Book 2 – Page 49

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby gameboy1234 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:08 pm

Belial666 wrote:Question:

Couldn't Parson add a second rider to Jack's and Wanda's dwagons - and that rider be a hobgowin? We've already seen multiple riders, and he could promote the hobgobwins to heavies and have his casters sink down without falling.


I think so. I think it was just an oversight by Rob that it happened this way. I guess in-story it can be an oversight of Parson's too. Later Parson can kick himself for missing it, but it seems like it should have been a lot safer to mount Wanda and Jack with a hobgobwin and then just heavy the hobgobwin.

I do like the colors on this one. The first panel especially, the Archons remind me of Tozo.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

Avatar hoarked from PS238.
User avatar
gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 10:04 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby Ace » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:13 pm

joosy wrote:Sweet. Its nice when a plan falls into place. Now for a little Luck(mancy) and we are back in business!

I hope GK doesn't lose the archons; they are stuck in the airspace. Parson could just order them and Ossmer to the airspace over the Outer Walls, out of reach of the tower defenses and archers. (assuming the tower defenses can't reach - we already know the archers would have to be redeployed to the Outer walls to reach them there). Of course, they may need to be dusted so that Jetstone can get enough Schmuckers from Charlie (assuming he is giving them actual Schmuckers and not just 'store credit') and Slately can make his last dying order to name Trammennis heir, as Trammennis blasts off with Ace's Jetpack.

Or the Unipegatuars in the tower carry Slately, Trammennis, and the casters away and they are able to escape the archons in the airspace.

sad that we have to wait another week, but its been over four months of buildup for this climax. I can wait a little longer.

Also.. Stanley is just going to complain even if they win. Most of his dwagons now answer to Wanda, lots of schmuckers were spent on upgrading Parson and the hobgobwins, and he lost a few cities to Faq. At least he won't be bitching about the missing gobwins.

I think Slately is dead, from a narrative point of view and otherwise. Plus, while the jetpack is special, I doubt the Unipegatruars are... and with enemies all around, especially one with a turn after you, I doubt escape is a feasible option for a group.
Ace
 

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby Infidel » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:14 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:I think so. I think it was just an oversight by Rob that it happened this way. I guess in-story it can be an oversight of Parson's too. Later Parson can kick himself for missing it,


I'm with this. people keep fogetting that this is not an ultimate strategy he came up with and gamed several times. This is a quick and dirty plan he scavenged out of his brain when the original plan went out the window.

Oversights are to be expected. I've lost track of how many RPG games I played, that I lost a fight, but could have won if I remembered to use potion x, or scroll y. Or even use special-move-I-never-use.

Of course there is another quote that applies to all well laid plans. "No plan survives contact with the enemy."
Last edited by Infidel on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
User avatar
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby wonmean » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:15 pm

joosy wrote:I like to think that the next text update will be the inner thought process of a sinking dwagon -much like that of the conjured whale as it plummeted to Magrathea in HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Of course it could be "Banana"'s thoughts. If so they would be short and sweet much like the conjured potted flower alongside the conjured whale in Hitchhiker's.

"Not again!"

Haha, I would love that!
wonmean
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Infidel wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:Woot! Time for a new avatar!


Heh, I was thinking it was probably her best quote ever.

HHEP - I had to look it up since Rob likes to slip interesting stuff in there.

Health Hazard Evaluation Program. Coincidence or deliberate?

An update the day before I go back out. Nice. Thank you providence. If I'm really lucky, there will be another update the day I return.


Best quote or not, I just can't leave that well enough alone :P So the text in my av is a little different. EDIT: ah, I see some adjustments are needed to the balloon. Back in a jiffy.

Infidel wrote:Never devolve the world into one of two options. There are always more options.

As a storyteller. I can see some value in making Wanda and Jack both incapacitated for a number of rounds, or whatever the erf equivalent is. It would certainly heighten the tension.

And there are always a chunk of the fanbase that blames plot armor, deux ex machina, or bad storytelling for whatever plot device they just don't like for whatever reason. I think it comes from a strict black/white outlook. Where storytellers tend to think in shades of grey, and full spectrum color.


It's an interesting post, but I'd disagree on a strict B/W outlook being the only reason why something or other may be seen as bad by some people. Sometimes, bad is bad, and it's obvious. Now, this is Erfworld and obviously bad things didn't happen. Debatably (and how!) bad things have, and they do occasionaly provide war-fodder on the boards. The arguments for and against do show some nuance, even if they cannot sustain, with new content, 400+ posts. So there's some repetition.

wonmean wrote:
joosy wrote:I like to think that the next text update will be the inner thought process of a sinking dwagon -much like that of the conjured whale as it plummeted to Magrathea in HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Of course it could be "Banana"'s thoughts. If so they would be short and sweet much like the conjured potted flower alongside the conjured whale in Hitchhiker's.

"Not again!"

Haha, I would love that!


I'd like it too, and my tinfoil hat self would like it even more if, now that Banana has a name, it has become unharvestable.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
User avatar
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby Ansan Gotti » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Some unanswered questions:

1) Why didn't Antium know that yellow dwagon cwap qualifies as siege that can destroy the roof?

2) Can you double-mount with a heavy?

3) Are the slow falling hobgobwins more likely to survive than the free fallers?

4) Why didn't the hobgobwins remount onto better dwagons since some of their dwagons will remain alive?

5) Can Wanda decrypt multiple times during a turn (I know she was walking around at the end of Book 1 but that might have been artistic license) and if so how many times?

6) What's going to happen with the riderless dwagons and archons?

7) Where is the portal room in Jetstone?

8) What's in Jetstone's dungeon?

9) Can siege attacks from reds and purples cross the garrison subzone borders to destroy the tower?
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:45 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby grass monkey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:22 pm

joosy wrote:I was kind of half hoping that Wanda would find out that the Arkenpliers would let her fly like the Arkenhammer but alas. Even if that was the case, she would have had to let go and submit to natural shockmancy to transition to the ground anyway.

Edit: Or it may be a special power of the Arkenpliers that the attuned one is partially shielded from injuries like this.


I was thinking along the same lines...except that the Arkenpliers might automatically decrypt Wanda, the one who is attuned to them, when she dies on the ground. Notice how she is holding them over her chest. A decrypted Croakamancer would be epic...and Wanda is way hotter than any DnD lich I've seen!
Last edited by grass monkey on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grass monkey
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby Ansan Gotti » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:25 pm

grass monkey wrote:I was thinking along the same lines...except that the Arkenpliers might automatically decrypt Wanda, the one who is attuned to them, when she dies on the ground. Notice how she is holding them over her chest. A decrypted Croakamancer would be epic...and Wanda is way hotter than any DnD lich I've ever seen!


I think that really NEEDS to happen at some point... although perhaps now is too soon.
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:45 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby Marller » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:26 pm

I really hope Jetstone steals the Arkenpliers while Wanda is out. That would be the sensible thing to do.
Marller
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:28 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby President_Allosaurus » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Dr Quest DFA wrote:Awesome art in the update. I would say the frame with all the dwagons over the atrium might be one of the best frames to date in Erf Wrold (jamie's stuff included)

i wonder what Trem is going to do now that most of the Dwagons will be out of the tower defense range and safe from most of the archers. If I were him I'd fry what's left in the sky and quickly deploy all the remaining ground troops into the atrium while GK is still getting organized. I think parley is out of the question at this point.

Also, can anyone well if Ossomer is also harvesting his mount?

Can't wait for the next update!


Ossomer is on a magic carpet. I'm sure he could use more fiber in his diet but that's not the way to go about it.

Agree 100% with the art loving.
User avatar
President_Allosaurus
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby Infidel » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:27 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Best quote or not, I just can't leave that well enough alone :P So the text in my av is a little different. EDIT: ah, I see some adjustments are needed to the balloon. Back in a jiffy.


hehe, very funny. Good one.

It's an interesting post, but I'd disagree on a strict B/W outlook being the only reason why something or other may be seen as bad by some people. Sometimes, bad is bad, and it's obvious. Now, this is Erfworld and obviously bad things didn't happen. Debatably (and how!) bad things have, and they do occasionaly provide war-fodder on the boards. The arguments for and against do show some nuance, even if they cannot sustain, with new content, 400+ posts. So there's some repetition.


not implying it is the only reason. I'm just saying a strict black/white outlook creates dead ends where there need not be. I don't think there is a single time in my life that I've heard a sentence with the words, "there are only two options/possibilities/answers/etc.." and had it be correct.

It's like a coin toss. There are not only two results, heads or tails. I've had a coin land on the side at least 5 times in my life.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
User avatar
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:29 pm

Infidel wrote:hehe, very funny. Good one.


Thanks. It's not my joke, but it seemed appropriate.

Infidel wrote:not implying it is the only reason. I'm just saying a strict black/white outlook creates dead ends where there need not be. I don't think there is a single time in my life that I've heard a sentence with the words, "there are only two options/possibilities/answers/etc.." and had it be correct.


Outside of mathematics :P
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
User avatar
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby Ansan Gotti » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:30 pm

President_Allosaurus wrote:Ossomer is on a magic carpet. I'm sure he could use more fiber in his diet but that's not the way to go about it.


All he has to do is jump off. I bet that would be an interesting end to the parley with Tram. "Excuse me brother, but... AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!"

Agree 100% with the art loving.


Totally agreed!
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:45 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby joosy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:38 pm

Ansan Gotti wrote:Some unanswered questions:

1) Why didn't Antium know that yellow dwagon cwap qualifies as siege that can destroy the roof?

2) Can you double-mount with a heavy?

3) Are the slow falling hobgobwins more likely to survive than the free fallers?

4) Why didn't the hobgobwins remount onto better dwagons since some of their dwagons will remain alive?

5) Can Wanda decrypt multiple times during a turn (I know she was walking around at the end of Book 1 but that might have been artistic license) and if so how many times?

6) What's going to happen with the riderless dwagons and archons?

7) Where is the portal room in Jetstone?

8) What's in Jetstone's dungeon?

9) Can siege attacks from reds and purples cross the garrison subzone borders to destroy the tower?


1) I'm sure he did - he just didn't care as what is the advantage besides being petty to do so? Putting all of the ground units in the atrium was meant to protect them from the falling dwagon corpses that would be falling outside for later trophies and wall decorations.

2) see 3) .

3) i would say no otherwise Parson would have sacrificed a few dwagons and double mounted. Or it was an oversight by Rob but since this is his world (we are just spectators) he will be sure to retconn it in his favor.

4) No time and/or it doesn't really matter

5) Apparently there is no limit to the amount of units she can 'decrypt' with the Arkenpliers. Croakamancy appears to be allowed to be done off-turn as long as you have a viable corpse in the same hex.

6) I don't know if there are any riderless dwagons but if there are then they are stuck in the airspace. Same for the Archons. Either they will move off to the Airspace over the Outer Walls or be taken down by Jetstone's archers and tower defenses.

7) Somewhere over the rainbow if Tramennis has any say.

8) Handses! Knife! String! or .. nothing!

9) I believe so since the city zone of the garrison has 3 subzones and Parson has to be able to cross those zones to meet up with his units. Ergo, unless Parson is mistaken, units can cross garrison subzones off-turn.
joosy
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:30 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby joosy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Ansan Gotti wrote:
President_Allosaurus wrote:Ossomer is on a magic carpet. I'm sure he could use more fiber in his diet but that's not the way to go about it.


All he has to do is jump off. I bet that would be an interesting end to the parley with Tram. "Excuse me brother, but... AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!"


Of course that could leave the carpet in reach of Trammenis who could reclaim it for Jetstone and give them one more thing to try to make an escape on.
joosy
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:30 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby Dr Quest DFA » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:43 pm

President_Allosaurus wrote:
Dr Quest DFA wrote:Awesome art in the update. I would say the frame with all the dwagons over the atrium might be one of the best frames to date in Erf Wrold (jamie's stuff included)

i wonder what Trem is going to do now that most of the Dwagons will be out of the tower defense range and safe from most of the archers. If I were him I'd fry what's left in the sky and quickly deploy all the remaining ground troops into the atrium while GK is still getting organized. I think parley is out of the question at this point.

Also, can anyone well if Ossomer is also harvesting his mount?

Can't wait for the next update!


Ossomer is on a magic carpet. I'm sure he could use more fiber in his diet but that's not the way to go about it.

Agree 100% with the art loving.



Ah, I missed that since most of the recent strips with Ossomer were from the waist up (much to the chagrin of the lady erfworld fans out there I am sure O:-) )

That should also make for an interesting discussion between the Borthers Jetstone.
Dr Quest DFA
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby wonmean » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:48 pm

Does Ossomer have any orders?

Or is he out of the whole "food fight" loop?
wonmean
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby peteratjet » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:51 pm

Random thoughts ...

I bet Wanda wishes she had a Featherfall scroll , if there is such a thing in Erfworld .

Can you send scrolls via a Magic Hat?
peteratjet
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby President_Allosaurus » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Image

Sorry, CelebrenIthil!
User avatar
President_Allosaurus
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:57 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:I'd like it too, and my tinfoil hat self would like it even more if, now that Banana has a name, it has become unharvestable.


Having a name didn't save a fish called Wanda from being harvested by Jillian... sorry... let's just hope banana was ridden by a hobgobwin
3 Naughtymancers of different disciplines walk into a bar... wait, forget what I just said. A shockmancer and a croakamancer walk into a bar.
User avatar
╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:54 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 12 guests