Book 2 – Page 60

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 60

Postby M.A.D » Sun May 08, 2011 3:13 am

Could George be trying to assassinate Parson with a scroll of shockmancy? It sounds easier than invading an entire kingdom or misleading it's chief warlord to a different kingdom by changing the lock.

Ambug666 wrote:So the Fairy Godmother is almost certainly a changeamancer. What sort of mancer is Hermione Granger? I mean, my money would have been on think, but she isn't with the rest of the thinks. What do you, um, think?

A Clevermancer whose main profession is Luckamancy, but she's also good at Hat Magic
M.A.D

Postby effataigus » Sun May 08, 2011 3:55 am

Not Me wrote:Not sure about the rest of you, but I'm having a "huge" deja vu moment of the Kingworld spell.

Haha, lets hope Jeftichew's scroll isn't some linked-caster literal-game-changer... though him there to enact a lightly-foreshadowed plan that stands in Parson's way sounds about right. I'm guessing it'll be stopped by Maggie's caution with summoning the GMATTA.

I still believe that Parson's noble gesture is ultimately increasing the risk of death for the troops whose burden he is trying to shoulder (and endangering Sizemore and offending TMK). Add on top of that the possibility of something going wrong in TMK and I'm yet more puzzled by his decision to go through.

Uh oh... a full fledged Benny Hill chase scene, those seemed to last for 15 minutes apiece... in REAL TIME. :shock:
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Musrum » Sun May 08, 2011 4:17 am

I haven't seen it mentioned in previous posts, but another thing that points in favour of the Jeftichew theory is that his livery looks Unaroyal.

I think that his orders (from Charlie?) is to tap PGLH with the "Blue Scroll" if he ever enters the MK.

If I was Charlie, the Blue Scroll would be some sort of subtle INT damage effect (with no detectable residue).
Musrum

Postby Morgoloth » Sun May 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Good comic. First time poster, long time lurker. Looooved the dragons.

Here is to hoping that Gobwin Knob gets a bloody nose out of all this, or preferably, loses. Their arrogance is so much so, especially Sylvia, who is my least favorite character. Hope she gets recroaked as soon as possible! :twisted:
Morgoloth

Postby Stuv » Sun May 08, 2011 1:29 pm

President_Allosaurus wrote:
Stuv wrote:Regarding scroll color: the Summon Perfect Warlord scroll was also blue, which some have suggest was lookamancy/findamancy. And I suppose I'll point out a 2nd time that mystery caster (whoever he is) is holding a scroll that has changed color.

On page 60: Light blue, with dark blue trim.
On page 57: Red, with uncertain trim
*snip*

It's blue in both pages.

I'm disappointed more people haven't figured out who the random casters are. You guys are usually good at this.

Er, "is not"? Mr. President, you can tell by the pixels. http://www.erfworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Erfworld-Book-2-P-057.jpg Zoom in with an image viewer, in panel 9 and in panel 13 it's clearly red, and now that I've looked more closely myself I can say it's got gray trim. Maybe it's a mistake, maybe it's irrelevant, but last time I checked I was a trichromat.

boegiboe, thank you for the response, but the cast of Alien Nation looks like they'd fit more with the one on the left, not the one on the right which I meant. Perhaps you know the character's name? Also, Jadzia Dax looks pretty likely, but as noted the spots here join in the center of the face, not frame it as with Dax.
Stuv

Postby Nihila » Sun May 08, 2011 1:32 pm

Morgoloth wrote:Sylvia, who is my least favorite character. Hope she gets recroaked as soon as possible!
Any bets on how long it'll take BLAND to show up in a state of righteous fury?

50,000 Schmuckers say about a day.
But on this pseudo-hypothetical thing called "the topic," I'm going to advance the theory that Jeftichew's scroll will transmute Parson into a rabbit, and that it is already taking effect.
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun May 08, 2011 1:44 pm

Nihila wrote:
Morgoloth wrote:Sylvia, who is my least favorite character. Hope she gets recroaked as soon as possible!
Any bets on how long it'll take BLAND to show up in a state of righteous fury?

50,000 Schmuckers say about a day.
But on this pseudo-hypothetical thing called "the topic," I'm going to advance the theory that Jeftichew's scroll will transmute Parson into a rabbit, and that it is already taking effect.

BLAND needs to get back from a roadtrip and read the thread first. What did I mi

Why hello there joosy ;)

President_Allosaurus wrote:I'm dissapointed more people haven't figured out who the random casters are. You guys are usually good at this.

Well, apparently this time we just don't care :P Jeftichew Harrisson is the focus of our theory, and whoever said that now's a good time for GK to have their nether regions grabbed, as in, Stanley receiving an unexpected visit from the MK himself and being held hostage, is on to a nice idea.

====

Gweat update. Lots of cliffhangers, the (decrypted) Dwagons being useful, stuff happening- yeah, it really would be nice to have more frequent updates right now because the things really have taken momentum! But hey, when updates are done, they are done (as seen with this one). Just don't keep us waiting for years that would be cruel ;)
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby RichMan » Sun May 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Nice to see Lady Sylvia Lazarus in action.

One thing Parson is missing from his work as "perfect" warlord - teaching the lesser warlords the art. Even with the wonders of thinkamancy the chief warlord cannot micromanage everything. Parson should start coaching his lesser warlords. Also the lesser warlords should be leading, they will level up. I doubt casters level from leading. So with GK marching all over the world with Wanda in command they have NOT benefited from as much leveling of the lesser warlords as they could have. In fact given Parsons scheme of stacking bonuses, there should be strategic sorties into enemy space designed specifically to give lesser warlords experience and level them up, this will harden the lesser stacks. There should also be specific leveling paths being engaged for warlords, casters, knight type units and in fact every unit.

Parson should not have viewed his maintenance walks as wastes of time. Maximizing the efficiency of your supply chain and getting your units as powerful as possible is part of the battle.

The book 2 to book 3 interlude should include "battleschool".
RichMan

Postby leshabirukov » Sun May 08, 2011 3:19 pm

Walt wrote:There are three main questions about George/Jeftichew at this moment. One is, whose side is he on, on which there has been some great discussion here. The second, likewise much discussed, is what he is going to do. What really puzzles me is the third one, though, which is: What is he waiting for?

It's pretty clear that his plan is not to attack Parson in any direct way, at least not until something else happens first, since that would mean he's standing there and waiting for no reason.

Has he done something already, and is waiting for that action to take effect or be triggered or be noticed? Having blocked the tunnel or closed the Jetstone portal are possibilities. Neither of those sounds much like Carnymancy but who knows? (Ten cubic meters of popcorn, for instance, could make a tunnel pretty difficult to get through.)

Wanna food fight? Taste some! :mrgreen:
Or he can make a marionette of Parson. If he is linked to Charlie, then he can do something epic.
Utoryo wrote:
gameboy1234 wrote:It might have if the details of Parson's plan had been different, but the tunnel will lead him right to the gate he's chosen -- there's no way for him to easily get confused or wander to the wrong one.
Agreed. However it seems theoretically possible that there exists a spell which replaces one portal with another. Whatever it is (and there are many possibilities) I'd be surprised if Charlie wasn't involved.

I doubt that wulebook encourages messing with portals.
ImageArkentools of the Erfworld, unite!
leshabirukov

Postby skarl » Sun May 08, 2011 3:32 pm

that weird suit remids me of MCR (famoust last words.), although the face doesn't fit
I'm not serious. I am never serious. seriously!

(please remember that I am a foreign speaker, and therefore make a lot of spelling & gramatic mistakes, and please don't pin me down on my exact formulation.)
skarl

Postby Housellama » Sun May 08, 2011 6:36 pm

Here's my tinfoil hat for the day.

It is definitely Chewie. He's definitely working with Charlie. He's definitely there to boop up Parson. Here's the tricksie part.

The scroll is a Dirtamancy scroll. He's going to undo the traps and close up the holes, leaving Parson trapped underground.

Charlie wants Parson, badly. When he was in GK, Charlie couldn't touch him. Charlie knows Parson is coming. It is safe to assume Charlie knows HOW Parson is coming. Yes, Sizemore is there in the MK to help get Parson out, but I'm betting Charlie has other resources in place, or that Chewie is confident that he can take Sizemore before he frees Parson. With Parson trapped in an accessible place, Charlie has a whole new realm of options. Link-augmented Turnamancy, physically moving Parson to his place, etc.

/tinfoil hat
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Sylvan » Sun May 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Housellama wrote:Here's my tinfoil hat for the day.

It is definitely Chewie. He's definitely working with Charlie. He's definitely there to boop up Parson. Here's the tricksie part.

The scroll is a Dirtamancy scroll. He's going to undo the traps and close up the holes, leaving Parson trapped underground.

Charlie wants Parson, badly. When he was in GK, Charlie couldn't touch him. Charlie knows Parson is coming. It is safe to assume Charlie knows HOW Parson is coming. Yes, Sizemore is there in the MK to help get Parson out, but I'm betting Charlie has other resources in place, or that Chewie is confident that he can take Sizemore before he frees Parson. With Parson trapped in an accessible place, Charlie has a whole new realm of options. Link-augmented Turnamancy, physically moving Parson to his place, etc.

/tinfoil hat

+1

I've been thinking for a while that the worst thing for Parson right now would be messing with the tunnel, but I was thinking along the lines of collapsing the tunnel or somesuch to harm/croak Parson, but this is a much better idea, much more in line with Charlie's desire to have a more-than-perfect warlord on HIS side. Would definitely give Charlie more security to have Parson on his team. and awaaaaaaay from Wanda and the decrypted.
Sylvan

Postby splexis » Sun May 08, 2011 9:02 pm

wrecan wrote:
Stuv wrote:I agree with Billiam and Walt (and Ansan) that
A: it's George Harrison (no epaulettes on that cover, wrecan)

There are absolutely epaulettes on Barry Gibb's costume and they look just like the epaulettes in the comic.

No, there are not: Barry Gibb's costume has shoulder straps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoulder_s ... lder_strap), but not epaulettes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epaulette). However, George Harrison's outfit on SPLHCB does have epaulettes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pepper%27s.jpg).
splexis

Postby the_tick_rules » Sun May 08, 2011 9:04 pm

I'm just assuming it's one of the GMTTA doin what they said.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby MichaelR138 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:32 pm

I am thinking it is Jeftichew myself. The color of the jacket, the matching picture, his being very hirsute without being too over the top as the poor earth namesake was all points to me being the former Uniroyal caster, and as such not one of the GMtta, especially since they all were gathered at the temple and then travelled to portal park as a group.

I DO NOT think he is working for Charlie though; If Charlie could get something like this put together off turn in this little amount of time EVEN IF he could hack Thinkagrams, he would own the world easily by now. Plus there is the pledge not to work for a non-royal side, and those types of agreements in Erfworld appear non-ambiguous AND totally binding from what we have seen so far.

I do think that it falls under Fortuitous circumstance, that Jeftichew was traveling through the park, saw Sizemore acting a little odd, and went to investigate. Parson coming through the gate gives him the opportunity to act for himself and his lost side to exact some sort of vengence. While I have no doubts the scroll is useful, I am guessing he was picking it up for something totally unrelated to this incident.

Michael
MichaelR138

Postby dannom » Sun May 08, 2011 10:23 pm

I think the smirk seen after "queue the Benny Hill music" would be appropriate for someone wearing a Benny Hill like costume:
http://www.freewebs.com/bennyhill/280px-BennyHill.jpg

Especially for a carnymancher "going after" Parson as Yakety Sax is very carny like.
dannom

Postby Oberon » Sun May 08, 2011 11:02 pm

Sylvan wrote:Also, anyone feel like telling me how you guys separate out a panel for avatars? I am digging panel three of today's update.
Lowest tech and cost would be to use Paint.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby regisminae » Sun May 08, 2011 11:31 pm

Musrum wrote:I haven't seen it mentioned in previous posts, but another thing that points in favour of the Jeftichew theory is that his livery looks Unaroyal.

Also, the only other of the Unaroyal Casters to have emerged, Vanna, is affiliated with Charlie by way of FAQ. If the Lurker Behind the Threshold does turn out to be Jeftichew (and, as someone stated, for visual identification purposes it would make it challenging to identify the actual Jeftichew if it were not), a similar system of alliance and funding could be in place to preserve the vow of working for Royalty.

I'm not completely convinced, but the evidence against it not being Jeftichew seems stronger to me than the evidence for it being George.

Unrelated query: Did Stupidworld-Chewie serve as inspiration for a different Chewie? On research, the etymologies (Евтищев and собака), while both Russian, don't seem explicitly connected (especially since the ending of Jeftichew seems to have come to us via the German system of transliterating Cyrillic), but it's a small enough stretch to almost seem plausible...
regisminae

Postby President_Allosaurus » Sun May 08, 2011 11:33 pm

Sylvan wrote:
Also, anyone feel like telling me how you guys separate out a panel for avatars? I am digging panel three of today's update.

Check here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2587
President_Allosaurus

Postby Sohlfrost » Mon May 09, 2011 12:06 am

Hey, first time posting here, anyhow... been reading about how quite a few people seem to think Jeftichew/George might be out to get Stanley, and if so, he might be working for Charlie, and found this little bit from a summer update while i was rereading the comic

CharlsNChrg: Simple. Croak a "Tool."
CharlsNChrg: If an attuned wielder of an Arkentool were to croak, it would seem to be pretty compelling evidence that the Titans were not on their side. Don't you think?
CharlsNChrg: Perhaps it's an experiment that ought to be carried out.

May be irrelevant, but still, got me thinking.

From summer update #48, if i read it correctly.
Sohlfrost

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions