162 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 149-150

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: 162 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 149-150

Postby MarbitChow » Sat May 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Just wanted to say "Bravo!"

Excellent story!

I can't wait for the next book!
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby Sean Clannery » Sat May 23, 2009 10:23 pm

"Parson...did what he _had_ to do - for Erf! An entire Royal Crown Coalition obliterated, and an Arkentool! He had no choice ... Erfworld. It's finished."
"No; I think it's just getting started."
Sean Clannery
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby melhelix » Sat May 23, 2009 10:24 pm

It's on now.
Simply stunning.

Hmm, when you throw the rulebook of warfare courtesies out the window things always get horrifying and gruesome. I fully expect Parson to be doing things like *le gasp* walking outside his hex, at night! :D

Can't wait for the mini-updates during summer, book two during autumn, and a chance to purchase book one. :mrgreen:
melhelix
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Cadrys » Sat May 23, 2009 10:29 pm

Game. On. Fall cannot come too soon!
Cadrys
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Kreistor » Sat May 23, 2009 10:35 pm

I... I don't know if I would have come up with that. It needed to be done, and I missed it. Boop, I feel embarrassed.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby the_tick_rules » Sat May 23, 2009 10:53 pm

Aww, the sword was cool.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby BeelzebubIV » Sat May 23, 2009 10:58 pm

I cant help but notice, that he broke free from the panels. The last page he is no longer confined to Erfworld's boxes.
BeelzebubIV

Postby Alexei P » Sat May 23, 2009 11:01 pm

He finally did it - he threw away the sword.

So, just what is Parson now, if he's no longer a warlord unit? Can't wait to find out in Book 2.
Alexei P

Postby moose o death » Sat May 23, 2009 11:18 pm

the sword doesn't make him a warlord

he's still a warlord, but he may have just defected. he may now be considered his own side and thus language filter is set by him now.

the next story is said to be a "narrative distance" so i don't think it's going to start with stanley showing up and being happy/furious. i get the feeling some short stories will explain all that and kick the story off in a very different way.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Ragn Charran » Sat May 23, 2009 11:31 pm

Gamebreaker indeed.

Look out, Charlie. You woke a giant with your meddling.

And he's pissed.
So, Uncle Xykon, what's the moral of the story?
...And they died happily ever after. The End.
Order of the Stick #657
Ragn Charran
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Lothmar » Sat May 23, 2009 11:39 pm

I find it odd people are speculating that he broke the rules. Then again, with no rules obviously stated we'll never know.

Was it a bad idea to throw away a magical item/artifact (dont know if it counts as made by people from erf) that in technicality is property of his side without express permission from stanley; yes. Doesn't mean he broke any actual rules. Heck if he's following the rules of obedience and believes throwing away the sword better serves his side then him keeping it, then he's following them.

Is it against the rules to use naughty language? Hey I dont think so. Heck there aren't even any children in erfworld, everyone is a mature adult here, who are we censoring things from!? Oh wait, nobles. =p We all saw how great that turned out when they got together to pick on the uncouth commoner who had risen to power. XD
Lothmar

Postby BarGamer » Sat May 23, 2009 11:56 pm

Nebulious wrote:We've seen somewhat colored language from Jillian and Wanda before.

*Laughs HARD at the probably unintentional pun.* Sizemore had a rather pretty-looking "NSFW" attack, too. XD

Seriously, though. Parson's rant reminds me of Great Teacher Largo's rant in Megatokyo about "I will not teach NPCs." He got what he thought he wanted when he was first summoned. In Erfworld, he got what Erf thought he needed. Only now is Parson saying, "Ok, screw the rules. I am not an NPC. I am a PLAYER. You don't tell me what to do, I tell YOU!" SO EPIC!

June 4th can't come soon enough.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby teratorn » Sat May 23, 2009 11:58 pm

Oh well Parson, you can curse all you want you're still trapped inside the damn place and bound
to give us at least another book.

Nice finale.
teratorn

Postby Infidel » Sat May 23, 2009 11:59 pm

BeelzebubIV wrote:I cant help but notice, that he broke free from the panels. The last page he is no longer confined to Erfworld's boxes.

Yup, page 135 and this.

Hrm, his scabbard dissapeared.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby BarGamer » Sun May 24, 2009 12:00 am

teratorn wrote:Oh well Parson, you can curse all you want you're still trapped inside the damn place and bound
to give us at least another book.

*Smashes a pumpkin.* "Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage..." ;)
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer

Postby Bobby Archer » Sun May 24, 2009 12:17 am

Erfworld gave him the sword to make Parson its "Perfect Warlord." Looks like Parson's done being what the world made him into.

"You didn't wish for this world, Parson Gotti. It wished for you."

Be careful what you wish for, indeed.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby Infidel » Sun May 24, 2009 12:35 am

raphfrk wrote:
The Dark Fiddler wrote:I can't stop thinking about how Parson dropped an f-bomb.

Also, notice the pause. It is like he expected to be censored. "Fuck" <oh that worked> "... you".

Maybe the "I am a player" comment disables the language filter.

I think the ... represents the effort of throwing the sword. ### throw you!
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby kreszantas » Sun May 24, 2009 12:37 am

Even with this "release" Parson is still a "Stranger in a Strange Land" he is still there, and he still has work to do if he is going to fulfill what Janis's Prophecy for him. It is the first real alone moment for him and he rages against the system just like he would do back at Kinkos yet lacks the courage to do so. Erf caused Parson to see the if "fanatsy were reality" of his lifestyle would be not to his liking even when he supposedly created it. As Ashna said in that page it is not healthy for you. http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F016.jpg panel 5 and she was so right.
Huh? What was that sound, oh nevermind it was nothing.
kreszantas

Postby Goshen » Sun May 24, 2009 12:56 am

Totally brilliant. Well done!

So parson overcame the thinkamancy he was laboring under. I guess that is similar to how Jillian broke Wanda's suggestion spell. Since Wanda also cast the summoning spell, I hope she doesn't get a backlash. :-(
Goshen

Postby Occasional Sage » Sun May 24, 2009 1:01 am

Nice to see Parson finally return the world's constant "fuck you," and with some interest.

Rob: a masterfully told story. I haven't read something as good, in any format, in quite some time.

Jamie: excellent, truly spectacular art. Your inspired choices and subtle touches took Erfworld from great to something really special.

I'm sad to see the first book end, even though it's on such a great note. I have that bittersweet heartache I remember from the end of a teenage summer romance.
Avatar courtesy of Dr. Bath of GitP!
Occasional Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions