Book 2 – Text Updates 040

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 040

Postby Trotsky » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:55 pm

niklinna wrote:
Trotsky wrote:
niklinna wrote:Uh...perhaps partially (since Rob likes to layer and compound his puns), but likely not primarily.

I was joking. In retrospect I should have added an emoticon in order to emote my intentions through icons. In fact, I will go back and edit one and claim it was always there so you will look foolish. HA, how about that! :twisted:

Don't make me power up my time machine.... :ugeek:

Actually, would you mind? Then you can go back and make sure I remember the smiley in the first place, and that would save us a lot of trouble.
BLANDCorporatio wrote:
DoctorJest wrote:"Wolves are like dogs, but dogs are like dogs, so therefore: kittens".

DoctorJest, if I weren't referentially married to my sig I'd use that instead.
Trotsky
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Sylvan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:00 pm

eilandesq wrote:What would a time stamp for Erfworld look like?

I wonder if the magic Kingdom has worked out specific things like "This is Charlie's turn, at the beginning of the day. This is Jetstone's turn, later on" etc.

It is likely more complex than this in some ways, but it might be a start.
Sylvan

Postby danhaas » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Humm, why isn't Isaac in the drawing? The man in the front is Carl Sagan. He isn't any of the casters drawn at the background either.

From Isaac's perspective, the Arkendish doesn't seem so focused on Thinkamancy... could it extend into Lookmancy as well? Thinking of it, the Arkenhammer also seems to extend into Rhyme-o-mancy as well.

And I can't read Isaac plucking Maggie's string without shivering a little. Specially a stamped string.
danhaas

Postby Avens » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:42 pm

Now I really want Parson to visit, just to hear the conversation he'd have revolving around 'playgrounds' and 'children'. That's right, castors. Parson has mastered and is familiar with the intricate workings of your apparatus. Stare in fear and awe.
Avens

Postby yuffiek » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Interesting that Thinkamancers tend to spend a lot of time in a spruced up sandbox ;)
yuffiek

Postby Lamech » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:08 pm

If Parson went into the play ground he would be the Giant in the Playground!
Lamech

Postby gameboy1234 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:13 pm

Not sure what to make of this update, other than GMTTA seems like it will help Parson. The description of the Thinkmancer's playground is whimsical and well done.

Lamech wrote:If Parson went into the play ground he would be the Giant in the Playground!

Wow, brilliant catch there. Not sure if it was intended by Rob, but still a really good perception on your part.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Zeku » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:20 pm

It's probably an artistic preference. Carl Sagan's hair is a little easier to draw than Isaac Newton's. Either way, these are not the actual people, but an Erfworld re-imagination. This is especially important in the case of characters like Zelda, who belong to a corporation. This character we're reading about is Isaac, and not Isaac Newton, or Asimov, or whatever.

Also, it's arbitrary to assume that there should be any correlation between the template character and what their Erf-interests are. Should the post have been about apples falling out of trees? Furthermore, remember that these thinkamancers are telepaths first, and not necessarily scientists. Zelda is once again, a good example.
Zeku

Postby BakaGrappler » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:30 pm

All I know is that Erfworld has so far been following the lines of Form preceding function, like the Bank and Slaughter houses Parson had to check on to "make sure they worked," and now we have a case of Function birthing Form. It is a complete reimagining of the purpose of the items enjoyed by children, but it was Function that brought them into being in Erfworld, and that is a rarity.

And also, if I was an Overlord I would definitely hire one of those female Thinkamancers in the background to serve my kingdom. Rawr.
Hey, have you read Shadows of the Evergreen? It's my ErfFic. People say it's pretty good over here, and who am I to argue? Check it out, and then tell me what you think of my hack writing.
Last Updated: 6/16/14
BakaGrappler

Postby DevilDan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:09 pm

Terrific fun. And you have to love the idea of playground toys as thinkamancy apparatus.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Oberon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:09 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Isaac ... Isaac ... action and reaction ... who could he possibly be a reference to I wonder ... ;)
Absolutely drawing a blank. But at least I have these delicious fig filled pastries to soothe my dismay at not being able to identify this character!
atalex wrote:I think it's Isaac Hayes. Whoever he is, he's obviously a bad motherbooper. (Shut yo' mouth!)
I'm 'jus' talkin' 'bout Isaac.
danhaas wrote:And I can't read Isaac plucking Maggie's string without shivering a little. Specially a stamped string.
Maggie's G-string, to be specific. :o

The most interesting thing to me in this update was this:
Book 2 – Text Updates 040 wrote:His work kept him occupied, but what had happened to the war? The real war. What had happened to the sense that events were in motion to change everything?

No-one spoke of it lately.

He supposed it was much like any other plan or scheme or Big Idea hatched here in the Magic Kingdom. The sideless and the helpless would talk excitedly for a while, then their plans would evaporate, never even to be mentioned again.
The Sideless, I understand. Who are the helpless?
This tends to explain why all of the possible tri-mancer spells are not known, if there is a lot of enthusiasm for ideas but not a lot of drive to follow through. Although Isaac himself seems to be an exception, as his research proceeds, even if only "slowly but surely."
BakaGrappler wrote:And also, if I was an Overlord I would definitely hire one of those female Thinkamancers in the background to serve my kingdom. Rawr.
The closest one on the merry-go-round might be the little mermaid. Or a non-aquatic female in a very impractical dress for playground equipment...
Last edited by Oberon on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby DuffTerrall » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:16 pm

Oberon wrote:The Sideless, I understand. Who are the helpless?

Probably the same people. If the Magic Kingdom has practically institutionalized neutrality than they would be rather helpless to change almost anything in the main part of the world. Could be part of why the conspiracies are such a huge deal - they go completely against the entire face that the MK has developed for themselves.
DuffTerrall

Postby Zeku » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:25 pm

Mentioning the "Helpless and Sideless" is actually a great idea. Though we don't like to think in these terms, in the real world the only people whose words and choices have any power are the ones with massive armies protecting them. We have social crusaders and innovators of all kinds that no one really cares about. Some are tolerated, and others aren't, usually based on how nice they are to other people.
Zeku

Postby Raza » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:41 pm

I lol'd into a cough when I reached the end of the update and saw that all the guy's instruments were playground equipment.
Raza

Postby Direcoyote » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:48 pm

Hrrm.... Giants (of thinkamancy) in the Playground? ><
*goes off and hides for that one*

Edit: Gurp >< Somehow I got the impression that Giant was used in there somehow.
Direcoyote

Postby Decorus » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:54 pm

Isaac Newton?
Decorus

Postby drachefly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:40 pm

Oberon wrote:The closest one on the merry-go-round might be the little mermaid. Or a non-aquatic female in a very impractical dress for playground equipment...

The dress is clearly that of Morticia Addams, as pointed out at the end of the previous page.

Who's the guy pushing the swing? Looks like Supreme Court justice Scalia.

Interesting that they haven't worked out pumping yet.
drachefly

Postby Dancingrage » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

A very highly interesting update and one that's very chock full of goodies. I look forward to seeing how this little event in the MK evolves.
Dancingrage

Postby atalex » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:22 am

drachefly wrote:Who's the guy pushing the swing? Looks like Supreme Court justice Scalia.

Let's bloody well HOPE not!
atalex

Postby zilfallon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:24 am

Avens wrote:Now I really want Parson to visit, just to hear the conversation he'd have revolving around 'playgrounds' and 'children'. That's right, castors. Parson has mastered and is familiar with the intricate workings of your apparatus. Stare in fear and awe.

Oh, that would be epic. Imagine the shocked look in Isaac's face :D
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions