Book 2 – Text Updates 045

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 045

Postby Oberon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:47 pm

kaylasdad99 wrote:Speaking of decapitation strikes...

The status of Don King's attempt to bankroll Tramennis's promotion to heir is still unresolved, (AFAIK). In the event that Slately is croaked before that happens, Jetstone ends, right? What becomes of the Portal in an ended city, if anything? If it goes inactive, does that strand Parson in Spacerock?

He could find himself in excellent physical condition if he has to WALK from Spacerock to Gobwin Knob, ISTM... :mrgreen:
The only question here would be: Why are you assuming that Parson has any pressing need to walk to GK? After taking Jetstone he is where he belongs: On the front line of GKs continuing expansion.
skarl wrote:
Marshalle Ney wrote:Totliaer Kreig.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, can someone check their spelling of a word they want to inpress with!
I thought it meant a swift strike using infants...
just2quixotic wrote:I appreciate your effort to clarify things for me, but a previous reply got me checking the ErfWiki, and the ErfWiki states that the real world reference for Charlie is Charlie Townsend of Charlie's Angels: http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Charlie.It says nothing about Charles Ergan.
Ditto wrote:It [the wikki] also says "If there are any male Archons in Charlie's service, then one of them may be named Bosley.", which is a pretty useless piece of fluff. They could just as easily be named after Gilligan & Mr. Howell (since we have archons named Ginger & MaryAnn) or the Backstreet Boys (based on the Haggar ambush update with teeniebop pop stars). The wiki is not comprehensive nor is it absolute unless it's under the heading of Canon, backed by Rob.
Please... Everyone needs to realize (and as Ditto states): The wikki is full of complete crap. There is some small amount of accurate information present, to be sure, but also a huge amount of rampant speculation and completely made up bull shit which is presented as being canon.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Vreejack » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:57 pm

The only thing special about being a "warlord" is that it is created by appointment of the overlord. I assume that any commander can be appointed warlord, and all casters are commanders by definition, which simply means that they have the power to interpret orders and not automatically attack enemies.

As for Portal Park suddenly becoming a huge security threat, how so? The fact that a warlord can wait until his forces have captured the portal room before he arrives on scene is hardly a useful power. Had Parson been on the scene already they might not now be in this mess. The only possible benefit I can see for this is the ability to quickly relay casters from home to the battle site in the rare case that an attacker has captured only part of the city before the end of the turn. It would have to be a compelling reason, though for an overlord to risk his casters on so precarious a mission.
So...Watashi wa mizugorō ga sukina koto o kiita, neh?
A Prediction is what would have happened had there been no Prediction. What is scary is that they are also what will happen in spite of the Prediction.
Vreejack

Postby Smoker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:16 pm

Also, whats stopping the Rulers from having the ability to turn on and off the portals like a lightswitch?

A flick of natural thinkamancy, and the city is completely secure from the MK until such a time as the Ruler wishes to allow a caster to enter the MK, or a hired caster to visit his capital.

Since there has never been a need for this in the past, and also because casters are allowed more independance than most other units, it makes sense that some sides leave their portals on 24/7.

This would also explain why we only see between 10-15 portals at a time - some sides who have no need for the MK leave them turned off. Faq, a side who has long benefitted from secrecy, could be one of these sides. (except for a quick open and shut to allow Vanna access)

Charlie, although a reputable employer in the MK, would almost certainly have his portal switched off, if possible. If there was such an easy way to gain access to Charlescom, and so many casters who wanted him out of the picture, I cant see why he wouldn't have been confronted with an army of linked casters yet.

MK neutrality or not, if your upkeep is in on the line, and Charlie is dominating the thinkagram market... *shrug*

Now, if this were true, it could well be that the idea of the MK being used as an exploit will occur to Jetstone once they figure out that GK have targeted the dungeons. They might then flick the portal off and leave Parson stranded, with a bunch of angry casters between him and the GK portal :)

Anyway, this is based on pure nothing, and raised only to cast a shadow on the assumption that you could use the portals as an unlimited exploit.
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
Smoker

Postby No one in particular » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:59 pm

Oberon wrote:
Ditto wrote:The wiki is not comprehensive nor is it absolute unless it's under the heading of Canon, backed by Rob.
Please... Everyone needs to realize (and as Ditto states): The wiki is full of complete crap. There is some small amount of accurate information present, to be sure, but also a huge amount of rampant speculation and completely made up bull shit which is presented as being canon.

Okay, first, there is more than a little difference between "not comprehensive nor absolute unless backed by Rob" and "full of complete crap"; second, speculation and theory is kept separate from what has been observed in the comic, and labeled as such; and third, it's a WIKI. It's only as strong as its contributors, and if more folks were over there helping out, so much the better!

Smoker wrote:If there was such an easy way to gain access to Charlescom, and so many casters who wanted him out of the picture, I cant see why he wouldn't have been confronted with an army of linked casters yet.

I know I'm kind of missing your point on this, but it seems worth mentioning: linked-up casters can be crippled or even croaked just be being addressed by name while linked. With Charlie's thinkamancy and long history of contracts with the MK, finding out who's attacking him and then shouting their names would be very easy.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names could totally kill me.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Sixty » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:10 am

Hmmm, Marie mentions that she and Janis want to make sure Parson doesn't croak this turn but that's before they know he is going to Jetstone. They knew he was in charge again, but back at GK right? Or did they have no idea where he was stationed and just assumed it was near the front line? Cause they don't seem surprised that he would need to get to the action, just surprised how he would get there.

I wonder what they were talking about with the whole protecting Parson before they knew of his plans to go through the Magic Kingdom. From Stanley maybe if something went wrong?
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Jinren » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:38 am

No one in particular wrote:I know I'm kind of missing your point on this, but it seems worth mentioning: linked-up casters can be crippled or even croaked just be being addressed by name while linked. With Charlie's thinkamancy and long history of contracts with the MK, finding out who's attacking him and then shouting their names would be very easy.

If there was a way to turn off the portals, I would expect Charlie to have found it. Anything less than absolute paranoia would be out of character.

If this couldn't be done, how would FAQ have stayed hidden? (On the other hand, without the MK, how would they have set up mercenary contracts while staying hidden?)
Jinren
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Skittles » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:22 am

Thought I'd share just in case anyone enjoys commemoration of large numbers.
Spoiler: show
Skittles

Postby Azukar » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:23 am

Skittles wrote:Thought I'd share just in case anyone enjoys commemoration of large numbers.
Spoiler: show

Twelve whole posts, whoa :o

...Wait, hang on...
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby timh » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:12 am

Nice update! gives a good insight in Sizemore's thoughts and his moral dillema.

As for how Wanda got her Masterclass status, I think this update shows that levels and "masterclass status" are not linked. A caster can have a "great insight" in his discipline (croakamancy) or major class (naughtymancy) and become a Master that way.

Considering Jack also is a masterclass foolamancer, and so is Marie (presumably) it got me wondering about FAQ. Wanda didn't have much to do while she was in the bubble-kingdom, but all the casters did get together to discuss magic together. Perhaps during these circle meetings the casters learned so much they all gained some great insight?

Also, perhaps Wanda managed to level as a naughtymancer a bit while playing in the dungeon with Jillian...
timh

Postby paint » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:31 am

Sixty wrote:Hmmm, Marie mentions that she and Janis want to make sure Parson doesn't croak this turn but that's before they know he is going to Jetstone. They knew he was in charge again, but back at GK right? Or did they have no idea where he was stationed and just assumed it was near the front line? Cause they don't seem surprised that he would need to get to the action, just surprised how he would get there.

I wonder what they were talking about with the whole protecting Parson before they knew of his plans to go through the Magic Kingdom. From Stanley maybe if something went wrong?

Maggie already told MK what the plan was , well at least she requested they protect Parson.
Janis has an inkling of whats going on . and even if they don't know the details they know something is up and arn't stupid they are drawing the lines together.
paint

Postby Oberon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:20 am

No one in particular wrote:Okay, first, there is more than a little difference between "not comprehensive nor absolute unless backed by Rob" and "full of complete crap"; second, speculation and theory [in the wiki] is kept separate from what has been observed in the comic, and labeled as such; and third, it's a WIKI.
I stand by my words. The wikki is full of complete crap. There is some small amount of accurate information present, to be sure, but also a huge amount of rampant speculation and completely made up bull shit which is presented as being canon. Speculation and theory are not kept separate from observed fact, not by a long shot. And if "it's a WIKI" is supposed to excuse being full of crap, then why are you bothering to defend it?
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby fjolnir » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:16 am

I know the stuff I posted on the wiki was as accurate as I could make it, I was working with several others on the IRC for the Glossary terms for one of the books.
fjolnir

Postby No one in particular » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:55 am

Oberon wrote:I stand by my words. The wikki is full of complete crap. There is some small amount of accurate information present, to be sure, but also a huge amount of rampant speculation and completely made up bull shit which is presented as being canon. Speculation and theory are not kept separate from observed fact, not by a long shot. And if "it's a WIKI" is supposed to excuse being full of crap, then why are you bothering to defend it?

I'm sorry, "it's a wiki" was supposed to be shorthand. Clearly, I should have explained myself as thoroughly and exhaustively as possible. The declaration that it's a wiki wasn't an excuse for anything, but rather was meant to remind everyone that it's a community project, open to editing and improvement by anyone. If you are browsing it, and see something that is inaccurate, out of place, or incomplete, YOU can fix it. See, as a community project, it depends on the contributors to work, and the only people who aren't allowed to contribute are the flood of spambots that've been attacking since January. There is nothing stopping you moving the speculation or deleting the "completely made up bull shit". Seriously, you don't even have to sign in. Just click those little blue [edit] links and pitch in.

Also, one last thing, just because I can be pedantic at times... it's not wikki. It's wiki. It in the address, it's on the front page, it's in the links on the comic site and the forum site, it's in the logo for the wiki, and multiple people have spelled it accurately in the course of discussion. Wiki. One K.
---
No one in particular

Postby multilis » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:54 am

Vreejack wrote:As for Portal Park suddenly becoming a huge security threat, how so?

A rule has been bent/broken. That means other rules may be broken. Eg. Is sizemore safe in magic kingdom now? Is *any* caster safe in magic kingdom now? (From direct attacks to indirect thinkomancy/foolomancy/hippomancy/etc tricks to disable enemy casters, ideally putting blame on someone else.)

Also: Lets suppose you find a nasty 2 or 3 caster linkup, similar to trigger a volcano one. So you send them through enemy portal, they fire off the shockomancy spells to buy a bit of time, then awaken the volcano/end enemies turn/etc, and hop back out the portal. Other lighter hit and run variations may be possible.

Is it against convention currently to send your caster through an allies portal? If so then breaking that convention may allow better instant defense of a capital.
multilis

Postby Oberon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:46 pm

No one in particular wrote:If you are browsing [the wikkki*], and see something that is inaccurate, out of place, or incomplete, YOU can fix it. See, as a community project, it depends on the contributors to work, and the only people who aren't allowed to contribute are the flood of spambots that've been attacking since January. There is nothing stopping you moving the speculation or deleting the "completely made up bull shit". Seriously, you don't even have to sign in. Just click those little blue [edit] links and pitch in.
I have contributed to the wikki*, but not very much. I have considered at various times attempting to correct some of the rampant speculation or personal opinion which is stated as though it is canon, but a combination of feeling overwhelmed and ennui has stopped me. That and the realization that it's a wikkki*, and anyone can just go in and replace their favorite tin hat theory even if I do take the time to remove it.

* Just cranking your chain with the misspelling, I appreciate the correction as I do try to post with proper spelling and grammar.
Oberon

Postby kaylasdad99 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:31 pm

paint wrote:
Sixty wrote:Hmmm, Marie mentions that she and Janis want to make sure Parson doesn't croak this turn but that's before they know he is going to Jetstone. They knew he was in charge again, but back at GK right? Or did they have no idea where he was stationed and just assumed it was near the front line? Cause they don't seem surprised that he would need to get to the action, just surprised how he would get there.

Maggie already told MK what the plan was , well at least she requested they protect Parson.
Janis has an inkling of whats going on . and even if they don't know the details they know something is up and arn't stupid they are drawing the lines together.
It's my understanding that Maggie is a member of a secret cabal of Thinkamancers known as The Great Minds Who Think Alike (TGMWTA). This, unless I am mistaken, is the only group of casters that Maggie notified about Parson's plan. The denizens of MK at large are not members, nor are Janis and Marie (although I suspect that Janis and Marie have a long-term plan that, at the moment, runs parallel to that of TGMWTA).
kaylasdad99

Postby abb3w » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:57 pm

kojiro kakita wrote:While I find it interesting that you are brining up Sun Tzu's Art of War here,

It's kind of an obvious choice. Relatively concise if a bit cryptic, a bit more focused than Machievelli, more readily applied generally than the Gallic Wars, more finished than Clausewitz, and pretty easy to find in translation (EG: Project Gutenberg). It's practically a "Dick and Jane" reader for military strategy.

kojiro kakita wrote:I think I am going to disagree with your opinion on what Open Ground means strategically and why you shouldn't try to block it. Open ground is viewed as ground that which allows for freedom of movement. Therefore you do not block the enemies movement because its nearly impossible to do so. In order to do so you must disperse your forces into surrounding all sides of the enemy. However, Magic Kingdom cannot be open ground since it does not allow freedom of movement on the battlefield. If anything, due to the nature of the portals it is either contentious ground, intersecting highways, and hemmed in ground. Because of his innovative use of the portals, he will now be forced to fight for the Magic Kingdom since he has made everyone aware to its strategic value

A defensible alternative interpretation.
abb3w

Postby auraseer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:55 pm

This paragraph caught my attention:
He sensed the physical world in deep, primal ways which he found difficult to convey to other casters. Even Changemancers and Dittomancers would stare at him blankly when he described it, though they too practiced forms of Stuffamancy.

Sizemore is mentioning other Stuffamancers, but not other Dirtamancers. You'd expect those of his same discipline would be the ones he'd talk with about his sense of the world, but he doesn't even think about them.

Do we know whether there are any other Dirtamancers?
auraseer

Postby No one in particular » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:58 pm

Well, we know that they're very rare. According to the first text update, "Dirtamancy was among the most rare and useful disciplines here." Beyond that, we haven't even heard of any other dirtamancers being mentioned.
---
No one in particular

Postby Krennson » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:21 pm

auraseer wrote:This paragraph caught my attention:
He sensed the physical world in deep, primal ways which he found difficult to convey to other casters. Even Changemancers and Dittomancers would stare at him blankly when he described it, though they too practiced forms of Stuffamancy.

Sizemore is mentioning other Stuffamancers, but not other Dirtamancers. You'd expect those of his same discipline would be the ones he'd talk with about his sense of the world, but he doesn't even think about them.

Do we know whether there are any other Dirtamancers?

Dirtamancy is a subset of stuffamancy, along with changemancy and Dittomancy.

the way it's written seems to imply that either other dirtamancers DO understand why Sizemore is saying, at least the higher-skilled ones, or else Sizemore couldn't find any dirtamancers to talk to.
Krennson

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions