162 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 149-150

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: 162 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 149-150

Postby atteSmythe » Sun May 24, 2009 1:50 am

Man, I'm liking more and more the theory that "Special" includes immunity/resistance to Natural Thinkamancy. What a great way to end the book.
atteSmythe

Postby Allandaros » Sun May 24, 2009 2:31 am

This was a stellar finish. Kudos to both of you, Jamie and Rob!

melhelix wrote:Hmm, when you throw the rulebook of warfare courtesies out the window things always get horrifying and gruesome.

You ought to perhaps reword that to "When you have warfare things always get horrifying and gruesome." ;)
Allandaros

Postby small pumpkin m » Sun May 24, 2009 2:37 am

Made of Win.

Infidel wrote:Hrm, his scabbard dissapeared.

No, he leaves it on the ground behind him in the last panel.
small pumpkin m

Postby Biomekanic » Sun May 24, 2009 2:41 am

Thank the maker for summer updates, because the Fall is so far away.
Biomekanic

Postby Toolbreaker » Sun May 24, 2009 3:42 am

Un-booping-believable! That was awesome. I've been following this comic almost daily since around page 35. I can't wait for the summer updates to begin and for a chance to buy the book.

Just Wow. Loved it.
Toolbreaker

Postby LordDarksea » Sun May 24, 2009 5:11 am

Dear Rob and Jamie. You rock. you really, really do.
LordDarksea

Postby Ichthus » Sun May 24, 2009 5:46 am

Holy boop! err... shit!
Ichthus

Postby Matty » Sun May 24, 2009 7:20 am

Maybe now that PArson has both literally and symbolically foresaken the sword his career as a hippimancer will start and grow.
Matty

Postby raphfrk » Sun May 24, 2009 8:29 am

atteSmythe wrote:Man, I'm liking more and more the theory that "Special" includes immunity/resistance to Natural Thinkamancy. What a great way to end the book.

Maybe Parson is a weak shockamancer :) and that was his first 'spell'.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Alias » Sun May 24, 2009 9:03 am

After reading the post on GiantITP I regret not posting sooner. To think that we might not have seen the end of book 1 because of my lazy lurking! I *love* what has been done with the story and characters. I eagerly await every instalment and I even own merchandise. I suspect that the first batch of complainers were not big on reading outside of the web, because the story struck me as one of the type that results in the most immersive kind of story. You are thrown into a world without preamble (much like Parson) and you must run to keep up.

Fantastic job, Rob and Jamie, there is greatness here.

-Alias
Alias

Postby moose o death » Sun May 24, 2009 9:08 am

parson is a warlord, he's not any kind of caster. there doesn't appear to ever be any crossover in those classes or else wanda would have put sizemore or herself as chiefwarlord. both being master level mancers in their fields. she summoned the perfect warlord, the stupid meals fixed the "mistake" the summoning spell made, to make the perfect warlord, at the end of the trip to the magic kingdom parson is told it's no place for warlords.

so much evidence tells us he's a warlord, only ONE tells us he's a caster and we've never once seen any evidence to suggest it's truthful. only that it's the peaceful alternative at that moment.

my guess is his special is that he's not bound by the rules all erfworlders are bound by. it's a simple but powerful thing. if you weren't bound by your nations laws what could YOU achieve?
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Bobby Archer » Sun May 24, 2009 10:13 am

moose o death wrote:my guess is his special is that he's not bound by the rules all erfworlders are bound by. it's a simple but powerful thing. if you weren't bound by your nations laws what could YOU achieve?

Just look what James Bond pulls off with a license to kill.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby Ambug666 » Sun May 24, 2009 11:06 am

So Parson doesn't consider himself a gamepiece. He's a player. What does he consider the Erfworld inhabitants around him then?
Ambug666

Postby Goshen » Sun May 24, 2009 11:37 am

Ambug666 wrote:So Parson doesn't consider himself a gamepiece. He's a player. What does he consider the Erfworld inhabitants around him then?

People. That's one of his his special strengths. He might crusade to eventually break everyone out of their defined roles and make Erfworld more like Earth. Getting there will be very ugly, however, and fraught with moral peril. This such a good setup for the second book.
Goshen

Postby Dragonchampion » Sun May 24, 2009 11:52 am

TOTAL WAR

Humanity's final, destructive achievement, and Parson has just invented it. :shock:

It seems that Erfworld will be eliminated quickly and easily when Parson orders his men to move at night...

But throwing away the sword? What a STUPID thing to do. Now he has no weapon during combat, unless he...

*bum bum bum!* finds another Tool!
Dragonchampion

Postby mutecebu » Sun May 24, 2009 12:25 pm

: :o

Awesome finish! Now, quick, start making book 2! Don't you dare take a break on us! :P
Anyways, thanks for an awesome comic.
mutecebu

Postby teratorn » Sun May 24, 2009 12:40 pm

Alias wrote:After reading the post on GiantITP I regret not posting sooner. To think that we might not have seen the end of book 1 because of my lazy lurking!

Try going there and reading the first days of posting. I'm glad the authors were not discouraged by all of that.
teratorn

Postby MarbitChow » Sun May 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Dragonchampion wrote:But throwing away the sword? What a STUPID thing to do.

On the contrary: first off, it's a symbolic rejection of war itself. Parson will continue fighting, but he'll do so with a clear goal in mind, not simply fighting for fighting's sake, which is what the entire realm of Erfworld is currently experiencing. Secondly, Parson should never be on the front lines, ever. He's not a warrior, he's a tactician.

The sword grants fighting ability (useless, because if the enemy is close enough to strike him, he's made some horrible mistakes), leadership (not required, since Ansom's level 10 bonus is far better), and Ruthlessness, which Parson is rejecting. Parson may do horrible things in the future, but he needs his reluctance to do them, so that he will always be seeking a better way to resolve the issue, and only resort to violence if there is no other way.
MarbitChow

Postby CaptainInsano » Sun May 24, 2009 2:43 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
Dragonchampion wrote:But throwing away the sword? What a STUPID thing to do.

On the contrary: first off, it's a symbolic rejection of war itself. Parson will continue fighting, but he'll do so with a clear goal in mind, not simply fighting for fighting's sake, which is what the entire realm of Erfworld is currently experiencing. Secondly, Parson should never be on the front lines, ever. He's not a warrior, he's a tactician.

The sword grants fighting ability (useless, because if the enemy is close enough to strike him, he's made some horrible mistakes), leadership (not required, since Ansom's level 10 bonus is far better), and Ruthlessness, which Parson is rejecting. Parson may do horrible things in the future, but he needs his reluctance to do them, so that he will always be seeking a better way to resolve the issue, and only resort to violence if there is no other way.

Yeah but, it was a nice sword.
CaptainInsano

Postby cloudbreaker » Sun May 24, 2009 2:44 pm

moose o death wrote:parson is a warlord, he's not any kind of caster. there doesn't appear to ever be any crossover in those classes or else wanda would have put sizemore or herself as chiefwarlord. both being master level mancers in their fields. she summoned the perfect warlord, the stupid meals fixed the "mistake" the summoning spell made, to make the perfect warlord, at the end of the trip to the magic kingdom parson is told it's no place for warlords.

so much evidence tells us he's a warlord, only ONE tells us he's a caster and we've never once seen any evidence to suggest it's truthful. only that it's the peaceful alternative at that moment.

my guess is his special is that he's not bound by the rules all erfworlders are bound by. it's a simple but powerful thing. if you weren't bound by your nations laws what could YOU achieve?

I'm just wondering what makes people think a caster couldn't be promoted to warlord? It probably never happens since casters have other jobs to do and they don't have the right stats for it, but it still might be possible. I think it is one of those things people in erfworld just don't do. Just like people in the real world don't make mayonnaise flavored cakes, but they could.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions