pm

kaylasdad99 wrote:Hmmm. I hadn't thought about what the MK might do to compromise Parson's ability to use a portal-to-portal attack a second time. Under the circs, I think I'd like to see him succeed with something else v. Spacerock and save this maneuver for a different target of opportunity.

Does Charlescomm have a portal? Really, the next time Parson gets two minutes to think on his own, he's going to have to start viewing Charlie as being as much of a wild card as Charlie views him. Were I him, I'd really want to force a face-to-face with Charlie, and this seems like the best way of accomplishing that objective. Hence my question.

Does Charlie's side even pop casters? If it doesn't, is Charlescomm somehow unique in this respect? And if so, did Charlie somehow Kobayashi Maru that state of affairs into existence?


I think Charlie has an MK portal... he IS a thinkamancer, and has to contact and hire barbarian casters somehow.
All I have are my ideas.
User avatar
Trost
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby Whispri » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:07 pm

Hmm, what's Wanda doing ? I mean, she has to be the reason they need time, right?

As for the Magic Kingdom, I'd say 'Don't be the Kaiser', but... they aren't exatly being friendly. And what worse can they do? They need to pay upkeep same as everyone else.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 642
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby joosy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:08 pm

All I can think of with that rocket pack is The Rocketeer. Hopefully there is a helmet accessory that helps the user steer!
It IS a bit of foreshadowing combined with a not-so-subtle Chekhov's Gun scenario. My guess is that It is used to get Slately to safety so that the side survives. It was already pointed out that Jetstone has more than one capitol city site so that may come into play as a regrouping area for Jetstone.
joosy
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:30 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby snow1wolf » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:09 pm

Enough with talk about Parson being passive on the portal thing there ZERO danger to GK here through those portals for two important reasons. Normal units going through the portals croak. Casters are forbidden from doing what parson is doing. Only reason Parson is getting away with this and I MEAN just Parson is that he himself is a technicality. He seems to technically be a caster but he is not. The reasons he can enter the magic kingdom are really not all that clear.

Goblinob is officially going to make an enemy of the magic kingdom with this move no doubt. The magic kingdom was already sliding against them before and it has taken some time for them to relax some.

Also i bet ace is gonna end up turning sides here. Parson is the sort of person who can actually fully appreciate what ace can do and wants to do. Just waltzing in with all those accesories as it is. I think is somthing that might catch that casters eye.
snow1wolf
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:54 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby Trost » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:20 pm

snow1wolf wrote:Also i bet ace is gonna end up turning sides here. Parson is the sort of person who can actually fully appreciate what ace can do and wants to do. Just waltzing in with all those accesories as it is. I think is somthing that might catch that casters eye.


Ace on the GK side would be a HUGE advantage. Parson could make tremendous use of his abilities.

imagine a squad of Dwagon-back archers armed with blast bracers... or rocket launchers.
All I have are my ideas.
User avatar
Trost
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby Oberon » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:22 pm

ftl wrote:First thing that might go wrong for Parson: Ossomer. Ossomer doesn't look like he has the cleverness to stall Tramennis in a negotiation. Tram might be able to see that Ossomer is stalling within a few panels of conversation.
C'mon, Tram is having too much fun criticizing Ossomer's clothing and being snarky to worry about moving the conversation along. That has been a constantly reinforced mode of thought, repeated by everyone from Don to Slately to Charlie to Tram and more: Jetstone has all the time in the world to insult GK under the guise of a parley and then crush the GK expeditionary forces at their whim.

The "he hasn't a moment" from Slately seemed far more an impatient brush-off to Ace then an expression of time actually being of the essence. Note that "he hasn't a moment" was followed by "not for that", as if to say that whatever Ace has to offer is trivial at best.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby Zak3056 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:23 pm

ftl wrote:First thing that might go wrong for Parson: Ossomer. Ossomer doesn't look like he has the cleverness to stall Tramennis in a negotiation. Tram might be able to see that Ossomer is stalling within a few panels of conversation.

This actually works in GK's favor, I think--given the situation, they'd be expected to stall, and Tramennis will see this as a confirmation of his strength. Really, this appears to be a perfect storm... there are so many things combining here that are outside of "normal," that not even someone like Ansom with contingency plan, on top of contingency plan, on top of contingency plan would be able to plan for them.
Zak3056
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby Oberon » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:33 pm

snow1wolf wrote:Goblinob is officially going to make an enemy of the magic kingdom with this move no doubt. The magic kingdom was already sliding against them before and it has taken some time for them to relax some.
And yet even on this subject the MK is divided. There is some kind of limited trade embargo against GK, it is harder for them to buy scrolls. And yet Janice is actively supporting Parson taking GK in whatever direction he needs to take GK, for reasons she hasn't made completely clear yet. So while Parson's actions may have made some portions of the MK angry, other portions of the MK clearly support him. This is why it is unlikely that the MK will be a deciding factor through some kind of assault on GK: They don't seem to have a strong central authority who can dictate policy.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby Snowtitan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:08 pm

My reaction was "ohhh... Poor Ace, he's going to be so Frustrated when the crap hits the fan. his jet pack might have saved the day for them."


Trost wrote:
mortissimus wrote:Noticed that Parson has using the portals as one of several scenarios. Though I think he will do it, it would be something of a disappointment if they make a truce with Jetstone now :)

Would that make Parson "Thinking with portals?"

Also, if GK wins this and captures Ace...


Doubt the jet pack would work for Parson, he does count as a heavy after all..

and Yep MK is gonna be Seriously Pissed!.
Can unaligned casters leave the MK when they're not on a hire?
If they did take GK, who would own it?, or would it freeze to neutral (Taking the casters with it?)
Oh no.. not again.
User avatar
Snowtitan
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:39 am
Location: Land of Shaking Grounds

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby fjolnir » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:13 pm

GK is not undefended, just because we don't see NPC Soldier #235563 and all his friends, doesn't mean they aren't there, besides, if the MK attacked it would be HAMMERTIME :lol:
User avatar
fjolnir
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby ftl » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:37 pm

kaylasdad99 wrote:Does Charlie's side even pop casters? If it doesn't, is Charlescomm somehow unique in this respect?


http://www.erfworld.com/2009/10/summer- ... 80%93-046/ <-- that summer update has a lot of information on Charlie, from decrypted archons, which may be of interest to you.

Did Charlie have casters? None, as units of Charlescomm. He would frequently hire casters from the Magic Kingdom for specific work. He had an excellent reputation as an employer there.

Did Charlie pop anything but Archons? No.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby DevilDan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:39 pm

Should have taken the jetpack...
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
User avatar
DevilDan
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby DevilDan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:41 pm

fjolnir wrote:GK is not undefended, just because we don't see NPC Soldier #235563 and all his friends, doesn't mean they aren't there, besides, if the MK attacked it would be HAMMERTIME :lol:


A theoretical level 8, and there's at least a good number of archons along with whatever dwagons Stanley keeps finding and whatever the city keeps popping. Plus, it'd be hard to sneak up on them in just a turn, considering how much territory they hold.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
User avatar
DevilDan
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby Menlo Marseilles » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Parson's relationship with Sizemore is almost enough to bring me to tears. They're the most intellectually similar people in GK - thinking outside the box, thinking empathically. But when Parson gets into gamist mode, it's Sizemore's intimacies that suffer. He ordered him to kill, and keep killing. Now he's giving him orders that will probably get him banned from the Magic Kingdom for life. And the one person who keeps him going, keeps him loyal to the cause despite the stuff Parson has pulled... is going to be on the other side of that wall. Not to mention the Predictamancer that seems to be working with her, who might actually be able to shed some light on the situation.

This is the kind of crap that creates nemeses.
and in despair i bowed my head
"there is no peace on erf," i said
for fate is strong and mocks the song
of peace on erf, good will to men
User avatar
Menlo Marseilles
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 6:04 am

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Keighvin1, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests