Book 2 – Text Updates 045

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 045

Postby Beeskee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:53 pm

I really hope Sizemore doesn't get croaked, he's one of my favorite characters, but yeah it's looking more and more like that will happen. :<
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Decorus » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:57 pm

paint wrote:
Sixty wrote:Hmmm, Marie mentions that she and Janis want to make sure Parson doesn't croak this turn but that's before they know he is going to Jetstone. They knew he was in charge again, but back at GK right? Or did they have no idea where he was stationed and just assumed it was near the front line? Cause they don't seem surprised that he would need to get to the action, just surprised how he would get there.

I wonder what they were talking about with the whole protecting Parson before they knew of his plans to go through the Magic Kingdom. From Stanley maybe if something went wrong?

Maggie already told MK what the plan was , well at least she requested they protect Parson.
Janis has an inkling of whats going on . and even if they don't know the details they know something is up and arn't stupid they are drawing the lines together.

Sigh no she didn't.
Maggie told the Thinkamancers what Parson's plan was and requested they protect him while he makes his tunnel run.
Decorus

Postby auraseer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:57 pm

Krennson wrote:Dirtamancy is a subset of stuffamancy, along with changemancy and Dittomancy.

the way it's written seems to imply that either other dirtamancers DO understand why Sizemore is saying, at least the higher-skilled ones, or else Sizemore couldn't find any dirtamancers to talk to.

The latter is how I read it. He doesn't talk to other Dirtamancers at all, and other Stuffamancers are the closest he can get.

I was curious if we'd ever seen hints of other Dirtamancers, or if any other side was said to have one. Near as I can tell, we have not. About only mention we get is the first text update, where it's pointed out that Dirtamancy is so useful and so rare in the MK, Sizemore can't help becoming a "filthy rich rock star."

This makes me wonder if there are a couple of his brethren around, but they never spend time talking to each other, because they're all too busy partying like filthy rich rock stars.
auraseer

Postby Infidel » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:51 pm

auraseer wrote:
Krennson wrote:Dirtamancy is a subset of stuffamancy, along with changemancy and Dittomancy.

the way it's written seems to imply that either other dirtamancers DO understand why Sizemore is saying, at least the higher-skilled ones, or else Sizemore couldn't find any dirtamancers to talk to.

The latter is how I read it. He doesn't talk to other Dirtamancers at all, and other Stuffamancers are the closest he can get.

I was curious if we'd ever seen hints of other Dirtamancers, or if any other side was said to have one. Near as I can tell, we have not. About only mention we get is the first text update, where it's pointed out that Dirtamancy is so useful and so rare in the MK, Sizemore can't help becoming a "filthy rich rock star."

This makes me wonder if there are a couple of his brethren around, but they never spend time talking to each other, because they're all too busy partying like filthy rich rock stars.

It could be rare because Dirtamancy is under appreciated, see Stanley's original attitude. So they might get thrust into combat to accidentally lose them, and free up a spot for the random caster popper to pop a more useful class. Or, their Crap bomb might be so strong it is overused, and the dirtamancers get thrust into combat, and so their have a high fatality rate for that reason.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby drachefly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:01 pm

By the way, I have a feeling that if any other dirtamancers came by, they'd immediately sense what he was up to. This is still a bit risky.

Anyway... if closing the portal isn't possible, I wonder... can magic be cast through the portal? What if the destination is obstructed?

If the answer to the first is 'no', then just loading up a bunch of very sharp objects right in front of the portal should provide solid defense. The second could provide a way to effectively block it off, depending on the ruleset.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:15 pm

... now I'm imagining a bunch of Rulers setting up irises like the one from Stargate.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby the_tick_rules » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:28 am

Until Parson convention and tradition prevented anyone from trying or probably even thinking about this kinda stuff. The only way to attack like this is through the MK, and the MK's neutrality codes say no to this as well. I'm going to assume a caster could like shoot something through a portal if they wanted to, they just don't want to.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Smoker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:53 am

Changing the topic... I dont like Marie.

I dunno exactly what it is about her that gets up my nose, but I just cant shake the feeling that I'd feel pretty happy if that smug little bitch wound up on the losing side of this battle.

I dunno. Am I alone in this?
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
Smoker

Postby Infidel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:08 am

Smoker wrote:Changing the topic... I dont like Marie.

I dunno exactly what it is about her that gets up my nose, but I just cant shake the feeling that I'd feel pretty happy if that smug little bitch wound up on the losing side of this battle.

No. She has made me cringe from the start. Which makes sense. Because when I look up the rl inspiration, SHE is even worse.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:37 am

Beeskee wrote:I really hope Sizemore doesn't get croaked, he's one of my favorite characters, but yeah it's looking more and more like that will happen. :<

Sizemore ain't dyin'. Not until he discovers the lost art of appearing in translucent form to a mentored pupil/friend.

Infidel wrote:

No. She has made me cringe from the start. Which makes sense. Because when I look up the rl inspiration, SHE is even worse.

Mildly off-put by prophets myself, so she's not among my favourite background chars. But not quite that annoying either, largely because limiting screen-time does wonders.

Oberon wrote:Please... Everyone needs to realize (and as Ditto states): The wikki is full of complete crap. There is some small amount of accurate information present, to be sure, but also a huge amount of rampant speculation and completely made up bull shit which is presented as being canon.

Aye. The only good use for a wiki is to look up that particular update, in which the thing you remember seeing but cannot remember where, was said.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby nth » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:39 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Sizemore ain't dyin'. Not until he discovers the lost art of appearing in translucent form to a mentored pupil/friend.

Except, given that he's a dirtamancer, it would probably be stone golem of some sort.

And given this text update, it's conceivable that dying is what pushes him into the insight that Erf really is his body, and he can move his consciousness into it...
nth

Postby Vreejack » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:48 am

multilis wrote:
Vreejack wrote:As for Portal Park suddenly becoming a huge security threat, how so?

A rule has been bent/broken. That means other rules may be broken. Eg. Is sizemore safe in magic kingdom now? Is *any* caster safe in magic kingdom now? (From direct attacks to indirect thinkomancy/foolomancy/hippomancy/etc tricks to disable enemy casters, ideally putting blame on someone else.)

Also: Lets suppose you find a nasty 2 or 3 caster linkup, similar to trigger a volcano one. So you send them through enemy portal, they fire off the shockomancy spells to buy a bit of time, then awaken the volcano/end enemies turn/etc, and hop back out the portal. Other lighter hit and run variations may be possible.

Is it against convention currently to send your caster through an allies portal? If so then breaking that convention may allow better instant defense of a capital.

I think that in such a case you are likely to lose the entire three-caster linkup. One munchkin with a spear could do that easily. Whoever was in
charge of the city would notice the attack instantly and would direct more forces to the room. Extra casters would have to accompany the linkup to protect them. It could be done but it would still be expansive and very risky. If any defender can get get past the screen to the linkup it's toast.
So...Watashi wa mizugorō ga sukina koto o kiita, neh?
A Prediction is what would have happened had there been no Prediction. What is scary is that they are also what will happen in spite of the Prediction.
Vreejack

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:25 pm

nth wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:Sizemore ain't dyin'. Not until he discovers the lost art of appearing in translucent form to a mentored pupil/friend.

Except, given that he's a dirtamancer, it would probably be stone golem of some sort.

Well, if he's a Dirtamancer, he would rather appear in the guise of a suggestive bowel movement.

I am so sorry.

Here's something to take that mental image away.
Last edited by BLANDCorporatio on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:52 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
nth wrote:

Well, if he's a Dirtamancer, he would rather appear in the guise of a suggestive bowel movement.

I am so sorry.

Here's something to take that mental image away.

BLAND, you failed - that video is "not available in your country". Not all of us live in Europe. :P

I still require mental cleansing, or else the scouting results in TAW will have some very disturbing things...
WaterMonkey314

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:07 pm

WaterMonkey314 wrote:BLAND, you failed - that video is "not available in your country". Not all of us live in Europe. :P

I still require mental cleansing, or else the scouting results in TAW will have some very disturbing things...

Wow, didn't realize it was blocked. Edited original post a bit. After all, the message of that particular thing was to be inclusive to people from all over the world.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby mp122984 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:02 pm

Vreejack wrote:I think that in such a case you are likely to lose the entire three-caster linkup. One munchkin with a spear could do that easily. Whoever was in
charge of the city would notice the attack instantly and would direct more forces to the room. Extra casters would have to accompany the linkup to protect them. It could be done but it would still be expansive and very risky. If any defender can get get past the screen to the linkup it's toast.

This is the rational response. I suspect that very few rulers will give such rational responses to the threat of a potential decapitation strike.
mp122984

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:33 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
WaterMonkey314 wrote:BLAND, you failed - that video is "not available in your country". Not all of us live in Europe. :P

Wow, didn't realize it was blocked. Edited original post a bit. After all, the message of that particular thing was to be inclusive to people from all over the world.

Vengeance shall be mine!!! What eldritch abomination is that thing?
WaterMonkey314

Postby Oberon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:51 pm

Nope. Future predictors are typically jackasses. Only the "Things are fuzzy after Parson does his thing" allows Marie to be less of a walking DEM. And really, who would pay the upkeep of a predictamancer? They must come across as the lamest of casters, sort of like Sybill Trelawney...
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby drachefly » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Well, Trelawney had the problem that she thought she was doing a lot of predicting all the time. Marie seems to admit when she doesn't know, which is a big step up.
drachefly

Postby Decorus » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:11 pm

Predictamancers are extremely useful.

Marie doesn't know whats going to happen, because its a turn where fate changes course.
There are many possible futures far too many for her to make an accurate prediction, because they all kinda just blur together.
When the turn is settled she can predict the future again based on the changes that occured during the turn.
Until then she can't predict the future.

Keep in mind Marie kept an entire kingdom of 3 cities from being discovered right up until Stanley came to town.
The question is did Marie know Stanley was coming and didn't tell anyone or was it something she couldn't see.

Marie saw the coming of Parson and Wanda getting an Arkentool how many turns before those events happened?
Decorus

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions