Book 2 – Page 60

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 60

Postby gameboy1234 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:11 am

Aquillion wrote:
gameboy1234 wrote:As a result, I think the scroll is not carniemancy but some sort of capture/confuse spell. If Parson could be redirected from the Jetstone portal to the Charlescom portal, it's an instant capture for Charlie. All Charlie has to do is get Parson to run into the wrong portal.
That doesn't work, though. It might have if the details of Parson's plan had been different, but the tunnel will lead him right to the gate he's chosen -- there's no way for him to easily get confused or wander to the wrong one.

It could work, I think, if
Spoiler: show
the scroll is dirtmancy, and redirects Sizemore's tunnel. If the caster is linked to Charlie like Vanna was, I think this becomes plausible.

Well see though. I'm just guessing, and having fun with the guessing.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Mon May 09, 2011 12:32 am

I get the feeling that, with all the different factions involved, Parson's presence in the Magic Kingdom is going to start a civil war of sorts.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby El_Chupacabra » Mon May 09, 2011 12:50 am

So... Are we going to have a "Time Bandits" moment where Parson goes into the "Wrong" Portal?

As I recall, at least one of the dwarves had a lot of facial hair, and they all had some sort of military regalia.
El_Chupacabra

Postby thaco4 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:03 am

[equip=tinfoil_hat]
Idea!! what if instead of going after Parson he is going to go through GK's portal and hit GK from the portal room. that scroll knocks out everyone in the portal room but the caster. Then goes for Stanley.End GK and everyone goes barbarian. Check sir.
[unequip=tinfoil_hat]
Indeed
thaco4

Postby Stuv » Mon May 09, 2011 1:20 am

Thanks, splexis. I do concede Mystery Caster not being Jeftichew would make a future Jeftichew difficult to identify visually, unless! [hat]A design like Headmaster Isaac's could be used: visually referencing Carl Sagan, while nominally referencing Isaac Newton, a Jeftichew could look like PT Barnum and thereby have more of the trappings of a Carny. It's just as likely! [/hat]

Again, about the Great Minds "all" being in the Temple, or it not being possible that any of them were elsewhere, including Portal Park:

(Erfworld page links are not working for me for some reason, but these urls should paste effectively)
http://www.erfworld.com/2011/01/book-2-–-text-updates-038/ , where the faces of some of the GMtTA are shown, including Headmaster Isaac, "Psycho Mantis", "Neil deGrasse Tyson", "Princess Zelda", and Maggie's coded message (however you think it'll be interpreted by the GMtTA or any interloper) was sent.

http://www.erfworld.com/2011/02/book-2-–-text-updates-040/ , where Headmaster Isaac calls the meeting.

The meeting is not shown.

http://www.erfworld.com/2011/03/book-2-–-page-57/ , where Sizemore casts "Mind the Gap" and is largely ignored by "Scarlet Witch", "Zatanna", "Dr. Strange", "Lulu", "The Wicked Witch of the West", "Dr. Manhattan", "Princess Zelda", and a few others, but is noticed by Mystery Caster.

http://www.erfworld.com/2011/04/book-2-–-page-58/ , where the GMtTA head to PP, and we are shown people who are definitely members: Headmaster Isaac, likely "Neil", "Empress Sanaki", "Morticia/Elvira", "Cheetara", and 3 others. Two of them could feasibly match "Aristotle" in Text Update 38, and the cut-off face in the bottom left of Text Update 38, who has black hair and pointy ears, but is wearing very un-Spock-like clothes on Page 58, if they are the same.

http://www.erfworld.com/2011/05/book-2-–-page-60/ , where "Princess Zelda" is no longer visible, but Mystery Caster is.

The point: Some of the GMtTA went to the temple, some did not. This constitutes an excuse for "Princess Zelda" to ignore the meeting and stay in PP: having already received the message, she could have decided to fulfill her responsibilities directly without need for further discussion. Accepting that further excuses a certain Mystery Caster possibly aligned with the GMtTA in the same way. Mystery Caster's position and action on Page 58 suggests some recognition of Sizemore's presence/actions Signifying something, but says absolutely nothing regarding motive.

Another fun connection between Fedor Jeftichew and the Beatles / George Harrison: Jeftichew is referred to on his wikipedia page as Jo-Jo the Dog-Faced [Boy/Man], and Jojo is a character in the Beatles song Get Back who leaves his home (in Arizona, for weed) and is urged to "Get back to where [he] once belonged". Kind of apt for a dispossessed caster, who no longer has a home to go back to, right? While Get Back is a Lennon/McCartney song, its lyrics are derived from George's Sour Milk Sea, (citations on Get Back's page) which has lyrics fitting the Great Minds, in my opinion.
Stuv

Postby leshabirukov » Mon May 09, 2011 6:32 am

Housellama wrote:Here's my tinfoil hat for the day.
The scroll is a Dirtamancy scroll. He's going to undo the traps and close up the holes, leaving Parson trapped underground.

How many thinkamancers does it take to scrape out big fat warlord? Not so many, they can suggest others to do it. It's pity that Maggie's friends can fix nearly anything. I think, it is time for something unplanned to happen.
ImageArkentools of the Erfworld, unite!
leshabirukov

Postby drachefly » Mon May 09, 2011 7:13 am

thaco4 wrote:[equip=tinfoil_hat]Idea!! what if instead of going after Parson he is going to go through GK's portal and hit GK from the portal room. that scroll knocks out everyone in the portal room but the caster. Then goes for Stanley.End GK and everyone goes barbarian. Check sir.[unequip=tinfoil_hat]

Depending on the rules, GK may have an heir unit or two, though one has been captured and the other is kind of suicidal.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby goodmorning » Mon May 09, 2011 7:13 am

I'd forgotten about that conversation lesha. It's hilarious, and probably one of my favourite text updates ever.

But yes, very interesting point. He did say he wanted to croak a Tool, and this can only mean Wanda or Stanley. Perhaps he had a plan in motion for both? But for Charlie to think of Portal invading at the same time as Parson, and to put a plan in place that quickly... unless he saw Maggie's G-String, it's very unlikely. Just on the stretch of plausible.

So, he was trying to get Wanda croaked, and spent quite a lot of effort on Vanna to get it done, but that seems to have turned around on him. This could be Plan B to get Stanley. Jefti (if it is him) was sent into play only after Wanda and the dragons fell and decrypted, so he could have been contacted as soon as things went south to try the far riskier option of taking down Stanley.

It's possible.
goodmorning

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon May 09, 2011 7:15 am

Quite apart from Parson being kidnapped, or GK facing turnabout on their portal strategy, there's two other issues to consider as well:

a) Sizemore: he needs to get out of the MK, fast.
b) Trem: he's knocked out. There goes the one level-headed man in Jetstone. This is not necessarily a good thing, for all involved.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby joosy » Mon May 09, 2011 7:57 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Morgoloth wrote:Sylvia, who is my least favorite character. Hope she gets recroaked as soon as possible!

Why hello there joosy ;)

Heh - no. But I did resist, with titanic effort, to quote Morgoloth with a simple THANK YOU.
And for the record I don't dislike Sylvia (unless it goads BLAND) I disliked the fans constant obsession over her and overanalyzation of what her holding the Arkenpliers meant, etc. Alas, she, like Spike from Buffy, went from a throwaway character to a supporting cast role. My hope was (is?) that Rob only elevated her so that he could cast her down and thus show the lowly, grovelling, unwashed heathen masses that HE was in charge, not us. Now that I see that is probably not going to be the case, I have been toying with the idea of picking some nameless character and champion/name/baselessly speculate on them in the forums until they too ride proud, properly named, and with a few <character yet to be named/identified>-centric updates.
joosy

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon May 09, 2011 8:03 am

Well, No one in particular is championing Tannoying and Tfabulous right now.

PS: seeing as how Spike is a character in a series by Joss Whedon ... well, let's say that being a named and seemingly important character does not improve your life expectancy.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby msb » Mon May 09, 2011 8:43 am

joosy wrote:And for the record I don't dislike Sylvia (unless it goads BLAND) I disliked the fans constant obsession over her and overanalyzation of what her holding the Arkenpliers meant, etc. Alas, she, like Spike from Buffy, went from a throwaway character to a supporting cast role. My hope was (is?) that Rob only elevated her so that he could cast her down and thus show the lowly, grovelling, unwashed heathen masses that HE was in charge, not us. Now that I see that is probably not going to be the case, I have been toying with the idea of picking some nameless character and champion/name/baselessly speculate on them in the forums until they too ride proud, properly named, and with a few <character yet to be named/identified>-centric updates.

There's a short-white-haired, shapely-assed Jetstone she-soldier that's been in several updates that's starting to be the subject of some similar speculation.

Panel 8, on the left glancing back: http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -12-31.jpg

Panel 5, on the left shutting the door: http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -02-11.jpg

Think there are a couple others.
msb

Postby ryanroyce » Mon May 09, 2011 9:48 am

msb wrote:
joosy wrote:And for the record I don't dislike Sylvia (unless it goads BLAND) I disliked the fans constant obsession over her and overanalyzation of what her holding the Arkenpliers meant, etc. Alas, she, like Spike from Buffy, went from a throwaway character to a supporting cast role. My hope was (is?) that Rob only elevated her so that he could cast her down and thus show the lowly, grovelling, unwashed heathen masses that HE was in charge, not us. Now that I see that is probably not going to be the case, I have been toying with the idea of picking some nameless character and champion/name/baselessly speculate on them in the forums until they too ride proud, properly named, and with a few <character yet to be named/identified>-centric updates.

There's a short-white-haired, shapely-assed Jetstone she-soldier that's been in several updates that's starting to be the subject of some similar speculation.

Panel 8, on the left glancing back: http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -12-31.jpg

Panel 5, on the left shutting the door: http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -02-11.jpg

A 'character' that, I must confess, I have been mentally referring to as "Callie" for her callipygian figure (hat tip to GaryThunder for that one). Ahem.
ryanroyce
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Vreejack » Mon May 09, 2011 10:04 am

Now is the time for Stanley to run back and start to make a mess of things.
So...Watashi wa mizugorō ga sukina koto o kiita, neh?
A Prediction is what would have happened had there been no Prediction. What is scary is that they are also what will happen in spite of the Prediction.
Vreejack

Postby joosy » Mon May 09, 2011 10:07 am

msb wrote:

naw - I think I'll just pick a random crap golem or Transylvitan bat.. o what a bat has already had its own update.. hmm.. perhaps this is a manifestation of a retconjuration?? :)
joosy

Postby justamessenger » Mon May 09, 2011 12:31 pm

splexis wrote:
wrecan wrote:
Stuv wrote:I agree with Billiam and Walt (and Ansan) that
A: it's George Harrison (no epaulettes on that cover, wrecan)

There are absolutely epaulettes on Barry Gibb's costume and they look just like the epaulettes in the comic.

No, there are not: Barry Gibb's costume has shoulder straps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoulder_s ... lder_strap), but not epaulettes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epaulette). However, George Harrison's outfit on SPLHCB does have epaulettes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pepper%27s.jpg).

More to the point, the outfit has the wavy trim at the bottom of the coat, as well as the braiding on the cuffs of the sleeves. Sure, the facial hair doesn't match the album cover, but does match George later on, but there can't possibly be any dispute that it is George's uniform, at the very least.
"Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
- G.K. Chesterton

Special thanks to BLANDCorporatio for the awesome avatar!!
justamessenger

Postby drachefly » Mon May 09, 2011 12:37 pm

joosy wrote:My hope was (is?) that Rob only elevated her so that he could cast her down and thus show the lowly, grovelling, unwashed heathen masses that HE was in charge, not us.

... but... she was something like second in command of RCC1 and was given a dramatic moment before her croaking. She was built up over a long time. When do you think the 'red' fanclub began catapulting her to prominence? Before or after this?
drachefly

Postby joosy » Mon May 09, 2011 12:51 pm

drachefly wrote:
joosy wrote:My hope was (is?) that Rob only elevated her so that he could cast her down and thus show the lowly, grovelling, unwashed heathen masses that HE was in charge, not us.

... but... she was something like second in command of RCC1 and was given a dramatic moment before her croaking. She was built up over a long time. When do you think the 'red' fanclub began catapulting her to prominence? Before or after this?

in the audio clip available to Tools there is a bit where Rob and Jamie are laughing over the life this background character had generated. The fans had named her, speculated on her role, etc. etc. She was intended to be a one off character but was written back in with a bigger role due to the fan attention.
joosy

Postby dirocyn » Mon May 09, 2011 1:38 pm

George Harrison, the Beatle? Jeftichew the Carneymancer? Rasputin? Come on, people, surely there are better conspiracy theorists among you. It's so obvious, Jeftichew and George Harrison are merely new names that the immortal Rasputin adopted, in order to conceal his identity.

Seriously, all we've got is he appears in 4 panels. Clearly he's guarding the Gobwin Knob portal, standing there with a scroll. He's wearing what looks like a marching band uniform, though that doesn't necessarily narrow anything down--all three are showmen.
dirocyn

Postby Shuuwki » Mon May 09, 2011 1:57 pm

See, this right here? This is the kind of detail that drives me reading the whole of Book 2 looking for this guy, trying to piece together his motivations.
Shuuwki

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions