Book 2 – Page 57

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 57

Postby the_tick_rules » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:40 am

Curious design of the park, seems like the portals are just randomly placed anywhere.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby badninja » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:46 am

Nice, I know both the grand abbey and the predictamancer know what Sizemore is doing and how they wish to help him. There just seemed something off about this comic to me, I cannot place a finger on it and I feel it is important. With the thinkamancers also soon to be in route will they accidentally screw up the plan or allow for it to succeed? I have had an inkling that thinkamancers could have an ability to fool minds on a mental level, sorta like Jack can but with greater risks (think a Jedi mind trick).

Now that Sizemore is doing this how will the MK react to what is going to happen? Two major groups are breaking some of the oldest precieved rules in the game to help on side. One group is doing it to fulfill peace in Erfworld, the other to screw over Charlie who is a major unknown to them. Why do I feel that at least one of these groups is seriously underestimating the actual senerio. Charlie is the biggest wild card in this plan as not only why he has made some powerful enemies, that are not Parson, but this group is not thinking if he could intercept their messages and possibly decode them. Something has to go wrong shortly for GK they have been handing Jetstone is ass a little to long here. I see Charlie launching a surprise attack very soon.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:58 am

badninja wrote:Something has to go wrong shortly for GK they have been handing Jetstone is ass a little to long here. I see Charlie launching a surprise attack very soon.

Clearly, what's going to happen is that Janis and Marie are going to lead Sizemore to the wrong portal. Parson will never make it to Jetstone!

CNagy wrote:Gobwin Knob has a bank and a slaughterhouse because Gobwin Knob is a city, and cities have banks and butchers. Seems signamancy is still the best answer.

Beeskee wrote:Like I said, I think you are right about the Signamancy. :)

Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to seem like I was arguing against myself there.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby cheeseaholic » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:02 am

Slight problem in panel 10. The color of the portal seems to be bleeding past the panel box. Just a bit of yellow.
cheeseaholic

Postby joosy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:17 am

No one in particular wrote:Ha! I KNEW it!

The fourth known arkentool is the thing that supports the portal system for the magic kingdom! I mean, allowing for instantaneous travel and bypassing move, turn and hex restrictions? That's TOTALLY 'tool level power, that is!

Heh. Keep in mind though that they are not crossing any zone boundaries. That is the key thing to remember. It is a portal from hex to hex and allows you to bypass zone boundaries but similar rules of turns, move, etc. still apply.

From what we have seen of casters moving through the Magic Kingdom off-turn, I can only assume that the Magic Kingdom is one big hex.
joosy

Postby Beeskee » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:22 am

HandofShadows wrote:"Mind the Gap". Don't think it's a London Underground reference. More like Portal one.

Knowing Rob, it's probably both, plus some other references we didn't get. lol.

Edit: OMFG LOL Mind the Gap Five people decide to take huge risks in an effort to find happiness.
Last edited by Beeskee on Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:26 am

joosy wrote:Heh. Keep in mind though that they are not crossing any zone boundaries. That is the key thing to remember. It is a portal from hex to hex and allows you to bypass zone boundaries but similar rules of turns, move, etc. still apply.

From what we have seen of casters moving through the Magic Kingdom off-turn, I can only assume that the Magic Kingdom is one big hex.

... one big hex that can be entered and left at any time, regardless of whose turn it is, or how much move you have, and allows access to other hexes that are in no way adjacent. The regular rules of turn and move totally don't apply!
---
No one in particular

Postby Oberon » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:56 am

Atomic wrote:One step closer to seeing Parson enter the Magic Kingdom!!
One step, and about 3 months. Not complaining, just observing.

Sizemore is my favorite caster. Jack has style, Wanda has "spooky and powerful and hot and OBEY ME" going on, Maggie has cool, solid, and somewhat ruthless competence, and the various bit casters all have points in their favor. But Sizemore is the calm, unassuming, even meek guy. Who can totally blow you up with a crap golem bomb, destroy an entire army of "the best infantry" with traps and golems, or just walk dejectedly along, chatting with a couple friends, while simultaneously (and unbeknownst to them) carrying out the order which has made him dejected in the first place.
Last edited by Oberon on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Lamech » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:56 am

Doesn't portal park have empty "portals" at its borders with the forest? I wonder if those are something that allows off-turn movement. They should have enough turnamancy to allow people to move freely through the MK off-turn.
I see Charlie launching a surprise attack very soon.
A surprise attack against a kingdom full of predictamancers and lookamancers, and also commanding the most powerful super-weapons on erf (links)? I have some improvements to this battle plan. One: invade Russia in winter after equipping your forces in swimsuits.
Lamech

Postby x1372 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:14 am

... am I the only one who looks at that tunnel and sees this happening?

(WARNING: swearing. and worse if you look at later comics.)

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/sweetbroandhellajeff/

Sizemore warned you about stairs bro! He told you dog!
x1372

Postby No one in particular » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:17 am

x1372 wrote:Sizemore warned you about stairs bro! He told you dog!

It keeps happening! D:
---
No one in particular

Postby abb3w » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:03 pm

MonteCristo wrote:
fjolnir wrote:Also Allseeing eye #2 on Marie's hat, and a scarlet witch sighting.

We also got Dr.Strange, Zatanna, Lulu, Celia, wicked Witch And Doctor Manhattan... and probably a few others that i can't recognize off hand
Dear god what kind of mancer could Manhattan be? I'd say retconjuration but there are no such mancers i believe... Changamancy perhaps? possibly predictamancy...

In panel 9, by the orange portal looks to be (going by color scheme) George Harrison, although in a Sergeant Pepper uniform rather than Magical Mystery Tour outfit. Presumably a Rhyme-o-mancer, though possibly another Hippiemancer of some type.
abb3w

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:07 pm

We can finally see Marie's eyes clearly, and they're normal Erf eyes, not the special pupil-FAQ eyes... is this important?
WaterMonkey314

Postby FeatherFluster » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:18 pm

I love knowing the references but rarely get any, so here's a summary of the references noticed for characters in this page that have not been named yet.

Panel 1:
* Scarlet Witch (Marvel Comics) (credit: fjolnir)
Panel 2:
* Scarlet Witch
Panel 3:
* top - Scarlet Witch
* left center group, left - Celes Chere (Final Fantasy VI) (credit: Zeku)
* left center group, center - ExDeath (Final Fantasy V) (credit: Red Piker)
* left center group, right - Lulu (Final Fantasy X) (credit: MonteCristo)
* left bottom - ?
* right center - ?
Panel 9:
* left top - Zatanna Zatara (DC Comics) (credit: MonteCristo)
* right top group - ?
* center (above Sizemore group) - Doctor Strange (Marvel Comics) (credit: MonteCristo)
* left center - George Harrison (The Beetles) (credit: Splexis)
* left bottom - Wicked Witch of the West (The Wizard of Oz) (credit: MonteCristo)
Panel 12:
* left top - Dr Manhattan (Watchmen) (credit: MonteCristo)
* center top - ?
* right top - Jeannie (I Dream of Jeannie) (credit: fjolnir/MonteCristo]
Panel 13:
* leftmost - Scarlet Witch?
* left of center - Zelda (Legend of Zelda) (credit: fjolnir)
* center - Dr Strange
* right of center - George Harrison

Not sure who "Celia" is that MonteCristo mentions, "Celes" meant?
FeatherFluster
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby wykstrad » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:24 pm

FeatherFluster wrote:
Not sure who "Celia" is that MonteCristo mentions, "Celes" meant?

Celia is a magical being (don't remember exactly what type) from Order of the Stick, the D&D webcomic that hosted Erfworld Book 1 on its site and is responsible for bringing a ton of the initial readers to Erfworld.
wykstrad

Postby Sam Nanti » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Also, it seems casters know instinctively which portal belongs to whom; since none appear to be marked in any fashion.
Sam Nanti

Postby FeatherFluster » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:49 pm

wykstrad wrote:Celia is a magical being (don't remember exactly what type) from Order of the Stick, the D&D webcomic that hosted Erfworld Book 1 on its site and is responsible for bringing a ton of the initial readers to Erfworld.

Oh that Celia. I don't see her though: at least there is no one with wings. Maybe MonteCristo was thinking she fitted for the character he later thought was Jeannie.
FeatherFluster

Postby wonmean » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Hahaha, that's great!

Laughed for a good couple minutes on the last panel.
wonmean

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:48 pm

HandofShadows wrote:"Mind the Gap". Don't think it's a London Underground reference. More like Portal one. (is there an Erfworld version of GLaDOS? :shock: ) Sizemore clealry is DA Man right now. Do you think he will relax a little when he figures out there there is some support for his actions in MK?

I'm sure it is a reference to the London Underground. Portal got the "Mind the Gap" slogan from them.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Oberon » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:08 pm

No one in particular wrote:[The MK is] ... one big hex that can be entered and left at any time, regardless of whose turn it is, or how much move you have, and allows access to other hexes that are in no way adjacent. The regular rules of turn and move totally don't apply!
Sure they do. I've seen no movement or turn rules violated by the MK, either the area or the inhabitants. The rules for movement might be stated as this:

1) It costs movement to cross a hex boundary;
2) The amount of movement it costs is determined by the terrain type of the hex being entered;
3) Movement within a hex is free (i.e. costs no movement, and can still happen if a unit has zero movement such as a garrison unit or a unit moving off-turn) with the exception of cities;
4) City movement is free with the following exceptions [exceptions excluded for brevity].

While speculative, we've seen some examples which indicate that the zone boundary is the point at which remaining move and/or on-turn status is checked. This happens on-turn with the (then) garrison unit Parson being denied hex boundary crossing, and off-turn with Jillian being unable to follow Stanley and bouncing off of the hex boundary.

The MK does not break these rules, as no zone boundary is crossed when entering or exiting the MK. The MK merely has a standing exploit in the portals, in much the same way as Parson's falling maneuver allowed GK units who could otherwise not move to land, and then once landed to move freely from the garrison to the tower and dungeons. You do not cross a hex boundary when you use a MK portal, even though you do move from one hex to another.
Lamech wrote:A surprise attack against a kingdom full of predictamancers and lookamancers, and also commanding the most powerful super-weapons on erf (links)? I have some improvements to this battle plan. One: invade Russia in winter after equipping your forces in swimsuits.
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions