Book 2 – Page 60

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 60

Postby Kaed » Fri May 06, 2011 3:35 pm

I have spent most of the treasury and gems promoting all garrison units to full and sending them out of the city. My casters' names are Vanna, a Turnamancer, Jeftichew, a Carnymancer, Bowie, a Changemancer, and Spenser, a Findamancer. I made them pledge only to work for Royal sides, and sent them to the Magic Kingdom. Please employ them if you can. Tell the other sides the nature of the enemy. This corruptive madness cannot be the Titans' will. Do what you can to stop it, as I now do the only thing left to me.

-Excerpt from Queen Bea's final letter

Wonder if this is coming back to bite us.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby JimSox5 » Fri May 06, 2011 3:36 pm

wrecan wrote:The Sgt. Pepper-ish caste is not George Harrison or any of the Beatles. None of the Beatles had beards in Sgt. Pepper. It's actually -- believe it or not -- Barry Gibb as Mark Henderson in the film of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, from 1978! That film -- which was awful by the way -- had Peter Frampton as Billy Shears *the John Lennon costume), and the Bee Gees (Barry, Robin, and Maurice), as Paul, George and Ringo's characters, respectively. Barry Gibb was credited as "Mark Henderson".

I still think it's looks an awful lot like George from his "All Things Must Pass" era, but in Sgt. Pepper garb, because, well, it's just awesome.
http://cbswrbq.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/george_harrison-all_things_must_pass-frontal.jpg?w=336&h=336
JimSox5

Postby Jorgath » Fri May 06, 2011 3:37 pm

Sixty wrote:Anyone notice in panel 5, in the panel within a panel the portal door looks like it is turning brown and becoming solid and not portally? Maybe when someone goes through it needs a second to recharge though I thought we had a few examples of people going through a portal in rapid succession.

My tin foil hat prediction? George there used some Foolamancy already and the portal appearing activated and normal is an illusion.

That's Parson's cape.
"It matters not how strait the gait,
how charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul."
--William Ernest Henley, Invictus

Jorgath

Postby Jorgath » Fri May 06, 2011 3:41 pm

MichaelR138 wrote:
Jorgath wrote:
MichaelR138 wrote:Have I missed anything?

A Jetpack.

Yes, I had a line in the post initially covering all of Ace's toys, but accidentally edited it out.

Michael

In terms of non-tangible assets:

The fact that it's his turn, so he can cross from tower to airspace.
He can also jump and risk incap or croak, but risk is better than guarantee from having the tower collapse with him in it.

Um...can the Dittomancer replicate Ace's toys? Cause if he can...well, that's multiple casters with jetpacks, vs. Ossomer/Archons.

Jorgath

Postby Sixty » Fri May 06, 2011 3:41 pm

MichaelR138 wrote:
Sixty wrote:Anyone notice in panel 5, in the panel within a panel the portal door looks like it is turning brown and becoming solid and not portally? Maybe when someone goes through it needs a second to recharge though I thought we had a few examples of people going through a portal in rapid succession.

My tin foil hat prediction? George there used some Foolamancy already and the portal appearing activated and normal is an illusion.

I think if you look close you will see the brown is Lord Hamster's cloak, nothign to do with the portal.

Michael

*Smacks head* D'oh! Yeah, major fail on my part there. Ignore what I said previously. :oops:
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby splexis » Fri May 06, 2011 3:45 pm

Sixty wrote:Anyone notice in panel 5, in the panel within a panel the portal door looks like it is turning brown and becoming solid and not portally?

The brown is Hamster's cloak. The bits of portal color are either showing through holes in the cloak, or reflect an uneven surface emerging through the portal (think of every CGI walks through a wall effect, or someone popping through a stargate you have seen onscreen).
splexis

Postby Jorgath » Fri May 06, 2011 3:46 pm

TheMutant wrote:Yknow, the more I think about it, the more I'm sold on the idea that George isn't a part of the defense group, but rather a pawn of Charlie. OH DEAR. But it'd fit- Charlie knows that Parson can enter the MK, he may even know that Parson was going there right now (if you believe the Thinkagram-tapping speculation), and didn't the Thinkamancers turn up in a big group? This guy's (seemingly) alone and hiding riiight behind the GK portal. And for that matter, the group was still on the path when we last saw them, which was mere moments before Parson went through.

/removes hat

George IS Charlie!!!

/onlykindajoking

Jorgath

Postby Ansan Gotti » Fri May 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Ooh, I think Walt and Billiam are on to something! Love it. "We get by with a little help from our friends," indeed.
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Atomic » Fri May 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Jorgath wrote:George IS Charlie!!!

/onlykindajoking
Don't be silly... Charlie is still inside of Spacerock and perfectly safe*. You can see him in Panels 1 and 12. Although it makes me wonder what he's thinking... in panel one Charlie seemed all too willing to retrieve the king, but maybe that's because he wanted the bonus of having all those casters to protect him? In panel twelve we see Charlie is debating whether or not to just give the money to Jetstone for their own survival. Tough choices.

*as safe as anyone can be while in the vicinity of Sylvia...
Rob Balder wrote:We have one rule in these forums: don't be a dick.
Atomic

Postby coyo » Fri May 06, 2011 3:58 pm

Stanley knows Hamster was caught in a trap (even if it was Sizemore's). The look to me says one of concern and worry more than anger.

I think Stanley knows how important a unit Hamster is.

Man, I do like the suspense. Way to go to have characters on any side of the conflicts be important to us readers.
. o O (we're just approximations of ourselves)
. o O (imagination is)
coyo
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby badninja » Fri May 06, 2011 4:06 pm

Nice now this battle is getting interesting, as in omg did that just happen! I like how the Tool did not know about Parson's ability to enter the MK until now. Now as Parson makes his dash I got a feeling that Charlie will not be happy with this development. Who ever the new caster is, some people think it is one of the Beatles. I feel that Parson has been setting up this plan a little longer then we have thought as that caster was holding a scroll and was behind the portal.

Rob how do you keep finding ways to surprise us so often and so completely?! The art work is top notch as always with kudos to the art team, now I gotta sit back as I am about to fall of the edge of my seat!
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby shneekeythelost » Fri May 06, 2011 4:07 pm

And here I was expecting "Sonic BOOM!"... then again, I've always been an old-school Street Fighter's fan.

I do not like that His Toolship is getting involved. Remember Parson's comment? "As far as helping his side, His Toolship is somewhere between Gilligan and Starscream". Yea, we *really* don't want him getting involved right now while we've got them on the ropes.
shneekeythelost

Postby wykstrad » Fri May 06, 2011 4:09 pm

Uthrac wrote:Cue the Benny Hill music indeed . . . .

As you wish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM140W-uWqo&feature=fvst

It might just be that I've been playing some old-school Sonic lately, but I really think that Sega's logo music should serve as an sonic attack in Erfworld. Not only did it involve Sonic running back and forth, but if you had the speakers set at a reasonable volume it would come out loud enough to blow them out.
Last edited by wykstrad on Fri May 06, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wykstrad

Postby Wayne » Fri May 06, 2011 4:18 pm

I hate the waiting. I need to go away for six months, come back, and then read straight thru.
Wayne
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby leshabirukov » Fri May 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Kaed wrote:
I have spent most of the treasury and gems promoting all garrison units to full and sending them out of the city. My casters' names are Vanna, a Turnamancer, Jeftichew, a Carnymancer, Bowie, a Changemancer, and Spenser, a Findamancer. I made them pledge only to work for Royal sides, and sent them to the Magic Kingdom. Please employ them if you can. Tell the other sides the nature of the enemy. This corruptive madness cannot be the Titans' will. Do what you can to stop it, as I now do the only thing left to me.

-Excerpt from Queen Bea's final letter

Wonder if this is coming back to bite us.

I also thought that "Harrison" is Jeftichew. If so, it's interesting, what is he plans to do.
ImageArkentools of the Erfworld, unite!
leshabirukov

Postby wykstrad » Fri May 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Don't know if this has been covered, but Hermione's almost definitely a Thinkamancer- right?
wykstrad

Postby Stuv » Fri May 06, 2011 4:34 pm

Stanley's reaction may only be in response to Parson leaving GK - his face wouldn't fit very well in panel 4.

I agree with Billiam and Walt (and Ansan) that
A: it's George Harrison (no epaulettes on that cover, wrecan) and
B: he's a GMtTA, and so got into position to use that scroll (which happens to be a different color or a different scroll entirely as compared to p57; blue now, red before) and help Parson.
Assuming that he is not privy to Maggie's message, I expect he'd have to be a Dirtamancer, as no one else in the Magic Kingdom detected "Mind the Gap". I think he's a Hippiemancer despite what's been said, just take a look at his Abbey Road days. The man was a total mystic.

Kaed, I bet it will come back to bite us (it kind of already has with Vanna) but I don't think we're looking at Jeftichew, Spenser or Bowie anywhere in the recent updates, and I'm going by the name associations suggested by the wiki. I'm looking forward to seeing them in action though. Point of interest, Vanna has solid black eyes, and so does Stanley, however Sizemore does not. What's been said about Signamancy and Tribes and all that?

The other 'mancer in panel 5 is bugging me - I don't recognize that head decoration, but it is pretty striking - and I don't think it's Pinhead.

Also, incredible sound effect, yes. I also expected Sonic Boom or Sonic the Hedgehog, but "Drive-In" is punnier here. Any more "Jason" name theories for Tram's knights now that we're seeing more clearly?
Stuv

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Fri May 06, 2011 4:54 pm

mortissimus wrote:So Stanley noticed that Parson left for the Magic Kingdom. Wonder how detailed the Rulers knowledge of troop placement is?

Any GK unit in the GK hex could have noticed the Chief Warlord bonus decreasing from the in-hex value to the global value.

coyo may also be right about Stanley detecting that Parson was affected by a dirtamancy trap.

ryanroyce wrote:At first blush, I had George pegged as a Hippiemancer, but after a quick googling revealed this quote ("Hippies are so phoney and fake" -- George Harrison), I now suspect that he's an agent of Charlie's in disquise.

He was there before the GMTTA arrived on the scene (see p57) so he isn't likely one of them. He also appeared to be watching Sizemore & Co as they walked by, so it seems like he knew what was up before even Janis did, indicating that isn't a Hippie. Charlie is the only other party, I believe, that could be expecting Parson's arrival.

Wow, nice catch!
Chit Rule Railroad

Postby obscureinfo » Fri May 06, 2011 4:59 pm

I realize this has not been a good week for the writer, but this update was weak. WEAK! Rather than resolve anything, they just cliffhanged every part of the plot. I would have rather focused on what was happening at Spacerock OR Hamster's 50ft yd dash in the MK. This left me disappointed and knowing that it may be two weeks before this is resolved, (if there is another text update instead of comic) unsatisfied. I kind of want to forget about erfworld for a month or two and then read them back to back for continuity. But every other day, I check back "just in case". Is there any way to speed up the updates? Or maybe a double size update like OOTS does from time to time.
"It's nice to know I am not the only one with a wealth of worthless knowledge." Huey Freeman, Boondocks
obscureinfo

Postby reteo » Fri May 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Is it just me, or does George/Jeftichew/whomever seem to be responding to Hamster's comment about the Benny Hill music? It's hard to tell, but he almost looks like he's smirking.
reteo

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions