Book 2 – Page 49

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 49

Postby effataigus » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Well, that does make a lot of sense, but....

...but we've already seen the predictamancer once... and we have reason to believe from said other thread that this character took some discussion to decide upon a "look."

BWAHAHAHAH... post #500! Some guy holding a giant posterboard check just landed in my front yard in a helicopter with a ribbon tied around it ... brb.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Ansan Gotti » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:55 pm

Hey man, he got a whole funky new hairstyle and threads after FAQ fell. :)
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:02 pm

The new character is clearly going to be the daemon in Ceaser's head.
Lamech

Postby Sieggy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:17 pm

Nope, it'll be Hamstard, the 4th-wall-breaking transdimensional avatar of Snark . . . to foil the foil that will be Tramennis!
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby Rogerborg » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:23 pm

And the reason the non-heavy riders couldn't just dismount and fall to the ground? We've established that the fatality rate is the same either way, so why harvest the mounts, when they could have left them in the air to provide more targets? Ooh, riders can't dismount in mid air? Well, considering that harvesting was just pulled out of the Midichlorian Ideas Pool, then mid-air off-turn dismounts could have been posited just as easily.

And that is why you shouldn't try to write a character who's smarter than you.
Rogerborg

Postby Ansan Gotti » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:24 pm

We've gone over this numerous times, actually. Harvesting the mounts is superior because it gets the dwagon corpses on the ground quickly so Wanda can decrypt them all. Otherwise they're stranded in the airspace.

Rogerborg wrote:And that is why you shouldn't try to write a character who's smarter than you.

Sure about that? ;)
Ansan Gotti

Postby joosy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:02 pm

We know, thanks to Jack Snipe, that Foolamancy means constantly seeing everything as it is as well as how others perceive it.

I wonder if Predictamancy is seeing the future as well as the present. If the future is immutable then maybe that's just a little offputting. But if our decisions affect the future then that may make one a little batty.

I also wonder if other casters from Faq survived and if we will meet them.

So far we know that FAQ's strategy to remain a bubble kingdom relied heavily on Jack and on the Predictamancer. I wonder if Wanda's talents were put into use to help reduce the costs of the bubble kingdom. If she had to croak and then uncroak Faq units in order to save upkeep I bet that would probably make her into the jaded person she is today. Or perhaps there are other applications of Croakamancy (like Dollamancy) that we have yet to see. It is also possible that she was considered a 'useless' caster and her talents not put to good use. I doubt the last one as she was a 'master class' Croakamancer and I don't think she levelled all the way to there under Stanley/King Saline IV. She had to be practicing her arts in some way.
joosy

Postby effataigus » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:49 pm

Hrm... I'm thinking perhaps a findamancer or a lookamancer.

We know a couple of things about the summon perfect warlord spell... it was findamancy/lookamancy and it was fate magic (all from Wanda). This suggests to me that this was a 3 caster link between a findamancer, a lookamancer, and a thinkamancer (fate axis).

I've got some wild tin-foil hat magic to go along with this, but I'll save it for the off-chance that I'm right.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby huskeonkel » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering about something. I didn't bother reading through all 26 pages, so excuse me if this has already been asked.

Why let Wanda frag her own dwagon instead of letting her sink to the ground along with the heavies? Why take the chance on her surviving the fall, just to harvest one more dwagon? She's apparently crucial to the plan, so why not be safe?
huskeonkel

Postby Ansan Gotti » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:46 pm

huskeonkel wrote:Why let Wanda frag her own dwagon instead of letting her sink to the ground along with the heavies? Why take the chance on her surviving the fall, just to harvest one more dwagon? She's apparently crucial to the plan, so why not be safe?

Our understanding is that Wanda and other human-like units can't be upgraded to heavy.

I am going to add another hypothesis, and that is you can't double-mount with a heavy.
Ansan Gotti

Postby huskeonkel » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:52 pm

Ansan Gotti wrote:Our understanding is that Wanda and other human-like units can't be upgraded to heavy.

I am going to add another hypothesis, and that is you can't double-mount with a heavy.

Are only heavies able to sink to the ground?

I'm not sure what 'double-mount' means. Can you clarify that please?
huskeonkel

Postby Ansan Gotti » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:57 pm

huskeonkel wrote:Are only heavies able to sink to the ground?

I'm not sure what 'double-mount' means. Can you clarify that please?

Yes, we're pretty sure now that you can't voluntarily turn off your flying ability off-turn, so you need some other way (an exploit) to get to ground off-turn. Upgrading a unit to heavy is one way, the dwagon can't support that weight and both sink to the ground (although we're still not sure if the units take damage or not). I'll refer to this situation as an "overloaded mount." Harvesting is apparently the other way of getting to the ground. Or just jumping off your mount, although that would leave the mount stuck in airspace.

Double-mounting refers to other places in the comics where we've seen two people riding one mount. So some have asked why not have the hobgobwins double-mount with Wanda, or Jack, etc., and then upgrade the hobgobwin to heavy. My hypothesis is that that won't work. Other alternatives are that it wouldn't help (everyone takes the same falling damage) or that Parson made a mistake in planning or Wanda made a mistake in execution.
Ansan Gotti

Postby huskeonkel » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:59 pm

OK that makes sense :) Very good answers.

Thanks for your input.
huskeonkel

Postby peteratjet » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:12 am

Here's a new thought, technically a response to several pages back.

Over the course of his' thinkcall with Charlie, Tramennis' went through some pretty weird transformations. In fact, I'm going to say "far out" and possibly "groovy man", but definitely "psychedelic". Is this what Hippiemancy in action looks like? If so, what does it actually do?

:idea: :ugeek: 8-)

(heads for the chill-out tent)
peteratjet

Postby DoctorJest » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:12 am

Rogerborg wrote: Well, considering that harvesting was just pulled out of the Midichlorian Ideas Pool, then mid-air off-turn dismounts could have been posited just as easily.

Harvesting has been previously established. This has been previously discussed to death already right in this thread.

Rob? Please post an update soon. We're running out of tinfoil.
DoctorJest

Postby Sieggy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:34 am

peteratjet wrote:Here's a new thought, technically a response to several pages back.

Over the course of his' thinkcall with Charlie, Tramennis' went through some pretty weird transformations. In fact, I'm going to say "far out" and possibly "groovy man", but definitely "psychedelic". Is this what Hippiemancy in action looks like? If so, what does it actually do?

I think that was Signamancy indicating Charlie trying to play with Trem's head.
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby Lamech » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:45 am

Sieggy wrote:
peteratjet wrote:Here's a new thought, technically a response to several pages back.

I think that was Signamancy indicating Charlie trying to play with Trem's head.

Tram is far more hippie like than the corperate Charlie. Seemed to me like it became increasingly psycheledlic as Tram gained the upper hand in the conversation. I think that the whole thing was symbolic of Tram outmanuvering Charlie. I also think the art was much better than Jillian's conversation with Charlie.
Lamech

Postby teratorn » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:19 am

Ansan Gotti wrote:
huskeonkel wrote:I am going to add another hypothesis, and that is you can't double-mount with a heavy.

She'd doublemount before they were promoted. Parson didn't want
Wanda double-mounted.

My guess is that Parson wanted Wanda and all the decrypted on the
ground as fast as possible. I suppose heavies are rather slow falling
and Tram can still zap them or shoot a few arrows on them.
teratorn

Postby Vreejack » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:04 am

Ditto wrote:He's a gruff but lovable signamancer who can't talk straight. She's a peace-loving florist with a secret.

They Fight Crime!

The expression is: "Together, they fight crime!"

The version he uses is just weak. How can that guy go through so much trouble to set that site up and then fumble on the 1-yard line? He even made it the name of his site. :? It's like having a big, tricked-out and mis-spelled name tag on your shirt. In a photograph. With you smiling, proudly, because you didn't notice the speling erorr.
So...Watashi wa mizugorō ga sukina koto o kiita, neh?
A Prediction is what would have happened had there been no Prediction. What is scary is that they are also what will happen in spite of the Prediction.
Vreejack

Postby effataigus » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:03 pm

Ansan Gotti wrote:Hey man, he got a whole funky new hairstyle and threads after FAQ fell. :)

I doff my hat to thee, sir! +10 internet prediction points!
effataigus

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions