Book 2 – Page 58

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 58

Postby ftl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:00 pm

As far as I can tell, the two places where the Great Minds that Think Alike are referenced are here (http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/LIAB_Text_38) and here (http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/LIAB_Text_40).

In the first one, the only thing said is that "It was a coded message, passive, and costing no juice. Any Thinkamancer who plucked her would find this note in her G-String. But hopefully, only one of the Great Minds that Think Alike in the Temple of the Thinkamancers could decode it. "

It means that the Great Minds are in the Temple, but says nothing of how many or what they do there or who they are.

In the second one, however, we can I think glean more useful information. Isaac the thinkamancer says "A few of the Great Minds lingered nearby, occasionally using the equipment with hesitation. But Isaac was aware that this place usually stood empty when he was not here. He himself was the attraction, ". ... "If only Charlie were one of the Great Minds. If only he Thought Alike. "

It says that the Great Minds can be outside with the equipment, and not just in the temple. That they can afford to be attracted to Isaac when he's around, and not there when he isn't. That "a few" of them can be around.

To me, that indicates that The Great Minds aren't a tri-link. They may include some of their members in a tri-link, but that's not the same thing.

Casters in a tri-link would be much, much more hesitant to wander around and distract themselves just because Isaac was around. It would make little sense to describe "a few" casters of a tri-link going somewhere - when there's only three to begin with, it's either one or two or three that could be wandering around.
To me, that's the biggest indication that it's not a tri-mancer link. If there's only three Great Minds, as in a tri-link, then it wouldn't make sense to say "a few of..."

Also, we know that Isaac EASILY decoded Maggie's message - and that Maggie said that "hopefully, only one of the Great Minds that Think Alike" could decode it. We should expect that Maggie knows that Isaac would easily decode it, or at least suspect it. She didn't seem to mind that Isaac decoded it, expressing no surprise when he later contacted her by thinkagram. Thus, if Maggie believes that only one of the Great Minds could decode it, and Isaac decoded it easily, and Maggie was not surprised by this, that implies that Isaac is one of the Great Minds.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby abb3w » Sat May 07, 2011 6:29 pm

Jinren wrote:
badninja wrote:
abb3w wrote:...has anyone ever even bothered to tell Stanley that Parson can enter the Magic Kingdom?

I doubt it. Parson and all the casters seem to keep Stanley on a need to know basis and this is something that they would conveniently forget to tell him about. The Tool is about to get a nasty surprise about what his CW can do.

I don't get why people are thinking this is going to be an issue...?

Predictamancy is sometimes indistinguishable from a lucky guess. :)
abb3w

Postby Atomic » Sat May 07, 2011 6:54 pm

abb3w wrote:Predictamancy is sometimes indistinguishable from a lucky guess. :)
Except if it was Parson's entry into the Magic Kingdom, Stanley would've felt it at the end of Book 1, as well. No, it needs to be something unique about this time. My money is on Slately being aware of Parson falling because of a dirtamancy trap... but we'll see! :P
Rob Balder wrote:We have one rule in these forums: don't be a dick.
Atomic

Postby ftl » Sat May 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Atomic wrote:
abb3w wrote:Predictamancy is sometimes indistinguishable from a lucky guess. :)
Except if it was Parson's entry into the Magic Kingdom, Stanley would've felt it at the end of Book 1, as well. No, it needs to be something unique about this time. My money is on Slately being aware of Parson falling because of a dirtamancy trap... but we'll see! :P

Last time, Stanley would've been outside the city when that happened, he wasn't in that hex. If he can feel his CW leave the hex (change of bonuses, for example) then he wouldn't have felt it last time because he wasn't in the same hex anyway.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Previous

Return to Reactions