Book 2 - Page 55

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby Swodaems » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:07 am

There are 3 pictures in Don's study which I find interesting. No way to know for sure without an update or Word of the Titans about it, but I think I can name all three people we see in those pictures.
First the girl seen behind Don's desk in panel 7&9 is Don's deceased daughter. (A bit disconcerting for me when I first saw her as it looked like random unit was floating around in a closed meeting.)
The aggressively posed, manly looking individual pictured in the upper left of pael 8 is Don's deceased son
(The details of both of Don's royal heirs can be found here.)
The regal woman in panel 13 decked in Unaroyal red and orange is Bea.

The presence of these images in Don's study says alot about the attention to detail that goes into the comic. The thought processes involved really show thru here.
The images also allow us to make some more insights into Don's character. Sadly, the only thought that comes to mind right now is that the picture behind Don's desk is a really odd portrait to keep around of one's own daughter.
Swodaems

Postby Ardmore W. Jeepers » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:22 am

I was just about to comment on the painting of Bea, but you beat me to it.

Don's looking very troubled now. Between Bea's sacrifice and now Slately's sudden desire to make a noble last stand, he must really be feeling like the clock ticking down.

This will be a crisis moment for Transylvito once Cesar finds out. How (or if) Don keeps his own side together will be interesting to see. Is Vinny at the capital, or is he still hanging out at Faq?
Ardmore W. Jeepers

Postby splintermute » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:28 am

Yay! I was right - you can't transfer money off turn without a moneymancer. And a hat.

It's possible for JS to repay the loan, if they survive, despite their losses, assuming they can collect on Charlie's bounty.

Also, Ben just disobeyed a direct order. Admittedly, he believes it's for the good of the side, but there don't seem to be any imminent exigent circumstances to allow a betrayal like this. Why hasn't he de-popped?
splintermute

Postby ADB » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:42 am

OneHugeTuck wrote:3. Man, the Arkenpliers are powerful. I wonder what we're not seeing about the Arkenhammer. Taming dwagons an shooting lightning doesn't seem to be at all comparable.

Funny, I was just wondering what we might not be seeing about the Pliers.

Think about it: we've seen a crapload of different powers manifested by the Hammer. Lightning, dwagons, rocking out, flying, and the more obscure stuff like turning walnuts into birds and vice versa. Yet we're only aware of the Pliers doing one thing, creating decrypted troops. That's really powerful, sure, but it's just one power. Similarly, the Arkendish seems to do a variety of things--unlimited thinkagrams, advanced thinkamancy, probably communications interception, definitely hacking secured comms (Eyebooks), removing some limitations on caster link-ups, etcetera.

So it makes me wonder what other powers the Arkenpliers might have that haven't been adequately discovered by Gobwin Knob. This might be an oversight on Parson's part, not to have more rigorously explored the issue of the Pliers.
ADB

Postby BakaGrappler » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:45 am

splintermute wrote:Yay! I was right - you can't transfer money off turn without a moneymancer. And a hat.

It's possible for JS to repay the loan, if they survive, despite their losses, assuming they can collect on Charlie's bounty.

Also, Ben just disobeyed a direct order. Admittedly, he believes it's for the good of the side, but there don't seem to be any imminent exigent circumstances to allow a betrayal like this. Why hasn't he de-popped?

Dis-banded.

And Transylvito really IS on the edge. They have lost a third of their warlords, are losing cities, and if they lose their treasury, they lose units to upkeep and that snowballs into losing more cities and warlords until they are annihilated. Mr. Cornrow Benjamin sees that, as will Caesar. I think Caesar will start shouting at Don about the situation, and since Bunny was there for the chat, I think she will talk Caesar down from an act of Regicide. In the end, I think the price for Transilvito's loan to go through, over the objections of the top heads of the military and treasury, will be cutting off Faq's money supply. Caesar will force Don to leave Faq high and dry after they've been revealed to GK.

And the symmetry of panel 1 and 2 is just incredible. It conjures to mind what is happening and the movement of the front lines. The long haired brunet in the back of panel 1 is also in the back of panel 2, so none are getting away from the advance. On a side note, I didn't know you could toss opposing units like that. Either the Leadership bonuses have become completely lopsided by that point, or that Stabber deserves a raise!

And I notice the hair color of Queen Bea...It's the same as Sylvia's...Am I reading too much into that?
An epic space opera where you fully customize your Captain's Background, Military Career, and Court Martial.
Will you prevent civilization from fracturing and win back your honor? Or betray the Empress' trust and plunder the galaxy?
BakaGrappler

Postby Zeku » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:58 am

The power of the pliers have been discussed in earlier threads. I think we can assume that the hammer and the dish can tame the appropriate unit types, even in a battle against them. So if Charlie fought Archons, he would instantly assimilate the enemy army. And, each arkentool, including the pliers, has the ability to slowly build up power over time by taming wild units.

The advantage of the pliers is there is no unit-type limitation, and no upkeep. The disadvantage of the pliers is that the unit has to be dead before it can be 'tamed,' and it is likely (not shown in the comic?) that positive effects cannot function on the decrypted, specifically healing, and morale bonuses, if they exist. (But they do get a bonus from the croakamancer)

There's no question that the pliers have some balance problems. If they were in a real game, they would need a nerf, in spite of the narrow circumstances under which they become overpowered.
Zeku

Postby wykstrad » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:49 am

Zeku wrote:The power of the pliers have been discussed in earlier threads. I think we can assume that the hammer and the dish can tame the appropriate unit types, even in a battle against them. So if Charlie fought Archons, he would instantly assimilate the enemy army. And, each arkentool, including the pliers, has the ability to slowly build up power over time by taming wild units.

The advantage of the pliers is there is no unit-type limitation, and no upkeep. The disadvantage of the pliers is that the unit has to be dead before it can be 'tamed,' and it is likely (not shown in the comic?) that positive effects cannot function on the decrypted, specifically healing, and morale bonuses, if they exist. (But they do get a bonus from the croakamancer)

There's no question that the pliers have some balance problems. If they were in a real game, they would need a nerf, in spite of the narrow circumstances under which they become overpowered.

Don't forget about the high probability that all Decrypted troops likely come with a Total Self-Destruct button that's triggered if the holder of the 'Pliers croaks.

The strategy against such a weapon is pretty simple- retreat until you have overwhelming odds, then commit all resources to the pliers-holder. That's basically what Jetstone did (albeit sloppily, filling the enemy ranks too much), and if not for Parson's exploit, they would have croaked Wanda, and probably taken care of a huge percentage of Stanley's forces. Parson wouldn't have any problem planning for a battle against the pliers.
wykstrad

Postby Althernai » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:06 am

Awesome update. The resolution is almost at hand...

splintermute wrote:Also, Ben just disobeyed a direct order. Admittedly, he believes it's for the good of the side, but there don't seem to be any imminent exigent circumstances to allow a betrayal like this. Why hasn't he de-popped?

Wanda says it early in the first book: "I'm allowed. I'm convinced it will lead to your destruction." It doesn't have to be imminent, the Commander type unit just has to be sure that the order eventually leads to catastrophe.

Actually, in retrospect, Stanley is incredibly lucky. Don has made a lot of sacrifices and he is now gambling his entire treasury on Jetstone, but this is a far cry from losing all cities but the capital and having an army that outnumbers your defenders 25 to 1 coming to the gates of the latter. However, the rebellion of Stanley's lieutenant took the form of obtaining a warlord that would win the battle for him whereas Don's appear to be on the verge of deposing him without understanding what is at stake.
Althernai

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:29 am

The tension, it grips.

First, Slately had a surefire exit. Yes, he did. If only he wouldn't have gone all emotional and decided to end it there. So ok, he ends it all and names Trem as heir by taking a loan from Transylvito- wait, maybe that loan won't happen after all!

'Tis great! Can't wait to see how all this will get resolved. Will Caesar discover his musical bent? Will Slately narrowly evade croaking? Will Ace turn?

BakaGrappler wrote:And I notice the hair color of Queen Bea...It's the same as Sylvia's...Am I reading too much into that?

Possibly. We don't have any clear indication that Sylvia is a Royal, so possibly the red/orange hair is a side-specific thing ... then again, Vanna is a blonde. Maybe orange was the colour of leadership for Unaroyal? Who knows.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Raza » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:09 am

I like how Antium's getting a stab at odious Lacrosse, who finally got his infantry fight and took the opportunity to lead from the back. The other details people have pointed out here have been enjoyable, as well.

I don't think Sylvia was a royal. Seems like something that'd have gotten a word in Book One, or when she introduced herself (as Lady Sylvia Lazarus, at that), or during the description of Bea's parley.
Raza

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:12 am

Raza wrote:I don't think Sylvia was a royal. Seems like something that'd have gotten a word in Book One, or when she introduced herself (as Lady Sylvia Lazarus, at that), or during the description of Bea's parley.

Quite, quite. We have clear indication she was not a Royal :P

Orange just might be a kind of NatSig for Unaroyal. The way beefy was for Jetstone.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Jay » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:02 am

OneHugeTuck wrote:1. Ha. Be discreet about digging a hole with a shovel!

2. Don won't rip his moneymancer's head off, but I wonder if he can rip Ceasar's off. That would be fun to see.

3. Man, the Arkenpliers are powerful. I wonder what we're not seeing about the Arkenhammer. Taming dwagons an shooting lightning doesn't seem to be at all comparable.

It also Rocks Out. It's a front-line weapon.. if Stanley leads troops into battle himself with it, it's very useful.

So why exactly was Benny able to refuse an order...?

Also, Transylvito isn't in immediate danger.. They're running low on funds, but they have no troops in the current engagement.
Jay

Postby Sieggy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:26 am

I would guess that the only casters in the Portal Park will be Those Who Think Alike . . . The Plot demands it. I like the contrast between Sizemore who is doing what he hates, following orders he fears will have terrible repercussions and Benny who fails to see what the Don sees. I think that it would be kind of cool if Jack were to go through to the PP Jetstone's portal to help mask what Sizemore's up to and distract anyone who's a potential threat. And having Jack & Marie meet again might also be revealing . . .

Now, my question is whether or not the Don can disband quickly enough to prevent Caesar from ganking him. Since he knows that Caesar is probably running with a low loyalty stat right now, he should be on guard against him. Also, since Bunny (by definition) is intimately aware of what both the Don and Caesar are thinking, where will she come down on this? It's distinctly possible she's the one upon whom these plots succeed or fail . . .

And I can't WAIT to see the expression on Sizemore's face when he sees who's waiting for him on the other side of the Portal! Relief, joy, WTF?!?!? And Parson's reaction ought to be priceless as well . . .
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby TheMutant » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:34 am

*bites nails* Be careful, Caesar! :(

My story-sense (which HAS failed in the past) suggests that Slately's plan has to go through, which means getting that loan one way or another. So maybe Caesar agrees (in a discreet manner, so that the blame for emptying the treasury falls squarely on Don, lending himself more support?), Don takes command somehow (also I'm thinking that we're seeing the Moneymancer's Duty kicking in- yes, he was given a direct order, but he feels too strongly that it'd hurt their side, so he needs independant confirmation that it's not going to ruin their boop), or Slately gets it from another source (Charlie being charitable in order to see a Jetstone ruler more amicable to him on the throne?)
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby The Black Hand » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:50 am

*delurk*

Does anyone else think that Don King could have handled that exchange with Benjamin better?

I mean, I can understand Benny's objections, but Don's reply to those objections seemed a bit . . . I dunno, weak.
The strength of our future lies in our past.
-VNV Nation

There is no instance of a nation benefiting from prolonged warfare.
-Sun-tzu, The Art of War
The Black Hand

Postby Selexor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:57 am

Let's not forget Vinny. He's loyal to the Don, not fond of Caesar, and knows better than anyone else the threat that Gobwin Knob poses, especially when led by Lord Hamster. I don't recall seeing him at the meeting, but he could have been out of frame... I do think it's likely that he's in the capital, though. Given that Don's becoming more picky about the value of Royalty, and Vinny is a noble, and he has to be somewhere...

If Caesar makes a move on the Don, I could easily see everyone's favourite Vampire stepping in to protect his king. Maybe earn himself a higher place in the Transylvito court, possibly at the expense of Caesar, which could have consequences later if Caesar isn't disbanded.
Selexor

Postby kagato23 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:01 am

Seeing as how the artist is reading in here, not sure if there aren't a few still on the buffer, but generally my undrstanding is when you make things like those partial pictures in frames, you have a full picture it's based off.

A "portrait's of Don's study" would make a neato background or bonus custom-sketch for the toolbox, if I could throw that out there.

Getting to the actual reactions of the page: It's definitely a catalyst moment. If Caesar is planning something, now's the time it's going to happen. Can't make a coup if your sides aleready doomed. The interesting question would be wher Ben sides.

Of course, another Ben helped orchestrate a rebellion against a king over financial issues...
Last edited by kagato23 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Portal X Parson OTP!
kagato23
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby badninja » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:11 am

I think that the Don is about to disband his caster. If he dies not Ceaser will start his coup and Erfworld will be in more serious boop. The Don is right that Jetstone will survive this battle, a whole lot weaker, but it will survive if Tram gets the promotion. With Parson showing up to Jetstone soon which captil is up for debate, Jetstone is in more trouble then it can handle. All this battle needs is another wrinkle and it looks like a nasty one is coming. Nice update Rob and Xin's art work is as always superb.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:55 am

I doubt Ben will start a coup. He claims to be Don's friend, and he looks like he wasn't from Translovito in the first place, so he is loyal to Don, not Translovito. While he might think Don is getting himself killed, he will try to stop that. A coup is completely counter-productive. Of course, a well placed suggestion? Might be different.

Two I like the second panel, it looks like pink-haired girl "turned". And sadly Adam Antium won't be shutting up Mr. Mustache for long.

3. Man, the Arkenpliers are powerful. I wonder what we're not seeing about the Arkenhammer. Taming dwagons an shooting lightning doesn't seem to be at all comparable.

The hammer is hugely powerful. It stopped Ceaser in his tracks with an AoE. You can forget about killing Stanley with melee units. The rock out gives a great bonus. And your underestimating the dwagon taming powers. If you have a viel dector you can use it to find lots of dwagons. With a relay you can cover a fairly huge number of hexes. Even if you keeping all the dwagons in one spot at each "end of turn" its about two thousand if you are stationed in the center of a large enough mountain range. Soo... ten dwagons. A turn. Harvestable so I'm thinking upkeeps not a huge problem at that point.
Lamech

Postby fehler » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:57 am

Swodaems wrote:Sadly, the only thought that comes to mind right now is that the picture behind Don's desk is a really odd portrait to keep around of one's own daughter.

I strongly disagree. The pose is one of strength, yet feminine. I almost expect her to be holding a bow, ala Artemis. Its not a "sexy, come hither, laying on a couch/bed" portrait. This is how a Warrior Princess stands.
fehler

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions