Book 2 – Text Updates 042

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 042

Postby drachefly » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:00 pm

If you're reading Curvy and you see one of the commoners of candyland describe how her queen is looking especially regal in her licorice negligee, it's not ironic, just another feature of the setting. Same applies here.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Ansan Gotti » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:11 pm

drachefly wrote:If you're reading Curvy and you see one of the commoners of candyland describe how her queen is looking especially regal in her licorice negligee, it's not ironic, just another feature of the setting. Same applies here.

Irony is defined as, "the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning." Don King said the man looked regal, when in fact he looked the opposite (silly).
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:18 am

Ansan Gotti wrote:
drachefly wrote:If you're reading Curvy and you see one of the commoners of candyland describe how her queen is looking especially regal in her licorice negligee, it's not ironic, just another feature of the setting. Same applies here.

Irony is defined as, "the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning." Don King said the man looked regal, when in fact he looked the opposite (silly).

It doesn't look silly to Don.
drachefly

Postby Ansan Gotti » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:48 pm

drachefly wrote:It doesn't look silly to Don.

OK, well, maybe it wasn't overtly intended as ironic by Don, I will concede that is very possible. But it sure is intended to look ironic to us readers, IMO.
Ansan Gotti

Postby ftl » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Ansan Gotti wrote:
drachefly wrote:It doesn't look silly to Don.

OK, well, maybe it wasn't overtly intended as ironic by Don, I will concede that is very possible. But it sure is intended to look ironic to us readers, IMO.

Agreed.

I think it's entirely ambiguous whether in-comic, Tramennis is gay or not. However, I think it's clear that, for the *readers*, we're supposed to think he might be, for Earth reasons and not Erf reasons.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Sieggy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:12 pm

This is Erf - he's not gay, he's whimsical.
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby GaryThunder » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:22 pm

Really, if Erfworld societal norms follow Stupidworld societal norms as a function of time (they...sorta do), then bear in mind that during the castles-and-armies era of Stupidworld, there really was no such concept as a "gay person." The idea of someone being exclusively homosexual was just not even thought of. There were men, and there were weird men who were cryptic about how they spent their free time. The idea of a person being homosexual as a quality rather than just as an activity only really popped up in the last century or so.

Of course, I didn't read this whole thread, so someone probably already said all this.

Also? Effeminate =/= gay.

Edit: And I disagree with the characterization of Tramennis looking silly in his tankeroo. Yes, on one level he's in a hopping bouncing stuffed animal, gaily sashaying his way into the city. But consider also that he rides back in flush with victory over GK's column, and almost all of his silly-looking units are still standing. Gotta respect that even as you giggle behind his back.
GaryThunder

Previous

Return to Reactions