Book 2 – Page 46

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby Evil Jedi » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:53 pm

I really liked the line from Sizemore that attacking through portals is against convention. I wonder if there's any time in Erfworld's history where a Side actually did that, and that led to the convention. Or maybe they've just never done it. Sometimes it seems like Parson has ideas that the people of this world could never possibly imagine. Probably because they are popped into this world with rules ingrained in them that they don't need to "learn". So they never question them.

As far as repercussions from the MK; I don't think they would attack GK through their portal, but they might destroy the portals and cut people off just because of this "horrible" act. I don't think that the casters in the MK could attack even if they wanted to. Because if they entered Erfworld without being attached to a Side, wouldn't they immediately need to worry about paying their own upkeep? And if they can't do that, wouldn't they disband?
A lifelong member of PA, Procrastinators Anonymous. "Hello, my name is ____ and I'm a Procrastinator."
Evil Jedi
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Avens » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:57 pm

What. The. Boop. Why would you not take the jetpack??
I'm sorry, I have nothing insightful to add. I'm a little upset with Jetstone, and I look forward to having Ace on our side (if he doesn't go out in a blaze of firepower, which would be a loss for everyone).
Avens

Postby Altima » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:59 pm

snow1wolf wrote:Goblinob is officially going to make an enemy of the magic kingdom with this move no doubt. The magic kingdom was already sliding against them before and it has taken some time for them to relax some.

One could argue that the MK has already chosen sides. After all, they're being more hostile to Sizemore (and likely Wanda and/or Maggie if they ever went), they're refusing services (selling scrolls, I'm sure Parson would have loved to stick a Shockamancer in Wanda's doom stack, etc.), and, to top it off, Queen Bea's casters, who left her service when she sent them through the portal and became residents of the Magic Kingdom, swore to never hire out to Stanley as well as deciding to oppose GK whenever possible.
Altima

Postby badninja » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:34 am

Nice, Parson is willing to screw the rules because the rules don't say jack squat. I feel that that jet pack is a red herring, it is too convenient and will probably not mean much by the end, however this is pure wild guessing on my part. I feel that the dollmancer will play a part in the coming battle and I hope he will switch sides. Plus it is nice to see what he had made earlier in an update.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Azukar » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:16 am

I want my jetpack :(

Also, Trammenis is far Awesome-r than Ossomer, or Ansom. He's almost as much of a smart-arse as me!
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby valce » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:56 am

Just wanted to say -- I really like the expression on Tram's face when he tells Ace "after the parley". It perfectly conveys a 'Sorry about that, guy' feeling, which seems to fit Tram very well. Nicely done!
valce

Postby JesusCraig » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:57 am

I don't think that the backlash from the Magic Kingdom is the real flaw with this plan. I think that this is Parson's worst plan to date.

Parson doesn't even know his own move limit, if he goes through the Magic Kingdom portal, ends up in Jetstone, and turns out he has a move of let's say, 1, he'll have to waste dozens, if not hundreds of moves getting home, vulnerable the entire time, since Heavies can't have mounts. Even if his movement is large, he'll be vulnerable upon his whole trip back home, since he can't likely go back through the MK portal.

Seems like a great opportunity for Charlie to intercept and wipe him out. Even if not, this is going to be a large usage of turns on Goblin Knobs part when they have to provide an armored transport back.
JesusCraig

Postby the_tick_rules » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:08 am

I hope Parson is badarse, or he's gonna be lit up.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Rizban » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:16 am

On first glance, it looked like Slately was facepalming in the last panel. On closer inspection, he was merely stroking his beard...
Rizban

Postby coyo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:43 am

Rizban wrote:On first glance, it looked like Slately was facepalming in the last panel. On closer inspection, he was merely stroking his beard...

I got that, too.

I like the update. It's interesting how Parson is asking rather than ordering, and trying to convince Sizemore that he can do this. I am worried about a retaliation, but I think it is going to take the form of SIzemore no longer being welcome in the Magic Kingdom.

I am sort of hoping that there will be a second parley, and this one a face to face with Parson and Tram.

I am also wondering what things Parson could do with a Dittomancer. I'm thinking spell linking of more than 3 casters. Or imagine a dittomancer with a moneymancer.
coyo
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Trost » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:45 am

JesusCraig wrote:Seems like a great opportunity for Charlie to intercept and wipe him out. Even if not, this is going to be a large usage of turns on Goblin Knobs part when they have to provide an armored transport back.

Except Charlie WANTS to have Parson on his side. If Parson was on Charlie's side, he'd go from being a valuable mercenary force to the UNCONTESTED BEST elite force in Erfworld.

In fact, Charlie's entire side could charge whatever they wanted, and whoever paid the cost would win whatever conflict! Charlescomm would be the gamebreaker.
All I have are my ideas.
Trost

Postby zilfallon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:13 am

GK is not undefended, just because we don't see NPC Soldier #235563 and all his friends, doesn't mean they aren't there, besides, if the MK attacked it would be HAMMERTIME :lol:

exactly. all casters in mk need to attack gk at the same time to have a chance. Let's not underestiminate Stanley. just because he's a poor leader it doesn't mean he's weak.

Nice, Parson is willing to screw the rules because the rules don't say jack squat. I feel that that jet pack is a red herring, it is too convenient and will probably not mean much by the end, however this is pure wild guessing on my part. I feel that the dollmancer will play a part in the coming battle and I hope he will switch sides. Plus it is nice to see what he had made earlier in an update.

i don't think Ace will play a part in the battle. I think this was foreshadowing that Ace won't be able to do anything. Also, this tells us that either Tramennis or Slately(more likely slately) will croak because of a fall. And Ace will be turned to GK... And damn, dwagon-riding rocket-launching archers? :D
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby warriortribble » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:17 am

JesusCraig wrote:Parson doesn't even know his own move limit, if he goes through the Magic Kingdom portal, ends up in Jetstone, and turns out he has a move of let's say, 1, he'll have to waste dozens, if not hundreds of moves getting home, vulnerable the entire time, since Heavies can't have mounts. Even if his movement is large, he'll be vulnerable upon his whole trip back home, since he can't likely go back through the MK portal.

Seems like a great opportunity for Charlie to intercept and wipe him out. Even if not, this is going to be a large usage of turns on Goblin Knobs part when they have to provide an armored transport back.
Charlie did attempt to capture him using a net and several Archons, so we know he could be carried by many units if necessary. Course this means should Parson go to Jetstone, Charlie will be in a perfect position to capture and turn him.
warriortribble
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:27 am

zilfallon wrote:exactly. all casters in mk need to attack gk at the same time to have a chance. Let's not underestiminate Stanley. just because he's a poor leader it doesn't mean he's weak.

I'm sure there's some way a trimancer could take down GK, so they would only need 4 casters: a trimancer plus someone to protect them for a short time - perhaps a foolamancer?

By the way, is it possible that GK's portal room is shockamancied up? Though I imagine this conversation about it being against the rules to invade via the portal would have come up before if Parson had ordered that shockamancy set up.
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Jallorn » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:08 am

Chit Rule Railroad wrote:
zilfallon wrote:exactly. all casters in mk need to attack gk at the same time to have a chance. Let's not underestiminate Stanley. just because he's a poor leader it doesn't mean he's weak.

I'm sure there's some way a trimancer could take down GK, so they would only need 4 casters: a trimancer plus someone to protect them for a short time - perhaps a foolamancer?

By the way, is it possible that GK's portal room is shockamancied up? Though I imagine this conversation about it being against the rules to invade via the portal would have come up before if Parson had ordered that shockamancy set up.

It could have been brought up with Maggie. Parson's question can be read as if he knows the answer, and he does state "yeah," instead of asking.

Also, I had an idea. Which I can't remember. But there was also another, so I'll go with that. What if Charlie does manage to capture Parson, then reveals that he's actually the good guy, the only way Erfworld will have peace, or some such. What then follows is Parson fighting against the side he turned into the strongest side in Erfworld.
Jallorn

Postby Whispri » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:47 am

JesusCraig wrote:I don't think that the backlash from the Magic Kingdom is the real flaw with this plan. I think that this is Parson's worst plan to date.

Parson doesn't even know his own move limit, if he goes through the Magic Kingdom portal, ends up in Jetstone, and turns out he has a move of let's say, 1, he'll have to waste dozens, if not hundreds of moves getting home, vulnerable the entire time, since Heavies can't have mounts. Even if his movement is large, he'll be vulnerable upon his whole trip back home, since he can't likely go back through the MK portal.

Why not a chariot relay then? Even if not, he'll have an army with him, he's the Chief Warlord after all. He can't stay home forever with that job.
Last edited by Whispri on Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whispri

Postby Raza » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:57 am

I like Trammenis's priorities, but aside from that I don't know what he's thinking. Ossomer does way better in red and black than Ansom; color coordination, girl!
Raza

Postby Grug » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:39 am

Whispri wrote:
JesusCraig wrote:I don't think that the backlash from the Magic Kingdom is the real flaw with this plan. I think that this is Parson's worst plan to date.

Why not a chariot relay then? Even if not, he'll have an army with him, he's the Chief Warlord after all. He can't stay home forever with that job.

He might not be able to use mounts to get home if they close the portal - but perhaps he can use a jetpack? =)
Grug

Postby Whispri » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:56 am

Grug wrote:
Whispri wrote:

He might not be able to use mounts to get home if they close the portal - but perhaps he can use a jetpack? =)

Another thought: If they can build a portal leading from Gobwin Knob to the Magic Kingdom, why can't they build one leading from Space Rock to Gobwin Knob?
Whispri

Postby Menlo Marseilles » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:05 am

Remember, though, this was never a decision based in making the "most optimum play"; if he was worrying about that first and foremost, it'd be plain dumb and stupid to walk into Jetstone even if it didn't mean breaking a universal treaty or risking interception on the way back. He's doing this to assuage his conscience on the matter of "sending men to die", by explicitly putting himself in danger too. The fact that it's a bad move gamewise doesn't mean he hasn't precisely achieved his objective by making that bad move.

Of course, the question of whether it's "worth it" is another matter entirely.
and in despair i bowed my head
"there is no peace on erf," i said
for fate is strong and mocks the song
of peace on erf, good will to men
Menlo Marseilles

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions