Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby SwordsageErrant » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:43 am

Relevant:

(Source)

Note boots, round gauntlets, hairstyle and trenchcoat. As a rabid Fate/Stay Night fan I've just had that much more reason to be extremely impressed with Erfworld. xD
SwordsageErrant

Postby Dr Pepper » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:48 am

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" --Fud's First Law of Opposition.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Atomic » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:49 am

Wow!! What a great update... It makes me feel excited to know that at least some of Gobwin Knob's leadership survived...

Things to take from this update:
1a.) By the end of the update, Sylvia has recited her battle poem over ten times. I read it at a pretty quick clip and my stop watch says 1:50:20, so it's safe to assume she waited over twenty minutes (of course, I might read at a different pace, but I tried to keep it quick to imitate when one recites from memory)
1b.) Through extension, that means that twenty minutes in, there's still panic in the Artium and that Wanda is still alive; not only because of the (lack of) theoretical dusting, but because Sylvia didn't mention any drop in bonus... On the flip side, she didn't mention any increase of bonus, either, so it's safe to assume Parson hasn't joined the battle. Makes me wonder what's holding him up...perhaps something we'll see in the next update?

2.) As far as we know, heavy units (regardless of type) can no longer Talk. If Vurp is/was present at the battle, that complicates the matter of the secret he was keeping from Parson. Perhaps some fancy Thinkamancy will need to be done to get the secret out of him? I dunno, but it adds another layer of complexity if he was there.

I don't feel like I missed anything too obvious, but I'm excited for what "The Great Thinkers" of the forums are gonna say. I normally don't post ahead of 'em just 'cause I like reading their opinions, but I just wanted to get my two cents out there!! :lol:
Rob Balder wrote:We have one rule in these forums: don't be a dick.
Atomic

Postby askafroa » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:52 am

gameboy1234 wrote:Hmm, some Hobgobwins don't talk? Interesting....

They have their own language that they speak among themselves but only a few speak Language in the sense of being able to communicate in the common language of most erfworld units.

Natural Allies such as Hobgobwins have their own languages, and only some units in a tribe speak Language.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/LIAB_Text_4
askafroa

Postby Dr Pepper » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:52 am

Krennson wrote:hmmm... so if I'm reading this right, max falling speed is constant across all objects?

it looks like the arrows only change speed during a few seconds at the top of their curve, then fall towards the ground at a constant rate.... which is also the same constant rate that dead dragons fall.

Yeah, noticed that. Terminal velocity is the same for all objects which means arching shots are best used against stationary units.

I wonder if arrows also RISE at a constant rate? either way, This is going to have wacky consequences for things like ballistic tables...

Heh, when i gm there are no parabolas, just slanting lines. I should add this as well.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby cloudbreaker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:00 am

Atomic wrote:...

2.) As far as we know, heavy units (regardless of type) can no longer Talk. If Vurp is/was present at the battle, that complicates the matter of the secret he was keeping from Parson. Perhaps some fancy Thinkamancy will need to be done to get the secret out of him? I dunno, but it adds another layer of complexity if he was there.

I don't think that's what we are seeing here. We know from one of the text updates that natural allies speak their own languages and that only some members of a tribe also speak Language (aka English). Vurp is one of the hobgobwins that we know does speak Language. Fud is a hobgobwin that we now know does not speak Language.

[Edit] Added link.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby atalex » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:06 am

The Titans played such strange games with their dolls.

Wounded and with only one, weaponless arm free, she would fall to the lowliest stabber. She could not fight and she could not run.

So she did what was left and commanded.

God-Damn I love the writing on this comic. Rob, will you please write a novel someday!
atalex

Postby joosy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:26 am

Curse you Sylvia, why won't you die???!!!

(just getting your goat, Bland :) )
joosy

Postby Sowelu » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:28 am

I think this is the best text update so far, and it ranks pretty high among all updates ever.
Sowelu

Postby Drongo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:35 am

When Sylvia took a dive there were no arrows in the sky.

Not all hobgobwins speak language. I wonder if Parson's influence with Vurp is making the hobgobs more in touch with their feelings?
Drongo

Postby Knight13 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:37 am

I love Sylvia's total conviction that she can outgamble death every time.
Knight13

Postby oslecamo2 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:04 am

Wait, GK has THAT captain archer?

Jetstone is extra-screwed! :twisted:

LOVED this update! Everything! About time we got some real action! :mrgreen:

It also seems like heavy hobgobwins can deliver some heavy ass-kicking!
oslecamo2

Postby splintermute » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:39 am

Atomic wrote:2.) As far as we know, heavy units (regardless of type) can no longer Talk. If Vurp is/was present at the battle, that complicates the matter of the secret he was keeping from Parson. Perhaps some fancy Thinkamancy will need to be done to get the secret out of him? I dunno, but it adds another layer of complexity if he was there.

Are you suggesting Parson and Bogroll communicated telepathically?
splintermute

Postby suryasm » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:55 am

Dang, that was definitely a Crowning Update of Awesome 8-)

Sylvia is reckless as always, but she is showing some fine tactical instincts here... finally explains why Ansom had her as part of his command team.

Also, I wonder how many people noticed that Sylvia now is commanding an archer and two heavies. Toss in a Healomancer and she's all set to go dungeon-crawling! Maybe this is the adventuring party which will team up with Parson to conquer this dungeon.. er... city :D
suryasm

Postby name lips » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:55 am

gameboy1234 wrote:Yay! Slyvia is alive. And all Wanda has to do to free her is decrypt the dwagon pinning her.

Hmm, some Hobgobwins don't talk? Interesting....

Does that mean heavy hobgobwins without Language can be harvested for food?
name lips

Postby name lips » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:00 am

splintermute wrote:
Atomic wrote:2.) As far as we know, heavy units (regardless of type) can no longer Talk. If Vurp is/was present at the battle, that complicates the matter of the secret he was keeping from Parson. Perhaps some fancy Thinkamancy will need to be done to get the secret out of him? I dunno, but it adds another layer of complexity if he was there.

Are you suggesting Parson and Bogroll communicated telepathically?

Also, Sizemore and Maggie suspected that Parson himself was a Heavy unit when they were talking about him flying on a dwagon. They didn't seem put off by his talking.
name lips

Postby Squall83 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:26 am

They didn't croak+decrypt that Archer guy, did they? I wonder if he was in love with Sylvia before.
Squall83

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:34 am

Naturally I loved this update! There's Sylvia doing some awsum commanding and like someone said, it's nice to see her tactical instincts in action; plus, her whole attitude to the croaking danger is really something. And I kinda liked this part a lot:

As far as the enemy was concerned, she was only a lifeless body. A role she was popped to play.

Maybe it's just me reading too much, but I find that to be especially apt about a background-character :P

Plus, time for a new avatar! Hm, whatever shall it be whatever shall it be ...

But Sylvia is not the only thing awesome in this update. The whole Fug part- priceless! I really like the style/voice shift from one part to the other and the way the text flows. Even in terms of style, it's my fav. update since there were text updates.

joosy wrote:Curse you Sylvia, why won't you die???!!!

(just getting your goat, Bland :) )

Beneath this armour there is more than flesh. Beneath this armour there's an idea Mr. joosy, and ideas are arrow-proof

(I'm j/k too :) )
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:42 am

suryasm wrote:Also, I wonder how many people noticed that Sylvia now is commanding an archer and two heavies. Toss in a Healomancer and she's all set to go dungeon-crawling! Maybe this is the adventuring party which will team up with Parson to conquer this dungeon.. er... city :D

:lol: Awesome. Yeah, no party's good without a cleric. Huh, there just has to be a pun in there somewhere.

Anyways, I wonder what they'll say when Parson pops in through the portal, bearing enough arms to start a weapon-dealer's. "Carrier has arrived"?
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby youngstormlord » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:44 am

Yep, Sylvia is awesome! I can't wait for next update!

Also, levelling is "FUN!" and that explains why units feel the need to fight!
Don't click on this link, you might feel cheated if you do.
Hint:
Spoiler: show
It's my fanfiction. :)

My erf PC game (first test version): Jack Attack Update: Gone after fall of megaupload. Update2: Uploaded again on another hosting. Give it a go.
youngstormlord

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions