Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby kaylasdad99 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:47 pm

I confess, I haven't read all of the threads in the forum, so bear with me if this has been discussed elsewhere.

We know that if a decrypted unit is killed, it dusts (which is why I said "killed" and not "croaked"). Thus Wanda cannot decrypt the same unit twice.

When the Arkenpliers, in the hands of an untuned wielder, touch an uncroaked unit, the uncroaked unit dusts.

Were Wanda to touch an uncroaked unit (uncroaked by a different Croakamancer, that is) with the Arkenpliers, what would be the effect? And if Wanda were to wield the Arkenpliers upon a wounded decrypted unit, what would be the result?
kaylasdad99

Postby Ansan Gotti » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:48 pm

Drongo wrote:When Sylvia took a dive there were no arrows in the sky.

Good point.

LOVED LOVED LOVED this update!
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby the_tick_rules » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:50 pm

It's never happened in-comic but I can't see why it wouldn't destory it.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby PurpleLemur » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:55 pm

Hm...

F = Th
(As in Erf is Earth)

Fud = Thud.

Nicely named. If my logic is correct.
PurpleLemur

Postby effataigus » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Heh, GK gets a sniper.
Ansan Gotti wrote:
Drongo wrote:When Sylvia took a dive there were no arrows in the sky.

Good point.

Indeed, nice catch!

Also, it sounds like we have one confirmed answer to the question of "why can't 1 archer kill every unit in an airspace by refusing to end his turn?" ... finite number of arrows.

The arrow retrieval opens up the possibility for JS waiting to end turn until all of their arrows were stuck in something in the airspace though... assuming that there is time enough (if time is even an issue), and assuming that they killed enough of the yellows in the first couple of volleys that they can risk sending troops below them to scavenge... clearly not an option anymore!

I loved the "Fud had less than 1 order to follow" bit. Does this mean the hobgobwin culture hasn't invented the concept of zero yet?

Oh, and more fuel for the Worf effect conversations: a dwagon is in bad shape after 10 arrows, but here we see a megalogwiff that's bummed out over being impaled by 10 spears. http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -04-21.jpg
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby multilis » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:24 pm

"Fud = Thud"

Fud refers to Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt... term used for microsoft.

Therefore GK=Microsoft.

Jetstone=Apple
Royal means OS based on Unix.

Charlie=Google

The battlefield is for control of internet in the future. Great western conflict is mostly among western software makers (Apple/Microsoft and many others are in west coast of US, other important software powers have grown in asia and africa, and europe by then)

Parson got in a car accident and fell into a coma, was dreaming about his former real life gaming, then got hooked up to an experimental computer to try and get him out of coma. AI computer programs in "magic kingdom", hacked into the the hospital network, through the hospitals internet gateway router, and are using Parson's brain power.

:lol:
Last edited by multilis on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
multilis

Postby drachefly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:34 pm

effataigus wrote:Oh, and more fuel for the Worf effect conversations: a dwagon is in bad shape after 10 arrows, but here we see a megalogwiff that's bummed out over being impaled by 10 spears.

Not '10 arrows'. 'More than 10 arrows'. Considering this Hobgobwin is not acquainted with the concept of 'zero', it's not unreasonable to suppose he also isn't aquainted with numbers such as 'twenty' or 'thirty' or 'seventeen thousand'.

Not that that dwagon was struck by seventeen thousand arrows, just sayin'.
drachefly

Postby teratorn » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:37 pm

effataigus wrote:Oh, and more fuel for the Worf effect conversations: a dwagon is in bad shape after 10 arrows, but here we see a megalogwiff that's bummed out over being impaled by 10 spears. http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -04-21.jpg

The dwagon also got damage from the fall.
teratorn

Postby drachefly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:47 pm

And the ensuing melee against ground units in a stack of unspecified size. Note that Fud's numerical estimation ability is poor, so we can't really count on 'some' as having any particular meaning other than 'more than 1'. The text does imply that there were at least 4, since I do expect Fud to be able to distinguish 1 from 2.
Last edited by drachefly on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drachefly

Postby Anca » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:47 pm

Yes! Sylvia. :D

She is amazing. And I like Fud.
Anca

Postby the_tick_rules » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:15 pm

teratorn wrote:
effataigus wrote:Oh, and more fuel for the Worf effect conversations: a dwagon is in bad shape after 10 arrows, but here we see a megalogwiff that's bummed out over being impaled by 10 spears. http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -04-21.jpg

we also don't know the comparative damage of spears vs arrows. Their is a lot of bonuses in both to guess at.
the_tick_rules

Postby Dr Pepper » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:30 pm

PurpleLemur wrote:Hm...

F = Th
(As in Erf is Earth)

Fud = Thud.

Nicely named. If my logic is correct.

I still perfer my idea of a Firesign Theater reference, albeit no one else seems to have thought so.

Could it be that the Firesign Theater is no longer a given in geek culture? Will Monty Python be next?
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Beeskee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:48 pm

How I felt about this update: Loved it. :)

And "Captain Archer" = awesome, lol, I didn't even notice that the first time. (I guess I am the only geek who liked Enterprise.)
Beeskee

Postby Hidden Sanity » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:53 pm

Captian Archer is actually a joint refrence, as he looks like a combonation of

Archer

And

Archer

His apperance and clothing has aspects of both Archers.

-Hair from Fate/Stay Nights, Face from star Trek.
-Shoulder patches from Star Trek, things like the ends of his sleeves and waist-cloak are from Fate/Stay nights
Hidden Sanity

Postby the_tick_rules » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:57 pm

Beeskee wrote:How I felt about this update: Loved it. :)

And "Captain Archer" = awesome, lol, I didn't even notice that the first time. (I guess I am the only geek who liked Enterprise.)

Judging by the ratings it recieved that sounds about right :D I loved fate stay night.
the_tick_rules

Postby Beeskee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:04 pm

It lasted a season longer than the original Star Trek. :D

It had some great episodes, (Future Tense) and some not-so-great ones. (Evil alien time-travelling space nazis... ugh)
Last edited by Beeskee on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beeskee

Postby atalex » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:08 pm

the_tick_rules wrote:
teratorn wrote:

we also don't know the comparative damage of spears vs arrows. Their is a lot of bonuses in both to guess at.

Also also, I wonder if gwiffs and megalogwiffs don't get a special resistance to impalement damage since, well, they have a marshmellow center. After all, Jillian rather impulsively captured Ansom just by dropping her megalo onto him when he was nestled amidst a group of pikers. While I don't think much of her as a strategist, I can't believe she'd have done that so casually if her mount was likely to take significant stabbing damage.
atalex

Postby atalex » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Beeskee wrote:It lasted a season longer than the original Star Trek. :D

Yeah, but on UPN instead of NBC. I imagine a test pattern on NBC would get better ratings than UPN's highest rated programming.
atalex

Postby Beeskee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:17 pm

I watched them all online. Probably another reason why geeky shows do poorly in ratings.

On-topic: "The stone floor, solid as a rulebook"... Is Sylvia thinking this? If so, does that mean Erfworld has an actual rulebook somewhere in the popped libraries that Parson missed? Or do units have a concept of rulebooks without them actually existing? (That would be weird, since they have no concept of children.) Or is this flavor text by the author and not actually indicative of something that exists in Erfworld?

Oh, and warlords can lead other warlords. "...his (Captain Archer, a warlord) ranged attacks plus her leadership..." Nifty.
Last edited by Beeskee on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beeskee

Postby Lamech » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:33 pm

the_tick_rules wrote:we also don't know the comparative damage of spears vs arrows. Their is a lot of bonuses in both to guess at.
The arrows have a chief warlord bonus and the dittomancy backing them up. There were more than ten. And it seems to me like the megalogwiff has about ten spears. Also the megalogwiff was definitly not okay. So we don't really know how much damage the dwagon took comparitivly, but it seemed to be in better shape.
Regardless this is difficult to make a comparision.

And these warlords don't seem very bright. They again just handed themselves to the enemy. Thats a truely poor move.
Lamech

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions