Book 2 – Page 51

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 51

Postby multilis » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:14 pm

Wandas orders to survive no matter what could also still mean switching sides/joining Charlie... it is his turn next. Would change everything, suddenly GK and Jetstone would be allies.
multilis

Postby El_Chupacabra » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:15 pm

Are the dwagons more armored on top, such that the arrows will have dramatically less effect? Possibly so much less that the archers will run out of arrows before the dwagons run out of HP?

It would make sense, if so, to have the dwagons provide shelter and "ride out" the arrow volleys. If there's still enough ammo, then leaving the Atrium makes more sense.
El_Chupacabra

Postby the_tick_rules » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Dragons running wild inside the castle, awesome.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Syal » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:38 pm

multilis wrote:Wandas orders to survive no matter what could also still mean switching sides/joining Charlie... it is his turn next. Would change everything, suddenly GK and Jetstone would be allies.

I figured they were saving that for FAQ: Wanda defects, then defects back at the last minute, and FAQ falls fantastically. I can't imagine double defections are a common Erfworld practice.
El_Chupacabra wrote:Are the dwagons more armored on top, such that the arrows will have dramatically less effect? Possibly so much less that the archers will run out of arrows before the dwagons run out of HP?

It would make sense, if so, to have the dwagons provide shelter and "ride out" the arrow volleys. If there's still enough ammo, then leaving the Atrium makes more sense.

It would be odd for a primarily flying unit to have less armor underneath than on top.
Although, killing dwagons one at a time could be a different matter than killing them all at once, assuming there's the same level of inaccuracy in both cases; stray shots that would otherwise hit another unit are simply wasted. They could potentially hop from one dwagon corpse to another until the archers are out of arrows. Would explain why they haven't rezzed the whole field yet, too.
Syal

Postby atalex » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:39 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
splintermute wrote:I don't think that's a fail on Tram's part - he already ordered the evacuation of the atrium. Adam is acting on his own initiative - he really shouldn't have been standing there.

I subscribe. Let's not pass blame on who's not responsible, let's try to vary our who-s-an-idiot discussions (my money now is on- Charlie is a complete dunderhead), and we may even agree that flooding the exposed courtyard with arrows (while instructing your infantry to block the exits of the Atrium) is a sound plan.

I'd say it was a very sound plan since we just saw an arrow miss Wanda's head by six inches! It's not Tram's fault that Wanda is protected by Fate armor.
atalex

Postby Infidel » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:47 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
teratorn wrote:Oh the lack of leadership means one thing, Sylvia is dead or incapacitated. Should we start mourning?

It's a strong possibility.

My guess is however that she has just as good a chance of being functional as any Hob Knight. Those had leadership too, after all, so we should assume that either everything that had leadership was lost (but, weirdly, just the casters were spared- how convenient), or that leadership is lost because any stacking structure was lost after the fall.

My pick, for now, is the latter.

I see it as no possibility at all. "We are scattered...." means that leadership is simply out of sight/hearing.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby TheMutant » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:48 pm

I wouldn't say that Sylvia's dusted yet; more leadership is always better! Wonder if Adam will get his arm back. So far, Decrypted units seem to be healed of all wounds, but this is the most serious we've seen so far.

Also, looove the Decrypted dwagon design. I'd been wondering how a decrypted dwagon would get the decrypted colors yet still show what color of dwagon it is. o: I'll have to draw some.
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby gameboy1234 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:50 pm

oslecamo2 wrote:Another fail for Trems. " HERP Hey, let's shoot down our own troops so Wanda has yet more bodies to decrypt DERP!"

And then back to tactical genius ""Oh s**** we«re f*****! Need to find a way to keep king alive. Now."

I think Tramennis understands the situation quite well. The first bit was "WTF?! They're killing their own?", which would probably be expected of anyone.

But now he's grasped what is going on, in not much more time than it takes for someone to drop from tower height and croak. His words show he knows exactly what the score is now.

"Father... Understand. We are now in quite serious trouble. We must plan quickly, giving our foremost consideration to the preservation of your life."

Tramennis knows Jetstone's very existence is at stake now. Slately is going to soon be in the same hex as a bunch of decrypted dwagons, with Wanda's and the pliers' bonus. And JS has no heir. One good hit on Slately and the whole side's done.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Althernai » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:56 pm

danhaas wrote:That callousness of Wanda is puzzling me... is it confidence on Fate, dizzyness from the Cure, or just her personality after the Suggestion backlash and Arkentool atunnment?

Why do you think it is something other than her natural personality? She has never given a second thought to uncroaking a unit and this is not even one she knew. Uncroaking Banhammer was callous, decrypting Antium for the sake of leadership is just everyday business.
Althernai
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby dirocyn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:59 pm

So now Slately needs saved, and they've got a jetpack. Good thing for GK they left all the Archons & Ossomer in airspace, so Slately can't just flee unscathed. I think we're about to see just how loyal decrypted units are.
dirocyn

Postby zilfallon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:07 pm

Shusagi wrote:Awesome page. Leaves me wanting so much more though. I wish I could have the restraint to not check the comic for a few months then get a whole bunch of story all at once, but alas. : )

Well...none of us has such a strong willpower.

the decrypted dragon is badass
Also, Jack...is just awesome. Lol at this:
Jack wrote:No... I really can't see how the locals stand this climate

Wanda wrote:Found Leadership

This is the best line ever :D Direct solution to the problem!
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby Lamech » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:08 pm

teratorn wrote:JS should send in golems, I'd guess since they are constructs and don't pop they can't be decrypted.
This might be the way to beat GK, a huge army of golems with only a few warlords to direct the
fight.
We've seen GK use cloth golems in the exposition at the start of book two. Its possible Wanda, a MK caster or the archons made them, but I assumed it was simple decryption. Although I would personally recommend golems backed up by the dollamancer, dittomancer, healomancer combo. With the dollamancer's and warlord's bonus multiplied by the dittomancer with the healing a Jetstone golem would be worth way more than a GK golem.

atalex wrote:I'd say it was a very sound plan since we just saw an arrow miss Wanda's head by six inches! It's not Tram's fault that Wanda is protected by Fate armor.
I would agree. If they lose here they essentially lose. Wanda MUST die. If Wanda dies GK loses. Its worth the risk of croaking a slim few units in the atrium; GK already has plently corspes to pick from comparitivly, and IIRC most of the warlords mounted on the dwagons were alive, so they were gonna get leadeship anyway.
Lamech

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:13 pm

dirocyn wrote:So now Slately needs saved, and they've got a jetpack. Good thing for GK they left all the Archons & Ossomer in airspace, so Slately can't just flee unscathed. I think we're about to see just how loyal decrypted units are.

Correction: "Good thing all the archers and casters are still in the tower, so all the Archons can be dusted, Charlie's bounty can be collected, and Slately will have enough cash to try to quickly reinforce the fall-back capital". :D
MarbitChow

Postby President_Allosaurus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:34 pm

yuffiek wrote:
Look in panel 2, just to the top right of the speech balloon, you'll see what appears to be a red-haired GK knight holding off a good half-dozen Jetstone troops. Sylvia is most definitely up and and about... :D

They have red helmets. I think we're seeing two decrypted fighting off a bunch of jetstones there.
President_Allosaurus

Postby Dr Pepper » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:36 pm

Up and at 'em, Adam Antium!

He's about to hoist the Jolly Roger. Wanda gave him brain candy. He's reconsidered the friend or foe issue and will soon be slicing his former comrads from navel to neck. Prince Charming Tramennis needs to stop being such a goody two shoes and feed him to the lions, because things are about to get physical. And if King Slately can't get away, there'll soon be room at the top in Jetstone.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Dr Pepper » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:38 pm

Also, interesting to see that Wanda is pretty good at illusions herself.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby ZevGun » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:38 pm

teratorn wrote:Oh the lack of leadership means one thing, Sylvia is dead or incapacitated. Should we start mourning?

I thought Jack was referring to finding Jetstone leadership. When they decrypted Ossomer didn't he give all sorts of information about their plan? Finding a Warlord would be a quick way to know what Jetstone has for interior defenses and current orders.
ZevGun
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby CorrTerek » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:51 pm

VoiceOfUnreason wrote:
Hayes wrote:I wonder if the arrows "mything" are an oblique reference to Robert Asprin's Myth series?

Given that two arrows myth, it is almost certainly a reference to Carol Kane in the Muppet Movie (1979).

That's actually the first thing I thought of. Glad to see I wasn't the only one!
CorrTerek

Postby danhaas » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:23 pm

Althernai wrote:
danhaas wrote:That callousness of Wanda is puzzling me... is it confidence on Fate, dizzyness from the Cure, or just her personality after the Suggestion backlash and Arkentool atunnment?

Why do you think it is something other than her natural personality? She has never given a second thought to uncroaking a unit and this is not even one she knew. Uncroaking Banhammer was callous, decrypting Antium for the sake of leadership is just everyday business.

I mean the callousness of facing a shower of arrows and a warlord in melee action like it was... nothing. She seems oblivious or overconfident. Maybe nonchalant is a better word. Compare her reaction to those things with Jack's reaction, who is calming himself with irony.
danhaas

Postby SteveMB » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:24 pm

fractal wrote:
tez wrote:
Sixty wrote:Heh, "Found Leadership."

That bit is pure evil. So callous.

Yeah, warlords mean nothing to Wanda now, they are totally replaceable. Only high level ones like Ansom, or unique ones like Parson, are worth even giving a second thought.

"Now"?
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions