Book 2 - Page 55

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby drachefly » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:57 am

Yeah, Ben isn't getting disbanded, don't be silly. But he might do revolution, after his namesake.

... and Lamech, it's Transylvito. As in, Transylvania AND Sylvito's way.
User avatar
drachefly
 
Posts: 1594
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby cheeseaholic » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:11 pm

I find it interesting that some units don't have crests on their armor. Most notably the flying guy. Level 1s don't get crests?

Also, the light in the portal room seems a bit weird on Sizemore.
cheeseaholic
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby yuffiek » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:29 pm

If you really think about it, a lot of this could have been avoided had Queen Bea not wasted Unaroyal's treasury by upgrading everyone, then disbanding the side.

I guess Royalty will soon be Obsolete...
User avatar
yuffiek
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby Sixty » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:43 pm

In panel 1 and 2 I notice a decrypted with red armor and black trim instead of the other way around. I wonder if that has any significance. Maybe occasionally you get a "shiny" unit like in Pokemon, but I somehow doubt it. :D
User avatar
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:03 am
Location: Salisbury, Maryland

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby Raza » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:53 pm

Sixty wrote:In panel 1 and 2 I notice a decrypted with red armor and black trim instead of the other way around. I wonder if that has any significance. Maybe occasionally you get a "shiny" unit like in Pokemon, but I somehow doubt it. :D

The decrypted's color scheme seems to follow a certain formula in modifying the original. Presumably the red-chested unit was one of GKs original air force, decrypted from another site than Jetstone after an earlier battle.

yuffiek wrote:If you really think about it, a lot of this could have been avoided had Queen Bea not wasted Unaroyal's treasury by upgrading everyone, then disbanding the side.

I suppose if she'd been intimately aware of her allies' financial troubles and the harsh implications they would have in the nearby future, she might've decided differently, but the upgrades weren't wasted. She needed her garrison units outside the city so they would disband, rather than freeze in time for Wanda to decrypt as Gobwin Knob absorbed the city.

F'anything, it was Charlie that dealt the RCC this crippling blow. If he can ask a quarter million schmuckers a turn for ~10 archons for the Battle of the Gap, I can only imagine what it cost Ansom to hire twenty-eight in an accept-or-death situation (and presumably pay the penalty clause for losing every last one).
Last edited by Raza on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Raza
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 9:03 am

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby Konterfei » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:01 pm

Sixty wrote:In panel 1 and 2 I notice a decrypted with red armor and black trim instead of the other way around. I wonder if that has any significance. Maybe occasionally you get a "shiny" unit like in Pokemon, but I somehow doubt it. :D


maybe he's a red shirt
Konterfei
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:15 am

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby Crarites » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Hrmm, I see the situation a bit differently. To my thinking Ceasar is Don's man through and through. Don is creating a threat where none exists, its not Ceasar who would betray the Don but those who look to Ceasar for the reason why of the Don's side destroying decisions. I see everyone but Bunny shocked when Ceasar tell's Benny to obey the Don, non more then the Don himself. Thats not to say Ceasar will be happy with the order or won't be vocal about how poor a decision it is. The threat to Don king is real but the daggers are more likely from Bunny, Rosmerta and Dewy then Ceasar. Besides March 15th is on the way and won't it be interesting when the ladies must remove Ceasar due to his loyalty to the Don. Bunny could very easily keep Don King in thrall until the new heir pops.
Crarites
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:21 pm

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby atalex » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Crarites wrote:Hrmm, I see the situation a bit differently. To my thinking Ceasar is Don's man through and through. Don is creating a threat where none exists, its not Ceasar who would betray the Don but those who look to Ceasar for the reason why of the Don's side destroying decisions. I see everyone but Bunny shocked when Ceasar tell's Benny to obey the Don, non more then the Don himself. Thats not to say Ceasar will be happy with the order or won't be vocal about how poor a decision it is. The threat to Don king is real but the daggers are more likely from Bunny, Rosmerta and Dewy then Ceasar. Besides March 15th is on the way and won't it be interesting when the ladies must remove Ceasar due to his loyalty to the Don. Bunny could very easily keep Don King in thrall until the new heir pops.


Oh My Titans! If Rob has timed his updates so that Don King falls on March 15, I may plotz!
atalex
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby Kenlin Bros » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:33 pm

atalex wrote:
Crarites wrote:Hrmm, I see the situation a bit differently. To my thinking Ceasar is Don's man through and through. Don is creating a threat where none exists, its not Ceasar who would betray the Don but those who look to Ceasar for the reason why of the Don's side destroying decisions. I see everyone but Bunny shocked when Ceasar tell's Benny to obey the Don, non more then the Don himself. Thats not to say Ceasar will be happy with the order or won't be vocal about how poor a decision it is. The threat to Don king is real but the daggers are more likely from Bunny, Rosmerta and Dewy then Ceasar. Besides March 15th is on the way and won't it be interesting when the ladies must remove Ceasar due to his loyalty to the Don. Bunny could very easily keep Don King in thrall until the new heir pops.


Oh My Titans! If Rob has timed his updates so that Don King falls on March 15, I may plotz!


Knowing Rob's issues with schedules, I think we'd have to put any such coincidence up to chance ;)
User avatar
Kenlin Bros
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:03 am

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby CaesarVH » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:35 pm

What I want to know is:

Who is the mysterious lady in Red????? (Painting in Transylvito)

Please help me out here people!!!!

(EdiT) DUDE! almost forgot about the Idus of the Third!!!
Last edited by CaesarVH on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaesarVH
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby j_t » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:37 pm

OneHugeTuck wrote:3. Man, the Arkenpliers are powerful. I wonder what we're not seeing about the Arkenhammer. Taming dwagons an shooting lightning doesn't seem to be at all comparable.


They also tranform walnuts into pigeons.
j_t
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby Meiji_man » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:48 pm

There is another option to get Tram promoted to heir.
We can extrapolate that raising an heir costs at least 25000-30000 smuckers, (see Tram's conversation with Charlie).
There is at least enough archons floating over the city to provide that amount in bounty. (assuming kill, not capture).
If the loan doesn't go through, using the remaning arrows and spell charges in the tower to kill at least 6 decrypted archons will provide Jetstone with the funds to promote Tram.
Meiji_man
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:34 am

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby name lips » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:24 pm

It seems to be a myth -- or misunderstanding -- that units automatically disband if they disobey a direct order.

It looks like transfering Schmuckers isn't a trivial matter. You apparently can't, as a ruler, just declare "I hereby transfer 10000 Schmuckers to Jetstone."

Do Schmuckers even have a physical manifestation? Are they actual coins you can pick up and manipulate? Or are they an invisible, abstract "stat" belonging to a Side? Perhaps you can only physically move around gems. And gems, once turned into Schmuckers, are intangible and unmovable. That would be why Don isn't just pouring some Schmuckers into a Hat to transfer them -- they don't exist. Whoever owns the treasury has access to them, and that's it. Maybe most sides keep some Gems lying around un-Schmuckered so they have something to trade.

But a Moneymancer... can turn Schmuckers back into gems, so they can be transferred from Side to Side. Maybe Transylvito never keeps Gems lying around -- why would they, since Benny can just make gems whenever he wants? Part of the benefit of having a Moneymancer around, you don't have to worry about things like that.

I'm betting he can make a gem of any value, subtracting Schmuckers from the treasury and "pouring" them into a gem. This is a magical world, so I don't see any reason why a gem would have to be larger to be worth more Schmuckers. Just toss it into a Hat, and you can transfer it to a Hat owned by a different Side. Then their ruler can turn the gem back into Schmuckers again.
name lips
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby kagato23 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Yeah. Not to contrast this comic with another in anyway (I'd clarify I love both), this is not MSpaint adventures. Erfworld does not really look at Earth dates to determine Erf activity. I agree that it would be a nice touch, but I think we might be reading too much into upcoming dates.

Then again, Rob did say he was building a script buffer a while back, so who knows. Now that the idea is in my head, I know I'll check despite my doubts. :P
Portal X Parson OTP!
User avatar
kagato23
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:29 am
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby gukolai » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:46 pm

Man I love how Franklin is rock that pimp suit :D
gukolai
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby joosy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:52 pm

CaesarVH wrote:What I want to know is:

Who is the mysterious lady in Red????? (Painting in Transylvito)

Please help me out here people!!!!

(EdiT) DUDE! almost forgot about the Idus of the Third!!!


as has already been pointed out - given the royal nature and orange/red color scheme the most likely candidate is the late Queen Bea
joosy
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:30 am

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby raphfrk » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:06 pm

name lips wrote:It seems to be a myth -- or misunderstanding -- that units automatically disband if they disobey a direct order.


Officers can disobey if obeying will lead to the ruin of the side. Wanda did it right at the start of book 1.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 am

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby ftl » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Raza wrote:I suppose if she'd been intimately aware of her allies' financial troubles and the harsh implications they would have in the nearby future, she might've decided differently,


I think at the time, her allies *weren't* in financial trouble. Jetstone lost all its money in the course of GK's campaign against them - which only started after Unaroyal fell. Transylvito's financial troubles are entirely self-inflicted, by giving away all their money to FAQ, and while Don thought FAQ was a good investment he wouldn't think they have money troubles. (IF Jillian were trustworthy, they wouldn't be in this trouble - they'd have spent their money on a powerful allied airforce. As it turned out, they spent their money on a flake, but that wouldn't have been clear at the time of Unaroyal's fall.)

But yeah, Charlie probably screwed the RCC more than anyone around except Parson.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby Decorus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:38 pm

Ben is in no danger of being disbanded.

1. As a caster he is too valueble to lose.
2. His actions are appropriate given thats pretty much all that is in thier treasury.
3. If Don disbands him he won't get what he wants anyway.
Decorus
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Book 2 - Page 55

Postby Krennson » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:46 pm

name lips wrote:It seems to be a myth -- or misunderstanding -- that units automatically disband if they disobey a direct order.

It looks like transfering Schmuckers isn't a trivial matter. You apparently can't, as a ruler, just declare "I hereby transfer 10000 Schmuckers to Jetstone."

Do Schmuckers even have a physical manifestation? Are they actual coins you can pick up and manipulate? Or are they an invisible, abstract "stat" belonging to a Side? Perhaps you can only physically move around gems. And gems, once turned into Schmuckers, are intangible and unmovable. That would be why Don isn't just pouring some Schmuckers into a Hat to transfer them -- they don't exist. Whoever owns the treasury has access to them, and that's it. Maybe most sides keep some Gems lying around un-Schmuckered so they have something to trade.

But a Moneymancer... can turn Schmuckers back into gems, so they can be transferred from Side to Side. Maybe Transylvito never keeps Gems lying around -- why would they, since Benny can just make gems whenever he wants? Part of the benefit of having a Moneymancer around, you don't have to worry about things like that.

I'm betting he can make a gem of any value, subtracting Schmuckers from the treasury and "pouring" them into a gem. This is a magical world, so I don't see any reason why a gem would have to be larger to be worth more Schmuckers. Just toss it into a Hat, and you can transfer it to a Hat owned by a different Side. Then their ruler can turn the gem back into Schmuckers again.


If you can't just transfer schmuckers to someone, how do people pay charlie? Jillian spent most of her purse buying a thinkagram from charlie once...

And I think that any caster can create gems: all parson has told us is that it costs 'juice' to create a a gem, not that it requires a moneymancer.

If only moneymancers can create gems, and only gems are tradeable, then most sides wouldn't be able to pay charlie, and jetstone wouldn't be able to pay transylvito back; jetstone doesn't have a moneymancer.


I'm not certain why Don needs a gem at all.... maybe he wants to avoid the possibility that jetstones treasury will fall to Gobwin Knob in the next five minutes, taking any direct transfer with it?
as for why he's asking a moneymancer to make the gem, instead of just having bunny do it, presumably preserving a thinkamancers juice is more important, and as the kingdom 'accountant', it's considered polite to involve Ben in all financial matters anyway.

And remember, since Transylvito is allied with jetstone, it's still their turn at the moment... none of this is happening off-turn for them.
Krennson
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:27 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests