Book 2 – Text Updates 042

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 042

Postby BCCroaker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Augusto Pinochet? Is that because he made a lot of money disappear from Chile?
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby mmooneybsa » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:34 pm

Grenades :)
I don't talk on forums much, because I'll be a dick ;)
mmooneybsa
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby melhelix » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:40 pm

There is a gun on the table. :shock:
melhelix
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Sygerrik wrote:If this is the way Royalty acts, I'm glad they're going obsolete. "Nobility, honor, decorum;" none of that mattered when he was on top of the world, squishing all the little people. But now that Slately sees the writing on the wall he's trying to get in good with the Titans. Notice he still doesn't care for non-Royals-- discarding Ace, threatening disbandment for interruptions. He's just a sad little man trying desperately to hold onto his power. He'd rather die than be reduced to fleeing from a commoner. Slately is a fool and always has been-- and just like Earth history, "royalty" and "nobility" are just code words for subjugation of the weak by the strong and a system of divine right that exists only to perpetuate itself and wallow in its own corruption.

Someone's been safe-keeping their red book ;)

To nitpick, "nobility, honour, decorum" probably mattered when Jetstone was on top too. It's what cemented their stuck-up reputation. They had a very rigid set of customs on how to deal with things.

About him trying to hold on to his power, that is so obviously wrong so as to not warrant further comment. The bit about him dieing rather than fleeing from a commoner is also unfair, since Slately clearly finds himself less a ruler than Trem, so that is the honest reason.

The bit that really interests me is how in Earth history "nobility" and related concepts were code words for subjugation etc. It is correct, in the sense that royalty had to justify itself somehow. Amazing ain't it, that even in the darkest of ages, a kleptocratic elite felt the need to provide a reason for why they were on top. So they invented the notion that the upper class is morally superior, more virtuous, than the ruled. The sad fallout of that is that now words like "honour" are looked upon with more suspicion. It's one thing to believe that nobody is truly honourable, and another to believe that honour is a vacuous standard that never meant anything beside "and this is why my boot is on your neck".

Won't comment on how smart or strategically sound the suicide mission is, because saying it isn't seems fairly easy, and I've no stake to prove it otherwise.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby the_tick_rules » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:44 pm

Boy Slate is having a freak out isn't he? Hey at least now we know erf sides can transfer money.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby fjolnir » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:47 pm

In this update we learned something new about TBfGK, the city was never actually lost or completely destroyed, since the blue dwagon popped for the side the next day. This will probably be the final straw for Ceasar, unless the "Harsh terms" are also Harsh for him
fjolnir

Postby Guppy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:53 pm

Beeskee wrote:I imagine the "tight terms" are just what Transylvito needs to survive, probably things like the loan has to be repaid even if Slately croaks, etc. Tho the idea of them loaning or giving a spellcaster might be part of it.

Only problem is that, although valuable, a spellcaster also requires upkeep -- not good if you're spending yourself close to bankruptcy.
Guppy

Postby abb3w » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:54 pm

melhelix wrote:There is a gun on the table. :shock:

I won’t find it fantastic or think it absurd/
When the gun in the first act goes off in the third...
abb3w

Postby Raza » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:55 pm

Krennson wrote:Slately, you idiot!

make heroic last stands on your own time! dieing here might be glorious, but it won't help jetstone. Trammenis is probably higher level than you, and Jetstone will need every bonus they can get in this fight.

Won't it?

Trammenis decided to send the Casters with Slately, despite the fact that they would certainly be useful in his push against Wanda. Looks to me like he wants the site's most valuable and unique resources out of there as part of his strategy. I don't think anyone will disagree that he is one of those, and that given the choice between him and Slately Jetstone's remains would be better off with him.

Only problem for Jetstone I see here is that Slately will make no such call about their chances to win the day. He's set to fight, and set to lose, for dramatic reasons - losing the Chief Warlord bonus just serves to help justify this in strategic and game-technical terms.
Last edited by Raza on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raza

Postby splintermute » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:56 pm

the_tick_rules wrote:Boy Slate is having a freak out isn't he? Hey at least now we know erf sides can transfer money.

Can sides transfer money off turn? I can understand how it might be possible here because TV has Benjamin. Charlie, however, wasn't paying the archon bounty immediately - he was offering a credit, presumably to be used on discounts off Charlescomm goods and services, or to be paid out in schmuckers on Charlie's next turn.

Perhaps that's why Slately is trying to take out a loan with Don King rather than trying to collect the archon bounty - even if Jetstone killed all the archons, the money might not arrive in time to save Tramennis.
splintermute

Postby TheDarkOne » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:07 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Still, surprising update- not the development itself, this "twist" was a long expected. But that it occurred in a text update is what surprises me. Most text updates might be ignored, and someone could still understand the story, because nothing that plot-shattering happened in them. This though is big.

really? I don't read every reaction post but I hadn't seen it proposed in any of those I have read that Slately would do what he is now. Tram as CWL is one thing but Tram as KING is really a game changer. The narrow minded view of Slately and his favored sons has been something Parson and Wanda were always able to exploit. Tram however engages Charlie and even adopts Parson's tactics (mount switching for greatly extended move).
TheDarkOne
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Jeivar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Wait, refresh my memory (the updates are so far apart): Who is/was Holly Shortcake?
Jeivar

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:12 pm

TheDarkOne wrote:really? I don't read every reaction post but I hadn't seen it proposed in any of those I have read that Slately would do what he is now. Tram as CWL is one thing but Tram as KING is really a game changer. The narrow minded view of Slately and his favored sons has been something Parson and Wanda were always able to exploit. Tram however engages Charlie and even adopts Parson's tactics (mount switching for greatly extended move).

I'll not dig through all posts to find this exact scenario. However, the idea that Trem should be promoted to heir has been floated since that spell of ill repute.

Jeivar wrote:Wait, refresh my memory (the updates are so far apart): Who is/was Holly Shortcake?

The previous Dollamancer. It's also why, probably, Slately dislikes Ace.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby atalex » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:15 pm

I'd just like to point out how brilliant this turn of phrase is:

"So who cares if he's [Tramennis] a— If his Signamancy is less...than manly." Slately cleared his throat. "I certainly don't. Any more. He ought to lead."

It allows Slately to admit that his bias against Tram was the result of homophobia but without using the word "homosexuality" -- which is a word that logically should not exist in Erfworld since it is a world without procreative sex where sexual activity is purely for personal pleasure. Brilliant.
atalex

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:22 pm

atalex wrote:I'd just like to point out how brilliant this turn of phrase is:

"So who cares if he's [Tramennis] a— If his Signamancy is less...than manly." Slately cleared his throat. "I certainly don't. Any more. He ought to lead."

It allows Slately to admit that his bias against Tram was the result of homophobia but without using the word "homosexuality" -- which is a word that logically should not exist in Erfworld since it is a world without procreative sex where sexual activity is purely for personal pleasure. Brilliant.

And here I go to be contrarian. Because your interpretation is spot-on, were Slately an Earth character. But like you said, there's no reason why homophobia should exist at all in Erfworld. There's not even a clearly delineated notion of "regular" gender roles, for crying out loud!

So I'll interpret Slately as referring merely to Trem's less-than-imposing physique.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Krennson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:30 pm

fjolnir wrote:In this update we learned something new about TBfGK, the city was never actually lost or completely destroyed, since the blue dwagon popped for the side the next day. This will probably be the final straw for Ceasar, unless the "Harsh terms" are also Harsh for him

I don't understand your pst. Where did this text update reference the battle for gobwin knob?
Krennson

Postby Mikalyaran » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Best update ever.
Mikalyaran
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby badninja » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:58 pm

I say to little to late. What ever is left of Jetstone/TV is going to be a mere shadow of their former glory. At least Don King will have some strict terms and Tram will be able to live to fight another day. King Stately has sealed Ace's fate and I only hope that Ace joins GK. His former Dollamancer Holly is providing something interesting in now how did she die? we know it was in battle but vs who and why was she risked, I got a feeling that the answers have played and will play a part in how the battle ends. Rob you have done it again you have added another wrinkle to a story that soon could need a flow chart to explain how all sides are inter-related.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby mp122984 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:05 pm

Krennson wrote:
fjolnir wrote:In this update we learned something new about TBfGK, the city was never actually lost or completely destroyed, since the blue dwagon popped for the side the next day. This will probably be the final straw for Ceasar, unless the "Harsh terms" are also Harsh for him

I don't understand your pst. Where did this text update reference the battle for gobwin knob?

I think he's referring to this part:
Text Updates 042 wrote:"I know," said Don, raising a hand. "The city falls, and you'll lose the heir you're popping. You may not be able to do anything about that, though. You have to face the facts."

This seems to confirm that cities that count as destroyed don't pop units for their side. Hence, the blue dwagon shows that GK was rubble, but not destroyed. What interests me is that the update also implies that if a city is in the middle of popping a unit that takes several turns to pop, destroying that city causes the progress to be lost - you can't finish popping that unit in another city.
mp122984

Postby Utoryo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:12 pm

Awesome update. I wonder what Charlie is thinking right now if he is listening to this call... Then again, he might have other things on his mind with Parson about the enter the magic kingdom.
Utoryo
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions