Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby Catherine_Puce » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:34 pm

Well, we learn few interesting things here. Captain Archer probably has a weaker leadership bonus that Lady Sylvia Lazarus or else I don't know why it would be useful to stack him with her. If Wanda decrypt the dragon, she will be free but if not she will be free in the next turn when the corpse will depop. So there are no urgency to liberate for Wanda her. They are still under the attack of Jetstone's archers and Wanda is better to find a cover and decrypt whatever unit she may find. Parson is on his way and this stack can do damage without his warlock free. The dragon make a good cover so there are no real danger for them for the moment. Jetstone will probably stop to shoot on them when they will send troops to assault the Courtyard. This will probably be the perfect time to free Sylvia.

Elle peut restée coincer sous ce dragon jusqu'à demain.

S.P.P.
Catherine_Puce

Postby million zillion » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:50 pm

As far as Sylvia's injuries, it seems likely that Wanda (a Master-class Croakamancer with the 'Pliers) can heal her without a scroll, whether or not she needs it to survive to the next turn. After all, a Dollamancer can heal cloth golems, per Ansom's comments on the bridge.

Great update. It took me a few sentences to decide whether "Fud" was a reference to FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) or to Elmer Fudd. Clearly, it's the former. But a scwewy wabbit would not have gone amiss here, either. :mrgreen:

Dr Pepper wrote:I still perfer my idea of a Firesign Theater reference, albeit no one else seems to have thought so.

Could it be that the Firesign Theater is no longer a given in geek culture? Will Monty Python be next?

Hmm... I think I'm reasonably immersed in geek culture, but I had never heard of Firesign Theater until I read this (and consulted wikipedia). Not everything from the late 60s-early 70s is going to survive the ravages of time. But I also think Python's place is quite safe.
Last edited by million zillion on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you have any idea how long twelve thousand years is?"
"I know it's not long enough to make a good rock."
.....- Digger
million zillion
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Time is a local phenomena

Postby RichMan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Don't forget that in Erf world time is not linear and is locally variant.
If a side is not in your battlespace you don't even notice their turn.

This probably works even in a mixed battle. The archers up top want to volley, volley, volley.
However they must take turns with combat being resolved down below.
So what might be volley, volley, volley on top of the tower could be several extended engagements and movement down below.

I don't think we know how a single unit vs unit action is resolved relative to mass unit actions. And I don't think we should as it would limit the narrative to much.
Although I suspect it is along the lines of a single resolution event for A vs B.
But the Actions taken by A vs B could take some time to reach the conclusion suggested by the resolution event. And drama/time being what it is A vs B has all the time it needs to to meet the resolution before it encounters another event.
RichMan

Postby Ditto » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:00 pm

As far as Sylvia's injuries, it seems likely that Wanda (a Master-class Croakamancer with the 'Pliers) can heal her without a scroll, whether or not she needs it to survive to the next turn. After all, a Dollamancer can heal cloth golems, per Ansom's comments on the bridge.

Nope. Wanda didn't heal Ansom after he sparred with Ossomer, and left him behind to command the bridge stack because he was down a few hits. But certainly, she could free Sylvia by decrypting the dwagon.
SteveMB wrote:The question is getting Wanda to honor the offer. They could keep going back and forth: offer, honor, offer, honor....
Sorry*.
*no I'm not
Ditto

Postby TheMutant » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:26 pm

Loved this one. Nice blend of funnies, information, and awesome. C: And man does Captain Archer look badass. grrr I need to get back to doing Erfworld fanart.
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby GobwinPie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:35 pm

If Captain Archer is based heavily enough off of *that* Archer, then Sylvia has no need to worry about running out of arrows.
Warlord / Dittomancer for the win!

(Also, I gotta wonder what her battle poem is too and if it beats his.)
GobwinPie

Postby GaryThunder » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:51 pm

Nope. Wanda didn't heal Ansom after he sparred with Ossomer, and left him behind to command the bridge stack because he was down a few hits. But certainly, she could free Sylvia by decrypting the dwagon.

That is not why Wanda left Ansom at the bridge. She left him there because she didn't want to bring him to Jillian, because of all the crap that would necessarily result from that. Of course, this ended up screwing Wanda over as it left Ansom open to capture by Jillian, but she really couldn't have known that at the time.
GaryThunder

Lady Sylvia Lazarus' Battle Poem

Postby RichMan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:17 pm

As written in
http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -01-03.png

Interestingly it says "never to be recited".

I have done it again.
One turn in ten or a hundred and ten
I manage it----

A sort of walking miracle, my skin
Bright as a pink flower on bone,
My right foot

A battle trophy,
My face a featureless, fine
Doll's head.

Peel off the crest
O my enemy
Do I terrify?----

The nose, the eye pits, the full set of teeth?
The sour brimstone
Will vanish in a turn.

Soon, soon the flesh
The ’crypt ripped will be
At home on me

And I, a smiling woman.
I am only Level Six
And like my Mistress I have many times to croak.

This is Number Three
What a trash
To annihilate each side.

What a million filaments.
The Carnymancy crowd
Shoves in to see

Them unveil me hand and foot----
The big strip tease.
Gentlemen, ladies,

These are my hands,
My knees.
I may be skin and bone,

Nevertheless, I am the same, identical woman.
The first time it happened I was One.
It was an accident.

The second time I meant
To last it out and not come back at all,
I rocked shut

As a scarlet seashell.
They had to call and call
And misname me to breathing again.

Croaking
Is an art, like everything else.
I do it exceptionally well.

I do it so it feels like hell.
I do it so it feels real.
I guess you could say I've a call.

It's easy enough to do so in a spell.
It's easy enough to do it and stay put.
It's the theatrical

Comeback in broad day
To the same place, the same face, the same brute
Amused shout:

"A miracle!"
That knocks me out.
There is a charge

For the eyeing of my scars, there is a charge
For the hearing of my heart----
It really goes.

And there is a charge, a very large charge
For a word or a touch
Or a soft plush

Or my face on a shirt.
So, so, my Warlord
So, my Enemy.

I am your opus,
I am your valuable,
The pure heroine doll

That melts to a shriek
I turn and burn.
Do not think I underestimate your great concern.

Ash, Ash--
You poke and stir.
Flesh, bone, there is nothing there----

A limp gray banner,
A blank shield,
A fallen crown.

My Titans, my Fate,
Beware
Beware.

Out of ash
I rise with my red hair
And I eat men like air.
RichMan

Postby Oberon » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Beeskee wrote:It lasted a season longer than the original Star Trek. :D

It had some great episodes, (Future Tense) and some not-so-great ones. (Evil alien time-travelling space space nazis... ugh)
Hmmm, holy remake, Batman! The OS had evil alien parallel history nazis.
Beeskee wrote:Oh, and warlords can lead other warlords. "...his (Captain Archer, a warlord) ranged attacks plus her leadership..." Nifty.
I think warlords can lead any other unit, save perhaps a CWL or other superior unit (Overlord/King, perhaps? They don't typically see combat, but Stanley is a notable exception to that rule). Only the best warlord bonus would apply, letting us know that Sylvia out-ranks Archer.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Beeskee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:40 pm

I figured warlords could lead other warlords but I didn't know they'd get a bonus. I wonder if it combines, if you can have a warlord leading more warlords who are all leading even more warlords, for uber bonuses.

And I remember that episode, hehe. At least that one made more sense, Federation guy thinks a culture could benefit from the positive aspects of an otherwise evil group. After all, if you could remove the racism, genocide, and all the evil etc from Nazis, you end up with a group of people who value science, education, and physical fitness. Just like if you could somehow extract the racism from the KKK, you'd be left with a bunch of guys who like to hang out with their friends and drink. Note that I am not saying these would be good ideas or are even possible, just that I understand how someone could come to that conclusion. (Spoiler: In that episode it turns out that the nationalistic aspects of nazi-ism gave rise to racism and genocide. Good and evil aren't boolean, they're a sliding value, and the "my country can do no wrong/my people are the chosen of god" attitudes are what cause the problems.)

The time travelers from the Enterprise episode were trying to ally with the worst boops in human history to have a great big ol' galaxy-wide time-bending boop-athon.

Edit: Not sure if the forum has auto-censoring or not, but I actually wrote "boop" there, not curse words. :D

> Interestingly it says "never to be recited".

Maybe that means "never to be recited aloud"
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby effataigus » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:50 pm

drachefly wrote:Not '10 arrows'. 'More than 10 arrows'. Considering this Hobgobwin is not acquainted with the concept of 'zero', it's not unreasonable to suppose he also isn't aquainted with numbers such as 'twenty' or 'thirty' or 'seventeen thousand'.

Hey, good point... that's more arrows than Fud has fingers... could be a thousand! Edit... upon a reread this sounds sarcastic... isn't trying to be... it is a good point!

But still... two heavies fall from the sky... one croaks a couple and dies, one croaks a bunch and lives. The one that lives is the one we are impressed by... the supposedly badass one that dies?... definitely attributable to circumstance... yet again.

Also, in the last comic, the dwagon utterly failed to notice Antium running up to kill Wanda... just rezzed? Aye, rough circumstances.

Now, I'm sure dwagons are hard core, but it would be great to see them in a situation where their hard-core-itude wasn't more than trumped by overwhelming odds. I'm sure we will!
Last edited by effataigus on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby drachefly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:53 pm

The one that died was also the priority target. Archery was aiming at IT, not the rider. That's why it took >10 hits in the first place, right? Yes, it would be nice to see the dwagons shine again. Demolishing 40% of the siege was nice, but we could use a bit more.

Beeskee wrote:After all, if you could remove the racism, genocide, and all the evil etc from Nazis, you end up with a group of people who value science, education, and physical fitness.

And you've removed their entire philosophical basis in the process.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby badninja » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Nice update now I wonder if they will meet up with the casters and get some more bonuses? Note much really going on except telling a fan favorite background person survived.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:57 pm

We're probably gonna see more dwagon badassery shortly. The garrison is a maze of choke points for maximum damage from AoEs. Chokepoints to be sealed with pink breath or cwap, buildings that will trap gas and smoke in. And shiny targets for the siege attacks. And what the yellows just did. They sent the whole Jetstone force running, large scale splash damage and siege, ect.
Lamech

Postby Decorus » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:08 pm

Warlord bonuses Stack if you put 2 or more Warlords in the same stack they both increase the stack. So when Wanda and Ansom were in the same stack everyone got Ansom's bonus and Wanda's Croakmancer leadership bonus for being decrypted.
Decorus

Postby Shusagi » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:52 pm

Decorus wrote:Warlord bonuses Stack if you put 2 or more Warlords in the same stack they both increase the stack. So when Wanda and Ansom were in the same stack everyone got Ansom's bonus and Wanda's Croakmancer leadership bonus for being decrypted.

But in that case, Wanda was giving a caster bonus and Ansom was giving a leadership bonus. We don't know for sure if warlord bonuses stack, since there hasn't been a single example in the comic yet.
Shusagi

Postby Swiftbow » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:57 pm

Krennson wrote:hmmm... so if I'm reading this right, max falling speed is constant across all objects?

it looks like the arrows only change speed during a few seconds at the top of their curve, then fall towards the ground at a constant rate.... which is also the same constant rate that dead dragons fall.

I wonder if arrows also RISE at a constant rate? either way, This is going to have wacky consequences for things like ballistic tables...

Max falling speed is constant across all objects in our world, too, by the way. I think it would be more shocking to discover that it WASN'T like that in Erfworld.
Swiftbow

Postby Smoker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Im pretty sure Vurp cant count past 10 either.
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
Smoker

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:48 pm

askafroa wrote:
gameboy1234 wrote:Hmm, some Hobgobwins don't talk? Interesting....

They have their own language that they speak among themselves but only a few speak Language in the sense of being able to communicate in the common language of most erfworld units.

Natural Allies such as Hobgobwins have their own languages, and only some units in a tribe speak Language.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/LIAB_Text_4

Ah, right. Thanks for pointing that out! :)
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Infidel » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:56 pm

joosy wrote:Curse you Sylvia, why won't you die???!!!

(just getting your goat, Bland :) )

Because Scarlet is Awesome?

cdrcjsn wrote:Okay, I give in.

Red is awesome.

Welcome to the club!
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions