Book 2 – Text Updates 042

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 042

Postby Dr Pepper » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:22 pm

And even when the creators give us exactly what we expected, it is still surprising, awesome and satisfying.

Did anyone predict that we could come to the point of feeling a little teary for Slately?

So, in about 3 more comic updates, i see a length of piano wire appearing suddenly in Caesar's hand.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:29 pm

Dr Pepper wrote:Did anyone predict that we could come to the point of feeling a little teary for Slately?

Nope. Despite my best efforts, Slately has got only one unabashed fan. Me.

Dr Pepper wrote:So, in about 3 more comic updates, i see a length of piano wire appearing suddenly in Caesar's hand.

Really? I never knew Caesar had a musical bent.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby cdrcjsn » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:56 pm

Why do I get the sinking feeling that we'll never see what the "strict terms" of the loan are in this book?

Even with Trem wanting to ally or at least make a truce with GK, this loan might force him to come to Transylvito's side in a future conflict.

Anyhoo, great update.

I kept getting the image of a poor Slately coming to a mafia don and being made an offer that he can't refuse.
Visit my webcomic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Epic Fantasy Comedy. Familiar Point of View.
cdrcjsn

Postby gameboy1234 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:58 pm

Raza wrote:Only problem for Jetstone I see here is that Slately will make no such call about their chances to win the day. He's set to fight, and set to lose, for dramatic reasons -

This.

Tram wasn't going to fight, he was going to decide whether it was better to fight or evacuate himself. Slately is going to hand a bunch of new decrypted to GK. It's a dumb idea, not even for noble reasons. Slately could just let Tram have a free hand, but instead he's going to add emotional pain and tactical disadvantage to Tramennis's burdens.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Dante » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:00 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Really? I never knew Caesar had a musical bent.

I think, at the most, whatever piece Caesar produces will be short and staccato. :twisted:

I hope Rob's not twolling us with all these hints about Ace. It would be a shame to see his potential go to waste.
Dante
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby cdrcjsn » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:01 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
atalex wrote:I'd just like to point out how brilliant this turn of phrase is:

"So who cares if he's [Tramennis] a— If his Signamancy is less...than manly." Slately cleared his throat. "I certainly don't. Any more. He ought to lead."

It allows Slately to admit that his bias against Tram was the result of homophobia but without using the word "homosexuality" -- which is a word that logically should not exist in Erfworld since it is a world without procreative sex where sexual activity is purely for personal pleasure. Brilliant.

And here I go to be contrarian. Because your interpretation is spot-on, were Slately an Earth character. But like you said, there's no reason why homophobia should exist at all in Erfworld. There's not even a clearly delineated notion of "regular" gender roles, for crying out loud!

So I'll interpret Slately as referring merely to Trem's less-than-imposing physique.

But he was about to say "He's a ______________" before he reconsidered his words.

What word was he going to use?
Visit my webcomic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Epic Fantasy Comedy. Familiar Point of View.
cdrcjsn

Postby Dr Pepper » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:03 pm

Jeivar wrote:Wait, refresh my memory (the updates are so far apart): Who is/was Holly Shortcake?

Twin sister of Strawberry Hobby. She was Jetstone's dollamancer and her focus was big strong soft golems, such as battlebears and small fast glass units, such as tchotkes. After she croaked, JS popped a new dollamancer, Ace. Ace likes advanced weapons and machines. And he truly hates being required to follow his predecessor's designs. He'd rather make mecha than battlebears, but he has never been able to persuade anyone of the worth of his creations. That's why he hates Holly, even though he never met her.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby GaryThunder » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:16 pm

But he was about to say "He's a ______________" before he reconsidered his words.

Sissy? Pansy? Milquetoast? Plenty of words for a scrawny little punk like Tramennis. Note that even those that normally carry homosexual subtext in Stupidworld wouldn't necessarily do so here, so Tramennis could theoretically be called a "fairy" if indeed he resembles some Erf species that flits around and acts very effeminate.
GaryThunder

Postby atalex » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:21 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:

"So who cares if he's [Tramennis] a— If his Signamancy is less...than manly." Slately cleared his throat. "I certainly don't. Any more. He ought to lead."

It allows Slately to admit that his bias against Tram was the result of homophobia but without using the word "homosexuality" -- which is a word that logically should not exist in Erfworld since it is a world without procreative sex where sexual activity is purely for personal pleasure. Brilliant.

And here I go to be contrarian. Because your interpretation is spot-on, were Slately an Earth character. But like you said, there's no reason why homophobia should exist at all in Erfworld. There's not even a clearly delineated notion of "regular" gender roles, for crying out loud!

So I'll interpret Slately as referring merely to Trem's less-than-imposing physique.

That was my point. If Slately were a Stupidworld father complaining to someone else about his "less than manly" son, he would probably use some term that would sound at least somewhat homophobic to our ears. But there are no such terms in Erfworld, so Rob elegantly elides over whatever (probably offensive) noun Slately was going to use before he switched to "less than manly Signamancy." I found that very artful on Rob's part.

On Edit, this also:

GaryThunder wrote:Sissy? Pansy? Milquetoast? Plenty of words for a scrawny little punk like Tramennis. Note that even those that normally carry homosexual subtext in Stupidworld wouldn't necessarily do so here, so Tramennis could theoretically be called a "fairy" if indeed he resembles some Erf species that flits around and acts very effeminate.
Last edited by atalex on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atalex

Postby madmaw » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Just had to say that this was an absolutely brilliant update
madmaw
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Bunny never speaks? Except in people's heads? So any and all conversations Ceaser has had with Bunny have been in his head? I think there is a good chance he's crazy. Or an epileptic tree one of the two.

Two it appears that the king loved Holly. And Slately is actually trying to live up to his ideals. And while were talking about royal ideals Jillian does a good job of wrecking any moral standing they might have. Royals could claim they honor parley's except Jillian. Royals could claim that decryption is evil because it is brainwashing destroying people by wrecking their will ect. ect. Except for Jillian and her chief warlord.

And if the king loses this will mean he fight for GK. Interesting huh?
Really? I never knew Caesar had a musical bent.
Did you miss his whole dance fight scene? Although he certainly isn't bent about it; he probably is very proud of his musical skills. ;)
Lamech

Postby Oberon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:56 pm

I disagree. The word homosexuality should exist in Erfworld. It merely means a sexual attraction for the same gender. Erfworld has genders. What shouldn't (necessarily) exist in Erfworld is any stigma attached to homosexuality, for reasons I've expounded upon a few times before. Shortly, they are: No procreation and no Judeo-Christian religion teaching that sex is only for procreation. But it certainly appears as though Tram's behavior and appearance (signamancy) were intended to convey that he was a homosexual, and that his father found that disappointing somehow. Ossomer seemed to hold Tram in high regard, so I'm guessing that this was not a universal prejudice.
Krennson wrote:Also, we aren't absolutely certain that decrpyting a sitting king won't turn his entire nation over to wanda.
We don't know, but we have strong indications that it does not. Decryption has been to be seen as a slight upgrade to uncroaking. With the exception of retaining their memories, capacity for reason, and not decaying (they could still die of old age, as Erfworlders seem to do after some high number of turns) , there has been no other difference seen. Wanda uncroaked Banhammer, and that didn't get her the remaining FAQ units. It did hurt their morale quite a bit...
zilfallon wrote:
The King picked up some kind of odd green egg-shaped object with a ring at the top, and looked at it in the light of the room's sole orb. Useless. He placed it back down and pushed it away. Holly Shortcake would not have fabricated such things. She was such a delight.
Did Ace...make grenades? Ace is becoming awesome and awesome with each update. And he made a lightsaber too...

And I think that each update which tells us how Ace isn't liked, is foreshadowing of Ace becoming a GK unit and Parson using all his potential.
Hell, yeah! Parson has already speculated about having Sizemore make some kind of dirtamancy trap that can be dropped from a dwagon. From there to pitching hand grenades from dwagonback is just a short hop. I also see what looks like a bundle of dynamite with a fuse.
Sygerrik wrote:[...] Tramennis has only shown an aptitude for recognizing and fleeing from enemies in a superior position.
Hold on there a minute. I'm probably the chief proponent of the "Tram is an idiot" position, but even I don't misrepresent him like you just did. Tram told Ossomer not to help him out of the dwagon gum when that left Tram in a very vulnerable position. Most people would be screaming for people to help them out of that kind of an immobilizing effect. Tram did lead the heavies into the GK column and wiped it. Tram is now leading the "clear the way for the King" effort. Tram is no coward.
Last edited by Oberon on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Housellama » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:03 pm

GaryThunder wrote:

Sissy? Pansy? Milquetoast? Plenty of words for a scrawny little punk like Tramennis. Note that even those that normally carry homosexual subtext in Stupidworld wouldn't necessarily do so here, so Tramennis could theoretically be called a "fairy" if indeed he resembles some Erf species that flits around and acts very effeminate.

From Tram's own mouth. Last frame.

My money's on the homosexuality angle. I'm just sayin.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby cheeseaholic » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Damn, "love is a battlefield" is no joke. Jillian and Wanda and Ansom, Slatley and Shortcake, Don and Bea. The only sides involved in the fight without any love story causing it is Charlie and those rocker guys. Slately is of course using the excuse of nobility to charge into the fray while all he wants is to be rewarded in the afterlife with meeting his love. He's really completely dependent on being better than others. Probably a bit of the cliche short man complex. He's dealt with it the same was as Stanley too - promote the most dashing warlord to chief. Though I've always had the feeling that Stanley did that in part because he considered himself so good looking, so that was obviously a good way to choose warlords. Or at least he wanted to think that that was true.

I now hereby predict that Maggie will follow Parson without orders to try to keep Sizemore safe.

Also, I'm hoping that GK gets the healomancer. He should get along well with Parson, unlike that war loving phyco Ace. Cubbins would be nice, too.
cheeseaholic

Postby Decorus » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:57 pm

Sizemore is in no danger at all Janis seems to pretty much run the Magic Kingdom and she favours both Sizemore and Parson.
If that wasn't enough Maggie has the Thinkmancers backing him up so he owes them a favour that will be to dust Charlie.
The Predictamancers want Parson to do the job he is destined to do.
Sizemore is just a cog in thier machine and as such safe. He also rocks the Magic Kingdom on his own.

Slately finally took a level in Badass just in time to die showing ERFWORLD what a real Royal is all about.
Decorus

Postby Remetheus » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:06 pm

It'd be interesting to know Slately's reaction should he ever encounter Parson in person.

He's already read the dossier on Parson and discussed him a bit with Tramennis, but meeting him face to face... It might not apply here, but Slately seems to put a lot of weight into Signamancy and appearances. What would he think when he meets someone who simply towers over him? and everyone else for that matter.

I do wish Slately would at least bring along a few accessories.
Remetheus

Postby omgitsgene » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:22 pm

abb3w wrote:A worrisome thought wanders through my mind; a quick Google of the site doesn't turn up any sign of someone else making the connection.

Tramennis is (from remarks here and elsewhere) a bit bent; and his raiment is segmentata armor and sandals.

The passing resemblance to a major Boring-World military commander may imply that Parson could be facing a formidable opponent.

Image Image

Gaius Iulius Caesar's Commentarii de Bello Gallico is still studied by contemporary military strategists.

Actually, I think he looks a lot more like Octavius, who styled himself Augustus Caesar if I'm not mistaken.
omgitsgene

Postby Kender Wizard » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:42 pm

Huh. Even now, as Slately is seeing a hefty chunk of truth, he still remains blind to quite a bit. An excellent look on how people grow. One epiphany at a time I guess :lol: Also: grenades? guns? Along with the rockets we've already known about? If Parson sees that stuff (and Ace sees his reaction), we'll prolly see the quickest defection since Wanda from FAQ. I for one cannot wait. Hobgobwins with grenade launchers, mortars, and manpads (man-portable anti-air missiles) ftw :D Heck, I'd think the manpads would be most likely, as the three most dangerous sides to GK right now have strategy revolving around air units (Charlescom, FAQ, Transylvito)
Kender Wizard

Postby Urf » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:43 pm

The Grenade is FORESHADOWING.

I foresee devastation for GK.

Jillian to the rescue.

Also: Tram's a homo, and we need to find him a Blaine. Slately was in love with Holly. A Royal in love with a Caster is repetition at this point. Whatever terms the Kings agree to is going to piss Benjamin off. And is Sylvia Bea's daughter?
Urf

Postby Krennson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:50 pm

mp122984 wrote:
Krennson wrote:
fjolnir wrote:In this update we learned something new about TBfGK, the city was never actually lost or completely destroyed, since the blue dwagon popped for the side the next day. This will probably be the final straw for Ceasar, unless the "Harsh terms" are also Harsh for him

I don't understand your pst. Where did this text update reference the battle for gobwin knob?

I think he's referring to this part:
Text Updates 042 wrote:"I know," said Don, raising a hand. "The city falls, and you'll lose the heir you're popping. You may not be able to do anything about that, though. You have to face the facts."

This seems to confirm that cities that count as destroyed don't pop units for their side. Hence, the blue dwagon shows that GK was rubble, but not destroyed. What interests me is that the update also implies that if a city is in the middle of popping a unit that takes several turns to pop, destroying that city causes the progress to be lost - you can't finish popping that unit in another city.

not really. they're talking about Spacerock being captured, not destroyed. Captured cities do not produce units for their previous owners. that seems obvious. destruction isn't being discussed here, but we can go back to the battle of gobwin knob's finale for any questions about destruction.
Krennson

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions