Book 2 – Page 51

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 51

Postby danhaas » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:51 am

That callousness of Wanda is puzzling me... is it confidence on Fate, dizzyness from the Cure, or just her personality after the Suggestion backlash and Arkentool atunnment?
danhaas

Postby VoiceOfUnreason » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:03 am

Hayes wrote:I wonder if the arrows "mything" are an oblique reference to Robert Asprin's Myth series?

Given that two arrows myth, it is almost certainly a reference to Carol Kane in the Muppet Movie (1979).
VoiceOfUnreason

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:10 am

Maybe they're Thpanith.

Or fiwed by Bigguth Dickuth.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Smoker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:11 am

HandofShadows wrote:GREAT page. Wanda seems to be really out of it at the moment. Did getting knocked on the head mess her up (more than she already was?) As for the jet pack, didn't that get left behind?

Ace and Cubbins are supposed to be "In formation" in the tower - along with their new toy. Its still within easy reach of the units on the balcony.

splintermute wrote:
I don't think that's a fail on Tram's part - he already ordered the evacuation of the atrium. Adam is acting on his own initiative - he really shouldn't have been standing there.

Having a few hardcore units risking the arrows is actually a great plan. If only Antium had a few more hits left, this would be the end of the battle. Units with low hits are just decrypt-fodder, so you only want Antium-esque units down there, and solely to engage Wanda and Jack.

In fact, there's a huge risk, but it might even be worth sending the casters down to spew fire (or hobokens) into the atrium from the tower entrance.

Basically this is JS's last chance to use their big guns, before they are outmatched by a swarm of dwagon.2's.

In other news, if most heavy units can't enter tunnels, can dwagons actually enter the tower? Maybe there's no restriction because the Titans never thought of it? Like they never thought of disabling the harvest feature when stuck in airspace, y'know..?

EDIT: Just as I hit submit, I remembered the FAQ tower allows maga/gwiffons to land on (in?) it. So I guess that's a precedent.

danhaas wrote:That callousness of Wanda is puzzling me... is it confidence on Fate, dizzyness from the Cure, or just her personality after the Suggestion backlash and Arkentool atunnment?

She was always a cold character in battle, but now she has her 'tool in hand she's even more sure of herself. Having said that, I do think the way she spoke to Jack (or more: The way she didn't get angry with the way Jack spoke to her) means that the Incapacitation/Cure did throw her a little bit.

Or perhaps she's actually coming to like him? Recall the knowing look they shared before harvesting. It will be interesting development for both characters, assuming they survive (and by god I'm fearful for Jack this battle.)
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
Smoker

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:14 am

Apart from the obvious, I think that if anyone has a chance of biting it, it's

*drum-roll*

*moar drum-roll*

Sizemore. He didn't even want a part of this!
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Smoker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:18 am

Nah, I recon Sizemore's still got a part to play. He is, after all, pretty much Janis' only string on Parson.

One of the reasons I fear for Jack is that panel a few pages back where Parson says "Stay alive, that's an order." and Jack is floating in the background as if to add "Even if you have to kill that guy."
Smoker

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:20 am

Mortality Watch, anyone?
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Zeku » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:27 am

Jack isn't going to die.

He's a favorite. Welcome to any comic book, ever.
There's no other character that will be narratively affected by his death. No one really cares about him, beyond just casually being his friend.
He's unhappy, secretly. Unhappy characters are typically doomed to immortality.
He's part of the 'not super important but still interesting' backdrop of Erfworld and the comic itself. Rob's not going to burn the scenery.
Zeku

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:34 am

Zeku wrote:Jack isn't going to die.

Not to mention Illusions are just so damn handy for setting up misleading narratives. :D
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:36 am

But of course Jack isn't going to die.

Sizemore on the other hand ... Eh? Eh?
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Smoker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:44 am

I think Parson would be pretty cut up about it. His friends, such as they are, are limited to the GK casters. He doesn't really trust Maggie, he's freaked out by Wanda, and Sizemore actually hates him... So Jack's the closest thing to a best friend for Parson.

And killing Jack would serve a few purposes:
a) Making us, the readers, hate his killer
b) Continuing the theme of Parson winning at great personal cost
c) Showing another angle on decryption - Ansom's a fanatic, Doufus is an Ossomer... Jack would be a what?

But yeah, not really something we can effectively debate, so I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone of anything..

haha, Bland. :P
Smoker

Postby gatherer818 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:47 am

Found Leadership. OMG I ROFLED.

But seriously, she's playing the game exactly like a good gamer does when they realize they have a unique. There's a reason most games restrict how easy it is to make someone else's units becomes yours. LIMITLESS POWER. Now she has a magic "add target unit to your force" button, she's abusing it exactly the way I would. "Oh I need a Leadership bonus... that enemy has a nice Leadership bonus... *theft* hey check out my awesome Leadership bonus! Now I need more troops to benefit from it...."
gatherer818

Postby drachefly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:15 am

2 things, both centered on the first panel in the last row.

Antium looks demented in that panel, and more importantly, not like himself.

Somehow I didn't get the impression that Wanda, Jack, or the dwagon were going to do anything at all about him. I guess he surprised them. I would have liked to see a reaction shot with the pliers in a guard position... but I suppose getting on with the story is a bigger deal.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby badninja » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:33 am

Wow things just do not want to go Jetstone's way in this battle, yes they caught some breaks, but for every step forward it is two back. I like how at least tram is starting to realize that keeping the "King", so to speak, safe is the most prudent move. The plan that Parson is planning is now showing Jetstone the true horrors of how GK does war now. Remember when Stately chided Tram about tempting fate, will now it is showing up in full force and he is regretting even parlaying. Great update and Xin's art is superb as always.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby teratorn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:38 am

JS should send in golems, I'd guess since they are constructs and don't pop they can't be decrypted.
This might be the way to beat GK, a huge army of golems with only a few warlords to direct the
fight.

About the art, I'm not a big fan of the «realistic» characters , so I really like Wanda as she is the
last panel. May favorite Wanda is still the one from the first strips in book one.
Last edited by teratorn on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
teratorn

Postby slb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:41 am

I don't understand the "Myth" art on the arrows targeting Wanda: Is Jack making them disappear ? Or are they actually just passing near Wanda and missing her ?
slb
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby danhaas » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:56 am

teratorn wrote:JS should send in golems, I'd guess since they are constructs and don't pop they can't be decrypted.
This might be the way to beat GK, a huge army of golems with only a few warlords to direct the
fight..

Golems can be decrypted. Check the summer updates, they mention it. Decryption can affect creatures that cannot be uncroaked.

Right now, the only questions about decryption is whether casters retain their magic after being decrypted and whether decrypted units can somehow be turned. Both should be answered "soon".
danhaas

Postby gameboy1234 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:01 pm

slb wrote:I don't understand the "Myth" art on the arrows targeting Wanda: Is Jack making them disappear ? Or are they actually just passing near Wanda and missing her ?

They're missing her. I think Jack actually dodges an arrow in that panel, if you look closely at his body posture.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby wrecan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:10 pm

slb wrote:I don't understand the "Myth" art on the arrows targeting Wanda: Is Jack making them disappear ? Or are they actually just passing near Wanda and missing her ?

I think Jack is creating an illusion of arrows falling in their vicinity. The archers will thus concentrate their fire on areas that they think their allies are not covering. Which explains why he seems so nonchalant about the "weather".
wrecan

Postby slb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:12 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:They're missing her. I think Jack actually dodges an arrow in that panel, if you look closely at his body posture.
You're right, should have paid more attention, there are so many details in Xin's Art.
BTW, The green dwagon chasing the footmen on the balcony in the last panel is almost as funny as Jack's snarky comments.
slb

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions