Book 2 – Page 56

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby Sygerrik » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:36 am

Man, I'd love to see a Caesar-led TV ally with the Toolists against Jillian and the other Royals. I don't think it'll happen, because of the way the comic has been structured so far-- but I would really love it. I have always suspected that the climax conflict of the series will be Parson vs. Wanda, and I can see the Transylvitians allied with Wanda at that point...

In any case, I'm all for Don King going. His strategic decisions have just been awful. I think it would be neat if Caesar takes the throne and then the Royal heir pops. He's Loyal to Caesar, and probably brave and a good fighter, but Caesar killed his father and someday he'll find out. Of course I would still root for Caesar, since I think Royalty is a terrible idea, but it's an interesting plot wrinkle.
Sygerrik
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby opal » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:38 am

Berserkas wrote:
Arlon wrote:He IS heir designate (see summer updates) and he is NOT royal: he is Viscount of Vitalis: a mere noble. He WOULD be overlord.


Doesn't Noble count? Only Royal sides can pop Nobles, after all.


I think when nobles become rulers they are styled as Regents. Like the Hyatt Regency mentioned in the one of the text updates.
opal
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby Raza » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:40 am

Berserkas wrote:
Arlon wrote:He IS heir designate (see summer updates) and he is NOT royal: he is Viscount of Vitalis: a mere noble. He WOULD be overlord.


Doesn't Noble count? Only Royal sides can pop Nobles, after all.

So far, we've only seen the distinction between overlords and kings/queens.

There's a regency somewhere, but that seems like it'd be contingent on the overlord's dedication to get another royal on the throne eventually, not so much their nobility.
User avatar
Raza
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 9:03 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby Ansan Gotti » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:57 am

Sygerrik wrote:I think it would be neat if Caesar takes the throne and then the Royal heir pops. He's Loyal to Caesar, and probably brave and a good fighter, but Caesar killed his father and someday he'll find out. Of course I would still root for Caesar, since I think Royalty is a terrible idea, but it's an interesting plot wrinkle.


Ooh! I like how you think. :)

I also like boegiboe's comment, about the stereotypical baddies (gobwins and vamps) against the stereotypical goodies (blond prince and princess).
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:45 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby cheezewizz2000 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:07 pm

Today is obviously the day for moody headshots. Xin, your art is awesome. Rob, your story is art. I wonder how good Parson is with a sword. He has no stats so are his attacks better or worse because he'll have to rely on skill rather than numbers? I think if I were him I'd have spent some time after BfGK practicing against pikers...

Question: a Stupidworld martial artist plots to Erfworld. How good is he in combat? Is he better than Parson, or as good because they both have no stats? I can't wait to see if one of Parson's friends comes in to answer that question. Ashna looked athletic, do you think she practices karate or something?
cheezewizz2000
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby MattX » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:24 pm

Typo in panel 9

IS: "Thown away."
SHOULD BE: "Thrown away."
MattX
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby the_tick_rules » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:26 pm

Parson is so fatalisitic about this. Oh and transyl is about to have one heck of a rebellion huh?
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
User avatar
the_tick_rules
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby Lamech » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:29 pm

Berserkas wrote:Doesn't Noble count? Only Royal sides can pop Nobles, after all.
We have no idea what title that would give you. We DO know that pre-decryption Ansom would have been fine with a noble overlord; he put value on nobility NOT royalty.
Infidel wrote:Xin's art continues to improve and impress. Panel 5 is probably the most impressive picture of Parson yet. He truly looks like hes not playing games anymore. There were some other panels on other updates too where he showed his serious self, but this one seems the most powerful yet.
I agree Xin is getting better and better.
Lamech
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby nth » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Sygerrik wrote:Man, I'd love to see a Caesar-led TV ally with the Toolists against Jillian and the other Royals. I don't think it'll happen, because of the way the comic has been structured so far-- but I would really love it. I have always suspected that the climax conflict of the series will be Parson vs. Wanda, and I can see the Transylvitians allied with Wanda at that point...


My own pet theory is that Parson is going to lead his side to the point of absolute victory... and then realize that he's been helping the wrong side all along. I can see that putting him at odds with Wanda.

Sygerrik wrote:In any case, I'm all for Don King going. His strategic decisions have just been awful. I think it would be neat if Caesar takes the throne and then the Royal heir pops. He's Loyal to Caesar, and probably brave and a good fighter, but Caesar killed his father and someday he'll find out. Of course I would still root for Caesar, since I think Royalty is a terrible idea, but it's an interesting plot wrinkle.


Rob is certainly capable of pulling that off well. My only problem with that theory (or any theory about the plot of the book) is that while Rob is capable of pulling of the same quality of plot and characterization as -- for instance -- George R.R. Martin -- I'm not sure he can match Martin's blistering pace of production.

But then, I suppose Neil Gaiman's comments apply equally well here...
nth
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:43 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby Catalyst » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 pm

I still think people are jumping on the "rebellion" idea waay to quickly. Caesar does not really look like he is trying to lead a rebellion, he hesitates in the second to last panel because he does not want to disband, he just speaks his mind (which is why he was promoted in the first place), which keeps pulling favor from Don to himself, almost on accident. It has always seemed to me that he is just frusterated with Don's choices. This does not automatically mean he is planning a rebellion. I think most people assume he is planning a coup (both readers and the other generals on his side), but i really do not think he is. And just because everyone says they will stand with Caesar on this decision about the Gem does not mean "we will attack and kill Don so you can lead."
Loyalty does not mean you always agree, or does it keep you from speaking your mind. Quite the opposite in fact. And just because Caesar is speaking his mind does not mean he is disloyal.
"Is this a real holy war? Or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other? Too fine a distinction?"
Catalyst
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby Ansan Gotti » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:53 pm

nth wrote:My only problem with that theory (or any theory about the plot of the book) is that while Rob is capable of pulling of the same quality of plot and characterization as -- for instance -- George R.R. Martin -- I'm not sure he can match Martin's blistering pace of production.


I'm sorry, but this has got to be snark, right? (And for the record, I love GRRM.)
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:45 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby opal » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:55 pm

nth wrote:But then, I suppose Neil Gaiman's comments apply equally well here...


I don't get it. What Neil Gaiman comments? How do they apply?

Maybe Charlie will step in and offer to hire Translyvito to fight Gobwin Knob? He wants the RCCII to win.
opal
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby GaryThunder » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:21 pm

I still think people are jumping on the "rebellion" idea waay to quickly. Caesar does not really look like he is trying to lead a rebellion, he hesitates in the second to last panel because he does not want to disband, he just speaks his mind (which is why he was promoted in the first place), which keeps pulling favor from Don to himself, almost on accident. It has always seemed to me that he is just frusterated with Don's choices. This does not automatically mean he is planning a rebellion. I think most people assume he is planning a coup (both readers and the other generals on his side), but i really do not think he is. And just because everyone says they will stand with Caesar on this decision about the Gem does not mean "we will attack and kill Don so you can lead."
Loyalty does not mean you always agree, or does it keep you from speaking your mind. Quite the opposite in fact. And just because Caesar is speaking his mind does not mean he is disloyal.


Caesar is about to walk into a room to tell Don that he has just convinced Benny to disobey a direct order, knowing full well that Don has been subtly trying to get rid of him or get around him (via the heir) and is on a Royalist crusade, and he'll have the other warlords behind him. Is there any way this can't end in violence?
GaryThunder
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:32 pm

opal wrote:
nth wrote:But then, I suppose Neil Gaiman's comments apply equally well here...


I don't get it. What Neil Gaiman comments? How do they apply?


This comment-



Or something like that, basically. I may have remembered some words wrong ;)
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
User avatar
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby atalex » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:34 pm

I am disappointed that due to the slow pace of production, Rob was unable to get this out last week so that the Transylvito situation could come to a head on the Ides of March.

As for the interminable delay in Parson entering the MK. I expect at least one more update dealing with what Sizemore discovers when he arrives prior to the big guy finally going through ... and then at least three months to cover the time it takes him to do the 100 yard dash.:)
atalex
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:38 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:I'm thinking shark loan from Charlie... but we'll have to see. I bet Slately doesn't fight at all, but stays in the tower, all depressed and stuff. With Lady Sylvia and the dwagons hitting the tower, it'll only be a matter of time before he croaks. Charlie will have to make the loan, or he'll see another potential ally lost to GK.


At the risk of getting some other argument going, I'm really expecting Trem to pull through. He's just too interesting, and it would be a bit of a waste, imo, to have him join Parson's side just yet. So until Trem can carry the Jetstone crown, Slately is implicitly safe. With a loan from Charlie, he'll freely be able to realize that Ace's hardware is useful after all, and use the grenade to leave no decryptable corpse.

atalex wrote:I am disappointed that due to the slow pace of production, Rob was unable to get this out last week so that the Transylvito situation could come to a head on the Ides of March.


Indeed, a pity. But hey, just one joke down the drain, which would have been irrelevant when the book was published anyways.

What I'm curious to see is what will greet Parson on the other side. I'm just not expecting him to go through MK uneventfully.
Last edited by BLANDCorporatio on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
User avatar
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby Neuromancer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Caesar. Caesar, my man. You're resorting to the clip-on bowtie? *tsk*

WRT Neil Gaiman--he weighed in on GRRM's slow progress on "A Dance with Dragons"--which will come out this summer, hooray!--in the following way:

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/e ... ssues.html
Neuromancer
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:41 pm

Neuromancer wrote:WRT Neil Gaiman--he weighed in on GRRM's slow progress on "A Dance with Dragons"--which will come out this summer, hooray!--in the following way:

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/e ... ssues.html


I was reverse-ninjaed :P
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
User avatar
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby GaryThunder » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:48 pm

Cut Caesar some slack, his side is crumbling around his pointy ears and his Ruler is throwing everything away out of sheer obstinacy. Man doesn't have time to manually tie a bow tie given all this nonsense.

Besides, if it was a manual tie, then we couldn't see it dangling undone so artfully, it would just be a strip of cloth.
GaryThunder
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 56

Postby HandofShadows » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:11 pm

Parson has put on his dead seriouse face. Jetstone is in HUGE trouble. The Don is in as big a trouble as Jetstone. The Royals are in for a bad day no matter how you look at it.
HandofShadows
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arbo, Brucester and 7 guests