Book 2 – Text Updates 040

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 040

Postby Hidden Sanity » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:31 am

Bah, I couldn't give a used fig if this Isaac is Newton or not.
Hidden Sanity

Postby Dr Pepper » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:33 am

Interesting. In my little story posted in response to the previous text update, i introduced a central conspirator named Isaac. And i described him as a thinkamancer with a strong secondary in mathamancy. Although that phrase wasn't used it looks as if this Isaac has that as well. Looks as if Rob and i are Great Minds That Think Alike.

Either that or we've gotten our gstrings tangled.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Sokrotes » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:12 am

Ok so its been a while since i posted, but have been a dedicated reader of this comic. So i just wanted to say, OMG, this was the best text update. What i mean by that is the way the scene is described then coupled with the picture is so perfect. Everytime i read the text updates i always save the picture till i finish the whole thing, that way i have the whole scene in my head and can pu an image to it, plus since its only one pic i like seeing exactly what part of the scene the artist/creator chooses, it helps me see where the story is going. Well as im reading this one and trying to understand the scene im getting my own visual of the scene. In my head i was picturing something like a tilt-a-whirl or something very high-tech. And then i see how it really looked. Seriously Rob, Xin you guys are brilliant! In Erfworld its this powerful incredible magic device. In our world, and in Parsons mind, its a swingset and merry-go-round.

I think it most likely will never happen but i supsect Parson might be able to use this if he ever used it. Every kid in our world can swing, but maybe its a hard to learn skill in Erfworld. Just like the idea of free will is a simple idea in our world, but its a hard to learn skill in erfworld, and Parson understanding this makes him very powerful.

... buuuuuuuutttt thats just me! :p
Sokrotes

Postby Sokrotes » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:30 am

Ok i posted that really fast befor i read through the rest of this Thread. Damn people really it's Isaac newton. He was considered the father of modern science. The theory of relativity, equal and opposite reactions. The only person in history to come close to his contribution to science was Einstein. Now If that Guy in the front is him or not i dunno, cause Rob hasnt visually confirmed if that is him, but even if it is he doesnt have to LOOK like Isaac Newton, he could look like one Isaac and think like Isaac Newton; Hence why his name is simply Isaac.
Sokrotes

Postby Azukar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:36 am

Well at least he didn't get hit with a falling apple in this update; that might've been a bit too much.

That said, I love the idea of the Thinkamancers' Playground more than I can say.
Azukar

Postby Azukar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:37 am

Hidden Sanity wrote:Bah, I couldn't give a used fig if this Isaac is Newton or not.

...Used how? :?
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby Sokrotes » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:39 am

Hidden Sanity wrote:Bah, I couldn't give a used fig if this Isaac is Newton or not.

...*sigh* then why bother reading this comic and posting? Ah well, to each his own i suppose. :|
Sokrotes

Postby HandofShadows » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:46 am

A playground! LOL Interesting about how Isaac looks to be trying to figure out how Erfworld works which is the same thing Parson is doing. Of course Parson is also trying to figure out ways to go around those rules. Which gives you even more information about the rules. Another great page!
HandofShadows

Postby Burt » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:04 am

Azukar wrote:Well at least he didn't get hit with a falling apple in this update; that might've been a bit too much.

That said, I love the idea of the Thinkamancers' Playground more than I can say.

Just thought I'd mention there was definitely an apple tossed in there:

"If only Charlie were one of the Great Minds. If only he Thought Alike."

I like the poke at iUsers quite a bit as well. Very nearly as much as the playground.
Burt

Postby Agaric » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:26 am

Burt wrote:Just thought I'd mention there was definitely an apple tossed in there:

I like the poke at iUsers quite a bit as well. Very nearly as much as the playground.

Wow, nice catch there!

Now for Charlie falling on their heads... :twisted:
Agaric

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:47 am

Sokrotes wrote:Ok i posted that really fast befor i read through the rest of this Thread. Damn people really it's Isaac newton. He was considered the father of modern science. The theory of relativity, equal and opposite reactions. The only person in history to come close to his contribution to science was Einstein. Now If that Guy in the front is him or not i dunno, cause Rob hasnt visually confirmed if that is him, but even if it is he doesnt have to LOOK like Isaac Newton, he could look like one Isaac and think like Isaac Newton; Hence why his name is simply Isaac.

I suppose sarcasm is a lacking commodity on the internet. People obviously knew that it was Isaac Newton and were joking around.

Sokrotes wrote:

...*sigh* then why bother reading this comic and posting? Ah well, to each his own i suppose. :|

In case you missed it, Hidden Sanity was making a pun on Isaac Newton and Fig Newton.
Last edited by Rob on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Postby Kaed » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:55 am

I find it incredibly interesting that a world utterly without the concept of children or playgrounds or probably even play to an extent has ended up creating such a location, for the purpose of something terribly serious no less. I usually have a habit of scrolling down and looking at the picture first in text updates, but I'm glad I did not this time. When Isaac described his amplifier devices I had no idea he was speaking of what were essentially playground toys. It was a real :o moment.

Isaac seems very wise and possibly old. I wonder if he is a very high level Thinkamancer, or just unusually talented. I also wonder if units even have aging in Erfworld. Do they live forever, barring croaking on the battlefield? They certainly never seem to age, instead popping as-is, all grown up.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby boegiboe » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:57 am

Agaric wrote:
Burt wrote:Just thought I'd mention there was definitely an apple tossed in there:

Wow, nice catch there!

I'm sorry, I don't get this one. Is "think alike" from an Apple commercial or something? I'm not getting any hits on the web, which is how I usually figure out TV references.
boegiboe

Postby Turtlewing » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:59 am

Honestly I hope it's Asimov not Newton.

Newton should be a Mathemancer. The man invented Calculus (or discovered, tough call with math), and lived long before the (short lived) days of parapsychology as a field of science. There's not much in there that says "Thinkamancer" to me.
Turtlewing
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Turtlewing » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:01 am

boegiboe wrote:
Agaric wrote:

Wow, nice catch there!

I'm sorry, I don't get this one. Is "think alike" from an Apple commercial or something? I'm not getting any hits on the web, which is how I usually figure out TV references.

The saying is: "great minds think alike".
It's used to say "you must be smart because you just said the same thing I was thinking", or "We like the same things, that means you have good taste" while sounding a bit less pretentious.

The Apple slogan was "Think Different". It might be one of the "layers" in the joke, but I doubt it's the main focus.
Turtlewing
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby SkarmoryThePG » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:10 am

Is it me, or is the guy front and center (Isaac?) the same one as the Thinkamancer who summons others to help untangle the Croakamancer-Dirtamancer link?

Adds a new layer to his recognition of Parson and willingness to help, does it not?
SkarmoryThePG
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:25 am

Turtlewing wrote:Honestly I hope it's Asimov not Newton.

Newton should be a Mathemancer. The man invented Calculus (or discovered, tough call with math), and lived long before the (short lived) days of parapsychology as a field of science. There's not much in there that says "Thinkamancer" to me.

With the many references to Newton's laws of motion in this text update, I find it highly unlikely for it to refer to anything else.

Plus, getting brained by an apple sounds pretty "Thinkamancer" to me! ;)
Rob

Postby Hidden Sanity » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:59 am

Rob wrote:
Sokrotes wrote:

In case you missed it, Hidden Sanity was making a pun on Isaac Newton and Fig Newton.

Don't forget I also quoted an earlier comic at the same time! :P
Hidden Sanity

Postby Turtlewing » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:30 am

Rob wrote:

With the many references to Newton's laws of motion in this text update, I find it highly unlikely for it to refer to anything else.

Plus, getting brained by an apple sounds pretty "Thinkamancer" to me! ;)

I agree, it's unlikely that my hopes are correct. That's why I didn't state them as any form of fact or theory (I can't back them up with evidence from the update).

As to the apple. It doesn't really strike me as all that strong a link. I mean he was "thinking" at the time, but that's pretty week compared with being credited with discovering the natural mathemancy behind gravity (the argument for Newton as a Mathemancer).
Turtlewing
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby joosy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:30 am

I predict a Mathamancer called Leibniz who is at odds with Isaac over some ideas. :)
joosy

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions